Has there been a game that has been badly received..

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By chrissedoff
cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By cloudnineboya

I demand that mirrors edge should not be associated with this thread !! when was this game ever not the greatest .

ps. btw mine is mirrors edge ?

oh and crysis2 i really enjoyed that game .

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By redcream

I don't care what you guys think but I enjoyed the hell out of Shadow Tower .

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By tebbit

Just so everyone is aware - at 92 on Metacritc, Final Fantasy VII does not count as poorly received.

Oh, I played and finished Croc: Legend of the Gobbos to 100% completion. I will bite anyone who tells me that game didn't have fantastic music. Though looking back, I can't believe I managed to beat the game when I was... 7-8 (?) when it came out. It gets phenomenally difficult, largely due to the busted-ass tank controls and the way that some levels prevented you from getting all of the collectibles right at the end, forcing you to restart them from the beginning. And the levels were pretty long.

At the time, I loved it. I can see now that I was wrong. But the music still holds up!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By DystopiaX

Shadowrun (xbox 360)

got turrible reviews but it was an amazing game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#157  Edited By DeF

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Dark Reign, which wasn't so much critically blasted (it actually scored well) so much as it was completely overshadowed by Total Annihilation.

you mean it was totally annihilated bwahahahaahaohmgImsofunny*

sorry^^

*=not

@Daiphyer said:

The Saboteur.

I loved every second of that game.

totally agreed!

same goes for games like Heavenly Sword or Mirror's Edge ... they didn't score particularly bad but aren't exactly hailed either and I absolutely adore them!

there are so many games that maybe lack polish or have a particular annoyance so that they catch a lot of flak but actually do some incredibly cool things at the same time. they're quickly forgotten or shoved off to the side to make room for uninspired by technically well executed and flashy games... it's really sad sometimes.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#158  Edited By kagato

Same as a lot of people, Alpha Protcol, Splatterhouse and Brutal Legend, i also have a really strange fondness for the Arcade version of Streetfighter the Movie, i really enjoyed it as a highschooler and despite everyone hating i still kinda like it today.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Demmetje

I S-ranked Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Speaking of those games, I have played a lot of them on different platforms.

I guess I like magic.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ViciousReiven

I absolutely love the Prototype games, I can't help but to cringe and sigh every time it's brought up on the Bombcast.  
And despite getting a good score by Jeff, Syndicate pretty much bombed everywhere else, I think it's the best singleplayer FPS I've played in a looong time.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By kogasu

Was Brutal Legend really a badly received game?? I keep seeing generally good reviews.

As for me:

• Gauntlet Legends/ Dark Legacy : I love co-op hack n slashes plus it makes me nostalgic
  • Hunter: the Reckoning : Like Gauntlet but with zombies
  • Castlevania 64/ LoD : It was my first Castlevania game. The camera was annoying but, overall, I didn't really hate it.
  • Resident Evil 5 : I certainly played this non-stop for a while when I got bored, even after I finished it. I was put off by the action over horror direction but I still liked it and sometimes I don't understand a lot of the crap the game gets. I still think it's a pretty solid game. Plus, Resident Evil has always been my most favorite video game series ever.

I may have more but this will do.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By alexl86
Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Demmetje

@kogasu: At the time Resident Evil 5 was critically acclaimed. People are just bashing it in retrospect.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By theoldhouse

Everybody loves Alpha protocol. Seriously

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By L44

I played the shit out of Rayman 3.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#166  Edited By donutfever
@spartanlolz92 said:

@DonutFever said:

Brutal Legend.

id say its more underrated than actually disliked. the multiplayer for that game is so much fun

Well, there was a negative tone to a lot of the talk round the game due to the hype that came from being made by Double Fine. 

I'm playing Psychonauts now, and man is that game still amazing. I love Costume Quest and Stacking and everything, but nothing that I've played from them (Everything but Trenched and Sesame Street) has been nearly as good as their retail games.
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#167  Edited By GoofyGoober

Blue Dragon

Resident evil 5

Fear 3

WWE Raw 2

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Loafsmooch

@sirdesmond said:

I'm totally with the people who said Mirror's Edge, one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, and the Deadliest Warrior games for XBLA (not good games but an INSANE amount of fun when played with friends).

I'm sure there are others. EDIT: Enter the Matrix as well

Fuck yeah man! /Highfive

fuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#169  Edited By fuddles

I'm not completely sure how well it was received but I see a lot of people talking shit about Dead Island, and I love that game.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Anund

@skyline7284 said:

Mafia II ... It's so good! Sure there doesn't need to be an open world... but why not?!

This exactly. The game got slammed because there was nothing to do in the open world. It never claimed to be an open world game, the world was just there to tie the story missions together and that is enough. It was a great game.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#171  Edited By Zenogiasu

Well, there are always those really shitty games that you loved because you were a kid at the time.

More current ones? I really enjoyed Dragon Age II, which wasn't necessarily poorly received, but kinda bashed on in relation to its predecessor. Oh, and same deal with Final Fantasy X-2.

EDIT: Oh, and pretty much every single Dynasty Warriors game. And Resident Evil 5.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By EthanielRain

Nier, Dante's Inferno

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Off the top of my head there was this game I played on PS3 called "Bladestorm". It's very similar to Dynasty Warriors (a series that I detest), but I actually really liked that game.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By ghost_cat

Brutal Legend and Rage. Brutal Legend's gameplay reminded me of Citizens of Kabuto, which is one of my favorite games ever.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By BradBrains

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Not because of the game it was brutal but because my room-mate and I had fun blasting the game. Plus there's something gratifying about knowing its not you that sucks it the game working against you. less stress.

Edit: most of theses badly received games were lukewarm not bad. I want some BAD games you liked people

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Ravenlight

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days kind've falls into this spot for me. While I didn't actually enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay, the storytelling, imagery, and camera tricks the game does sort've made up for the actual game being kind've bad.

That said, I wouldn't recommend this game for more than maybe $5.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By mtcantor

Need For Speed: The Run. I was shocked.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#178  Edited By Little_Socrates

As an adult? Well, I loved Deadly Premonition, and I liked Heavenly Sword and Dead Rising quite a bit. None of those games are what I'd really call "badly received" so much as "divisive" or "middling" in reception, though. If Fortune Street counts, I guess that would be in there too; I adore that game.

As a kid, it's really hard to tell. There were definitely some games I played simply because I owned them, but it also turned out that most of those were classics. The one that isn't that I still have intense memories of is Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday, which is a game that seems like the creepy haunted carts you read about in creepypastas.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Panpipe
Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Fearbeard

Quite a few

Alpha Protocol got a 63% on metacritic. It had it's flaws but few games pull of player choice in the story as well as Alpha Protocol does.

Too Human got a 65% but I had a lot of fun with it. People griped about the controls, but once you got used to them they worked extremely well. It needed to be about twice as long though.

Viking: Battle for Asgard got a 68% on metacritic and I think it's one of the best action/adventure games on the platform.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By RE_Player1

Yeah I liked Dante's Inferno. Game isn't fucking perfect but I think it got too much shit.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ascagnel
@Ravenlight I had the odd feeling of wanting it to be a movie, not a game. It did some really cool stylistic things, but was so lacking on basic mechanics that I couldn't stop playing.

IO: PLEASE make a K&L; game with good shooting. It would be awesome.
Avatar image for thatindianguy7116
ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phatmac: I'm right there with you. When I first got my 360, I saw it for 5 bucks used at blockbuster and figured I'd just get it. Probably the best 5 bucks I've spent on a game

falpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By falpatrick

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. (PC Version)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Chop

I suppose Final Fantasy X-2 is the best answer I have here. It didn't bomb or anything, but I seem to be the only person on earth who considers it the best Final Fantasy game.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#186  Edited By Silock

@skyline7284 said:

Mafia II ... It's so good! Sure there doesn't need to be an open world... but why not?!

That was a great game, that didn't receive bad reviews did it? : /

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By toowalrus

@Phatmac said:

Brutal Legend. I'm one of the weird people that really liked it and the strategy combat.

I loved it too, I think if more people knew what they were getting into before hand, and weren't expecting it to be like, a Fable clone, more people would have liked it.

Also, Mercs 2 was fuckin' great.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Klei

Brutal Legend. It had good scores ( 82 meta critic ), but people just didn't get it for what it was. And I admit, it should have stayed an action/adventure title like the first level. Or at least, to have more of these levels. I also liked Duke Nukem Forever. I thought the level design to be pretty good and I enjoyed its gameplay variations. Although, for me it was clear that it was a 2003-2004 era game.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By guiseppe

I really liked Brutal Legend.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Adaurin

I really, really like Dragon Age 2. I'm not blind to its flaws. The reused environments, the slowly paced, weak story, and the bad guys who pop into existence bum me out. Despite those though, I still had a really good time playing the game. Most of all, I liked the Hawke that I crafted more than any other player created character in a game, more than Shepard or The Boss in SR3 even. The personality system was really good in making it feel like my Hawke even when I wasn't actively picking responses. It makes me wish they had a sarcastic option in Mass Effect in addition to Paragon and Renegade responses.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#191  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Probably Alpha Protocol. Honourable mention goes to Dark Reign, which wasn't so much critically blasted (it actually scored well) so much as it was completely overshadowed by Total Annihilation. TA did a lot of new stuff, and I understand the reverence it is held in, but DR is one of the best RTSes of all time, and deserved a lot more attention than it got considering it also did several revolutionary things that were cribbed from by later games.

Yes, Dark Reign! I love it, and it's soundtrack is among my favorite (especially the music from the Rise of the Shadowhand expansion).

I guess a more recent example for me would also be Ridge Racer Unbounded, it had issues, but I've had more fun with that than any other driving game I've played since Carmageddon and Stunts.

I like Alpha Protocol, but it seems that everybody actually agrees it was a great game in retrospect, which kinda disqualifies it for me.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was also mentioned, another game with some massive flaws, but which is fantastic nonetheless.

Oh, and Star Trek Online, it's really the only MMO that's gotten me to stick around for months upon months, and even had me pay the monthly subscription and finally a lifetime subscription even after the game went free to play.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#192  Edited By Sooty

I'd say Catherine but Giant Bomb is the only site that took issue with it so don't think it counts. Game was great anyway.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#194  Edited By musubi

Tons. Ninja Gaiden 3 is the big one this year. I still don't think its nearly as bad as some people have said. Its janky in places and there are some questionable design choices but its still a fun enough game.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By stokes

@Ben_H: I loved that game. Granted, I was fairly young when I played it, but I enjoyed it so much.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By stokes
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#197  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The sheer volume of people saying Alpha Protocol makes me think that it's probably disqualified, as Cult Status is pretty much the same as getting good reviews, right? (of course, I still think that game is a barely functioning mess of good ideas implemented poorly, but clearly quite a few of you don't). I feel like the criteria here is too broad and we can all just shout games that we think people don't like. Like, I would maybe say Resident Evil 0, but I can't tell if that game is disliked or just under-appreciated.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By tread311

@Fearbeard said:

Viking: Battle for Asgard got a 68% on metacritic and I think it's one of the best action/adventure games on the platform.

I had a lot of fun with this game. The Conan game as well, both were fun 5 or 6 hour actions romps.

maximumzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By maximumzero

I'm sure it's been mentioned multiple times, but easily Bionic Commando.

One of my favorite games of the generation.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Camosid

@DonutFever said:

Brutal Legend.