Have you ever been really competitive at a video game?

• 90 results
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By phantomzxro

Yes i have but i can turn it on and off so the only main reason that drive me to that degree is dicks who think they are awesome at a game and go on and on with trash talking. I play for fun but if you give me a reason  to beat you then i will do it with all my power. Fighting games and shooters are often the type of games where this happens the most. I mainly just like friendly competitive matches because you have more fun when your not getting mad over losing.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By captain_clayman

no. 

i play the shit out of TF2 but i just play it for fun (108 hours of fun and counting!)

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I think the last time for me was Tribes (the original, way back when). I loved that game to death when I was younger and played the hell out of it.

I wasn't in a clan or anything, though.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By thatfrood

Used to be very competitive in Rise of Nations. Looking to restart my old competitive rts flame with RUSE this year.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Teoball

I played a lot of Action Quake 2 back in 99/98, we had a pretty awesome clan. Also played a lot of Rocket Arena 3.

I burned out after a couple of years and haven't been competetive since. Now I only play mutilplayer if it's co-op.

FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By FatalError

I don't really have a competitive mindset.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Hourai

I played the shit out of Battlefield 2 and was in a clan and everything. 

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Jayross

I do Bad Company gamebattles matches once a week, I enjoy it quite a bit.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By h0lgr

Call of Duty 4. Ended up winning my current HD monitor... even though we came second place.
More than a couple thousand hours in that game... Play regular matches, either ESL or just vs random clans on irc.
Other than that... did some Quake 3, and counter-strike. So yeah, I'm an FPS kinda guy.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By adziboy

Yes - the obvious game of choice being World of Warcraft... but maybe that doesnt count, because my playtime was probably the average for WoW players. Otherwise, SOCOM 2 and Ratchet and Clank 3 were my choice of games for competitiveness.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Adziboy said:
" Yes - the obvious game of choice being World of Warcraft... but maybe that doesnt count, because my playtime was probably the average for WoW players. Otherwise, SOCOM 2 and Ratchet and Clank 3 were my choice of games for competitiveness. "
I'm mostly talking competitive multiplayer games.  I don't think WoW would count in that unless you got really good at PvP and Ratchet doesn't count as it's a single player only game.
leftzero101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By leftzero101

i used 2 play r6v alot an was in a clan an played a match daily an praticed every day with my clan.
TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheDoorman

Yeah I was in acompetitive GB ladder on Gears of War for all the way up till about 2 months before Gow 2.
 My team made it in the top 100 and placed 60th out of however many teams there were. 

Now I dont play competitive anymore, Unless you call playing mw 2 and getting frustrated than maybe.

Avatar image for wetsawdustdemon
WetSawdustDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By WetSawdustDemon

A long time ago I was really keen on Civ3 and would play the game of the month competition over at CivFanatics. Everyone starts from the same game save and then uploads their winning save to the server. Usually I was mid-table but one month I snagged the single city cultural medal since no one else went for it :)

Would like to get back into it someday but my life is much busier these days so I don’t have anywhere near the time necessary to be competitive. Some of those guys would play games for 50 hours plus (I saw one game that was over 100 hours, and that person was top that month).

I think that’s the only game I’ve really been competitive at, I generally do not like playing directly against other people as even if I’m winning there’s that nagging feeling I have that the other person is not enjoying the game at all. In RTS for example I am sure that in 1v1 there is usually only one happy player in each match, the person who is losing hates it. That’s why I really liked playing in the CivFanatics game, it’s turn based, we can take our time, and yet still be competitive while having enjoyed the game. People would also post about their games afterwards, and talk about what they did well or the mistakes they made, was a great way to learn and get better at the game. When Civ5 comes out  I'd love to start playing again...

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Was deep into wow pvp, trying to get gladiator in arena is no easy task and it does chew away on your life quite a bit.  But it was fun and I like the mixed skillset you needed to be awesome at wow pvp, you needed good tactics, fast reactions, and a clear mind.
Tho the balancing has gotten wonky in Wotlk compared to the golden days of TBC arena.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@WetSawdustDemon said:
" if I’m winning there’s that nagging feeling I have that the other person is not enjoying the game at all. "
I frequently feel this, also.  Like, when I'm playing against people in Endless Match lobbies in Super Street Fighter IV, if I keep on winning, I start feeling uneasy and feel as though everyone just hates me and is not having fun.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ISuperGamerI

When I was younger (about 10 years ago) I was really competitive in a lot of games, like Counter-Strike, Pokemon, Street Fighter II Arcade, etc. Nowadays, I just go with the flow and play games for fun and I'm amazed at when I look at the online leaderboards.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By trophyhunter

harvest moon me and my friends compete to see who can make the most profit

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Diamond

Quake 3 clans.  Some of our members won in majorish events.  I was never quite as good as them though.  I beat them very rarely.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#70  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I've been pretty darned addicted to learning the ins and outs of all sorts of games since the late eighties, so I'm sure I'll be throwing a bunch more up here as I think of them later.  Whooo, boy, here we go.

Started off much of my competitive gaming with Street Fighter 2, usually maining Ryu and Blanka.  From there, it was Mortal Kombat 1 & 2, usually with Sub-Zero and Liu Kang.  I was huge on Twisted Metal 2 and Tekken 2 for years, maining with Thumper in Twisted Metal 2 and usually Paul in Tekken 2 (and just about every future Tekken).  Command and Conquer Generals was my next competitive game of choice, and though I knew the mechanics inside and out, I'd say I still lost 80% of the time.  RTS games seem to attract very differing levels of hardcore gamers, and you could say I was hardcore-light.  Not sure if I'd count Diablo 2 as being "competitive," but I'll toss it out there anyways.  That's probably the single greatest time-sink I've ever invested into, and my addiction to Diablo damn near caused me to flunk out of college.  I also prided myself that I never used multiplayer mods or bots to play my characters.  Every hour I logged into Diablo 2 was my own, and I shit you not, it had to be in the high hundreds, if not thousands.

Other than the aforementioned Tekken series, I didn't play much else competitively for years until Halo 3, and then I was hooked all over again, despite the fact that due to my vision, I've got a shitty kill/death ratio.  I still play Halo 3 pretty regularly, and I was starting to really get heavily into Lord of the Rings Online until circumstances dictated that I needed to cut the monthly fee for that game.  Hoping to get back into a MMO when I can, probably The Old Republic or maybe even back into LOTRO. 

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By adziboy

@FluxWaveZ: 

When you play competitive PVP on World of Warcraft - that is the most competitive you're ever going to get at a game. It's more just addiction to the game really, but you start scouring the web to find out the best maximum damage output while keeping the best defence, putting certain control schemes, using as many add-ons as possible etc eetc and then you just play ranked 2v2 arena after ranked 2v2 arena after ranked 2v2 arena... then you gotta play like 20+ times a day to retain your spot. 

And Ratchet and Clank used to be multiplayer. 

So, yeah...
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Seedofpower

I just lost in round 7 of a Dawn of war 2 tournament. After that it makes me want to gear up for the next one!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@FluxWaveZ: Only at Battlefield 2 v1.0  ... The most competitive military experience of my life. playing for months in squads on every map, going for flags and killing each other in every possible way.. 

good times indeed.
M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By M_33

As an avid fighting game whore, with Tekken being on my number one list since Tekken 2, I'm very competitve when it comes to games  To this day I've been playing Tekken 6 since it's release in October. Striving to become a 'master', I've made it pretty high in the leaderboards, (number 54 as my character) have a win/loss ratio of 80-something-point-something % and have admittedly taken a spaz when I lost to someone who did nothing but grab.    

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Have I ever been competitive about a videogame?

Hmm there's always this sense of competition when playing online I suppose, but the only ones I ever really went nuts about (lets say sweat palms from the tension) would be Smash Bros Brawl, had some very tight battles, stuff of legends.

Also the PVP in World of Warcraft was awesome and gave me many an adrenaline rush back in the day (before its downfall :P), and a fair share of Halo 3 (or reach beta, to an extent) always wants me to win and do anything it takes.

In good spirits tho, cursing out teammates because they lack the proper IQ is not a real gamers way.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76  Edited By dichemstys

I'm trying to get to a competitive level in Geometry Wars 2.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Rebirth1337

Played CoD 4 pretty competitively. But my old xbox buddys all split. Now I mostly play with RL friends and they don't do the clan stuff. 

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By fuzzyponken

Got involved in the clan scene playing Quake 2 back in the day (on a fucking modem). Never got more competitive than a few practice matches against other clans, though. Then I moved on to Quake 3 and actually did fairly well, wasn't too shabby. Didn't roll with the pros or anything, but I got by. Also played a fair amount of WarCraft 3 online trying to climb the ladders but I wasn't that great.  

Aside from WoW, that's pretty much the extent of my online experiences. Every game I've attempted online has led me to obsess and practice mercilessly to hone my skills. That's why this whole 360 LIVE culture leaves me feeling "meh". A few games here and there of drop in/drop out 5-minute free for all bullshit is not my idea of good multiplayer. 

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Iceman2913

street fighter iv 
I am afraid to get super street fighter iv and blazblue because I might get too addicted

Voxtrinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Voxtrinus
Halo 3 and Borderlands. I dedicated a lot of time into both games. 
Phazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#81  Edited By Phazon

There's a local tourney around every other month for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but it's nothing major, it might as well be me handing out invitations to my house to compete.  However, there are cash prizes, and I've gotten like $50 from it. 

Also, I play Pokemon semi-competitively.  EV's and IV's are really difficult to comprehend, I try to work on that stuff.  But I'd like to say I'm pretty good.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82  Edited By themartyr

I got a little obsessed with Hexic a few years back, just shortly before it was blown open, and was #1 in the UK, #54 in the world, at it for a good while. I reguarly aim to complete every game I play on its highest difficulty etc, so I guess I have competitive traits.

cooperfoyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By cooperfoyt

The most competitive I ever got was attending a few MLG events about 4 or 5 years ago. The first time was for Halo 2 and our team did decently enough. The second time was for a Shadowrun tournament which we got hosed at after some almost heroics. 

What kept me in the competitive nature of gaming was the bonding I did with a lot of my close friends who I played with on these teams. I am not a naturally competitive person, I much prefer social gaming most of the time. But taking the Us v. Them attitude with some close friends at a tournament is just a thrill. Plus we were pretty good. 

wavegoodbye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By wavegoodbye

I've been super competitive with Modern Warfare 1 and 2.  Back in the day it was Quake 3, Jedi Knight, and Diablo II.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By DevWil

i was dead serious about the original counter-strike in high school.  went to a good many LAN tournaments, did well in them.  they were local tournaments that never got more than a couple dozen teams and i was usually playing with good players.  4 2nd place finishes and a 1st place finish to my name in CS LAN tournaments, as well as a 4th in a fairly large tournament.  the last LAN tournament i ever played, my team was disqualified in (what i think was) the semi-finals after we were crushing a team and they complained that we could see them through smoke.  your color depth setting can make it easier to see through smoke and, sure enough, two or three of my teammates were using the illegal setting.  we were pretty confident we could win the tournament, so it was a big bummer to be DQ'd over something so small.  i can't necessarily defend my teammates, though.  they should've had the legal setting, regardless of their intent (it's possible that they simply overlooked it...i don't remember which setting it defaulted to).

i was never good enough to play at the top level, though.  just didn't have enough skill to shoot good players in the head faster than they shot me in the head.  i was extremely average (if you'll pardon the oxymoron), in relation to the competitive community as a whole.  could still crush casual players, though. 

i dabbled in other shooters as a result of going to LANs.  i won a quake 3 tournament as well as a UT2K3 (or maybe 2K4, don't remember) tournament, and i had some decent finishes in other UT2Kx tournaments. 

the game i was probably best at, though, was day of defeat.  i could hold my own against the best players when i was at my best.  the community never got super big, but i really loved that game.  i was on a team that went undefeated in an online league's (CAL-open) season. 

me and my counter-strike friends also got pretty good at a little half-life mod that i think was called Battlegrounds.  it was a revolutionary war mod.  it did okay for a mod that i'm not sure ever got out of beta.  same goes for Digital Paintball, another half-life mod. 

the source engine (as well as shifting priorities) kind of killed my interest in competitive gaming.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#87  Edited By kalmis

We had couple of PS2's and TVs in our office's pause-room couple of years ago. Game we played over and over again was PES6. Had some really hefty matches on our breaks. Couple of times we even arranged some tournaments in the local pub. I had PES6 for Xbox 360 back then already but went and bought PS2 version of  PES6. And practiced it to death with different teams and tactics. On the tournament I did quite well I think. The results are bit hazy because of the amount of beer we ended up drinking. Awesome times.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ChickenPants

I was a very serious Diablo II Lod player around the summer of 2007.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Black_Raven

Probably Supreme commander, I used to play that a lot and loved building a shit load of defences so I could make a huge army to destroy the enemy. Nothing beats winning a match in the most over the top way.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kishan6

flux u should change ur icon back

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers