GB Video Player

cduce2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cduce2411

Is this just me or does it seem, even on high quality, that the new GB video player looks a lot worse than the old one. I kind of prefer the old one because of the large UI. Maybe I'm wrong, but some videos look worse on this video player.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The old one was sooo much better. It loaded faster too. I could play all my videos on high quality and it would load almost instantly, now I'm getting hiccups with the new one.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos

Now that I've been using the newer one more, I'm starting to miss the old one.

I do like being able to skip through a video though.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Djratchet

Also, I liked being able to watch GB videos on my TV via my PS3. can't do that anymore with the new player T_T

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

The new player sucks.  If I pause and come back later, it starts the video from the beginning.  The videos will just stop playing and start buffering forever for no reason too, and I have to refresh the whole page to fix it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

It's been fine on my end, so far.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Wildfire570

I have had no problems with the new video player so far.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I like it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

It seems fine to me. A little clunky in comparison to the other but overall it seems pretty robust. Plus the ability to skip to any section of the video is a great feature for those who want it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

It works flawlessly for me, and I can skip to any part of the video.  IT'S GOOD.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JeevesPleez

It works okay for me too. I'm just wondering why they fixed something that wasn't broken, and from what I hear, may have worked better...

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djratchet

video skip is nice, but the new player has frozen up on me twice now :/

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

Yes, and also:

• The seek bar stays up way too long, causing me to feel like I'm missing things happening at the bottom of the video, so, every time I mouse over the video, I have to go back several seconds to make sure I didn't miss anything.
  • I have to mess with AdBlock Plus/NoScript every time I want to watch a video. Before you say "BUT LOL AJ YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE GIANTBOMB BLOCKED ANYWAY": I'd be alright if I wasn't forced to allow ads from the same domain that every other site on the internet uses for their ads. (Which, while we're on the subject, anyone know of a way I can allow googleadservices only on Giant Bomb?)
  • I can't watch videos in some of my school's computer labs anymore, because goodgleadservices is blocked.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the UI was better on the old one, the controls didn't stick around when i moved the mouse away.  

mohaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mohaim

I don't like the new player at all.  My computer sucks (5 year old laptop), and this was nearly the only fullscreen player that would run smoothly.  It's one of the major reasons that drew me to this site.  I'm really sad that I can't view fullscreen video anymore :(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

The old one didn't scale very well. If you did full screen everything looked extremely pixelated. The new one still seems to have trouble scaling, but it's still much better than the old. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax

The video player will be flawless when I can watch the videos in full screen with perfect quality.

mohaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mohaim
@Geno: I actually liked how it scaled video.  It seemed better to me than it being blurry.  Also, I bet that scaling method was what made the player so efficient.

Actually, I think the new player is better than the old one - being able to skip around and with such a short buffering period is nice.  If only I could change the upscaling method.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Geno
@mohaim said:
" @Geno: I actually liked how it scaled video.  It seemed better to me than it being blurry.  Also, I bet that scaling method was what made the player so efficient. "
There are many sites that use video which both looks and runs better than the GB player; Youtube, Gametrailers etc. 
mohaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mohaim
@Geno: But Gametrailers doesn't have awesome quicklooks!  Blocky scaling might not be the best solution, but I'd prefer it being blocky over being choppy.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By Hector

I'm actually liking the new player, seems more stylish.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By artofwar420

I think we're just used to the old one, but I will take skipping anywhere over whatever glitch I may encounter. None so far... oh wait, where the share to Twitter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's pretty terrible (And no, it's not because of the ads! I'd happily welcome them if they were available here)
I just think it's ugly, slow to actually get started (The player to actually load that is. Never had any problem with the old way of loading, but that's probably cause I have fat pipes) and very cluttered compared to the old one.
I hate to come with negative feedback to the great engineering team cause they have made a fantastic website template with GiantBomb and ComicVine (Probably AnimeVice too, but I haven't swung by)
Plus the amount of trouble people have been having outside of the petty ad complaints make it stick out as not being worthy this site. Then again, they've just implemented it and the guys upstairs will use their talents to optimize or whatever it's called (I ain't no engineer) the player.
But at the moment I'm afraid the license they've paid might just be a waste on par with gin for Jeff and Dave

EDIT: Oh yeah, I completely and agree with the need for ads, but sending a link to someone to the site and the first thing that pops up is "Turn off your ad-blocker!" can leave a sour taste in the mouth of people not familiar with the site. I don't know if you've changed the message, but it does seem a wee bit strict.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By SteveVice

I got used to the old player and I kinda miss it, but I don't think the new one is really that bad.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By s10129107

You couldnt skip around with the old one

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Liminality
@ajamafalous said:
  • I have to mess with AdBlock Plus/NoScript every time I want to watch a video. Before you say "BUT LOL AJ YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE GIANTBOMB BLOCKED ANYWAY": I'd be alright if I wasn't forced to allow ads from the same domain that every other site on the internet uses for their ads. (Which, while we're on the subject, anyone know of a way I can allow googleadservices only on Giant Bomb?)
With Adblock, you do can disable it only on giantbomb.com

No Caption Provided

Mine is in spanish but you can see the option there.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By armaan8014
@ArchScabby said:
" The new player sucks.  If I pause and come back later, it starts the video from the beginning.  The videos will just stop playing and start buffering forever for no reason too, and I have to refresh the whole page to fix it. "
I think switching to progressive mode fixes all problems. try that people!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

As long as I am able to use "progressive" to download the videos before I watch as opposed to "streaming", I am okay with the new player.  I don't have the best broadband, so streaming always produces lots of stuttering when I watch.   By using "progressive" I can d/l the whole thing then watch it without any interrupts.  I watch on "medium" quality, so it looks about the same as always for me.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Trilogy

Its never given me any problems and it actually loads faster for me. The quality is just fine in my opinion. Also, being able to skip through videos is awesome. My only complaint is lack of Duder.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous
@Liminality said:
" @ajamafalous said:
With Adblock, you do can disable it only on giantbomb.com

No Caption Provided
Mine is in spanish but you can see the option there. "
This disables ABP on GB, but it doesn't disable googleadservices on only GB. Currently, I have to temporarily enable googleadservices on NoScript every time I want to watch a video.
dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By dj

At the moment I like the old one. It looked better and worked more efficient. Who knows it might be awesome once the issues get ironed out.