• 69 results
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

Getting the jump on the inevitable Steam Summer Sale, GOG.com launched their own #NoDRM Summer Sale.

Below are some of the highlights they're promoting, though the list of all the games on sale is huge. Not in the screenshot- Torchlight is free for the next 48 hours.

I picked up System Shock 2 for $5, which I hear is preferable to the Steam version because it allows modding with minimal hiccups and I want to install an HD mod that's floating around the net. I'm considering picking up Planescape Torment because of all the hype behind that game, though the Definitive D&D pack is enticing.

Does anyone know when the Steam sale is going down?

No Caption Provided

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome sauce, but I got no money right now. :(

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FateOfNever

Oooo. I may have to check this out. I'd probably only pick things up that aren't also on Steam though, just because I know that the Steam Summer Sale should be right around the corner too.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By veektarius

Those timed deals are pretty good. I'm not even sure I want to play Alan Wake, but $5 is tempting.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Steam won't be for a while, there's still weekly deals going on until next week.

BTW, as per usual, don't buy anything yet, unless it's on a daily deal...

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bought Thief 2 Metal Age.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines said:

If I wanted to try a Thief game would that be a good place to start? I was interested in Thief 4, but haven't been hearing good things about the E3 demo and what I saw on Spike TV's coverage didn't look all that appealing.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have no idea why torchlight is free, but I'm taking them up on that offer. Do GoG really want me to create an account with them that badly?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Goddamn I wish I had some money this week. All the items on my wishlist are on sale except one and most are $2.99.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Can I activate that stuff on steam?

kidding

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#11 Mento  Moderator

Steam's is usually mid to late July. Then again, I think last year the Steam sale started almost the same day as the GOG sale ended, so maybe GOG knows something about Steam's schedule.

The D&D pack is definitely worth it. All the D&D Infinity Engine games and everything Neverwinter with ToEE thrown in for color. I don't care much for Dragonshard or Demon Stone, but they're not terrible either.

I believe standard Steam sale rules apply here: Don't buy anything that's half-off right now in case they appear greatly reduced in one of the daily sales to come. But I suppose when there's a difference of a couple of bucks between 50% off and 75% off, it's not a huge concern.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz: 2 is clearly the best in the series, but for the price it might be worth it to get all three (or at least 1 & 2) and start from the beginning.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By TwoLines

@bonorbitz said:

@twolines said:

If I wanted to try a Thief game would that be a good place to start? I was interested in Thief 4, but haven't been hearing good things about the E3 demo and what I saw on Spike TV's coverage didn't look all that appealing.

I've never played Thief in my life, and after two missions- I can safely tell you that A- it's a lot of fun, and B- it's quite easy to play.

You just need to install an auto-mod program called tafferpatcher (it installs all the cool mods without any problems).

I recomend it. It's also 5 bucks- so it's not a big investment.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EXTomar

The D&D pack is definitely worth it but I don't know anyone who has the time to play all of that! :)

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The summer of everyone giving away Alan Wake for pennies!

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is not the Definitive D&D pack... It doesn't have any of the Gold Box games!

...(though it is still a really good deal)...

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Rayeth

Also want to point out that you can get a copy of Torchlight 1 for $0.00. That is FREE for the next day or so. The price of free can't be too high can it?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rebgav

@devilzrule27 said:

I am holding out. At this rate, someone must be planning to start paying people to take copies of Alan Wake - and that is when I will strike!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BonOrbitz

@twolines said:

@bonorbitz said:

@twolines said:

I've never played Thief in my life, and after two missions- I can safely tell you that A- it's a lot of fun, and B- it's quite easy to play.

You just need to install an auto-mod program called tafferpatcher (it installs all the cool mods without any problems).

I recomend it. It's also 5 bucks- so it's not a big investment.

Thanks for the recommendation and the heads-up on tafferpatcher. I've never played Thief either, so I want to know what all the hub-bub is all about.

Seems that way, doesn't it? Well, I hope this is a success for Remedy in building a sizable PC install base for whenever Alan Wake 2 comes out.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh man Torchlight free? Thanks for the heads up!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz said:

kidding

Can you?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That D&D pack is absurdly good, and If I didn't own literally every game in that pack from previous GOG sales I would jump on it. I already own Torchlight and think that it's kind of boring, but free stuff is free stuff. My other recommendations include anything with the words "Might and Magic" on it (though I could see that being a pack, so maybe hold off), any of the Thief games, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, System Shock 2 (I guess), and... I dunno. Arcanum?

Sadly, doesn't look like either of the Wizardry games are on sale, but I guess they're recent enough releases that they don't get the 50% off treatment yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@twolines said:

If I wanted to try a Thief game would that be a good place to start?

Absolutely. The original Thief had stupid monsters in later levels that felt out of place and killed all the fun (for me, anyway). In Thief II, you are pitted exclusively against human(oid)s which makes it much more fun. There is one area that is revisited from the first game, so you miss a few "yeah, I know this place" moments, but that's about all.

Thief III, on the other hand, was a bummer from top to bottom. I even think the hailed cradle mission is annyoing. Strobe lights and outknock-immune dudes with masks, how very creepy.

So, yeah, Thief II is the best one both for newcomers and overall, I think.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be impressed if GOG had a selection of relevant games. Great if you like the old stuff, but not gonna find much new there.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

@kishinfoulux said:

I'd be impressed if GOG had a selection of relevant games. Great if you like the old stuff, but not gonna find much new there.

That's not true because GOG has a pretty large selection of great, new and relevant indie titles like Hotline Miami, FTL, Don't Starve, Legend of Grimock, etc. etc. that usually get released day one. That is, if great, new and relevant indie titles are what you're interested in.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

WITCHER

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subjugation

To be fair, it is in their name (Good Old Games).

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason I can't edit my previous post even though it says I did. Anyway ...

@mento said:

Steam's is usually mid to late July. Then again, I think last year the Steam sale started almost the same day as the GOG sale ended, so maybe GOG knows something about Steam's schedule.

The D&D pack is definitely worth it. All the D&D Infinity Engine games and everything Neverwinter with ToEE thrown in for color. I don't care much for Dragonshard or Demon Stone, but they're not terrible either.

I believe standard Steam sale rules apply here: Don't buy anything that's half-off right now in case they appear greatly reduced in one of the daily sales to come. But I suppose when there's a difference of a couple of bucks between 50% off and 75% off, it's not a huge concern.

According to this history of Steam sales, you should probably expect the summer sale around the end of June or the first two weeks of July

• 2009 - Dec 23 - Jan 3 - Holiday Sale
  • 2010 - Jun 24 - Jul 4 - Perils Of Summer Sale
  • 2010 - Oct 28 - Nov 1 - Halloween Sale
  • 2010 - Nov 24 - Nov 30 - Give & Get Sale
  • 2010 - Dec 20 - Jan 2 - Holiday Sale
  • 2011 - Jun 30 - Jul 11 - Summer Camp Sale
  • 2011 - Oct 27 - Oct 31 - Halloween Sale
  • 2011 - Nov 23 - Nov 27 - Autumn Sale
  • 2011 - Dec 19 - Jan 1 - Holiday Sale
  • 2012 - Jul 12 - Jul 22 - Summer Sale
  • 2012 - Oct 29 - Nov 1 - Halloween Sale
  • 2012 - Nov 21 - Nov 26 - Autumn Sale
  • 2012 - Dec 20 - Jan 7 - Holiday Sale

Avatar image for deactivated-57eb29307696e
deactivated-57eb29307696e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free Torchlight! Thanks for the heads up.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@coafi said:

@hollitz said:

kidding

Can you?

No.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

Decided to get all of the Heroes of Might and Magic bundles just for the sake of having a digital versions on hand. Heck I might even try to convince my dad to a HoMM2/3 hot seat game over the next new years holidays.

The D&D collection would have been great if I already didn't have most of the stuff in it.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but how many Tf2 hats can i buy?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Bought the original Syndicate for 3 bones, huzzah.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BeachThunder

@kishinfoulux said:

To be fair, it is in their name (Good Old Games).

Not anymore, they moved away from using the term "good old games" once they started offering new games. Now they only call themselves "GOG.com".

Anyway, that Steam sale list is great.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I am always out of a job when sales happen.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 2! I'm getting Strike Suit Zero and maybe Unepic. I definitely want Don't Starve, but I'm going to wait to see if I can get it cheaper at the Steam Summer Sale.

No Caption Provided

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

That's not true because GOG has a pretty large selection of great, new and relevant indie titles like Hotline Miami, FTL, Don't Starve, Legend of Grimock, etc. etc. that usually get released day one. That is, if great, new and relevant indie titles are what you're interested in.

But not bigger, for lack of a better term, AAA games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo guys. Every single Might and Magic RPG for $8.45. As one of the few proponents of Might and Magic RPGs on these forums, I think that's a pretty great deal for some excellent RPGs.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oraknabo

I was going to grab Signal Ops yesterday, but totally forgot. Oh well...

It's too bad that bundle doesn't include the Heroes of Might & Magic games. I'm way more into those than the RPGs. Most are about $5 right now, but HOMMV is closer to $10. Not a bad price, but I'd rather get all of them in a bundle for much less than their total cost right now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo: I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Heroes bundle at some point down the line either.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

I agree with Arbitrary. It'd be weird if they didn't offer a bundle of at least Heroes I-V.

Man, I wish I wasn't broke. They have really added some great games in the last six months or so.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

#43 Mento  Moderator

I love M&M and all (especially the one where all the heroes are filled with peanuts) but I'm more curious about that Daedalic bundle. The QLs that have arisen from those games were usually gold (though not always because the games themselves were sterling, I guess it's worth keeping in mind).

Eh, I have no money and the Longest Journey games (and Primordia) are sitting in my Steam library. If I need a new point-and-click to play I'm already set. Something in this GOG sale is going to make me fold, though. I just know it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

I'm so pissed that they did the D&D sale before my payday. SO pissed. UGH!

I'm holding out hope that Fez and Reus will go on sale, but I don't think it will happen.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Azteck

I should buy Neverwinter Nights 2..

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

I'm holding out hope that Fez and Reus will go on sale, but I don't think it will happen.

I seem to recall they did a "Best of" on the last day of the sale last holiday, so your chances of D&D reappearing isn't out of the question.

batpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By batpo

I've always wanted to play System Shock 2. Sounds like it's time.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

@oraknabo: I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Heroes bundle at some point down the line either.

There is now. For $17.44 you get HoMM I-V and Heroes Chronicles: All Chapters (whatever that is). I loved playing HoMM III in the mid-aughts and wonder if it holds up. I bet it does...

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater said:

@jakob187 said:

I seem to recall they did a "Best of" on the last day of the sale last holiday, so your chances of D&D reappearing isn't out of the question.

Fez is on sell for $5 and the D&D bundle is back for $21.10. I think I'll get Fez and The Witcher 2 for $6. I was bummed I missed out on TW2 earlier this week, but it's back as well.