Giantbombs own Matt Rorie

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By time allen

i'd love for matt to come back. think he still wants to write about movies, tho.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By JauntyHat

I saw this thread's title and got super excited... and then realized that it was just a hope thread. A Thread of Hope and Lies! *cries*

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#103  Edited By megalowho

Not really sure GB needs another on-air, core member personality type, that part of the team is feeling a bit crowded as it is, and not too sure what different angle Rorie brings aside from the occasional MMO QL. Hiring old friends is easy.. what does this site really need?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#104  Edited By Little_Socrates

While Rorie would be a great addition to the site, I might rather have more site wizards (to take some of the weight off Dave and Alexis) or for them to snap up the Sess while he's still available. I'm really excited for the site redesign (though I really hope that does end up including another new video player, as this is the worst we've ever had) and lord knows Dave and Alexis work amazingly hard.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#105  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If he becomes a staff member will his prestigious Golden Duder status will be revoked?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By face15

Well I don't like him. So there.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By DoctorWelch

I don't think so. I feel like it would have happened by now, and a few TNTs ago Rorie was on and the hinted at something "job like" happening but not dealing with Giantbomb. So no, although it might be cool, I don't think it's going to happen in the near future.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Aegon

@face15 said:

Well GiantBomb.com hates you, cause I can't even click on your username. You don't exist according to the site. I probably shouldn't be acknowledging your existence.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By face15

@H2Oyea: I DO TO EXSIST! :(

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By alternate

@Flacracker said:

@alternate: Maybe I am wrong. But I would love Vinny and Drew on camera more.

No a lot of people would - that is why they should hire a backroom guy and not a personality - let V & D do more on screen stuff.

@ck1nd said:

@SharkEthic said: I think he has a future in the company, we just have to see when. However, if I remember correctly, Rorie stated he has something secret lined up, so it's possible he's moving on to bigger things, or maybe even forming his own Giantbomb-esque kind of deal, but with more puppies and movies. More of the former than the latter.

Puppymoviesarchive.com

I think he just didn't want to talk about who he was interviewing with before he heard any follow-up. I think he is still unemployed so I am sure he would take any job, freelance work, etc GB could offer - if only for the short to medium term. Looking for another job while currently in a job is a lot less depressing. There are an afwul lot of game and movie writers on the job market at the moment so sweetheart funding for Puppymoviesarchive.com is unfortunatley unlikely.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By EchoEcho

@alternate said:

I think they need a new video editor / camera guy more than another "personality" and I am sure Rorie would agree his writing is not his strongest attribute - but sure - give him a job. If nothing else GB should have a budget for freelancers to beef up the written feature content a little and no reason some of that can't go to Rorie.

Whatcha whaaa? His writing isn't his strongest attribute? I loved his reviews on Screened. They were very well written -- exceptionally, even. He also does really well in front of a camera, better even than most of the GB guys -- very natural, and even when he's reading from a script it doesn't come off as such. Alex was the same way; made the video features on Screened very easy and entertaining to watch.

Biggest problem I can think of is that Matt would really rather continue covering movies. At least that's the impression I got from him. While I'm sure he still considers himself a gamer, he's been pretty vocal on his blog about how -- in a majority of cases -- he would really much rather spend his time reading books than playing games. If he suddenly had to play games all the time as part of his job, he might grow to resent it.

If, however, it turns out he is actually very interested, then fuckin' a -- give the man a job.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@face15 said:

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE. GO.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#113  Edited By AndrewB

@Mr_Skeleton said:

If he becomes a staff member will his prestigious Golden Duder status will be revoked?

WIll Smith wins by default!

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TehBuLL

@Master_Funk said:

I hope so, though I think his heart is still with movies. I think hiring Matt Kessler full time is a no brainer if they want some young blood there.

They at least need to bring on a whole bunch of interns. That's free content.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TehBuLL

@Lanechanger said:

@Irvandus: Same, I stopped going to Screened afterwards

I still go to Tested though. It is different sure, but really not that much worse. Kind of more to my taste.

*sorry double post, lost track of time.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Dylabaloo

@alternate said:

I think they need a new video editor / camera guy more than another "personality" and I am sure Rorie would agree his writing is not his strongest attribute - but sure - give him a job. If nothing else GB should have a budget for freelancers to beef up the written feature content a little and no reason some of that can't go to Rorie.

I have to disagree, his written piece on Dark Souls (Link) was possibly one of the best reads i've experienced on Giantbomb.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Lanechanger

@TehBuLL said:

@Lanechanger said:

@Irvandus: Same, I stopped going to Screened afterwards

I still go to Tested though. It is different sure, but really not that much worse. Kind of more to my taste.

*sorry double post, lost track of time.

I still goto Tested too, it's kind of surreal to see Adam podcasting with the Will and Norm.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Grimluck343

@TehBuLL said:

I still go to Tested though.

Jamie and Adam's Tested.com still exists? Is it still super broken?

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By jayjonesjunior

not gonna happen CBSi does not deal in puppies.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Grimluck343 said:

@TehBuLL said:

I still go to Tested though.

Jamie and Adam's Tested.com still exists? Is it still super broken?

It is getting better, but I still can't change my password. :(

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By napalm

I think they need to look at bringing on one or two more news-specific people. I understand Patrick has this mostly covered, but it doesn't hurt to have a hitter on board to help him out, or to just double the manpower.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#122  Edited By rorie

Well, I appreciate the sentiment! Suffice to say that I'm enjoying my little break (dealing with the unemployment office of California notwithstanding), but if anyone wants to hire me they know how to reach me.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Anupsis

@Rorie: We love you Rorie!!

PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By hwy_61

Someone should start a kickstarter for this.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By jking47

What they need to do is hire Brad Muir. I don't care if he is not a journalist or anything, or that he has another job. I WANT HIM HERE!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By handlas

I found out a few weeks ago that I'm getting laid off as well. Sure feels great. Looking for a job is terrible...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#127  Edited By Brendan

Rorie should be a dog walker. One of those guys who walk 8 dogs at once.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Pazy

@Rorie said:

Well, I appreciate the sentiment! Suffice to say that I'm enjoying my little break (dealing with the unemployment office of California notwithstanding), but if anyone wants to hire me they know how to reach me.

The Job Centre (same thing but for the UK) is the single worst part about being unemployed. Miserable, stringy and unhelpful.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By PillClinton

Coming soon: Projected.com, the newest addition to the the CBSi family of sites. Editor-in-chief Matt Rorie and Features Editor Alex Navarro give you the scoop on all things movies in their own unique and laid back way.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#130  Edited By ddensel

I would like it if Rorie and Alex started podcasting about movies again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By TheHT

If a Rorie is in captivity, but has an endless supply of puppies, is he still in captivity?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Toxin066

@Mr_Skeleton said:

When Rorie returns, it will be to set the precedent from henceforth that one must be a Golden Duder before becoming a member of the staff.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By DukesT3

He should write more guides. =P

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Cubical

I thought he was the boss of bosses?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Grissefar

@Rorie said:

Ugh c'mon Matt pick up the phone, call Jeff and get it over with. Or perhaps you already did, since you've been in the office at least twice now and are just fooling us all.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#136  Edited By BlackLagoon

@ddensel said:

I would like it if Rorie and Alex started podcasting about movies again.

The two could resurrect TANG, tackling all those game based anime Ryan doesn't want to touch. All you'd need then is Jeff building Lego in the background, and we'd have our very own mini-whiskey reborn!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad Muir will be the new addition.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always wary of the notion of Giant Bomb adding more staff, mostly because I don't A) See why it is necessary beyond getting more video and production muscle to ease up on Vinny's work load, and B) Don't really want Giant Bomb to be this big sprawling video game site where we start forgetting peoples' names. But if they were to expand, I think Rorie would be a great and noncontroversial pick. The community's behind him, clearly, and the community should matter in these decisions.

oneidwille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By oneidwille

@rjayb89 said:

They need to clone Ryan and Vinny, so Ryan can make some TANG videos and Vinny can double the amount of Vinny.

Science needs to make this happen...now please.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#140  Edited By Humanity

@Khann said:

Brad Muir will be the new addition.

I'd like to live in that universe if only for a day..

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lanechanger said:

Jeff also mentioned that he already had some people in mind, I hope Rorie was one of them :O

We know of at least one blind spot that he'll be able to take up from the rest of the gang... Magic games! I felt like he was also the go-to guy for WoW quick looks back in the Whiskey days too, although I'm not sure if he still dabbles in that.

Rorie definitely seems to occupy a weirder and more in depth edge that none of the current cast are appropriate for, and that many in the community would like to see given a little more attention.  

If they're looking to expand their specialties in other directions (preferably a direction that isn't more casual for lowest-common-denominator viewers) pick up Rorie for coverage of more niche games, allow him to make use of his excellent writing skills on the text side of the site, and make his premium content "Digging Deeper w/ Matt Rorie: [Insert niche game here]" backed up by Ryan, Vinny, and/or Brad as well as resurrecting TANG with Ryan. Boom, done. I should be a consultant.
Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#142  Edited By Nentisys

I would love for them to hire Rorie and Kessler.

GolazoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By GolazoDan

We all know the Kessler and Lemon, masters of the Fear Gauntlet, must be used as a tag team.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#144  Edited By wrighteous86

@Rorie said:

would make one HELL of a Community Manager (in addition to Blogging/Writing for the site). I mean, he kept Screened going purely through force of will and interacting with his audience. He's a good man, and could bring back a bit of that community feel that Giant Bomb has been losing. I know the situation at Giant Bomb may not make sense to hire on a new employee at the moment, but if that changes, I think should definitely consider it (and I'm sure he would). After hiring me on as a freelancer, of course.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he would have a place there if he wanted it. I would be super stoked if Rorie gained the crew, I love that guy. He aint the Golden Duder for nothin.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By rorie

@Marokai said:

@Lanechanger said:

Jeff also mentioned that he already had some people in mind, I hope Rorie was one of them :O

We know of at least one blind spot that he'll be able to take up from the rest of the gang... Magic games! I felt like he was also the go-to guy for WoW quick looks back in the Whiskey days too, although I'm not sure if he still dabbles in that.

Rorie definitely seems to occupy a weirder and more in depth edge that none of the current cast are appropriate for, and that many in the community would like to see given a little more attention.

I am going to use this on my OKCupid profile.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By rorie

@handlas said:

I found out a few weeks ago that I'm getting laid off as well. Sure feels great. Looking for a job is terrible...

Right? It's fucking awful. Hope you're not in California, because HELLO the EDD here is awful.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By TheHumanDove

shine on you crazy diamond

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CptBedlam

@Nentisys said:

I would love for them to hire Rorie and Kessler.

I would love that, too!

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By GiantBomber

Matthew Rorie is a hell of a guy, don't know if he'll be joining the GB crew but if he did that would be pretty sweet.

"I'ts been a looooooooooooooooong tiiiiiiiiiime...... gettin from here to theeeeeeeeeeeere!"