Gaming chairs

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I keep seeing everyone with these DXRacer chairs and some are using $1000 Herman Miller chairs. What is the deal (Seinfeld voice) with these chairs, are they really worth it? I'm looking to replace my old chair but I'm not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

For people who stream I'm gonna say its a perception thing. I have a regular, nice, office chair and actually prefer it to one of these "looks over function" chairs that my brother owns.

Spindini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Spindini

Those Herman Miller chairs are awesome but for $300 I bought a Serta which has been great for long sessions. The only problem is the arm rest sometimes get in the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I use a Herman Miller Aeron at work. A really comfortable, dependable chair build. Pricey, but the value is clear.

Some people swear by those DXRacer bucket seats but the faux-street racer aesthetic just makes me roll my eyes.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Those $300 racing style gamer seats are usually* super awful over priced nonsense. With all gamer brand bollocks, just buy a decent brand for the same money and get a better product.

*By usually I mean every one I know of but I don't know 'em all so I can't speak to 'em all.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I sit in a beat-up old chair made out of a whiskey barrel. $150 and perfectly comfortable.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

@spindini said:

Those Herman Miller chairs are awesome but for $300 I bought a Serta which has been great for long sessions. The only problem is the arm rest sometimes get in the way.

I also bought a $300 Serta last summer and it hasn't failed me yet! No, seriously, I can sit in this thing and play games for hours without discomfort.

I'm sure those expensive "gaming" or whatever chairs and those thousand dollar Herman-Miller chairs are pretty good at what they do but I'm not rich. $300 was a tough enough purchase but I was really tired of cheapass chairs that get uncomfortable after an hour.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just get a good ergonomic chair, if you look up reviews on office chairs you will see the lay of the land. As for advice - I hear good things about Serta 44103 Air Health and Wellness. Shop around some places sell them for $160 and some for $299, so make sure you are finding the best price.

I have one of those $1,000 Herman miller chairs at work that is all mesh...its old now but even new I thought it was pretty crappy. It certainly was not worth the price we paid for a set of ten.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've got your fatal1ty edition pro electronic sports chair right here:

No Caption Provided

get that with the foot rest and you're cooking with (e)gas.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@poveren said:

I keep seeing everyone with these DXRacer chairs and some are using $1000 Herman Miller chairs. What is the deal (Seinfeld voice) with these chairs, are they really worth it? I'm looking to replace my old chair but I'm not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks.

I'm also certain most streamers who sit on said chairs are being sponsored by companies who make them and are given the product for free exposure.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I sit on couch. Those chairs just seem to be part of a My First Stream kit.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger streamers get them for free from the manufacturers. I know guys whove bought Astros and Gunner game glasses because streamers they like use them.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Got an akrracing bucket seat gamer chair and its incredibly comfortable and well built, better than any ergonomic chair ive owned before it..but came in at around 250bucks.

ancelotti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a DXRacer on sale last year and have been very happy with it the past few months. It's extremely adjustable so my arms, wrists, neck, back, etc. are all well supported. I never understood the whinging about gamer products. There's plenty of high and low quality stuff in any range, and most gamer lines have muted colours that wouldn't really be out of place in most offices. I think if you are average sized and don't have back/neck problems or sit in a chair for very long, then something like a DXRacer may not be worth the price. Otherwise, if you like the aesthetic or have particular ergonomic requirements then I think you'll find these types of chairs better than even their office equivalents, which look boring to me and often have far fewer features.

No Caption Provided

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it for computer playing purposes, or sit in front of the TV purposes? If it's in the home theater, sit in front of the TV chair, don't get a computer chair.

Avatar image for arbitrarypocket
ArbitraryPocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArbitraryPocket

Did a lot of research on this a couple of months back as I've needed a new chair as well. I probably checked every website about gaming chairs in existence... better safe than sorry!

There a few things to consider before you get yourself a gaming chair so I suggest you read up about them on http://www.gamingchairsxp.com .

I was planning to get a DXRacer at first too... because, well, they are probably the best gaming chairs on the market. But that was a bit above my budget so with the recommendation of the website above ended up getting myself a RapidX and I would dare argue that it's as good as DXRacer chairs. Comfortable, fits me perfectly, does everything a gaming chair should do and it is cheaper than most of the brands.

I have no idea about Herman Miller chairs though... I mean a $1000 for a chair? Come on...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uhtaree

No, they are sheeple and have to look like every other streamer, or their fans gifted them because they are lonely and hate their money. I can remember at least two streams I watched pretty regularly where the streamer questioned the herd mentality of the chairs and was either gifted one or bought themselves anyway because it's just how streamers are supposed to look.

EDIT: the overpriced Beats headphones vs. perfectly fine other modern headphone situation also comes to mind.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems more like a #Brands! thing than anything else.

I assume they are comfortable for sitting, but they look absolutely garish.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided

I got this dxracer like a month ago. Very nice, for the price, and the color scheme is available at all. All the nicer colors from the other models, are unavailable, basically. I found a coupon code at the time. I'm very happy. It has big giant wheels.

JBWalton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming branded stuff is always so garish. A decent office chair does the trick (although my beat up sofa works for me). unrelated, Ive returned to PC gaming after a long absence. I want just one peripheral that doesn't have some kind of light on it. My tower, keyboard and mouse. Its crazy distracting at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a DX Racer, but that's because I'm a big (aka heavier) guy so I needed something with a higher weight rating (since good luck finding anything heavy duty these days). Honestly, it's all right but I wouldn't probably buy a second one just because the butt portion could use a little more cushion and the ergonomics are a little off for someone my height.

I use an Aeron at work also, and they're expensive as FUCK but work really well.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually find the DX racer chairs super uncomfortable. They crowd my shoulders and push them forward. A lot of them feel like the seat isn't large enough either, my legs hang over the edge and don't have enough support between the knee and mid thigh because the seat stops at the mid thigh or even further up. Sometime that's an issue with the lower back supports they can have, but even without that it's noticeable.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought a DXRacer chair 3 years ago and rarely use it because I find it super uncomfortable. Herman Miller chairs are also kind of uncomfortable, but that's because many of them force you to not sit like a gremlin - they are made for long days of sitting at a computer, not lounging.

For my money, one of the best chairs I ever had was a $60 office chair from Office Max.

reyrenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming chair of BestOffice, I'm not a gamer but I have to sit at my desk a lot so I wanted something more comfortable. This chair is comfortable, easy to assemble, looks good, and has a massage machine is a plus.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I said this four years ago, but since this thread is alive again and ist matters I'll say it again -- do not buy a gaming chair.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is nothing inherently wrong with gaming chairs. It purely depends on your body size and shape.

I'm a pretty little guy(5'7" 140lbs) and I love my secretlab. Pretty much all of my back and wrist pain disappeared when I started using it.

Would I LIKE a steelcase or hermna miller? Sure, but I really don't think the price will justify the minor increase in ergonomics. Really the only thing embody and leap have is the back contouring. So you don't have to manually adjust the back rest.

Yeah you can find them used, but that comes with its own issues. And the cheaper "ergonomic task chairs" seen like a lottery in terms of quality.

I actually opted to go the secretlab/standing desk route. A standing desk to me is a way better investment and after all was said and done I came out a little cheaper than getting a super fancy ergonomic chair.

All that said, secretlab is literally the only company I would buy that style of chair from(no I'm not sponsored by them lol).

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By myke_tuna

My wife got herself a gaming chair and she likes it, but I'm glad she did because I realized that I did not.

After some digging around, I got myself a Steelcase Leap V2 from Crandall Office Furniture. I don't want to sound like an ad, but their "remanufactured" process and return policy seemed legit, so I bought one. It was half the price of a new one, but it's been restored and comes with a 12 year warranty (same as the new ones). There was a pretty in depth process video last year, but for now this is what I could find.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a Steelcase Gesture at work. It’s honestly the only thing I miss about going into the office. I almost bought one over the summer because I was having back issues with my chair at home, but I ended up buying a Secret Labs chairs because it was about $800 cheaper. The Secret Labs chair is not nearly as nice as the Steelcase, but it gets the job done. My biggest issue with the SecretLabs chair is it’s a little too firm and not as adjustable. With that said, it had solid back support, which is exactly what I needed.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steelcase or Herman Miller if you've got the $$$ to burn.

I also REALLY like Secret Lab chairs (I own 3 Titans). For the price point and value they can't be beat, in my opinion. They're VERY well-built, durable chairs (tip: get the softweave). I can spend hours or all day in them quite easily.

genericrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive had a Herman Miller Aeron for a long time... feels like about a decade maybe. great chair! its expensive yes, but had it for so long with no issues now it was a good investment.

Avatar image for deactivated-601c3ec725bda
deactivated-601c3ec725bda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even have one lol

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sit on the floor like an animal. Return to the ground that birthed you. Become one with both nature and machine. Reject " comfort ".

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

An office building in my city went under during lockdown and were using a third party to sell 900+ of their Steelcase Leap V2's so I picked one of those up for only a few hundred bucks (Canadian). I enjoy it so far but I don't have a lot of other chairs to compare it to unfortunately. From my research it seems like a situation like this is a fairly common occurrence in metropolitan cities so my recommendation is if you aren't in a rush keep an eye out on Kijiji or whatever your local marketplace is for someone to be offloading some Herman Miller or Steelcase.