Giantbomb is sexist for not putting Tomb Raider in GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Shoemaker and Gerstmann did not consider this at all.

Because it was "Game of the Year" not "Most Feminist Acceptable Character Reboot of the Year"

The GAME was just an Uncharted clone. It didn't deserve to be on the list.

And your "if there was a woman on Giantbomb, she'd have made the same exact argument I made" is uh...flimsy.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Her tactics are the same as someone who shouts "racist" just to shut up someone up. As several people have stated she cry's wolf about tons of stuff so if she ever does have a valid point to make then it will never be taken seriously. Seeing the screenshots of the characters in her game makes her commentary even more laughable.

@jasonr86: I don't think so. Calling out the hypocrisy of someone who chooses to publicly demonize people, many times over, is open to the same scrutiny she places on others. Using the slippery slope argument is weak as its implies the commentary will go sideways no matter what. As I said before, her argument is the same thing as a black person saying Starhawk didn't get in a game of the year list because all the Bombers on the podcast are white; its an idiotic issue. She even invalidates her own commentary by citing Jeff's disgust with the mechanics.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#253  Edited By Aegon
@thehumandove said:

@spacekatgal said:

Hey GB people,

I was the author of this Medium piece. I am also a longtime fan of Giant Bomb. I pretty much wrote the GB pages in the wiki on Space Channel 5 and Parasite Eve. I supported GB every year they asked for support in a membership drive. I am one of you. I like their work greatly. In fact, in the course of my regular 80 hour weeks of development, I almost never miss a podcast. I have spent many an evening in the last 3 years, at my desk at 1 in the morning listening the the Bombcast while developing.

That's why I want to be very clear about this piece, because I feel like many of you in your love for GB are missing the point I was making.

Games journalism absolutely has a problem with a lack of female voices. I do think Giant Bomb also suffers from a lack of female voices. I used the discussion of "2013 Biggest Surprise" as a jumping off point for a larger industry trend. To me, turning Lara Croft from sexbot to fully fleshed out, compelling character was EXTREMELY surprising. I also was surprised at how great the game was, having never been able to finish a Tomb Raider game before - finding the quality too low.

Shoemaker and Gerstmann did not consider this at all. Judging by my female friends in the industry and out conversations, I think it's very possible a woman might have brought this point to the discussion. It's a minor moment, but it's illustrative of a larger trend. And, I could point to many like it in the history of the show.

This does not mean I do not like Giant Bomb.

This is not a rant.

This is not an attack on any of the journalists of Giant Bomb, which I think do great work. A sentence from my original draft, that my editor removed was the following. "Former Gamespot Editorial Director Gerstmann started Giant Bomb in protest for commercial advertisers attempting to influence the score of 2007’s Kane and Lynch: Dead Men - a stand that gave him immense credibility as a game journalist. If you’re looking for a journalist with unquestionable integrity, you want Jeff Gerstmann."

This is a wider argument that affects, not just GOTY coverage. It affects my own career. It affects my friend's career. It will affect my employees daughters as they get older, and it's important to me. And, I'd really hope you'd have the maturity to take a breath and participate in an adult way about this stuff.

I would also take serious umbrage with this headline, which I feel is VERY misrepresentative of the argument I'm making. I took meticulous pain in my research through the piece - getting the quotes right, providing footnotes to my editor to check. And it's frustrating to not have the same courtesy payed to me in return.

Thanks for all of you for reading it, and thanks for the commenters that demonstrated that they'd read the article, and had reasonable feedback.

Happy new year.

Would you care to address the...design choices for the character models of ur game?

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#254  Edited By JosephKnows

I'm incredibly happy to see a couple of well-reasoned posts here defending the article's main points. The article isn't the clickbait here, it's the reductive inflammatory title for this topic that's clickbait.

THE WOMAN PRAISES GIANT BOMB AND RESPECTS JEFF GERTSMANN FOR GOD'S SAKE. SHE JUST WANTS MORE FEMALE VOICES.

edit: and there she is posting a reasonable reply

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I'm sorry, but bringing up the game she's working on is some petty shit.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

Not at all. It's completely relevant.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@josephknows: Well if those female voices are all going to make "cinematic experiences" like Revolution 60, I'd rather there be no female voices at all.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@recspec said:

Not at all. It's completely relevant.

I don't know. Sounds like a bunch of reaching to me. If the argument is that poorly written, seems kind of unnecessary.

spacekatgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By spacekatgal

@thehumandove: I'm not going to spend all evening in the forums, but I'll answer this. I wrote a long piece about our body types in as issue for Loop Insight Magazine recently. http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/12/05/the-loop-magazine-issue-16-women-in-games/ (Paywall, unfortunately.)

My piece was called, "I fear Anita Sarkeesian will not Like my Game."

For me, personally, I love gorgeous kickass women. I think, "Is this girl too sexy," is a red herring. I think, "Is this girl a real person," is the real question. For instance, 2013 Lara Croft is stunningly beautiful - but she's a real person. While playing Lara Croft, I don't feel like the camera is about staring at her butt, or showing her cleavage. It's all about the intent of the game designer.

This may surprise you, but just because I care about representation of women doesn't mean I share every view of mainstream feminism. I also own my own studio, which is a very expensive business endeavor. Like yourself, I have my own take on the world.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Okay. This has gone on for long enough.

The thread title was misleading, the discussion has derailed from the article itself and is now spiraling down into attacks on the author and really shitty/borderline sexist remarks. I'm going to lock this.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@yummylee said:

I also recently looked up our own Revolution 60 page, and it appears to have largely been edited by a one ''spacekatgal'' user, and there are parts of it that sort of reads more like an advertisement than what is supposed to be an unbiased record. I mean a lot of it is, what I would imagine, stating the facts, but then you have one of the openings lines as ''This highly cinematic title is made with the Unreal engine, and has some of the most extensive 3D story animation on the platform to date.''

So... y'know.

Jeez, and then there's the Giant Spacekat page.

EDIT: Oh wow, speak of the devil O_o

Well, the pages definitely lack objectivity and do read like press releases, but that's kind of a bit off topic for the thread. It wouldn't take much work to bring both of those pages in line with what is appropriate for the wiki, but of course if you deleted all of the subjective stuff there wouldn't be much left to speak of.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@sammo21:

I'm saying bringing up styles of dress in regards to any discussion of gender and sex discrimination is bad territory. For example, suggesting that one style of dress is objectifying and another is appropriate in turn limits the freedom given to a gender to chose how to represent themselves with their clothing. Look, I get it. I get why it would be brought up. But it's a point with a lot of problems. For every way it can be used to suggest sexism it could at the same time be used to show independence on the side of the person in the clothing. It's just a weak argument that is just waiting to cause a shit-storm.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Carousel

Oh wow. Don't lock this thread

Every time a real dialogue starts, a thread gets locked.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're definitely getting off topic if we're going to start hypocritically condemning her game for not following some minor branch of feminism that demands prudish morals. There's a difference between objectifying and sexualizing.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

@gordy said:

We're definitely getting off topic if we're going to start hypocritically condemning her game for not following some minor branch of feminism that demands prudish morals. There's a difference between objectifying and sexualizing.

word

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Aegon

I feel like the real problem that people posting in this thread have with her article is the assumption that Tomb Raider didn't stand a chance to win GotY because there were no female voices on the bombcast. The general sense I get from this community about Tomb Raider is that it's a pretty cool game, but it's kind of an Uncharted roller coaster clone with some ideas of its own. It doesn't sound like something that would win the spot of best game of the year.

The author of the article did not address this in her post to this thread. Instead, she was more concerned with convincing us that she likes the bomb crew.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Why are threads being locked and unlocked as of late? And was one of these posts undeleted? I didn't even know you could do that.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should totally have been locked.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wasn't this locked? Mods?

I think this is probably a good place to bring the discussion to a close.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Gordy

@aegon said:

The author of the article did not address this in her post to this thread. Instead, she was more concerned with convincing us that she likes the bomb crew.

You don't think that might have to do with the hugely misleading title of the thread, and the majority of the posts jumping on that bandwagon?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@spacekatgal: I have to take issue with the idea that Lara was never anything but a sexbot before the 2013 reboot. While the PS1 games and Angel of Darkness were poor about setting a personality for her, we could see the beginnings of Lara as something more even in the first two PS1 games, to say nothing of the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy. Eidos' piss-poor marketing in the 90s shouldn't be confused for the games themselves, and while TR2013 went full-bore, it wasn't the only one where Lara was more than meat.

Also, I have to take issue with such things being part of the consideration for GOTY. Such accolades belong to what the judges (in this case, the GB crew) feel are the best game, not the ones that further one agenda or another.

@stonyman65 said:

Oh wow. I don't even know what to say to that....

You're not done yet. http://www.revolution60.com/page4/

Alright now: :/

I saw about six minutes into the first video, then had to stop as the hideous graphics and near-nonexistent game-play was making me lose the will to live. It's like someone took a Bioware RPG and completely removed all game-play, replacing it with bad acting and an orgy of quick-time events.

The faces in particular were... Disturbing. Like... Are the girls supposed to be Asians? Or does someone not know how to make faces that don't look weird?

The super-tight outfits and stupidly slender bodies didn't exactly help either. Seriously, maybe they should make sandwiches for themselves?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

While GOTY is mentioned several times, this really dealt with the discussion regarding the biggest surprise of the year. While I might not agree with everything she says in her article, I think the guys were very fast to dismiss Tomb Raider. Not only did they change how Lara looks, but they caught a lot of flack needlessly before the game ever came out.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By AlexanderSheen

To me, turning Lara Croft from sexbot to fully fleshed out, compelling character was EXTREMELY surprising. I also was surprised at how great the game was, having never been able to finish a Tomb Raider game before - finding the quality too low.

Shoemaker and Gerstmann did not consider this at all.

You see, that's the point, it's Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations, not yours. Tomb Raider was not on the list because they thought it was a not great enough to be among the other great games, no ulterior motive.

You're right that there should be more women in the industry, but saying that they didn't consider Tomb Raider because they are all dudes is kind of ridiculous, I think. Just like the assumption that if there were a woman in the staff they would have stood up for TR.

If I come off as an asshole then I'm sorry. That was not my intent.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#275  Edited By mike

Well I see a comment that someone intended to lock this, but it isn't locked...so I'm going to try that now I guess? Probably a bug, there has been some weird stuff with locks and other things not sticking lately.

Just as a fair warning to everyone though, this article is going to pop up on the forums a lot over the next week or so when people start seeing the conversation on Patrick's twitter and what not. So be ready for this whole thing to be redone again and again.