Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Foil_Charizard
Alex_V said:
"Two really good games. I think Half-Life is the more significant to gaming history, but then it came 3 years before the first Halo - a bit unfair to compare on that basis. They're quite different games really - Halo is much more combat-oriented and on a larger scale, Half-Life is a 3-act structure B movie.

H4xlike said:
"Halo definatly.  Much superior story, they also innovated the genre unlike HL2."
Care to expand on that? I certainly can't think of many genre innovations in Halo. But don't get me wrong - I thought it was a brilliant game.
"
Well Halo 1 revolutionized the genre a bit on the console and Halo brought quite a few evolutionary features with it as well(forge, theater, etc...)  But the fact remains that HL2 is just a better game plus it has  mod support.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Hamz

Half Life for sure, Halo is a good console FPS but PC FPS games have always raised the bar and thats what Half Life did.

fatuous_waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By fatuous_waffle

Half Life is better.  I like games that tell you the story through the gameplay itself rather than cutscenes.  Half Life is also extremely weird by comparison.  Which is cool. 

Murpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Murpan

I came into the FPS genre pretty late, I actually hated first person perspective games until I played the original Halo.  (But to my defense I didn't even know Half Life existed at this point)

But eventually I was set in the right direction and played Half Life, and then Half Life 2.  I enjoy Half Life 2 more than any of the Halo games in terms of single player gaming, but I just prefer Halo multiplayer (Co-op and Xbox Live Play) over any Half Life 2 mods.

kasdas2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kasdas2
Foil_Charizard said:
"Alex_V said:
"Two really good games. I think Half-Life is the more significant to gaming history, but then it came 3 years before the first Halo - a bit unfair to compare on that basis. They're quite different games really - Halo is much more combat-oriented and on a larger scale, Half-Life is a 3-act structure B movie.

H4xlike said:
"Halo definatly.  Much superior story, they also innovated the genre unlike HL2."
Care to expand on that? I certainly can't think of many genre innovations in Halo. But don't get me wrong - I thought it was a brilliant game.
"
Well Halo 1 revolutionized the genre a bit on the console and Halo brought quite a few evolutionary features with it as well(forge, theater, etc...)  But the fact remains that HL2 is just a better game plus it has  mod support.
"
half life 1 established the future of the genre, halo followed on...
Xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Xdude85

Half-Life is a lot better than Halo.  I really like the puzzles and boss fights in Half-Life.  Halo is good, but it's just not as engaging or challenging.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By DarkLegend

Halo is better, the multiplayer is more enjoyable.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By kenzo287

Halo has a crappy story and great multiplayer, and Half Life has a great story and is the foundation for many many multiplayer games so I'm gonna side with Dr. Freeman on this one

Avatar image for worldsfastestshrimppeeler
WorldsFastestShrimpPeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like half life more then halo.

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bob_Toeback

I like Halo more

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By calf_exercises

I personally like half-life more. It just one of those games that grabs you and shows you how a game should be

stAtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By stAtic

I've played both series.. and Half-Life is the obvious choice for me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By pause422

Half-Life never even attempted to have a multiplayer that was "amazing" by any means,Halo was shooting for it in the console audience.

But Half life hands down,it isn't a competiton at all.

Riicochet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Riicochet
TanKLoveR said:
"Halo is crap compared to Half life.
"

Great argument you got there....
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of SP there is no competition whatsoever.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By Aarny91

Half-Life.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Hannibal

Half-Life for single player. The story is sparse but very well done and really doesn't need any more story.

Halo for multi unless you count Counter-Strike

simpsons_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By simpsons_28

half life. Halo just seems to generic.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#70  Edited By Vinchenzo

Half-Life is amazing. Halo is generic. The end.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Dizzyhippos said:
" Cole said:
"Half Life...i think. I played Halo 2 and 3 more for the multiplayer and all the Half-Life's just for the singleplayer...so it's a weird comparison."
I only make the comparison because most people consider them to be the best FPS games for both of there platforms "
Thats true but they are the best FPSs for two completely different reasons. Halo has some of the best online multiplayer Ive ever played and Half-Life 2 is one of the best Single Player Campaigns Ive ever played. Its like asking which is better books or board games.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kashif1
@twenty0ne said:
" TanKLoveR said:
"Halo is crap compared to Half life.
"
Half Life is crap compared to Halo. "
and there both good games so can we stop arguing about it
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By angelkanarias

look at my pic

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By Akeldama
@H4xlike said:
" Halo definatly.  Much superior story, they also innovated the genre unlike HL2.  Bubububu you can break the boards blocking the path, the physix ;(     -virgins "
wow. 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By penguindust

Anyone else notice this thread is a year old?

Anyway, Halo was easier so I liked it more (and it had cooler music).  Half Life 2 was better in all other aspects, but I never had to think too hard with Halo.  I'm pretty lazy, so not having to figure much out during the course of a game makes me happier in the end.  However, and this is probably nostalgia, but I think I liked Half-Life 1 more.  I am admitting that affection is probably because of blurry memory and the newness of the game a decade ago.  I just remember being freaked out by some stuff in Half Life 1 and rather "meh" by stuff I saw in both HL2 & all the Halos.  This doesn't mean I didn't enjoy those games, it only means I was not knocked out by what was going on during the course of the game like I had been when everything was a fresh experience.

Yoshiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Yoshiya

If we're talking about the wider franchise, then I'll have to side with Half-Life.  It genuinely innovated and changed the FPS genre.  I see Halo as an attempt to squeeze much of that onto a console, not always successfully.  Remember, Portal takes place in the HL universe and timeline, and as probably the most brilliant and original first person experience in recent years that has to count for the HL argument.

But yeah, this thread is over a year old.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Griddler

Half Life, no doubt about it.
I've been playing the Halo's and playing them just makes me angry

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#78  Edited By Cwaff

Half Life, I've never really enjoyed the Halo games. With Half Life I enjoyed myself, though for some reason I think I had more fun with Opposing Force. With Halo I never really understood the hype, as a shooter, it was fine, it worked, but nothing really stuck out about it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By Meowayne

If you include mods, then even the first Half-Life is leagues above every Halo in everything but graphics.
If you don't include mods, then the first Half-Life is still leagues above every Halo in everything but graphics and multiplayer.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gargantuan

I don't really see what's so amazing about the Half Life story. There's a lot of FPS games with better story than Half Life in my opinion.
Halo's and Half Life's stories are about equal and while the Half Life single player is better, I had more fun in Halo.

Portal on the other hand is awesome. <3

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Meowayne
@Gargantuan said:
" I don't really see what's so amazing about the Half Life story. There's a lot of FPS games with better story than Half Life in my opinion."
There definatly are. But you see, there is a difference between a five year old reading a story aloud, or an actor. There is a difference between "Peter killed Steven" and getting told the story of Peter, and why he killed Steven in  which setting; and how this information is conveyed, and by whom, and in what medium. The Narnia-movie, plot-wise, is nearly identical to the book, but only about 1/10 as enticing, exciting, or entertaining.
Why?
Because it's in the storytelling. A good story is not measured by how many characters and unexpected or interesting events there are. It is how the events are told and, in the case of videogames, how the player is incorporated in the telling that makes being told a story exciting and good.

Plot and setting of Half-Life aren't "better", "deeper" or more thought-out than those of Halo. But if I am to choose between being read the same fairytale by Ben Affleck or Kevin Spacey, I'd take the latter.

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MetalR

Half Life, duuh.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83  Edited By giyanks22

I like Halo, but Half Life is the greatest saga ever. The story telling is so cinematic, and immersive, and it is so well integrated with the gameplay. Definitely Half Life.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#84  Edited By Cirdain

Research and development the Half-Life 2: Episode 2 mod

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#85  Edited By spankingaddict

whoever thinks halo is better, does not know what a great game is..... half-life 2 is probably the greatest first-person shooter out there to date.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@spankingaddict said:
" whoever thinks halo is better, does not know what a great game is..... half-life 2 is probably the greatest first-person shooter out there to date. "
Oh snap! We aren't allowed to have opinions?
Because I like Halo better, I thoroughly enjoyed Half Life 2 and love it as a game, but still prefer Halo. Does this mean I don't know what makes a great game? :O
Come on, it's all a matter of opinion...
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Godwind
@PenguinDust said:
" Anyone else notice this thread is a year old?. "
I did.  Although someone was running my ass for bumping a thread that was 15 hours old.

Halo = mediocre.
I never played half life but it shouldn't be that hard to be better than Halo so I will assume Half Life is better.

Edit:

Maddox said Half Life is better than Halo and according to Maddox.  To disagree with him is to be wrong.
"everything I like is great. If you disagree with anything...you are wrong."
Also, to quote him

"As good as Halo is, it's not even the best in its genre (an honor reserved for Half Life as far as I'm concerned)."

/thread
kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By kenzo287

Half Life is just much more enjoyable than Halo

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Apples. Just can't get into apples. Sometimes they're green and don't taste right, and then there's that worm thing. But oranges now, oranges rule! You know they're ripe--they're orange!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By JJOR64

Why the fuck did this 1 year old thread get bumped?

kamo2x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By kamo2x

Halfe-Life seriosu without a shadow of a doubt......when I first saw HL i thought i twas stupid then i got it to play CS: source and started playin HL to watse time and the story sucked me in and its probably the best game i have ever played. whereas halo i fot looked kool as fuck til i played it and thought that everything about the game seemed familiar.. and lookin at it i jus saw the blatent rip off of half life. half life has a story...halo has a guy ina  green suit! and judging from xbox fanboys comments to this FPS war half life jsu seems over their head as in its too inteligent for them because they try and bring down half life instead of sticking up for halo because they hav no real argument.. i have played both franchinse's and its a clear win to hal life!
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By guiseppe

Half-Life, easily. Halo feels like you're running around with guns from Matel.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#93  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Who was the asshole who bumped this year old flamebait thread? I am flagging this for lock.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By zombie2011

Not a fan of Half-Life 2 or Episode 1, however Episode 2 was awesome that final battle felt like it was never gonna end it was intense the whole way through. I just couldn't stand the platforming in Half-life. Don't step on the ground or the ant-lions will get you, or jump on cars to avoid electrified water and toxic spills, fuck that. Also I hated the boat sequence and all of Ravenholm. 

So i liked Halo better, i guess i like my FPS's fast paced and colorful.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#95  Edited By Video_Game_King

It was an 8-1 decision: the Court rules in favor of Half-Life. Court dismissed. *bangs gavel*

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Half Life, no contest.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jkz

Half Life Single-Player, and Halo Multiplayer.....of course if Counter-Strike, DoD: Source, and the rest were part of Half Life, then Half Life would win in both categories.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By crunchUK

Go halo!!

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#99  Edited By Griddler

%1000 no competition Half Life 
The Halo level Assualt On The Control Room is one of the worst levels I've played in a game

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By DukesT3

Dude. Half - Life no question. NO contest son! Also if it wasnt for Half Life there probably wouldnt be a Halo. OOOh no!!