GMAs, The UK Games Industry, and Rab Florence.

• 199 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#151  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jerseyscum said:

And where the hell are the 4channers when you need them?

No Caption Provided
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By jerseyscum

*sigh*

I stand corrected. Sometimes they really take all the fun out of trolling, don't they?

At least the /v/idiots in that screen cap are trying to do some damage control and prevent another Tropes VS Women incident.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Akyho

@FluxWaveZ said:

@jerseyscum said:

And where the hell are the 4channers when you need them?

No Caption Provided

Apparently we have learned from the Searkahns women. If we want something done about a a person who is fucking up and happens to be a woman leave out the sexist misogynist comments and insults instead focus on the matter and not her sex...because if the press can they will focus on her sex instead of the matter.

If 4chan has learned this lesson everyone can!

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By algertman

There is no lesson for 4chan to learn. 5 minutes later I'm sure they went back to attacking Anita for not putting out any Tropes videos.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By jerseyscum

@Sevenout said:

This just in: http://botherer.org/2012/10/26/guest-post-robert-florence-on-the-last-few-days/

Don't hate the player, hate the game I guess. To be fair Wainwright does seem more to be a rube who was taken for a ride than an evil mastermind twirling her mustache over her piles of Square Enix money. You could argue that everything she has done has been stupid, and I don't think anyone would argue back, but I don't think she is "corrupt" per se.

What I don't entirely agree with is Florence's assessment that it's all the PR people's fault. Yes we know that gaming PR is totally whack, and we've heard the Bombardiers complain about it on more than one occasion, but that is their job. They aren't getting paid to simply send out informational press releases. They are hired to give you the old razzle-dazzle. Now I'm not saying that it's morally correct for PR people to essentially try to bribe journalists into giving good reviews, in fact it's pretty gross. But, a lot of the actions described here are not specific to gaming PR, but common to PR in general and only so much of it is ever going to change. If you think the lavish PR parties and events are ever going to stop... well good luck with that.

I believe the onus is on the journalists/writers to stay honest and look through the smoke and mirrors of PR. The only way PR is ever going to come close to changing is if writers stop falling for the act. So in summation, gaming PR is totally crappy, but journalists need to keep their own house before they can take on the big bad wolf.

Exactly. The use of the United Kingdom's bullshit libel laws to silence dissent though is disgraceful and tuned this story from gross into downright enraging.

Outing and calling into question individuals that are obviously shilling for a publisher's PR department is one of the ways to keep gaming journalism transparent and honest.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Akyho

Oh yes. I forgot,

Alot of Xbox people might know Rab Florence as Independent Charles from the independent Charles show featured on inside Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920db24c8cbf
deactivated-5920db24c8cbf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Akyho said:

Oh yes. I forgot,

Alot of Xbox people might know Rab Florence as Independent Charles from the independent Charles show featured on inside Xbox.

I'd never seen that before. Glorious.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#158  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff

Not to mention the excellent Consolvania. Their review of Oblivion is one of the best things I've ever seen. Stuff like this made me want to work in video.

For what it's worth I know Lauren a little bit, and I truly believe her actions (which I disagree with wholeheartedly) are acts of nativity rather than intention. I think that she deserves criticism for her actions and there are plenty of people who told her to stop posting this sort of stuff over the years - but this story isn't really about her. It's about how a segment of the games press over here have little ability to be objective. Healthy relationships with PR are important to how the industry currently works - and they're not difficult to build. The funny thing is, those who act genuinely inappropriately are from the exact publications you would think. Chances are you already don't visit them because of their deserved reputations. And they're still getting away with it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#160  Edited By monkeyking1969

@AmatureIdiot said:

Yeah, that's really shitty, but the UK privacy and libel laws are so fucked up that it doesn't surprise me.

The oddest thing is that that why are they competing for a PS3, surely all games journalists own one, and even if they don't is credibility really as cheap as a PS3. This is why I hardly read European outlets.

You forget some of these journalists are little better then fans with a soap boxes. (I don't want to lump everyone together, there are some great people in this industry they work here at GB, but some people who are in the games media are real....(sorry) low lifes.) I remember a few years ago Microsoft handed out free XBOX 360s to everyone at their conference, and some of 'video production' guys at 1UP.com got huffy when they were told they could not keep them. That is the mind sets from some of these people, the swag is theirs, and they see nothing wrong with it.

There are too few game industry writers who came from a college or even high school journalism background, and too many bloggers who want to take on the mantel of semi-legitimacy without any of the rules or ethics. The very concept of not accepting gifts is foreign to them, because nobody has told them WHY that is bad when covering a beat or a story. Eight years ago you would hear often writers at game magazines saying, "We do adhere to standards about gifts like major newspapers do.", but now nobody talks like that.

I imagine is must be tiring for the honest people out there, who DO NOT accept gifts, to see other media outlets not even care about such things anymore. It must be depressing to see some of your colleagues, some people you like, to cross the line and not care that they do it. It must be depressing to see obvious PR tactics work.

Yet, I can easily see how enticing it must seem to get access to a world you love or to be on the cusp of rubbing elbows with producers on games you enjoy. I can see how access is an aphrodisiac and how being made to feel important at na event with a developer becomes more important then asking them an important question. It is scary that in a room full of media NOT ONE dares to ask Shigeru Miyamoto why Wii Music tanked or if he thinks Wii was over priced when it was GameCube hardware recycled. Miyamoto will never be asked a difficult question for teh rest fo him life. Nobody will tell John Cramack his last game was disappointing And, when western media head to teh next Tokeyo Game shwoi nobody will ask Hiroyuki KobayashiYoshiaki Hirabayashi why Resident Evil 6 failed...they will just play that "Lets exchange business cards" in that formal Japanese way. The western media will say RE 6 was hot sewage, but nobody will every ask anyoen who worked on it why. Don't rock the boat, don't get off the access teat, don't tell people you admire they screwed up...Cliffy bitched about getting an 8...better no make that mistake again they think.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just now found out that this was a thing and yeah I agree with what's in the article. It's fucking tragic that he got fired for it when we need more people like him in this industry.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#162  Edited By Slag

What a shitshow

Embarrassing week for ethics and common decency. And the media wonders why people hate them.

does make me appreciate the way the Giantbomb crew handles reviews a bit more though.

SexVicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By SexVicar
@stryker1121 said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@GetEveryone:

As far as i know her latest work has not been with SE, it's been for MVC and a UK based newspaper, and unrelated to any Square game.

You cannot shut off being a fan of a game, and showing your appreciation for a series visually or by any other means, hell Kevin van Ord reviews every single AC game, his blogs are plastered with images, and he even has an ugly tattoo.

There's an interesting gray area here, as Wainwright's position within "games journalism" is unclear. Is she a hobbyist who just happens to write about games, or is she a journalist who writes objective game reviews like she ostensibly did for The Sun? Which is it?

Just reading up on this topic since the story broke, and it seems many games journalists don't have a J-school background and hence don't have the ethical foundation that's drilled into you in college, and if not there, then the moment you step into a newspaper office for real. I've been a journalist for 13 years w/ newspapers and magazines. We had an 80-page ethics guideline at my 1st job - we couldn't even sign a petition for anything because that would represent a bias. Wainwright has no such background, although I will say, I think she should know better than to plaster Tomb Raider stuff all over her Twitter page. Seems like common sense to me.

I trained in England and live In Ireland. It's hell knowing two systems with two different codes of conduct (One legally enforced in Ireland) that I have actually gotten myself jumbled up between them during job interviews (And made myself look like a tit in the process. Life of a Freelancer for life, meethinks) and new rules are coming in all the time with new technology like twitter. 

Stuart Campbell correctly pointed out that Wainwright and many journalists in the UK were breaching a recent Office Of Fair Trading ruling on "sponsored tweets". Not many gaming journalists would know about this because they wouldn't have been subscribing to the National Union Of Journalist's newsletter or keeping an eye on Private Eye magazine where this was brought up when some football players and Nike got hit with fines over unmarked sponsored tweets. But the majority of UK games journalists tweets on games are outright borderline on this.

The thing is, the majority of people coming into the gaming journalism industry are hungry and idealistic 18-21 year olds looking for their dream job. They will take minimum wage and any direction from editors just so they can live their dream job. They probably just have some English and Media Studies A-Levels and not much training after that. The depressing thing is that is considered acceptable when many of the leading publications are now only taking on staff with qualifications (The Telegraph in the UK will not take anyone on unless they have a 2:1 degree in Journalism with a completed Law and Ethics module, for example). The industry is on a legal borderline as is and it's frightening to see that people are ignorant of the regulations of the industry in general.    
Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#164  Edited By Kieran_ES

@SexVicar: I hear otherwise about requirements. The 2:1 Journalism and ethics module seem necessary for straight news reporters, but features and anything outside of news is far looser at this point. That's just what I hear as a student, so obviously I cede to you. The point is that what most of these people do isn't news, it's more of an equivalent to features, editorials etc. I would be happy if those in the industry just doing critical work and features had common sense and some sort of basic understanding of media ethics. They don't need a full degree, but what they're displaying here just isn't enough.

An industry wide, certified course on ethics offered by every site or mag that wanted to be reputable would be great. Impossible to set that up at this point though.

Anyone in a dedicated news position (not reposting from press releases, which is a related problem, but actual news and reporting) should have formal education in journalism though, ideally.

SexVicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By SexVicar
@Kieran_ES:  It's dependent on the publisher. Some will happily take a BTEC in Media Production (Video or Radio) as that includes journalism modules and also has a legal module and provides enough education while some local newspapers will only take you if you have been on a NUJ Certified course which includes shorthand (There's an argument between academics if shorthand is necessary in such an advanced digital age, especially now courts have allowed live blogging and tweeting in some public galleries at the judge's discretion, and if shorthand itself is just a barrier that is keeping out people with learning difficulties who find it extremely hard to learn a complex language like Pittman and Gregg shorthand). 

Though for features, it's arguable. Editorial and commentary doesn't require it as much. But when you get into investigative and feature journalism, it becomes much more necessary as you can fall into the smallest legal pratfall if you are not careful. Rab inadvertently pointed it out how features can cause ructions once you bring names into it. 
AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By AsperGamer

I think we all presume to know too much. Plus, libel laws aren't that bad, it is how the courts apply them that matters. In this case, with my limited reading, I can see libel, simply because even with fact, it is still seemingly attempting to damage her reputation. How no-one can see that is sad.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By FierceDeity

@AsperGamer said:

I think we all presume to know too much. Plus, libel laws aren't that bad, it is how the courts apply them that matters. In this case, with my limited reading, I can see libel, simply because even with fact, it is still seemingly attempting to damage her reputation. How no-one can see that is sad.

This may just be my uninformed and/or US-centric view, but I was under the impression that libel laws were intended to combat outright lies.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By AsperGamer

@FierceDeity said:

@AsperGamer said:

This may just be my uninformed and/or US-centric view, but I was under the impression that libel laws were intended to combat outright lies.

Our laws on defamation/libel have already been tightened, but truth is not always an absolute defence. There is context and public interest and whether what is said is designed to damage or not. I took notice of the one comment:

"And instantly I am suspicious. I am suspicious of this journalist's apparent love for Tomb Raider. I am asking myself whether she's in the pocket of the Tomb Raider PR team. I'm sure she isn't, but the doubt is there."

Even though it says she isn't, it can be reasonably assumed he is implying that she is. He is potentially damaging her reputation by linking her to a supposed bad practice, with a casual out at the end. It would be the same if you said that you were suspicious that she was a terrorist and then saying you are sure she isn't, but the doubt is there. There is good reason to test that out in court because he isn't stating the truth as some put it, just fuzzy implication. Her reputation has been questioned and she has a right to take action - which may or may not work.

Not that I am an expert here. I am not. I just think everyone is to quick to take sides and attack the assumed and chosen enemy. We should all just take a breath before commenting.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By mfpantst

To add on, Ben Kuchera has confirmed that Lauren indeed threatened to sue. Link. To me this is pretty important. And not in a 'games journalism' realm. A couple years ago an area reporter wrote a fairly negative piece about a local sport's team owner (again, link). Some of you will recognize this piece of humor as the ultimate list of all the things Dan Snyder has done to ruin the Redskins (I'm a Steelers fan, so it's all humor to me). Anyways, my point is libel accusations are no laughing matter. It seems like 95% of the time they are frivolous with the intent to shut up criticism. In both of these cases, this is what is going on. You can laugh about 'games journalism' or treat this as a silly spat, but this is pretty serious. Legal threats are no laughing matter and any person who considers themselves a journalist but resorts to the nuclear option is a dispicable human being who has no respect for their own career path. This shit disgusts me.

Ok rant over, and I didn't go create another thread about it :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a stupid douchebag. I hope she gets run out of the industry with pitchforks and never EEEEEEEEEEEEVER gets another job even remotely close to the industry. She shouldn't even be allowed to work the register at Gamestop.

There is no room for asshole like her and seeing the dismissal of this story by outlets like Slowtaku and RPS about this has been disheartening and still shows how so called investigative or real journalism work is frowned upon around here.

She deserves no quarter. String her up and burn the effigies as a warning to all would-be followers of her in the future.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By algertman

@mfpantst said:

To add on, Ben Kuchera has confirmed that Lauren indeed threatened to sue. Link. To me this is pretty important. And not in a 'games journalism' realm. A couple years ago an area reporter wrote a fairly negative piece about a local sport's team owner (again, link). Some of you will recognize this piece of humor as the ultimate list of all the things Dan Snyder has done to ruin the Redskins (I'm a Steelers fan, so it's all humor to me). Anyways, my point is libel accusations are no laughing matter. It seems like 95% of the time they are frivolous with the intent to shut up criticism. In both of these cases, this is what is going on. You can laugh about 'games journalism' or treat this as a silly spat, but this is pretty serious. Legal threats are no laughing matter and any person who considers themselves a journalist but resorts to the nuclear option is a dispicable human being who has no respect for their own career path. This shit disgusts me.

Penny Arcade has come out on the good side of people not reporting much stuff like this in the press. PA actively attacked people over the Mas Effect 3 ending and shut down any negative talk about it on their message boards. Going so far to delete post by Bioware employees about how they were locked out of the ending.

The PA kickstarter was another thing. Taking up money so they could cut ties with publishers and developers who advertise on their site. I'm pretty sure those same people pay PA directly for booth space at PAX.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By mfpantst

@algertman: Yes. I wasn't offering any specific commentary on PA about this. If I were to, I'd say it's shitty of Ben to call out Kotaku in the way he did. That doesn't make kotaku any better a site, but plenty of people haven't covered this story in depth. Plenty of people have. To use what is a great talking point about the dangers of libel accusation as an excuse to attack other journalism outlets is also stupid. That being said, this is more a journalism issue and not a 'games journalism' issue, which is my point (being that people should really take offense to what's gone on in this story).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mfpantst: Calling out Kotaku and especially Totillo was more than warranted after that remark he made about it not being important. Especially when you see the dreck that they parade as newsworthy. Totillo is a hack and deserves no respect.

Crescente may have gone and taken his stink with him to Polygon, but Kotaku is still a part of the bottom feeders of so-called journalism that exemplifies the Gawker network.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By algertman

@TeflonBilly said:

@mfpantst: Calling out Kotaku and especially Totillo was more than warranted after that remark he made about it not being important. Especially when you see the dreck that they parade as newsworthy. Totillo is a hack and deserves no respect.

Kotaku should be called out on. Totillo said he had more important things to do than cover this. Like a Halo 4 unboxing video with free stuff MS sent them.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#175  Edited By Scotto

@AsperGamer said:

Our laws on defamation/libel have already been tightened, but truth is not always an absolute defence. There is context and public interest and whether what is said is designed to damage or not

This absurd interpretation of libel pretty much defines what is wrong with libel laws in the UK.

He doesn't give himself an "out" - he categorically states that he's sure she isn't compromised, but says that her actions may create doubt. And in light of the information and actions taken since Florence's article, he may have been too kind to her.

She had Square Enix listed as an employer on her Journolist page, then after people pointed it out, she stated she did consulting work but had never reviewed their products... only for cursory googling to dig up two such instances where she DID review their products. Then, suspiciously, Square Enix was removed as an employer from her Journolist page without comment.

That it's considered "libel" to suggest that tweeting advertising for a game, as a journalist, in order to win free stuff may be damaging to your credibility, is just absurd. Full stop. Rab used her as a named example, because of her clueless tweet where she said she didn't see the conflict of interest in glowingly advertising a product for a chance at free shit.

Ms. Wainwright abused the UK's stupid libel laws in order to stifle completely fair journalism, because it made her look bad. And much like when Gamespot fired Jeff, it has only brought far more attention to this incident. I hope this hack never gets another job in games journalism.

And Stephen Totilo is almost as bad, for essentially saying this story wasn't worth the time of his reporters. While Rock Paper Shotgun didn't cover it (probably because, as a UK site, they are also subject to the UK's idiotic libel laws) John Walker of RPS had three separate blog posts on his personal site about it.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Scotto

@Colourful_Hippie said:

So I just now found out that this was a thing and yeah I agree with what's in the article. It's fucking tragic that he got fired for it when we need more people like him in this industry.

He didn't get fired. He left Eurogamer on mutual terms, because to paraphrase him, it was impossible to not leave if he had a shred of self-respect. And according to him, his boss completely understood, and was just as frustrated as he was.

Unfortunately libel accusations in the UK, even spurious ones, can completely bankrupt people and businesses. And I'm sure Wainwright knew this when she threatened them with it (she implied as much with a tweet saying her "media law" classes were finally proving useful).

This hack needs to be run out of the business.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scotto: Oh I get it, that's terrible to be put into a position like that. Damn shame.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By mfpantst

@algertman: @TeflonBilly: It may or may not be the case that kotaku has it's priorities ass-end-up (it is the case) but my point was more that Kuchera should be able to write an article about journalism and not talk about kotaku. The two of them are like a married couple, they keep fighting. Publicly and loudly and usually over something they should let go. That's my point. The article is good but Kuchera can't stop ruining his own good story for the sake of a dig at kotaku.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Terramagi

I hope this hack never gets another job in games journalism.

Here's the thing: she's still employed, and Florence is never going to find work again.

So no. In every sense of the word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Terramagi said:

Here's the thing: she's still employed, and Florence is never going to find work again.

Well, I guess somebody should get around to throwing acid in her eyes so she'll never work with video games again

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By algertman

The thing though is that it's not that hard just to look over a sites history and put stuff together on how their reviews were bought off in some way. Destructoid doesn't even hide it.

MW3 Competition - http://www.destructoid.com/contest-win-modern-warfare-3-mw3-gunnars-tonight-214935.phtml

MW3 Review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-215404.phtml

Lollipop Chainsaw Competition - http://www.destructoid.com/win-a-swag-box-full-of-lollipop-chainsaw-goodies--229297.phtml

Lollipop Chainsaw Review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-lollipop-chainsaw-229321.phtml

This stuff has been out in the open for a long time for everyone to see. It's just that there comes a time when the shit gets to deep and people can't ignore the smell any longer.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By PillClinton

@Fattony12000: My nipples are positively wrenched.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By PillClinton

@algertman: It's for that reason I have very little respect for Destructoid, and very similar reasons I have no respect for Fox News. It's spineless provocative entertainment masquerading as journalism.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By august

@algertman said:

@mfpantst said:

Penny Arcade has come out on the good side of people not reporting much stuff like this in the press. PA actively attacked people over the Mas Effect 3 ending and shut down any negative talk about it on their message boards. Going so far to delete post by Bioware employees about how they were locked out of the ending.

The guy deleted his own post so he wouldn't get fired.

People are free to complain about Mass Effect 3 on the mesageboards. Maybe they put on cap on it when it was at its most vitriolic but I don't remeber.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Scotto

@Terramagi said:

She's still employed, but has essentially gone into online hiding, and as far as I can tell hasn't written anything since this incident broke.

As for Rab "never finding work again", I have no idea what you base that on, considering that a lot of games journalists are speaking out on his behalf, and even Eurogamer parted ways with him amicably.

SexVicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By SexVicar
@AsperGamer: Open a paper and it's tested every day. A lot of newspapers in the UK make much, much worse leading accusations. What Rab posted was actually rather light and based significantly in fact than some of the leaps of logic the Daily Mail comes up with. The defence of "Fair Comment" is tested every day in much more severe manner and had this case got to court, the Judge probably would have thrown the book at MCV and Wainwright for wasting his time.  

@Scotto: I think people forget that Rab is also a respected writer and comedy actor who worked with Frankie Boyle on Tramidol Nights and is currently working on the IT Crowd with Graham Linehan. Like Paul "Mr. Biffo" Rose and Kieron Gillen before him. I don't think he would have any problem in finding work outside of videogames and he doesn't exactly need them.  We're blessed that he still remains passionate about the form, however.
Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Crysack

@algertman said:

The thing though is that it's not that hard just to look over a sites history and put stuff together on how their reviews were bought off in some way. Destructoid doesn't even hide it.

MW3 Competition - http://www.destructoid.com/contest-win-modern-warfare-3-mw3-gunnars-tonight-214935.phtml

MW3 Review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-215404.phtml

Lollipop Chainsaw Competition - http://www.destructoid.com/win-a-swag-box-full-of-lollipop-chainsaw-goodies--229297.phtml

Lollipop Chainsaw Review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-lollipop-chainsaw-229321.phtml

This stuff has been out in the open for a long time for everyone to see. It's just that there comes a time when the shit gets to deep and people can't ignore the smell any longer.

That Lollipop Chainsaw review strikes me as utterly bizarre. The review consists almost entirely of buzzword after buzzword with little to no real argument at all. And then you compare it to these:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-bayonetta-159717.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-devil-may-cry-4-70040.phtml

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Terramagi

Bombcast has passed its judgement.

We're all misogynistic shitbags.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Terramagi said:

Is that genuinely the conclusion they came to?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Terramagi

@GetEveryone said:

@Terramagi said:

Yep. Wainwright is completely blameless. We're all just psychopaths.

Never mind that she's gone on record as saying she was going to sue the everloving shit out of everybody because she took Law.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I don't know what is actually wrong? I've read the OP at least a dozen times and a few articles and I have to side with everyone who is defending this monstrosity. It's a private award ceremony held by industry insiders about industry insiders with votes bought by industry insiders. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#194  Edited By vaiz

@Terramagi said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Terramagi said:

Never mind that she's gone on record as saying she was going to sue the everloving shit out of everybody because she took Law.

That isn't at all what they said, way to condense almost an hour of discussion down to a passing comment. They said her locking her twitter account could be due to some people pulling that shit, and they could be right. The fact of the matter is, when someone is in hot water, and it's a woman, on the internet, people start flinging some pretty nasty language at them. Do they deserve it? I dunno, not my place to judge. A huge example is Jennifer Hepler from Bioware. They absolute condemned what she did and supported Florence's analysis of the thing.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Akyho

@punkxblaze said:

@Terramagi said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Terramagi said:

That isn't at all what they said, way to condense almost an hour of discussion down to a passing comment. They said her locking her twitter account could be due to some people pulling that shit, and they could be right. The fact of the matter is, when someone is in hot water, and it's a woman, on the internet, people start flinging some pretty nasty language at them. Do they deserve it? I dunno, not my place to judge. A huge example is Jennifer Hepler from Bioware. They absolute condemned what she did and supported Florence's analysis of the thing.

There is is about four topics to discuss within the Rab Florence, Eurogamer and Wainwright story. The main two GB covered was PR/Marketing and how journalist's need to work with and not for them and Trust. They passingly talked about actual Wainwright part and said just as PunkxBlaze said. Ryan said She locked her Twitter account down probably because of some Misogynist bull shit and everyone got annoyed for less than 20 seconds.

Then spent the next hour continue to discuss that actual meaning of the article. The overall problem with GB talking about this....is because they already do 90% of the right things. They fly int he face of PR/marketing and them being cynical assholes (Why I love them) are immune.

However there is people with lesser resistance.

Terramagi you are exaggerating and talking nonsense.

They spent all time they would have used to fuck around and talk about new releases and even emails! EMAIL!!! FOR GODSAKE!! Brad is disappointed this week. NO EMAILS! However he did get to talk about Star wars I think that still fixed him for a week,

PS: the other two topics within it are.

Critics taking criticism and Uk law being used to silence criticism.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By algertman
They fly int he face of PR/marketing and them being cynical assholes (Why I love them) are immune.

Nobody is immune. We all like GB and the guys buts lets not act like they are above it all because they are not.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Laiv162560asse

From listening to the Bombcast, I feel like some of the crew kind of want to stand on both sides of the fence with regards to this issue. Mixed between passionate statements that we, as consumers, SHOULD absolutely be asking all these questions about journalistic integrity, are little statements that certain groups are unreasonably angry and 'lashing out' because they're demanding a proper editorial response from various gaming sites. Then Jeff says that the people who all these PR bribery worries apply to are a world apart from him and Giantbomb because they're a different kind of writer, yet we know that they aren't because his past paymasters were part of that loop and Jeff lost his job over those same pressures (and he also reveals he knew/knows PR people who thought that their personal relationships would count for something in game reviews).

The comparison that Vinny draws to the mainstream press and how they are also close to PR people is pretty weak too, because there are massive questions constantly being asked of the neutrality of the news press yet they adhere to much stricter ethical guidelines than gaming journalists do. Political parties use very aggressive press management and their closeness with some outlets or shunning of others draws questions all the time.

So yeah, people 'asking the questions' is exactly what this whole thing is, but sadly the fact is that games journos in general haven't given much of a reassuring answer, or in some cases haven't answered at all because they're too busy playing the whole issue down. Kind of lame to hear these concerns dismissed as immature arguments when all I've heard from within the journalistic sphere is a childish victim complex.

It's at least good to hear that Jeff is constantly quizzing himself over the appropriateness of GB being chummy with certain PR people. John Drake circlejerking on Twitter over this stuff with industry insiders definitely reminded me exactly what his role is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://twitter.com/MCVonline/status/270547559649513472

Sometimes things work out. As I said before, she is barely fit to run the register at Gamestop, let alone be in this business. Feed her to the wolves!

Now let's put her on the shelf right next to the Ocean marketing douche and hope we never EVER see them associated with video games again.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By hippie_genocide

Wow, that's incredibly unprofessional of MCV to tweet that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly said:

https://twitter.com/MCVonline/status/270547559649513472

Sometimes things work out. As I said before, she is barely fit to run the register at Gamestop, let alone be in this business. Feed her to the wolves!

Now let's put her on the shelf right next to the Ocean marketing douche and hope we never EVER see them associated with video games again.

As much as I'm glad to see she's out of a job, and she'll likely never work in the industry again, the issue is far more pervasive than one woman. She's essentially been used as a scapegoat, and, now that the bluster has died down, we're left in the same state we were previously.

I also think it's pretty despicable airing this on Twitter for all to see. Even if the girl wanted to change her ways and work her way back into the industry, her career is now totally ruined. She'll never recover from this.

And no matter where you stand on this discussion (though, I fail to see why anyone would be on MCV/Wanright's side), that is sad.