Games you wish you had played "back in the day"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

ok, so I've been trying to get through Fallout 1 and 2, because I recognize why people like it and it does have very interesting dialogue and stuff, but the combat is so fucking slow, even with everything turned up, that it's just a chore to fight anything. But I feel like I would have loved this game if I had played it, even a year or two after it came out (if I remember right I didn't have a computer decent enough to play em until like 2000 or something) is there any games you would have liked to have played, back in the DAY?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

Fallout 2 came out in 1998.  To me, that's not "back in the day".   Hell, I still regularly play games from that time.  

Now, I never played Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, or Grim Fandango.   I know, I am a bad person.  I should really pick them up when I can. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Animasta

@TekZero said:

Fallout 2 came out in 1998. To me, that's not "back in the day". Hell, I still regularly play games from that time.

exactly, but I was 7 when it came out, so...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Deus Ex. It's so difficult to get into. I might have better luck with Human Revolution.

Fallout 1/2's combat is excellent still because of the tactical nature of it. I played them around 2001-2003 and had tons of fun. If you just wanna blast through the combat, grab one of the character editors and beef up your stats so you can enjoy the rich atmosphere and story. I think they're called FALCHE.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By hockeymask27

Final Fantasy and Metal gear in there heydays would have been sweet. I feel its to late to jump on. I know besides X the Final Fantasy games are not sequels to each other but still.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By YI_Orange

I can't think of any actually, maybe because I've been playing games since the NES and I don't mind playing old games. Some are a pain in the ass, but everything is made easier with emulators. I played Act Raiser not too long ago and while in old game fashion it was plenty cheap, save states made it so I could just load rather than have to redo a bunch of a stuff a million times just to die to the same things.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By SumDeus

All of the Half Life games, all of the Zelda games, all of the Final Fantasy games, the original Fallout games... 

In nearly 18 years I have never played any of those games with very few exceptions.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chummy8

Yeah, the first Final Fantasy game I played was 7, so I wish I could go back and play the original US releases in order. 

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Sayishere

The original FF series, especially like 4-6. I never owned a SNES, which i regret to be honest, i would of been blown away by the story arcs and things at that age.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By NathHaw

@Hockeymask27: The most excited I ever got about beating a game was Final Fantasy on the NES. I literally ran around the house screaming. I guess I was 11 or 12 at the time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Vagrant Story. Often heralded by many I've seen to be one of the greatest games of all time, and I could definitely imagine myself in the late 90s and early naughts getting some fun out of it. But when I gave it a chance through PSN, I'd always get bored after about an hour. 

The same thing with the original Baldur's Gate games. I bought Both w/ expansions for £15 a few months ago because of checking out the raving reviews and banking of my love DA: Origins to allow a smooth initiation, and as it turns out I don't want anything to do with them because of the graphics and daunting gameplay =/ I almost pissed my pants when I was given a full part of eight (?) during this tutorial mission. So much archaic shit to wade through that I don't think I'll ever be able to play them seriously.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Alpha Centauri. So, so bad.

I dream of an Alpha Centauri 2 which is done in the more accessible style of Civ 5. Don't shoot me, I just think Civ 4 and earlier are way too complicated without having to be. Oh, and Baldur's Gate.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@Ertard said:

Alpha Centauri. So, so bad.

I dream of an Alpha Centauri 2 which is done in the more accessible style of Civ 5. Don't shoot me, I just think Civ 4 and earlier are way too complicated without having to be. Oh, and Baldur's Gate.

OH YEAH! that too. I bought it from GoG, and then was so daunted by all the weird options and shit. I even played Civ 4 (not well, but still)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Dude totally! I was really hoping for a deeper set of mod tools for Civ5 so somebody could remake Alpha Centauri. I also would have liked to play a lot of those classic Black Isle and Bioware RPGs when they were new.

It also would have been neat so see PacMan and Pong when they were new. Just to have my mind blown by what we consider lame today.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dillonwerner
@SumDeus said:
All of the Half Life games, all of the Zelda games, all of the Final Fantasy games, the original Fallout games...    
 In nearly 18 years I have never played any of those games with very few exceptions.
Wow, you really suck.
Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Dingofighter

Street Fighter  
Mortal Kombat 

Pretty much any Arcade games, really... 
I don't know why, but recently I've become really fascinated with Arcade games, so much so that I want to buy an actual Arcade Machine. I probably shouldn't do that though...

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dogma

Hmm...back in the day so I gues that makes it the 80s for me then.

I have almost no experience with the Atari 2600. That may have been nice to have but at the same time we had NES, Commodore and Amiga so they were much better performance wise so I understand why a kid version of me not would be interested in an Atari during the middle part of the 80s. I have quite a experience with NES so I guess my pick would be some old PC game like Populous.

Damn, this was hard. I probably would have it easier to choose some games from the late 90s or something like that. Around that time period my PC gaming went down a lot. That's what I mainly want to fill in my blanks.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chummy8
@Abyssfull said:
Vagrant Story. Often heralded by many I've seen to be one of the greatest games of all time, and I could definitely imagine myself in the late 90s and early naughts getting some fun out of it. But when I gave it a chance through PSN, I'd always get bored after about an hour.  The same thing with the original Baldur's Gate games. I bought Both w/ expansions for £15 a few months ago because of checking out the raving reviews and banking of my love DA: Origins to allow a smooth initiation, and as it turns out I don't want anything to do with them because of the graphics and daunting gameplay =/ I almost pissed my pants when I was given a full part of eight (?) during this tutorial mission. So much archaic shit to wade through that I don't think I'll ever be able to play them seriously.
Baldur's Gate is probably my all time favorite series.  I played them when they were new and I still play BG2 every so often just to try something new.  I'm still in the middle of another playthrough right now actually. 
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Well the main problem with jumping into Baldur's Gate series is that it absolutely requires you to have a basic understanding of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Which is similar to most fantasy RPG's but seeing THACO for the first time isn't as intuitive as it could be.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imsh_pl

Metal Gear Solid. I played for and didn't really get anything what was going on, but still loved the mechanics. I didn't really play any Zelda games except the DS ones, too...

I have a lot of catching up to do, I've been gaming "seriously" for only 5 years now (PS3 is my first console).

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By beargirl1

not exactly "back in the day" but i wish i was playing Third Strike when it was new.. and didn't it have online play on xbox? 

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By MoonlightMoth

Planescape: Torment.

gillman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By gillman

Anything that would have forced me to learn Japanese.  Punching myself for being old and not knowing it all along.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dungbootle

FF7

KeyboardJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KeyboardJunkie

Half Life definitely springs to mind.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By donchipotle

Chrono Trigger. To me it just felt like a run of the mill SNES RPG with good music. Same way I felt about pretty much every SNES RPG.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#27  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hmm. I've been a gamer since the mid-eighties, and I don't really have any qualms about playing older games now. That being said, there are a few multiplayer games I wish I could have gotten into sooner so I would have had a fighting chance of learning the ropes. I'm mostly thinking of games like Starcraft, but I also would have loved to have been a part of an active arcade community in regards to games like Street Fighter 2 (which I thought I was pretty good at locally, but never had much a chance to play).

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

Most Final Fantasy games.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Deus Ex, because I played it last year for the first time and it's one of my favorite games ever. I can't imagine how much I would have loved it if I had played it upon its release.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I rarely have problems with outdated graphics, but an older game i couldn't get into was Baldur's Gate...i just cant.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jimi

Fallout 1 and 2

Starcraft: Brood War

System Shock 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I never had a Super Nintendo so pretty much every great game for that system that hasn't been ported.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I can't think of a single one.

saxmusician20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By saxmusician20

Anything on the Sega Genesis (I was a Nintendo fanboy right up until the N64 stopped making games). I didn't have one so I couldn't play Space Harrier, Altered Beast, the better Mortal Kombat, and X-men. I never liked Sonic though. 

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By swfcfan

Final Fantasy, Metroid, Zelda and Mario on the NES (I owned a Sega Master System)

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By aleryn

The Guardian Legend, released in the late 80s for the Famicom and NES.  As a child, I judged the game by it's North American box-art.  If I had at least checked out the back side of the box, I would have seen it was a lot like other games I enjoyed.  With the great hook of a female protagonist that can turn into a starfighter.  It would have combined my love of Zelda styled games, with overhead shooters like Star Soldier, and 1942.  Oh well, I think it's available on Wii's Virtual Console.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By Turambar

Deus Ex.  I bought it off Steam earlier this year and simply couldn't get into it.  My innate FPS aversion aside, everything about the basic combat just felt too dated to even tolerate.

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shamroll

I never played the first or second Deus Ex.  I got them cheap on Steam not too long ago and tried to play through the first one and just couldn't get through it.  The controls are unintuitive to my fps conditioned mind and nothing seems that well explained.  I'm sure if I spent more time with it I would discover what everyone loved about it but for now I have other games I can play.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would say Metal Gear Solid, FFVII and Mortal Kombat.  i was too young at the time to play those games

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By Jeust

Planescape Torment, and Knights of the Old Republic. 

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By FireBurger

I wish I had finished Half-Life (got really far, but lost the save). I also kind of wish I had gotten in on the ground floor with Counter-Strike. 

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By obinice

Baldurs Gate. Or really, any old console games. My friends all had Megadrives when they were kids, and my first console was an Xbox 360. It's a shame that I'll never feel the joy of reliving the memories of those old games (unless you count replaying Mass Effect in 20 years!).

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aronman789

Alpha Centari, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum.  

I've tried so hard to get into those and just can't.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By Astras

Chrono trigger (Played it 2006 :( - still amazing tho) 
Symphony of the night (Played it 6 months ago - would of killed it tho back in the day) 
Planescape Torment (Played 2010, Loved it though) 
Final fantasy tactics psx (Havn't played it still, I've got it and try everynow and again to get into it)  
Conkers bad furday - (still need to play this game) 

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SumDeus
@DillonWerner said:
@SumDeus said:
Wow, you really suck.
I know, Dillon :(
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lemmycaution217

MGS, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By BoG

Everything. All I do is play old games these days. If only my childhood self had chosen something aside from Crash: Warped (which is still pretty fun, by the way).
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By TobbRobb

Fallout and Deus Ex. The Snes Final Fantasies, "I have played VI to clarify, it just underwhelmed me a bit"

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brockly46
@KeyboardJunkie said:
Half Life definitely springs to mind.
Same here