Gaming chairs

#1 Posted by poveren (320 posts) -

I keep seeing everyone with these DXRacer chairs and some are using $1000 Herman Miller chairs. What is the deal (Seinfeld voice) with these chairs, are they really worth it? I'm looking to replace my old chair but I'm not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks.

#2 Posted by sammo21 (5976 posts) -

For people who stream I'm gonna say its a perception thing. I have a regular, nice, office chair and actually prefer it to one of these "looks over function" chairs that my brother owns.

#3 Edited by Spindini (188 posts) -

Those Herman Miller chairs are awesome but for $300 I bought a Serta which has been great for long sessions. The only problem is the arm rest sometimes get in the way.

#4 Posted by inevpatoria (7487 posts) -

I use a Herman Miller Aeron at work. A really comfortable, dependable chair build. Pricey, but the value is clear.

Some people swear by those DXRacer bucket seats but the faux-street racer aesthetic just makes me roll my eyes.

#5 Posted by AlexW00d (7573 posts) -

Those $300 racing style gamer seats are usually* super awful over priced nonsense. With all gamer brand bollocks, just buy a decent brand for the same money and get a better product.

*By usually I mean every one I know of but I don't know 'em all so I can't speak to 'em all.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (5874 posts) -

I sit in a beat-up old chair made out of a whiskey barrel. $150 and perfectly comfortable.

#7 Edited by Justin258 (15693 posts) -

@spindini said:

Those Herman Miller chairs are awesome but for $300 I bought a Serta which has been great for long sessions. The only problem is the arm rest sometimes get in the way.

I also bought a $300 Serta last summer and it hasn't failed me yet! No, seriously, I can sit in this thing and play games for hours without discomfort.

I'm sure those expensive "gaming" or whatever chairs and those thousand dollar Herman-Miller chairs are pretty good at what they do but I'm not rich. $300 was a tough enough purchase but I was really tired of cheapass chairs that get uncomfortable after an hour.

#8 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7695 posts) -

Just get a good ergonomic chair, if you look up reviews on office chairs you will see the lay of the land. As for advice - I hear good things about Serta 44103 Air Health and Wellness. Shop around some places sell them for $160 and some for $299, so make sure you are finding the best price.

I have one of those $1,000 Herman miller chairs at work that is all mesh...its old now but even new I thought it was pretty crappy. It certainly was not worth the price we paid for a set of ten.

#9 Posted by mellotronrules (2634 posts) -

i've got your fatal1ty edition pro electronic sports chair right here:

No Caption Provided

get that with the foot rest and you're cooking with (e)gas.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
#10 Posted by President_Barackbar (3643 posts) -
@poveren said:

I keep seeing everyone with these DXRacer chairs and some are using $1000 Herman Miller chairs. What is the deal (Seinfeld voice) with these chairs, are they really worth it? I'm looking to replace my old chair but I'm not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks.

I'm also certain most streamers who sit on said chairs are being sponsored by companies who make them and are given the product for free exposure.

#11 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3917 posts) -

I sit on couch. Those chairs just seem to be part of a My First Stream kit.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger streamers get them for free from the manufacturers. I know guys whove bought Astros and Gunner game glasses because streamers they like use them.

#12 Edited by Yesiamaduck (2567 posts) -

Got an akrracing bucket seat gamer chair and its incredibly comfortable and well built, better than any ergonomic chair ive owned before it..but came in at around 250bucks.

#13 Posted by ancelotti (11 posts) -

I bought a DXRacer on sale last year and have been very happy with it the past few months. It's extremely adjustable so my arms, wrists, neck, back, etc. are all well supported. I never understood the whinging about gamer products. There's plenty of high and low quality stuff in any range, and most gamer lines have muted colours that wouldn't really be out of place in most offices. I think if you are average sized and don't have back/neck problems or sit in a chair for very long, then something like a DXRacer may not be worth the price. Otherwise, if you like the aesthetic or have particular ergonomic requirements then I think you'll find these types of chairs better than even their office equivalents, which look boring to me and often have far fewer features.

No Caption Provided

#14 Posted by NTM (11906 posts) -

Is it for computer playing purposes, or sit in front of the TV purposes? If it's in the home theater, sit in front of the TV chair, don't get a computer chair.

Avatar image for arbitrarypocket
#15 Edited by ArbitraryPocket (10 posts) -

Did a lot of research on this a couple of months back as I've needed a new chair as well. I probably checked every website about gaming chairs in existence... better safe than sorry!

There a few things to consider before you get yourself a gaming chair so I suggest you read up about them on http://www.gamingchairsxp.com .

I was planning to get a DXRacer at first too... because, well, they are probably the best gaming chairs on the market. But that was a bit above my budget so with the recommendation of the website above ended up getting myself a RapidX and I would dare argue that it's as good as DXRacer chairs. Comfortable, fits me perfectly, does everything a gaming chair should do and it is cheaper than most of the brands.

I have no idea about Herman Miller chairs though... I mean a $1000 for a chair? Come on...

#16 Edited by uhtaree (951 posts) -

No, they are sheeple and have to look like every other streamer, or their fans gifted them because they are lonely and hate their money. I can remember at least two streams I watched pretty regularly where the streamer questioned the herd mentality of the chairs and was either gifted one or bought themselves anyway because it's just how streamers are supposed to look.

EDIT: the overpriced Beats headphones vs. perfectly fine other modern headphone situation also comes to mind.

#17 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1631 posts) -

Seems more like a #Brands! thing than anything else.

I assume they are comfortable for sitting, but they look absolutely garish.

#19 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4499 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I got this dxracer like a month ago. Very nice, for the price, and the color scheme is available at all. All the nicer colors from the other models, are unavailable, basically. I found a coupon code at the time. I'm very happy. It has big giant wheels.

#20 Posted by JBWalton03 (4 posts) -

Gaming branded stuff is always so garish. A decent office chair does the trick (although my beat up sofa works for me). unrelated, Ive returned to PC gaming after a long absence. I want just one peripheral that doesn't have some kind of light on it. My tower, keyboard and mouse. Its crazy distracting at times.

#21 Posted by madman356647 (827 posts) -

I bought a DX Racer, but that's because I'm a big (aka heavier) guy so I needed something with a higher weight rating (since good luck finding anything heavy duty these days). Honestly, it's all right but I wouldn't probably buy a second one just because the butt portion could use a little more cushion and the ergonomics are a little off for someone my height.

I use an Aeron at work also, and they're expensive as FUCK but work really well.

#24 Posted by Brackstone (962 posts) -

I actually find the DX racer chairs super uncomfortable. They crowd my shoulders and push them forward. A lot of them feel like the seat isn't large enough either, my legs hang over the edge and don't have enough support between the knee and mid thigh because the seat stops at the mid thigh or even further up. Sometime that's an issue with the lower back supports they can have, but even without that it's noticeable.