GiantBomb Android Application [ALPHA]

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By drew
@choffy21: There's some new code in the SVN with a lot of UI tweaks etc.  Might try to roll out an incremental update with just those small changes and then leave the bigger feature updates until another release.  We've all been taking a rest of the Christmas break which is why there hasn't been any updates for a while.  I'd say there'll be another one this week though.
turbocake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By turbocake

Great work so far! However, since the last update none if the videos has been working on my Hero - the sound will play, but only the first frame of the video will show. Tried reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone, but no luck. Any ideas?

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By TheGremp

I dunno if it's been mentioned, but this works like a dream on the Samsung Moment (1.5).  I was fiddling around with one at the Sprint store, and everything worked just fine.  I'm picking one up in a few hours (They didn't have any in stock at my location) and this is going to be one of the first things I download, followed by the light saber app. 

Great work you guys! 

Also, is there any possibility at all of having forum access in a future release?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By harris
@TheGremp said:
" I dunno if it's been mentioned, but this works like a dream on the Samsung Moment (1.5).  I was fiddling around with one at the Sprint store, and everything worked just fine.  I'm picking one up in a few hours (They didn't have any in stock at my location) and this is going to be one of the first things I download, followed by the light saber app.  Great work you guys!  Also, is there any possibility at all of having forum access in a future release? "
Forum access will most likely not be implemented unless a future api update allows for it. It would be rather hard to do it without api hooks for the forums.
Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#205  Edited By Luke

This App is one of the things I'm greatful for this year! :p  

Thank you all, to those that made this App a reality! 

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By drew
@Luke: Haha, thanks Luke.  Hopefully we'll have an update for you soon!
digeratix90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By digeratix90

Any news on an update for this app?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By harris
@digeratiX90: Update should be out later today, just have to do some more testing.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By harris

Update out.

-Many UI tweaks and optimizations
-Video's embedded in news stories are now playable

As usual, testing is appreciated!

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By heghmohqib
@harris said:
" @jakob187 said:
" DOOD, AWESOME!  I'll have to go DL the update now.  The last one was pretty damn solid.  Also, ZOMG, WHY ISN'T THIS THREAD STICKIED?!  lol  So there is one big problem: time stampings on the Bombcast, specifically for rewind and fast forward.  The latest one shows a time of 2:12:03, but if I try to fast-forward to a point, it is inaccurate.  I had this same problem when I was listening to the Bombcasts before this update through their "download mp3" option on the Bombcast page.  Unfortunately, that's something that I can't even THINK of how to make that work.  I like the streaming, but if I accidentally hit my "back" button when I'm an hour into the Bombcast, or if someone calls...then I can't get back to the proper time stamp past the first, like, 20 minutes. "
@drew said:
" @jakob187: We were actually looking at just downloading the bombcast to the sd card and then letting the user play it with the built in music player.  I think they've already got support for resume if you hit the back button or someone calls you.  Might add that as an option to the next release. "
Yea, downloading the file will be an option in a future release. The bug you are experiencing is with the browser's mp3 player, so I can't really fix that as of now. Sorry :( How's everything else work on the droid? "

Could there be a short-term fix for this like having the app stay open in the background if you happen to leave the app.  That way you won't have to attempt to tap the progress bar as a makeshift fast forward through an hour and a half of a 3 hour bombcast.  Fantastic app but this is just super irritating.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#211  Edited By choffy21

Will try on my Nexus One once it arrives tomorrow.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#212  Edited By jakob187

Just letting you know, Harris, that I didn't get a notification of any type about the update on my Droid.  Don't know if that's on your end or the provider's end. 

Anyways... 

App is running smooth as hell, man.  Like the embedded videos for news stories working, and you've got names on the reviews.  Excellent update, seems a bit more stable. 

@HeghmohQib: I'm able to fast-forward through it, but it means that I have to move the progress bar back and forth to do so, and even then, it'll only go to a certain point before it stops working and I have to reload the Bombcast.  However, I think that this issue is something that they can't really do anything about because of the way the Bombcast works.  I don't know, though.  I just test the thing.  =  /

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#213  Edited By demontium

Very Nice.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By harris

The site happened to go down at around the same time I released the update. If the app was not working earlier today, it was most likely not because of the update.

@HeghmohQib said:

" @harris said:
" @jakob187 said:
" DOOD, AWESOME!  I'll have to go DL the update now.  The last one was pretty damn solid.  Also, ZOMG, WHY ISN'T THIS THREAD STICKIED?!  lol  So there is one big problem: time stampings on the Bombcast, specifically for rewind and fast forward.  The latest one shows a time of 2:12:03, but if I try to fast-forward to a point, it is inaccurate.  I had this same problem when I was listening to the Bombcasts before this update through their "download mp3" option on the Bombcast page.  Unfortunately, that's something that I can't even THINK of how to make that work.  I like the streaming, but if I accidentally hit my "back" button when I'm an hour into the Bombcast, or if someone calls...then I can't get back to the proper time stamp past the first, like, 20 minutes. "
@drew said:
" @jakob187: We were actually looking at just downloading the bombcast to the sd card and then letting the user play it with the built in music player.  I think they've already got support for resume if you hit the back button or someone calls you.  Might add that as an option to the next release. "
Yea, downloading the file will be an option in a future release. The bug you are experiencing is with the browser's mp3 player, so I can't really fix that as of now. Sorry :( How's everything else work on the droid? "
Could there be a short-term fix for this like having the app stay open in the background if you happen to leave the app.  That way you won't have to attempt to tap the progress bar as a makeshift fast forward through an hour and a half of a 3 hour bombcast.  Fantastic app but this is just super irritating. "

We'll try to get the download feature implemented very soon. In the meantime, you may want to use a separate podcasting app.

@choffy21 said:
" Will try on my Nexus One once it arrives tomorrow. "

I am jealous :P Be sure to let us know how it works!

@jakob187 said:
" Just letting you know, Harris, that I didn't get a notification of any type about the update on my Droid.  Don't know if that's on your end or the provider's end. 

Anyways... 

App is running smooth as hell, man.  Like the embedded videos for news stories working, and you've got names on the reviews.  Excellent update, seems a bit more stable. 

@HeghmohQib: I'm able to fast-forward through it, but it means that I have to move the progress bar back and forth to do so, and even then, it'll only go to a certain point before it stops working and I have to reload the Bombcast.  However, I think that this issue is something that they can't really do anything about because of the way the Bombcast works.  I don't know, though.  I just test the thing.  =  / "

I had some weird issues with the developer interface while I was uploading, so that may be why you didn't receive an update notification. Maybe the notification just hadn't propagated yet, though, I'm not sure.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By TheGremp

Update works fine on my Samsung Moment, news videos working well. Thanks!

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#216  Edited By altdimension

Nice update, thanks

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#217  Edited By dunc12

man, can't wait to download this and give it a try.

and i noticed that the giantbomb site works just fine on the hero's browser, except for the videos, so i'm assuming the podcast could be downloaded from there straight from the phone? for the time being anyway

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By harris
@dunc12 said:
" man, can't wait to download this and give it a try.  and i noticed that the giantbomb site works just fine on the hero's browser, except for the videos, so i'm assuming the podcast could be downloaded from there straight from the phone? for the time being anyway "
It could, although the browser just plays the file in the same way the app currently does, and does not let you actually download it (as far as I know).
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By drew
@jakob187: @dunc12: I've just implemented a downloader for the podcast and videos so you'll be able to long-press the item and select "Download".  It's pretty low-fi though and I'm not really planning on spending a lot of time on it at the moment so if you do this regularly, you're really much better off using a podcast downloading application like Google Listen.
ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By ToastMan

Works great on my Archos 5!
Only problem is that video playback is pretty poor. There are a lot artifacts, tearing and it's also out of sync. Maybe because of the Archos relatively large screen? (4.8")

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By choffy21

Absolutely flawless on my Nexus One. Keep up the good work @harris

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By harris
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By choffy21
@harris: Yes! Tremble in my spotty-as-hell 3G coverage!!! Unlock the phone screen and loose 3 bars of service! Muah-ha-ha-ha!!!
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#224  Edited By demontium
@lordofultima: ANCHOR THIS!
dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By dunc12
@harris: i guess i'll have to try tomorrow ;) i'll also see how the in-app download feature works.
dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By dunc12

mmk so yes, the cast can me downloaded on the hero's browser. if you tap download, it will just play it in the media player, but if you tap and hold and select "save link", it will download the mp3.

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By drew
@dunc12: The in-app downloading isn't in the current release, it needs a bit of testing etc before it's ready for primetime.  Trying to decide whether it's worth pushing out by itself or if we should add video searching to the app as well before the next release.
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By drew

Like we've been promising for a while, video searching is coded up and will be pushed out in the next release.

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By dunc12
@drew: oops, my bad. but that search function sounds great! and i've been having a few stability issues with the current build, although it's wayyy better than it was before
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By drew
@dunc12: We've made a few tweaks in terms of stability but GB has been having some recent stability issues too so I'm never sure whether it's out app or the website.  The latest release of the app coincided with a GB outage and we got a couple of 1 star reviews saying that the latest release was broken.  Oh well, what can you do?  If you know specifically what screens you were using if and when the app crashed or locked up and your phone model, send it our way.  Any bug reports are greatly appreciated.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By jakob187
@drew: Yeah, I've been having issues with force closes ever since GB pushed through the streaming video stuff.  Oh well.  The app still works excellent.  People just gotta take a moment to research issues.  I've learned to at this point.  lol
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By drew
@jakob187: I think you've been putting up with and working through issues longer than any of the GB app users :P  As far as I know, GB has removed the streaming videos stuff but perhaps they've brought it back again.  I was watching a video on my G1 a couple of nights ago and it was running smoother than I'd ever seen.  We're mostly adding features at the moment but once video searching and media downloading gets pushed out in the next update, I think we'll be polishing up a couple of things (like getting those videos to run smoother).
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By choffy21
@harris: @drew: One quick suggestion. Put a space in the name. As of right now, it shows up as: 

GiantBom 
        b 

On my app screen on the Nexus One. If it was spaced as Giant Bomb instead of GiantBomb, it would appear as: 

Giant 
Bomb 

Tiny gripe.
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By drew
@choffy21: How strange.  On my G1, if the name is too long the last few letters just fade out but "GiantBomb" fits perfectly.  I think it's technically "Giant Bomb" so we should probably change it anyway.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By harris
@choffy21:@drew: Yea, that's been a mistake since launch. I thought it was "GiantBomb" when I first made the app. We'll change it next release.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By choffy21
@drew: I wasn't talking about on the home screen; mine does that there as well. I'm specifically talking about the app drawer.
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By drew
@choffy21: The G1 does the same thing on the home screen and the app drawer.  How strange.  Anyway, the name has been changed :)  Should be a new release in the next couple of days I'd say.  Just want to test the latest changes.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By harris

Next update should be out within a week or so. One of the new features will be error logging and reporting. This will help us polish it through beta. Speaking of beta, it's coming up pretty soon. We'll probably go into beta either this release or the next!

Also, I should mention that Drew deserves a whole lot of credit. Recently, me and poserdonut have been busy, so Drew has really taken the lead in developing. Both Drew and poserdonut have contributed at least as much as I have. Thanks to both of them :)

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By dunc12

and thanks to all of you for a great app =] it's been running mostly fine on my hero, 'cept it sometimes crashes when rotated from portrait to landscape mode.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By jakob187

Thanks to all you guys.  I've been having no issues with this latest release for quite a while now, so I'm really looking forward to the next release...and of course, BETA!!! 

So funny to think that two months ago, there was nothing like this.  You guys have done the world of gaming a great service.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By harris

Added in an optional URL shortening feature for sharing URLs. 

So we're pretty much feature complete at this point, all that's missing before beta is error logging and reporting. If I can't get that done soon, I'll release it in beta anyways.

Also, I was recently accepted to go to the Android Developer Labs Conference, so I'll be sure to show of the app there :P

Edit: I forgot to mention, we need a new icon. I'm not a particularly good icon designer as you can probably tell if you've seen the current icon.. but if you think you can make something better, please send me a PM! This would be really helpful.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By harris

Found a massive problem that was causing the choppy scrolling on the videos tab, it'll scroll like butter in the next release :D

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Plasma
@harris: Hey Harris, I dunno what im doing wrong, but when viewing videos on my HTC Hero, even right next to my WiFi router, the sound works but the video either freezes or is super choppy. Other than that it works great. 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By harris
@Plasma:  There's are quite a few optimizations in the latest (unreleased) patch. See if that helps when it comes out in a week or so. By the way, this is the thread for the alpha. It's probably a better idea to post in the new beta thread.
zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By zegolf

This is great!  Thanks for all of your hard work!

lockload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By lockload

Liking this good work

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers