Has 2014 been a disappointing year for games?

• 152 results
eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

Maybe a bit, just because there was no real GREAT game that felt like it deserved to win GOTY hands down (Can only speak for PS4)
There were a lot of Good games but no real Great ones.

• Infamous SS: What was there was fun and good, but it needed more.
  • Thief: A bit of a let down, but under the right price it's worth it and has some fine moments.
  • Wolfenstein TNO: A pleasant surprise, but some of the problems (sound, content, bugs) kept it from taking home the gold.
  • Watch_Dogs: I liked it personally, but in a world where GTA V exists...yeah.
  • Destiny: Plenty of good elements but also plenty of questionable ones.
  • Shadow of Mordor: Nemesis system was Great, rest of the game was alright. Story was flat out disappointing though.
  • The Evil Within: The closest thing to a RE4 sequel since, however technical performance and some weird design decisions hold it back
  • CoD: AW: Pretty good, liked the single player and multiplayer works fine for me + new movement is cool. (First CoD I own)

I have yet to play Alien Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4. Some of those might have GOTY potential for me.

Considering this was the first year It was not bad at all, probably was a better first year then PS3 had. Also XBO and Wii U had some nice exclusives that I missed out on.

Here's to 2015, the year to really kickstart this generation.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Dragon Age has been pretty good so far, but I've had a lot of disappointments this year. Watch Dogs, Unity and Destiny were all well below the bar of quality set by expectation. For awhile now big releases just haven't been able to justify their bloated budgets, being over-stuffed with bland features and recycled content.

I had more fun with The Binding of Isaac than I did any AAA release this year.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By aurahack

I played and enjoyed more games this year than I did last so I don't really think so.

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By dietlime

@j0lter said:

Besides Dark Souls 2, I haven't spent much time on any game that has released this year. Mainly spent a bunch of time going back and playing older games like Mass Effect and Skyrim. What are your feelings on this?

Play Inquisition before I find you, and force you to play it at gunpoint. If you like the other Bioware games, you'll love it.

It's a step forward in mostly every way compared to the ME series.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@imsh_pl said:

@viking_funeral said:

@slag said:

2014 is a 4 star year

I'd give it a 3 / 5.

Some good surprises, a lot of crash and burns in the AAA game space, and no real revolutionary games.

It's been pretty rough since 2012, really. Next year should be the big turnaround (or major crash). Either way, it'll be a fun year to be a part of. Plus there's Persona 5. So there's that.

I'd certainly count Hearthstone as revolutionary for lierally reinventing the computer TCG genre. Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system will become a given and a staple in future AC/Batman-likes - or at least it should because it fits so well in the genre.

I haven't played much new stuff this year so I can't really tell beyond that.

@viking_funeral

Yeah, the more I think about it, I think you're right this year does feel more this feels like a 3/5.

I'd actually so far as to say for AAA games it's been downhill since 2011. I remember people thinking 2012 was a little soft too, but to be fair 2011 had some incredible all time great games (Dark Souls, Witcher 2, Saints Row The Third, Skyrim, Bastion, LA Noire, Arkham City, Gears 3...) All of which I think are better than perhaps anything that came out this year. What are we going to really remember fondly from 2014 three years from now? I can't think of much.

I mean I still had fun, but there wasn't a single title that floored me this year like you'd expect a year into new hardware.

@imsh_pl

You've got a point with Hearthstone, those aren't my kinds of games but I could tell it was a special one.

Mordor I think will be a cult classic but quickly forgotten save for that Nemesis system. I think it lacked the complete package that Batman: Arkham Asylum brought to the table beyond the Nemesis system though.