Have you ever been "complimented" in an online game?

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By slax

I was playing a game of Hardcore HQ on MW2 last night, and our team was losing bad. So bad that all but 1 other guy besides me left. 
So instead of throwing my life away trying for the HQ, or rage quiting, I decided to take this opportunity to hone my sniping skills on Derail. 
I got a good killstreak going before the game finally ended, and promptly went to find a new lobby where hopefully my team wouldn't abandon me.
I then recieved two messages from members of the opposing team. "Nice Aimbot Fag" and "nice aimbot faggo" (Insult fail).

Now knowing that I wasn't using an aimbot, nor do I even know how to do something like that on a 360 I took it as a compliment. I mean they were comparing my sniping skills with that of a computer! 

I remember something like this happening in COD2 once as well. Maybe it's because the COD community is so jaded with all of the rampant glitching and cheating going on, I don't know. 

But I was curious if this has ever happened to any of you and how you responded.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Any time someone on the opposing team gets pissed off at me or calls me a hacker, I take it as a compliment.  

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cap123

Call of Duty 2 and Counter Strike: Source i got a whoooole lot of that. I loved it though, it just confirms my brilliance. 

I think you're right though when you say it's partly because those games have so much cheating in them, a players reaction to a lucky/good shot is 'HOW THE HELL DID HE SEE ME?? HAX!'

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bionicicide

All the time during the Bf:BC2 demo from gunners when flying the Apache.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I've actually had people compliment me for real on MW2. It's so rare, and it's nice when it happens. I went 15-0 on a hardcore SnD on Scrapyard (I got a chopper gunner) and the whole room was pretty much complimenting me...for real, not, "nice hax fagut!!!!"

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By mosespippy

In Motorstorm Pacific Rift I lost to a guy by .06 seconds and then in the next race I beat the same guy by .06 seconds. We exchanged compliments then, since we both made the others race a more intense experience.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Sarumarine

I got complemented once on Rock Band 2 by a group of guys for 99% "The Trees" by Rush on Bass. I told them it was no big deal because no one cared about bass as a joke, and we managed to have a good laugh.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uniform

Healing and Tanking in World of Warcraft netted me quite a few in my time with that game.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slax
@AlwaysAngry said:
" I've actually had people compliment me for real on MW2. It's so rare, and it's nice when it happens. I went 15-0 on a hardcore SnD on Scrapyard (I got a chopper gunner) and the whole room was pretty much complimenting me...for real, not, "nice hax fagut!!!!" "
Yeah, that kind of response is rather refreshing!

@cap123 said:
" Call of Duty 2 and Counter Strike: Source i got a whoooole lot of that. I loved it though, it just confirms my brilliance.   I think you're right though when you say it's partly because those games have so much cheating in them, a players reaction to a lucky/good shot is 'HOW THE HELL DID HE SEE ME?? HAX!' "

Yeah and honestly I'm sure i've jumped to that conclusion too, but never gone as far as sending them a hate messages. But maybe I should try to give people genuine compliments. Help foster a community of friendship, ha.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm pretty sure I have.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By FrankCanada97

Actually, I have never been "complimented". I have been praised for playing a good game or being skillful in a tank in BFBC. Often times it's just "good game", "nice shot" or "lol that was smart".

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lukeissxc

In the Blur beta this guy accused me of "camping". I remember this because I'm pretty sure its impossible to "camp" in a racing game. Made my friend and I laugh pretty hard though.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By jkz

I used to get it all the time in CSS. In fact I started playing after a 2 year break and was promptly banned from a couple servers for "hacking."

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warp

The only time I ever got a compliment was when I played some random guy on Fight Night Round 4. I got into it with a fairly high ranked player and managed to dutifully dodge the sheer onslaught of pain this guy was throwing. Towards the end of the match I managed to break through his defense and get him really good in the jaw, stunning him. It was enough to shake him up and get a little sloppy in frustration in the final rounds. He still managed to beat me but only by a super narrow margin, and I ended the match on my feet. After the fight he sent a pm to me saying that was one of the best fights he's had in a while and gave props for surprising him. 

It could easily have been gloating but it felt in the spirit of good sportsmanship and hope it was meant as such.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By beargirl1

ive been complemented many times on Counter Strike but except that, only in Street Fighter and Dead or Alive. SF for my offense as Cammy and DOA because my Ayane is destructive. 

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Deusoma

I was a Balance Druid on WoW, focused on nuking during one dungeon raid, but we accidentally pulled too many monsters and the healer couldn't keep up, so I turned Moonkin Form off and helped her with the healing, and I got a lot of attaboys afterward, everybody said I'd saved the group. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I've been banned from a few Enemy Territory servers for being too good (they even spectated me but still said I was cheating :/). I've also received the message "Nice cheat controller" after a match of Red Faction Guerrilla on 360. Playing PC games always ends up with somebody thinking somebody is cheating.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By izzygraze

I get "Nice shot!" a lot in TF2. I was pretty decent back in my CS:S days and got many compliments back then. I can't remember any particular times I've been complimented though.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheFreeMan

I got a pretty sweet knife throw game-winning kill in MW2 once. I could hear my team going "Fucking nice!" and variations on that in the chat. Made me feel pretty good.

One good moment like that really helps to balance all the shit online. I've also got a fair share of "GG" messages from fighting games.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo7676
@odintal said:
" Any time someone on the opposing team gets pissed off at me or calls me a hacker, I take it as a compliment.   "
If you aren't hacking and they say you are this is a compliment.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By btman

Yes, I have.  But I've been criticized a lot more.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mono_Listo

When I play WoW (which is usually a two month stint whenever they release a new expansion or major content addition) I'm always complimented. I think that's because the average WoW player, and that includes most "raid leaders", are puerile and barely know how to play the game they devote their life to. So when a competent person comes along, suddenly everyone wants them in their raids.

Otherwise, such as on PSN, no. It's rare to see the same person twice in a random session in a year. 90% of my PSN friends came from Little Big Planet, and that's just because I wasn't an asshole that slaps people around and tries to make them die, but instead (gasp) wants to have fun with other people.