Giant ROM 4 - The Giant Bomb Game Jam Encore

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well now I have no excuse for not picking up Unreal 4 for something. I guess my main game project is going on hold for a week! If anyone wants to PM me Unity questions feel free.

meismike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any good shots of the guys in profile? It is a lot harder to find than I thought.

Sarkahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@carpe_dmt: Thanks but none of that art is by me, most of it is placeholder stuff from Fire Emblem and some of it is from another dude from that project. I'm not an artist and sadly not much an idea guy either. But I'd love to contribute if we can get some game ideas going. Seems like Discord or something similar might work better for communication than the forums though

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carpe_dmt: If you guys are not too full up, I'm just a programmer but would love to get in on this action, this is the first time I've been free during Giant Rom! I'm in GMT

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azuresama: Hey, I'm down to try and make something using INK, I've used Unity a fair amount but will need to take a look at INK and how the plugin works but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. And I'm happy to try and go for a smaller more 'complete-able' project too! PM me and let me know what you're thinking of doing.

JoeSpectacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JoeSpectacles

This sounds like fun, if anyone is looking for a 2D animator/artist, I would love to help out if I can, I've put my name down on the team sheet!

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Aska

I'm doing an East vs. West entry. Whipped this up last night/this morning. Needed to be able to swap physics and control styles on the fly which is set up now.

No Caption Provided

In my mind this is sort of an ambitious project for 8-ish days but at the same time seems doable. Super busy lately though. Good luck to anyone else entering!

Sarkahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sarkahn

@aska: I had a similar idea, basically something like Crash 'N The Boys Street Challenge

In the same boat though, probably way too ambitious for me to pull off in what little free time I have in the next week

Avatar image for thedigitalistic
TheDigitalistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheDigitalistic

@sarkahn said:

In the same boat though, probably way too ambitious for me to pull off in what little free time I have in the next week

This is me too. I'm currently trying to a) come up with a good solid design idea, and b) make it as small-scope as possible.

Usually, I can at least come up with something real simple, but I'm just having trouble here.

Avatar image for thedigitalistic
TheDigitalistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this might be a very dumb question, but what is Rorie's definition of a "chomp" when it comes to cute puppies?

I assume he's not talking about literally eating them.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't have much time to make anything this weekend, but I managed to make a 3D model of a robot in blender and rig it for animation. Hopefully I'll have a little time tomorrow to try animating it.

Not sure what game I'm actually going to make yet as I can't really start till Monday but I have some ideas.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By General_Desire

How feasible is it to dig into Unity/UE4 starting tomorrow and poop something stupid out in 8 days? I have experience with programming on an engineering level, no video game design. Also, I have a full time job :p

Sarkahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@general_desire: UE4 : No way. Unity: Maybe. Just my opinion of course but Unity is ideal for simple fast prototyping and constant changes. UE4 is very very powerful but slow to learn and complicated.

BobbyKatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is any interest in having progress be more public, I recommend using #GiantRom4 on twitter so external folks can check out sweet pics

carpe_dmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hach: @sarkahn: I don't think we're too full up at all! As far as I can tell right now it's me and @chrischeckley on the team with @willza92 as a 'maybe' (He says he might not be able to help as his skillset's more in 2D games)

So, the both of you, (and anyone else that sees this!) are welcome to join the team as well as the discord server I just whipped up, at https://discord.gg/G2wyHSj . As of right now our current ideas are a 3D Missile Command style game for East V. West, A VR enabled first person Puppy chomping game a'la Hungry Hungry Hippos wherein you fill the shoes of rorie and chomp your way through a pit of pups as fast as you can, and a "Eat as much Taco Bell as fast as you can as Dan Ryckert" in the form of a Track and Field set of minigames / test of might. None of that is set in stone though and anyone is welcome to offer ideas.

Welcome to the team!

Sarkahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hach: @sarkahn: I don't think we're too full up at all! As far as I can tell right now it's me and @chrischeckley on the team with @willza92 as a 'maybe' (He says he might not be able to help as his skillset's more in 2D games)

So, the both of you, (and anyone else that sees this!) are welcome to join the team as well as the discord server I just whipped up, at https://discord.gg/G2wyHSj . As of right now our current ideas are a 3D Missile Command style game for East V. West, A VR enabled first person Puppy chomping game a'la Hungry Hungry Hippos wherein you fill the shoes of rorie and chomp your way through a pit of pups as fast as you can, and a "Eat as much Taco Bell as fast as you can as Dan Ryckert" in the form of a Track and Field set of minigames / test of might. None of that is set in stone though and anyone is welcome to offer ideas.

Welcome to the team!

Done and done. To anyone else looking for a team, join the Discord! It's so much nicer for collaboration than forums.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobbykatz: Good idea, I'll totally try to post to that as I go.

If anyone else wants to share progress/details in this thread I'd be into that too. Love seeing people's process and work behind the scenes.

Loading Video...

I'm going for East vs West with a couch competitive sorta thing with characters tied to the staff based on the various video series they've done. I hit a good milestone tonight in that I can define wildly different mechanics and physics based on character choice so I can make each character feel like they do in their original game. Only two are functional right now.

I'm hoping to do some sprite editing so they'll match their respective staff member if time permits.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all. since I'm seeing some progress already I figure I'd show mine. The level is still in block out phase what I got some characters, animation and mechanics working. I'm interested to see what everyone else is up to.

Loading Video...

If anyone needs help with 3d animation or UE4 help just drop me a line I'd be happy to help. Keep up the good work. You duders rock!

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ditshavoc
General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay i'm probably an idiot but I decided to skip the UE4 tutorials I started ages ago but never finished, I'm going to drop Overwatch for a week, I'm going to start binging on my Unity course in stead and send in the shittiest entry in the JAM, GOGOGOGOGO!

I started by making THIS: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20170205T235959&p0=224&msg=Giant+ROM+4+-+Deadline&font=cursive&csz=1

lompeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope I'm not too late! I'd love to help out with some SFX and Music if anyone is needs some for their game! Some examples of my work here: www.minibossaudio.com

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an idea I like but it's too ambitious so I'm doubtful I'll finish on time. Spent most of yesterday in Qubicle making "stand-ins" for the nice models I'll probably never get around to. Oh well, I learned a lot.

No Caption Provided

isomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By isomac
Loading Video...

I started today and this is all I got so far. Just some resource gathering.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomac: Ooo, those gold blocks break apart real nice.

isomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks. Your movement seems spot on in your project or at least how I remember it :)

bobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 36

#78  Edited By bobby

Making progress on my CHOMP GAME for my first Giant ROM.

No Caption Provided

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By General_Desire

I spent today going through the first 4 sections of the Udemy Unity course. Tomorrow section 5 and 6, after that it starts getting 3D so then I'll stop and start making something. I'll stick to 2D and considering I started today and know absolutely nothing yet, I'll keep it to some simple platform/fight/shoot things. Maybe a Mario Party clone combining all the crap I learnt into a couple mini games with shitty sprites.

For the people who know Unity; how difficult is it to do two player mode? Basically just controlling two objects with two different key inputs as ones, right? I could probably reserve one half of the keyboard for player 1 and the other half for player 2?

twswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am a music composer! If you need music let me know! :D

username on itch.io: TCDO

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ditshavoc
No Caption Provided

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Sykosis

En Garde!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ditshavoc

Jeff Gerstmann Is Still A Threat

No Caption Provided

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ditshavoc: Man those models look good. What did you make them in?

@sykosis Also very cool and dynamic looking :) I'm already ashamed of what I'll be capable of lol.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a bunch of spheres spawning from one wall. They move from one side of a map to the other. Then they get destroyed by the opposite wall. Progress!

ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our team's been making some good progress on the War Against the War on Drugs, which is in no way a rip off of any beloved NES classics

Loading Video...

bobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 36

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@sykosis: Please tell me the final climax of the game is a redo of this fight, but with the Knife VS Bat scenario.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sykosis
@zandravandra said:

@sykosis: Please tell me the final climax of the game is a redo of this fight, but with the Knife VS Bat scenario.

Holy crap I didn't even think about that lol. I might do that. I was also going to make a Zobek reference.

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@general_desire: Thanks, am using Adobe Muse for the base and editing in Max where needed. Main issue now is getting the animations working right with UE4, skeletons are weird

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Trying to find a soundboard, anyone got a link to lots of GB dialogue and music?

isomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, really impressive work here and nice first time projects too!

My own project is moving slowly now. I am still just tweaking my resource collection thing. I don't think I have time to finish this. I am still not sure what I even do with the money you get. Doing AI work for RTS type of game seems a bit too extreme for this time. Also not sure how this will fit to any of the themes. Unless you count the factory/refinery eating the gold one big chomp.

Loading Video...

BobbyKatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey music makers, is there anyone that would be able to make a Russian version of the bombcast theme? Seems like a couple of us could use it ;)

Pozxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@general_desire: Hey, I saw the Giant Rom announcement late. I'm currently learning Unity. Let me know if you'd like a shitty partner to work with.

Here's my portfolio: https://bitbucket.org/yomigatech/yorangamedevportfolio

I do alright code, basic 3d modelling, sprites, illustrate, music, etc.

Anyone else who is interested is welcome to pm me.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Aska

Navarro Man joins to replace my old robot boy, he still needs a gun though...

No Caption Provided

EDIT:

Alex Got His Gun

No Caption Provided

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pozo: Hey Pozo, that's nice, thanks, but I'm not sure how feasible this would be. I literally started Sunday and am mainly using this jam as a motivation to finally start learning gamedev, something that has interested me for a long time but has always been halted by my laziness/lack of motivation. I am now racing through a course (as an example, I just made my first Block Breaker type game), and I think if we try to work together I wouldn't even really know how to communicate efficiently yet. As of now I'm thinking of doing some Mario Party clone to showcase some different small things I could make. I am not quite sure yet as to what the "overhead", the playing board would look like. I'd also prefer to make it local multiplayer somehow, not sure yet how. As said, there's quite a lot of variables and unknowns and I might not get much farther than an interactive Christmas card. I'd be interested to hear how you would see an efficient cooperation pan-out; I guess if we stick to the Mario Party like idea we could throw together some seperately made minigames and brainstorm on how the playing board works together?

I also have no graphical/sprite experience whatsoever, so that might defintely come in handy.

ditshavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ditshavoc: That is hilarious (and kind of a nightmare)

Pozxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers