Has anyone else realized how stacked October is gonna be this year?

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By smeffw

October is gonna be so stacked this year!

There are 9 major releases coming out in October.

Forza Motorsport 7 Oct. 3rd

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga Oct. 6th

Middle Earth Shadow of War Oct. 10th

The Evil Within 2 Oct. 13th

South Park Fractured But Whole Oct. 17th

I forgot about Destiny on PC Oct. 24th

Super Mario Odyssey Oct. 27th

Wolfenstien 2 Oct. 27th

Assassin's Creed Origins Oct. 27th

Almost every game is a must buy for me and we all know that everybody who owns a Nintendo Switch will be playing Mario Odyssey. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these release dates get changed.

Which one of these are you most looking forward to playing?

From the middle of August all the way until the middle of December there is a major video game release so get Hyped because it's never been a better time to play video games.

Edited for Destiny 2 PC release

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Eh, give it a few months. Games will get delayed/shifted around to a more manageable release schedule.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I would call a remake of a Mario and Luigi game a major release.

I'm also not sure this is an unusually "stacked" October. October is kind of prime game release time for the holiday season, right?

Regardless, I am super looking forward to Mario Odyssey. The rest of them...I'm interested in Wolfenstein and Middle Earth but probably won't play any of the rest of these games. Forza Motorsport 7 makes me a little sad because of how much I prefer the Horizon games. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Motorsport; and I always mean to get into the series but something about it just feels a little too serious and too much like work. It's like "You had your fun at your Horizon party now be a good boy and spend the next 6 hours in a tuning menu or, at best, driving around this closed track according to this specific driving line."

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I give South Park a 20% chance of actually releasing on that date.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't know if I would call a remake of a Mario and Luigi game a major release.

I'm also not sure this is an unusually "stacked" October. October is kind of prime game release time for the holiday season, right?

Regardless, I am super looking forward to Mario Odyssey. The rest of them...I'm interested in Wolfenstein and Middle Earth but probably won't play any of the rest of these games. Forza Motorsport 7 makes me a little sad because of how much I prefer the Horizon games. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Motorsport; and I always mean to get into the series but something about it just feels a little too serious and too much like work. It's like "You had your fun at your Horizon party now be a good boy and spend the next 6 hours in a tuning menu or, at best, driving around this closed track according to this specific driving line."

AKA racing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Mario, Wolfenstein, and Mordor will get plenty of attention from me. I could buy more stuff, but that should be more than enough to keep me busy.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Well, closed track racing, sure. But I compared it to Horizon, which involves a lot more rally-style racing through open fields and back country areas, or even racing point to point with no restrictions on using shortcuts. That doesn't even bring the non-racing activities (like stunt challenges or collectibles) into it.

So yeah, it's hard to go back to a pure track racing game after playing Horizon, and Forza Motorsport feels like dry track racing to boot.

But not all racing games take place on closed road tracks.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC version of Destiny 2, albeit with cautious optimism and if our Lincoln Force clan is reppin'.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

If you want Forza, Middle Earth, Mario, and Wolfenstein 2 (or any other combo of games) ...sure an expensive month. Yet, those games could come out over eight weeks and most people would STILL have issues affording or finding the time.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not very eager to play any of those. I'll probably rent Middle Earth and Wolfenstein, maybe eventually rent AC if it's handled well, that's about it. Destiny is pretty lame to me and it looks like Anthem might put it to shame - it already has graphically (assuming it really looks like that).

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odyssey's the only one on that list on my radar, honestly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

October is super thicc. ;) Real excited for video games this year!

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

Yeah, Mario and Wolfenstein look fantastic. This has been a great year for games.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario and Wolfenstien babbbbbbbbyyyy!

M+L SS will also be great no doubt.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really curious about Odessey but I'll probably get bored so I'll pass until the new year at least, not sure I can stomach Wolfenstein at full price ditto for South Park too I think AC Origins will be my Oct/Nov game.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only game that looks like must play is wolfenstein, everything else has the probability of being mediocre (except for mario, cant go wrong)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Wolfenstein 2. This is the one game that I'll be definitely playing in October, no matter what else releases.
  • Shadow of War. I'm not that hyped for this, even though I really liked the first one. But I might grab this on release if I don't have any other games, because it's coming out almost three weeks before Wolf.
  • The Evil Within 2. Unless this generates a lot of positive buzz, I'll pass. Otherwise I'd be okay with playing a good third-person action/horror game, but not right on release probably.
  • Assassin's Creed Origins. Kinda the same as with TEW2. Except that in this case I'd definitely wait for November/December, because this one's likely a bigger game than any of these other entries.
  • Super Mario Odyssey. Looks pretty fun...but I don't own a Switch and that won't change, unless I win the lottery or get a whole lot of extra money to spare.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Admittedly, the only game on that list which is a day one purchase for me is Mario Odyssey (it's not like a game with "Mario" on the box is going to drop to $40 a month later, y'know?) but yeah, it's a pretty strong lineup. Now wait for half of those games to get pushed back a couple of weeks into November.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only one I really wanna get is Odyssey, but I haven't got a Switch yet and I was kinda planning on waiting.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eh, there are maybe three games total on that list that I'll wind up playing (AC, Wolfenstein, Middle Earth) and I'm probably only going to get Wolfenstein at launch (or, based on the way Doom and Prey went down, two weeks after launch for 33% off).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

odyssey most def. between that, splatoon 2, arms, mk8 dx, and both i think the switch is in already quite a bit better place than wii u at this point in its lifecycle.

middle earth seems to tick off all sorts of ocd boxes from what it looks like and does look impressive, but just looks like way too much game going on for my tastes. maybe it plays easier than it looks.

forza and destiny will probably have my interest as well.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Forza Motorsport is real simulation-style pro racing, not this seat-of-the-pants Fast and Furious street racing stuff. The vast majority of racing games ever since Gran Turismo fell off the public radar have been street racing games. They're almost different genres, and it's understandable that people would prefer one or the other. But Motorsport is not an objectively worse game just because it takes itself more seriously. That said, I could appreciate more disciplines being worked into Motorsport (and it looks like they're doing just that in 7); maybe take a little market share back from the Dirt and Project Cars series.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: But Motorsport is not an objectively worse game just because it takes itself more seriously.

I literally said "I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Motorsport."

It's not "objectively worse" because it's going for something different, but this post was about what games we personally are interested in. I don't want to take my auto racing seriously. Maybe with the right mindset I could get into it and enjoy it, but for me, personally, the idea of a game of nothing but serious on track racing is much less appealing than the idea of a game where you race a train and try to smash a billboard on top of a shed.

Others might prefer the more serious approach and that's great for them. I'm not like petitioning for them to cancel the Motorsport series, I just know that for me Horizon years are much more exciting than Motorsport years.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GundamGuru

@bigsocrates: Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was jumping on you about it. There's just a lot of this "Why are they still making Motorsport?" sentiment going around, especially from Jeff.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2017 just doesn't let up.

One of the best years for games ever, still

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@frostyryan: nah, people forget a lot of years.

1993:

Doom

Day of the Tentacle

Syndicate

NBA Jam

Samurai Showdown

Mortal Kombat II

Mega Man X

Sam and Max

Gabriel Knight

Kirby

Rock N Roll Racing

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

X Wing

There are even more

The amount of amazing games released between 1993 and 1998 is insane.

This is definitely the best year for this generation though.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad for Mario and Luigi, Evil Within, and Southpark because they'll left in the wake. But really there isn't anything that's too stand out to me. Fortza will grab the racing audience, Assassin's Creed will probably draw a crowd, and Wolfeinstein/Mordor will battle it out for the rest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Evil Within 2 and Wolfeinstein 2 , and maybe the new asscreed is the only games I'm interested in. 2017 has been shit for gaming next year hopefully will be better.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

People love that stuff, though, and frankly it's not that much different from people who are way into RPG's trying their damnedest to get the most efficient character builds. A Horizon game every other year ain't bad, anyway. If we had one every year, people would be complaining about how often we get them.

Destiny, Mario Odyssey, and Wolfenstein are the most interesting games out of that list to me. I'll definitely get Wolfenstein, I'm probably going to get Destiny, and I'm pretty sure I'll get to play Mario Odyssey, so I'm not too worried about any of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's actually pretty normal for October . All wildly different games that appeal to very different people. Not like when COD Gears Battlefield Titanfall all launch weeks apart.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to Wolfenstein, others on the list not so much.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 and Mario for me that month.

And there's a big chance Gran Turismo Sport will be releasing that month as well.... >_<