Going back to ps3 after playing ps4

knifeoframbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After months of playing ps4 only, I dropped by my friend's house tonight and played some Battlefield 3 multiplayer on ps3 to compare it to Battlefield 4 on ps4. Wow, I don't remember the last gen looking so bad. It was staggering how much detail was missing in everything on screen, and the game felt so sluggish not just because of frame rate but because of the controller. Has anyone else been shocked by going back to last gen after playing ps4 or xb1? It was really eye opening and made me really glad I made the jump to a new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know. I never really thought about it until now, but I don't care about graphics that much. I tend to notice when a game looks amazing, but other than that, I take it for what it is.

That being said, I don't think last gen looks too terrible.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

A lot of last gen still looks great. There are however a few cross generational games that look extra shitty in comparison to their next gen counter parts. For example, while Assassin's Creed 4 looks great on PS4, it looks like a turd on the PS3 version. Which is funny because I feel like this was done somewhat intentionally to make the difference between last generation and next generation stand out more. I mean AC3 looked amazing and still does on PS3, but AC4 looks hell of grungy.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Biggest difference for me has been load times.

Using Lego Marvel for example, I was able to load the game, begin a new game and be most of the way through the intro movie before the Wii U version - launched at the exact same time - had made it to the intro screen.

No Caption Provided
Wii U vs PS4 - As seen on TV
Wii U vs PS4 - As seen on TV

If I had to choose one word to sum up the experience of playing on a PS4 in comparison to the previous gen at this time, I'd choose 'smoother'.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza: The Wii U is not last gen..

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic

Once I've upgraded to ps4 I never looked back. I played BF4 on ps3 and ps4, and the ps4 version just blows that shit out of the water. Graphical it looks fucking amazing and the battles are fucking nuts. Me and another GB user has been gaming it up in BF4. We both had a blast playing that shit. Just chatting and blowing shit up was a good time indeed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

As far as console hierarchy goes no its not but in terms of technology yes it very much is about where the PS3 and 360 were.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't the Battlefield games kind of notorious for their 360/ps3 versions looking like shit? I certainly remember seeing BF3 on the 360 when it came out and thinking it looked terrible. Not even compared to the PC version as I don't have a gaming rig. I just thought it looked poor for the standards set by that system.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By handlas

@mercutio123 said:

Aren't the Battlefield games kind of notorious for their 360/ps3 versions looking like shit?

This. Battlefield is not a good comparison to make...

I just played the Last of Us DLC... looks quite good. Not as good as current stuff but it looks good enough to not be bothersome in any way. Of course, the best thing about new consoles is the better framerate.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdutchguy said:

As far as console hierarchy goes no its not but in terms of technology yes it very much is about where the PS3 and 360 were.

It's kind of dumb to compare the Nintendo consoles to the other two in the first place though. They're design philosophies are so vastly different.

I would hope the new generation looks a lot better than the past generation, then again the first cycle of games for new consoles are always bridging the gap between the graphics of the past gen and the new gen. Look at Perfect Dark Zero, that game looks like total ass for a 360 game.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Strife777

I thought I would feel the same way. "How am I going to go back to my PS3 after experiencing the PS4?" Not so difficult it turns out. I just played the Left Behind DLC for The Last of Us and that looks better than most next-gen games in my opinion, apart from IQ and framerate of course.

I also learned I might not have that big of an issue with graphics. I mean, I love me some high polycounts and high resolutions and effects and animations... But I was totally fine playing HD versions of PS2 games, so PS3 era is definitely not an issue.

There's also the fact that I have plenty more to play on it than my PS4 right now, which is basically nothing until March.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

Everytime I come back from PC or PS4, well... my eyes bleed from all the jaggies apparent in past-gen games. It all looks so washed out and low-res too. Just today I booted up some GTA Online to check out the Valentine's stuff, and those jaggies were super jarring for like 5 minutes. Literally made my eyes tear from strain.

I'm not playing games on PS3 anymore, unless it's something I get free from PS+ - and even then reluctantly. I'm likely not going to buy any games for it anymore. Maybe Dark Souls 2, but that's a big fucking maybe. I think I'm better off waiting for a PS4 version, and in case that's not happening in a reasonable timeframe (like hell it won't), I guess I'll be picking up the PC port of the game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've actually played a game on my PS4 in 2014. Been using the PS3 pretty much every other day.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@knifeoframbo: No I still play my PS3 more than any other system. Probably just depends on the games. The UI is definitely more noticeably sluggish on the PS3 but the games are still fine IMO.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No man, I play on my PS3, PS4 and 360 in roughly equal amounts. I got back into Halo 4 multiplayer and I'm still consistently impressed by how good that game looks.

For now I don't feel even so much like I'm downgrading when I move to a last gen console though I could see if you're comparing the exact same title across gen's. Battlefield in particular.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By handlas

@bluefish said:

No man, I play on my PS3, PS4 and 360 in roughly equal amounts. I got back into Halo 4 multiplayer and I'm still consistently impressed by how good that game looks.

I was just thinking about this while playing Titanfall. Halo 4 looks better than Titanfall.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I went back to my 360 to play Sleeping Dogs and a few other games I own. It's weird because I feel like I play more on the 360 than the XB1.

But yes, the difference between Bf4 on 360 and Xb1 is night and day.

Also I loved Sleeping Dogs. Generally not in the GTA like games but that world just sucked me in.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The reasons I don't want to go back to my PS3 is because of the controller and how slow it is. I know I can use the Dualshock 4 on PS3 but not all games support it, which is annoying because the Dualshock 3 is horrible to me now. Everything about that system is so slow too. Games take seconds to load on PS4. On PS3, I can make a sandwich before I finally load my save. The UI is slower then a 140 year old sea turtle. Pressing the PS button while in a game and waiting for the XMB to load is so tedious. God do I hate playing on my PS3, which is unfortunate because I still have a huge backlog to burn through.

By the way, graphics aren't a big bother for me. I mean, if I played BF4 on PS3, I'd probably shoot myself but I won't do such a thing.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bluefish

The reasons I don't want to go back to my PS3 is because of the controller and how slow it is. I know I can use the Dualshock 4 on PS3 but not all games support it, which is annoying because the Dualshock 3 is horrible to me now. Everything about that system is so slow too. Games take seconds to load on PS4. On PS3, I can make a sandwich before I finally load my save. The UI is slower then a 140 year old sea turtle. Pressing the PS button while in a game and waiting for the XMB to load is so tedious. God do I hate playing on my PS3, which is unfortunate because I still have a huge backlog to burn through.

By the way, graphics aren't a big bother for me. I mean, if I played BF4 on PS3, I'd probably shoot myself but I won't do such a thing.

My LORD. You want a slow UI? Try turning on one of the first model 360's and getting it to a point where you can load up a game on your HDD. MY XBOX IS SO SLOW BUT IT'S OK I'M SORT OF USED TO IT. And the time is cut by probably %75 if it's not online which means most of that time is spent loading ads on to my dash. Which is, coincidentally, a reason I have a ps4 and not an XB1.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't own a next gen console but this has never been an issue regardless. I still play PS1, PS2, and Gamecube games and it has never been a big deal. Maybe I just don't care about graphics as much.

SolitaryHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched to a pretty high end gaming rig about 2 years ago. I didn't touch my 360 until GTA V came out, and when there first scene loaded up I was convinced it hadn't loaded right. The textures couldn't possibly look that bad! But they really did.

Absolutely amazing how good they made a game that big look on that good such old hardware, but holy hell I'll never got back to consoles, except maybe for some pretty heavy exclusives (if there are any that can tempt me).

Yes I'm a total graphics Nazi, but you just can't have that level of fidelity and go back. Please don't hate me.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xXCrazyCostaXx

I use to love the DS3 but now it just feels icky after playing with the DS4. Take that as you will

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

It's not an issue, nor should I expect it to be.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Games are gooding to look good or look like shit depending on their own regard. I don't think it's worth judging between generations.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After months of playing ps4 only, I dropped by my friend's house tonight and played some Battlefield 3 multiplayer on ps3 to compare it to Battlefield 4 on ps4. Wow, I don't remember the last gen looking so bad. It was staggering how much detail was missing in everything on screen, and the game felt so sluggish not just because of frame rate but because of the controller. Has anyone else been shocked by going back to last gen after playing ps4 or xb1? It was really eye opening and made me really glad I made the jump to a new console.

No. I play pc games on an i7 with SLI 600 series video cards. PS4 similar to many of my existing games bumped down to 1080p and my XOne looks like the same things... bumped down to 720p.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morningstar

I'm playing my gamecube now, so no I don't have a problem going back.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eww... use an emulator. That must look like hot garbage now.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing DMC on my PS3 after playing Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 on the PS4. Looks just fine in my opinion.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I still think Okami HD looks better than anything I've seen on the next gen consoles. I'll take a great artsyle over raw processing power realism. I'm playing through Bravely Default on 3DS and that game looks phenomenal.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar said:

Eww... use an emulator. That must look like hot garbage now.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean looks fine, thanks for asking =)

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikeFerrari7: No, Last Gen doesn't look terrible. Games like the Last of Us and Crysis 3 are great examples. But, when comparing the graphics of Skyrim to Battlefield 4 (PS4), you'll find yourself wowed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

well this went bad fast. I'd be happier if it just went with "well load times are better, textures are crisper."

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The graphics don't bother me much. It's the load times and the DS3 that kill me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Look at Perfect Dark Zero, that game looks like total ass for a 360 game.

HEY!!

Hey!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@demoskinos said:

@thatdutchguy said:

then again the first cycle of games for new consoles are always bridging the gap between the graphics of the past gen and the new gen.

Battlefield 4 looks very next gen, although I own it on both PS4 and PC and there's still a pretty big gap between the two versions. The lower resolution on the PS4 does hurt it a lot because it looks a bit blurry, especially with players/objects in the distance.

On PC, it looks just as 'next gen' as something like Infamous Second Son. Such a pretty game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Remember this five years from now when you frown on PC gamers complaining about how PS4 and Xbox One games run at low framerates and look bad compared to what they play on PC.

That said, it wouldn't bother me too much. I play my handhelds quite a bit and those certainly don't look great. I also play PS2 games some and, again, those games definitely don't look great these days. I value performance far more than I do graphics, so 360 and PS3 games are still often underwhelming but not terribly so.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Hasn't been an issue for me. I've played very little on the PS4 and played a lot of PS3 games lately, catching up on my backlog.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I don't own a PS4 yet, but I don't for see an issue where I can't go back to play my ps3 because of the graphics.

Hell, I go back and play ps1, genesis, and nintendo games all of the time.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I just started playing FF4 on my ps1........... now that's a game starting to show its age.

knifeoframbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting that there aren't as many graphics whores as I thought haha. I agree that its really a combination of things that really sets the ps4 apart for me. The higher detail, better frame rate, faster load times and ui, and the ds4 which blows the ds3 out of the water all add up to making it hard for me to go back. That said it really is incredible they could pull off something like The Last of Us on last gen.

SGT_HAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SGT_HAM

@knifeoframbo:

even though both consoles can play at 1080P. PS3 games have lowered texture quality to keep good framrate, bad ambient effects and the graphics details are bad even though they look good from a distance. frequent frame drops. I bet due to small ram. 256 mb. PS4 has more than enough VRAM. bet will be ever totally used before the APU is out of juice. you shouldn't notice a big difference now as the games are cross-gen. by 2015. you'll see pure next-gen games that will amaze us.

SGT_HAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic:

these are intentionally optimized so they look like shit so that you go and buy the PS4, X1. try the previous COD. BF on PS3 X360. looks better.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@knifeoframbo said:

No. I play pc games on an i7 with SLI 600 series video cards. PS4 similar to many of my existing games bumped down to 1080p and my XOne looks like the same things... bumped down to 720p.

Teach me your ways glorious PC gamer

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Devil240Z

well yeah you cant go back to a game thats on both platforms. but there is still tons of great stuff thats only available on PS3.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing a bunch of Battlefield on the PS4 and it's fun, but I've also been playing Uncharted 2 on the PS3 and frankly I find Uncharted 2 to be the better looking game. Don't get me wrong, Battlefield clearly has far superior tech, but the art design is bland (which is fine, structures are supposed to be functional not pretty in that game) and there's a whole lot of green grey and brown going on. Tech isn't everything when it comes to visuals, and the last gen is strong enough that the games with good art design still look very good on them.

SOLO323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

traded madden 25 ps4 for batman arkham origins ps3 and batman arkham origins looks alot better