• 60 results
Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dem

So my debate is about if Garchomp is really a uber or are trainers just winy wusses? post your opinion and give reason please not just he's uber because his attack stat is high give more reason than just this please thatks^^

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By roofy

wow ok let me figure out where to start,

first: punctu-fucking-ation! (i want to be able to understand your point before the fifth time i read it)
second: usually a debate involves the OP stating their position for someone to rebut against.
third: post this in the pokemon board, so the people that see it have an idea of what your talking about.  EDIT: Still?! I assumed by now, they would have ironed that out :\

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By raviolisumo
@roofy: There's a glitch that generalizes everything. Also, I think Garchomp is a stupid looking pokemon.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

No, he really is uber. It's not enough his attack stat is so high he also has insanely high base speed compared to non-legendary Pokemon in conjunction to that high attack and all around high stats in general. Also sandstorms give him that extra 20% evasion which is just stupidly overpowered considering his other high stats and excellent move sets. He is too powerful for his own good. A novice player with a properly trained Garchomp can take out entire teams without barely being touched if the opponent doesn't know what they are doing. He's an ez mode button.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By dietmango

I don't know about ya'll, but I think Dragonite is still the best dragon Pokemon of all time. Garchomp can go suck it. =P

To be serious, yeah I think he's an uber. His attack stat is already high, and has the biggest advantage during battle in sandstorms (Sand Veil ability). Plus, he has one of the highest stat base out of all the pseudo-legendary ones, beating them at HP and Speed.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By RobotHamster

He's considered an uber.

Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dem

i have to disagree with this. Garchomp is not that tough me and many people i know can easily take out even a ev trained garchomp. also Have you fought a ev trained chansey? you think garchomp is bad i can make a blissey or chansey that will make him look like a peice of cake

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By blair

I think the real debate here is whether or not Garchomp is French.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

How to play Pokemon multiplayer: 

1. Build a team of whatever Pokemon you feel like.
  2. Battle your friends. Legendaries may or may not be allowed.

How not to play Pokemon multiplayer: 
  1. Build a team of chain-breeded Pokemon from a specific tier, with specifically picked or trained natures, IVs and EVs.
  2. Battle other players who have done the same, and bitch about tiers and other stuff you really shouldn't care about when you lose.

Pokemon is relaxing, whimsical fun. If you take matters like "Should Garchomp really be in the über tier?" seriously, you're doing it wrong.

So my answer to your question is: Who gives a shit?
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raviolisumo
@Icemael said:
" How to play Pokemon multiplayer: 

1. Build a team of chain-breeded Pokemon from a specific tier, with specifically picked or trained natures, IVs and EVs.
  2. Battle other players who have done the same, and bitch about tiers and other stuff you really shouldn't care about when you lose.

Pokemon is relaxing, whimsical fun. If you take matters like "Should Garchomp really be in the über tier?" seriously, you're doing it wrong.
"
Well said. It seems like "hardcore" pokemon players are like those insane people that bred Chocobos in FF7.  I don't even know what IV and EV means, but I love playing pokemon for fun.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Icemael: Says you, playing with random Pokemon you like and going up against your friends is damn boring, especially when all of them are terrible at the game. Customizing your Pokemon to play against others who take it seriously is far more "relaxing" than crushing your friends for the 100th time.  

Seriously theres nothing wrong with playing with your friends and all that but playing seriously is a lot of fun, no need to shit on someone's hobby (which yes it still is just as much a hobby as anything else people take "seriously")
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael
@Wes899: To be frank, I don't know what IVs are either. I've just seen it mentioned in serious Pokemon discussions... I think it has something to do with stats.

I do know what EVs are, though. 

@Zenaxzd: I've played one "serious" Pokemon battle (not with my own Pokemon, I should mention). It was the most boring, predictable multiplayer battle I've ever played in any video game. Ever.

And complaining about how you're always crushing your friends in Pokemon is like complaining about how you always crush your friend at a fighting game you've played for years, and that he's barely touched. In situations like those, all you need to do is handicap yourself. In a fighting game, that means letting your friend get a couple of free strikes, or, it it's available, using the handicap feature. In Pokemon, that means getting weaker dudes.
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By dietmango
@Wes899 said:
" @Icemael said:

"
Well said. It seems like "hardcore" pokemon players are like those insane people that bred Chocobos in FF7.  I don't even know what IV and EV means, but I love playing pokemon for fun. "
You're better off not knowing what the IV/EV crap are. I actually ran across that, and wow, people are taking the Pokemon games waaaaay too seriously. I thought catching and battling Pokemon was supposed to be fun, but then you get these hardcore elitists that tell you "your moveset sucks ballz" or something like that. That stuff ruins all that enjoyment for me.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By raviolisumo

I like loading as many HMs as I can onto my starter. That's how I play these games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
@Icemael said:

So my answer to your question is: Who gives a shit? "
"I don't take this game seriously, therefore anyone who does is an idiot."

Great post.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raviolisumo
@ajamafalous: It's pokemon. There's no reason for people to actually get that into it. That's missing the point of pokemon.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By moelarrycurly

The real problem with serious Pokemon battling is the fact that it would take soooo long to get a "properly" trained team i.e. all level 100, right natures, EV/IV maxed, and correct movesets.  It's a total bummer, but I still enjoy fielding a decent squad and throwing my numbers against someone else's.  And according to Smogon, Garchomp is uber, so that's enough for me. 

Also, my Electabuzz is nicknamed Infamous.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Wes899: Actually it promotes the main point of Pokemon: Customization. EVs allow you to shape the stats of Pokemon to your liking, and is simple to do. Want a Snorlax with a ton of HP and Def? Just get EVs in those areas. 

If anything not customizing your Pokemon's stats to your liking is missing the point of Pokemon, not the other way around. It's not like it takes rocket science or a huge time commitment to do it either. Half an hour tops to EV train once you catch the Pokemon/breed for an egg.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ
@Icemael said:

So my answer to your question is: Who gives a shit? "
This. Its supposed to be a game, not a career. Its cool that that depth is there, but IMO eeveers abuse it to the nth degree.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By FengShuiGod
@Blair said:
" I think the real debate here is whether or not Garchomp is French. "
Well, it seems like some people think he is too powerful in battle, so it would be impossible for him to be French.
Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dem

ok here's the low down so far iv can range from 1 to 31 the higher it is, the better that stat can get. EV is traning that spacific stat basically if your chansey have a iv

of 31 for health and you train it to have a max ev of 255 in that stat then chanseys health can hit from 700 to 900 instead of around 600.garchomp is not uber 

people just don't play well against him. use a fast pokemon with an ice move and there garchomp i ko'ed that simple so thats my point. also i agre partially on the 

fact pokemon was more fun before people discovered the stupid ev and iv crap cause now if you fight a trainer with a non ev, iv trained pokemon and they ev 

trained theirs then you are thouroghly screwed

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Fallen189

I don't understand why you people complain about an incredibly deep and complex battle system because you "Don't like it" or "Don't get it"

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raviolisumo
@Fallen189: Its because its pokemon.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
@Wes899 said:
" @Fallen189: Its because its pokemon. "
Riveting argument.
mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mr_faraday

Because the battle system wasnt meant to be complex. People just discovered that they could screw with breeding tricks and turned the game into a hassle instead of a fun "catch em all" game. People seem to have forgotten that the focus of the games was catching not battling.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallen189
@Mr_Faraday said:
" Because the battle system wasnt meant to be complex. People just discovered that they could screw with breeding tricks and turned the game into a hassle instead of a fun "catch em all" game. People seem to have forgotten that the focus of the games was catching not battling. "
So I assume the EV and IV system was just a phenomenally convenient glitch that occured?

@ajamafalous said:
" @Wes899 said:
" @Fallen189: Its because its pokemon. "
Riveting argument. "

Indeed. Call of the uneducated
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Fallen189 said:
" I don't understand why you people complain about an incredibly deep and complex battle system because you "Don't like it" or "Don't get it" "
Exactly, they claim it's full of elitism and haters (not saying it isn't mind you) only to do the same thing themselves, pot meet kettle etc. And honestly it isn't very "complex".  

IVs/EVs are super easy to understand and while IVs can't be manipulated easily (it's like that for a reason) gaining EVs is very simple and not time consuming at all, and it's something the developers stealthily support with stuff like the poketch Counter app without making it blatantly obvious to people that don't care, which is the beauty of it all. If you don't care about it guess what, the game doesn't force it down your throat. But for those that want to actually customize their Pokemon beyond 4 different attacks and a nickname it's nice to have. 
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189
@Zenaxzd said:

" @Fallen189 said:

" I don't understand why you people complain about an incredibly deep and complex battle system because you "Don't like it" or "Don't get it" "
Exactly, they claim it's full of elitism and haters (not saying it isn't mind you) only to do the same thing themselves, pot meet kettle etc. And honestly it isn't very "complex".   IVs/EVs are super easy to understand and while IVs can't be manipulated easily (it's like that for a reason) gaining EVs is very simple and not time consuming at all, and it's something the developers stealthily support with stuff like the poketch Counter app without making it blatantly obvious to people that don't care, which is the beauty of it all. If you don't care about it guess what, the game doesn't force it down your throat. But for those that want to actually customize their Pokemon beyond 4 different attacks and a nickname it's nice to have.  "
Yeah I guess so. It's the extra layer of depth that's in there if you want to go there. They don't force you to do it, and it still is a catch em all fun time game. I don't understand why people claim that because it has a deeper mechanic than is on the top, it's a detriment to the entire thing.
Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dem

yeah its a good system but it sucks if you like to battle and  you don't know about EV/IV or haven't trained any like that so regular trainers might as well call battles off unless they battle a friend who is just as cluless or EV/IV less

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mr_faraday
@Fallen189:
Nope it was something that shouldnt have been there in the first place or ignored all together. The fact that the elites have single handedly ruined online play with these "systems" is enough to say that the game was better off simple.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ajamafalous
@Mr_Faraday said:
" @Fallen189: Nope it was something that shouldnt have been there in the first place or ignored all together. The fact that the elites have single handedly ruined online play with these "systems" is enough to say that the game was better off simple. "
Considering EVs have existed since the first game, there's no way the game "was better off simple."
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By raviolisumo

People that take pokemon seriously are bad people. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Fallen189: The real kicker though is people saying it's always been a simple "catch 'em all" game when a stat molding mechanic (various forms of EVs) has always been in the series since the original Red and Blue on the gameboy. The system has always been there it's just undergone tons of changes, it's not like this stuff has magically popped up in the DS era. It's just became more mainstream (and in turn more interesting) thanks to the internet.
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mcfart
@Dem said:
" So my debate is about if Garchomp is really a uber or are trainers just winy wusses? post your opinion and give reason please not just he's uber because his attack stat is high give more reason than just this please thatks^^ "
Garchomp was the GBA generation's Dragonite. I *think* he also self-learns some good abilities like Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw, so easy to use him correctly. Also his Attack stat is INSANE!
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ajamafalous
@Wes899 said:
" People that take pokemon seriously are bad people.  "
Now you're just fishing for responses.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fallen189
@Mr_Faraday said:
" @Fallen189: Nope it was something that shouldnt have been there in the first place or ignored all together. The fact that the elites have single handedly ruined online play with these "systems" is enough to say that the game was better off simple. "
There's no reasoning with you. This is stupid.  Like this guy
@Wes899 said:
" People that take pokemon seriously are bad people.  "

How is it any different to any other game, except the initial demographic was a younger audience? How is it different to COD? How is it different to <Genre game>?

People will always find a way to become better at things, or the "Elites ruining the system". Welcome to contemporary gaming.
Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dem
@Wes899: i agree with the guy above go away if you have nothing to say
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By raviolisumo

Oh my bad, I thought I could have a different opinion on a message board. I forgot boards are just for fans.   

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Wes899 said:
" Oh my bad, I thought I could have a different opinion on a message board. I forgot boards are just for fans.   

"
There is a major difference in having an opinion and blatantly flaming. For example: 

Different opinion: I don't like EV training personally, but whatevs it's not like I am forced to do it or battle against people that do. 

Flaming: People that take Pokemon seriously are bad people.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think that the problem is that all of the depth of Pokemon is hidden. If the games were more overt about catering to the competitive demographic then I would be alright with it, but as for now playing pokemon seriously requires both excessive grinding and a web page up at all times so you can remember all this shit (because the game doesn't tell you any of it directly and just gives vague hints instead). Otherwise, I would be perfectly fine with crazy people playing Pokemon competitively.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bhhawks78

Any pokemon after the original 151 is bullshit.  No matter how powerful

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZenaxPure
@ArbitraryWater said:
" I think that the problem is that all of the depth of Pokemon is hidden. If the games were more overt about catering to the competitive demographic then I would be alright with it, but as for now playing pokemon seriously requires both excessive grinding and a web page up at all times so you can remember all this shit (because the game doesn't tell you any of it directly and just gives vague hints instead). Otherwise, I would be perfectly fine with crazy people playing Pokemon competitively. "
Depending on the stat you wish to raise it takes less than an hour or half an hour to maximize a stat and be completely done with EV training, I guess for many people that could be considered grinding but half an hour isn't that long compared to the brutality of many games.

Also the developers do too good a job to help those that want to customize their stats it just doesn't open say "HEY THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO WANNA MAXIMIZE THEIR POTENTIAL OF WINNING", much like you say. For example swarms that appear on various days give even faster and easier ways to max a specific stat, the counter poketch app allows you to easily tally EV gain, the "stat enhancing" items put a hell of a lot of EVs into the specific stat, and each game has a NPC who will give you a ribbon saying your pokemon has "worked really hard" that indicates they have the maximum amount of obtainable EVs. 

It's all there in one way or another the developers just chose to hide it from people who aren't looking.
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Shady
@Dem said:
" i have to disagree with this. Garchomp is not that tough me and many people i know can easily take out even a ev trained garchomp. also Have you fought a ev trained chansey? you think garchomp is bad i can make a blissey or chansey that will make him look like a peice of cake "
You do realize Blissey would be destroyed if Garchomp was out, right?
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Romination

This is turning into a worse debate than what started.

Garchomp is a strong, but stupid looking, Pokemon. Check its stats online. I can defeat it easily too, but I type match it, so...I can kinda defeat anything easy.

Pokemon is a terribly deep game. Getting as deep as you want into it is not a bad thing, but you shouldn't tell people off for not getting deep into it. Same for you people saying getting deep is 'missing the point'. No. The fucking point is to have fun. If some people do it through extended customization, EV training and a breeding plan, then happy time for them when they do it. If someone just wants to put together a random team, like I did when I first played, wonderful. It's a game. Shut the fuck up now, people

Herp derp derp!
 Herp derp derp!

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Shady

Look, if you have a good IV spread on Garchomp, there isn't much out there that will OHKO it off the bat. On top of that, it's usually used as a revenge killer, not a lead off. It would be pretty easy too bait someone into trying to take it out just to be denied by a switch.

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ElegantRuby

I think that everyone is missing the point of Pokemon.  Let me remind all of you. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Zenaxzd: I would like it if they did blatantly say: "YO BITCHES, IF YOU KILL A TENTACOOL YOU GET 1 SPEC DEF. EV AND THAT'S GOOD IF YOU ARE A BLISSEY SON", far more than: "Your pokemon has a high attack. If you didn't research it on the internet, you have no idea why you got this ribbon". I think that would help make a lot of the people in this thread who are against competitive battling feel more inclined to agree with you. But we are really just arguing over semantics at this point. 

To actually reply to the original reason why this topic exists: Garchomp still has that 4x Ice Weakness common among all the prominent dragon types. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure no pokemon in the "Uber" bracket has a 4x weakness (and to Ice, which I understand to be stupid common in any competitive situation). Of course, that doesn't change the fact that I think Garchomp looks stupid and would take Salamence, Dragonite or Tyranitar (i.e. the generational high-end pokemon that can only be obtained super late) over it any day.
Dem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dem
@Shady: do you realize i would not compare him to blissey if i knew blissey couldn't beat him but in fact a blissey can stomp him i dunno who's blisseys you've been fighting
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZenaxPure
@ArbitraryWater: Oh don't get me wrong, I am in the same camp with you wishing they would openly state those things. But lets just be honest, look at the ignorant responses in this thread and then ask yourself if it really would be for the best if the developers openly stated this stuff in menus or from NPCes. There would be more stupid whining than there is now about it existing in the first place.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kyreo

Bulbapedia says it's stats are average at 600 total.  That's fine with me...