How Badly Will The Gaming Press Embarrass Themselves This Year?

• 196 results
BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BrockNRolla

@RollingZeppelin said:

I feel like the OP is secretly jealous of the gaming press, that's why he hates them so much.

How could he not be upset? Clearly he could do a better job than all those other journalist schmucks out there. His opinions are far superior to theirs.

On a related topic which is closer to reality, there are plenty of problems with games journalism. Thankfully, its a topic based on entertainment, so the stakes aren't too high. And when we feel irritated, we can just look elsewhere. I don't read Kotaku anymore because they made me literally angry, which is incredibly silly in the pantheon of things worth getting angry about. Yet the problem was remedied by simply clicking elsewhere. Life was literally made better by that simple action. I'm glad to see most in this thread responding in this manner.

OP, if you really think things are so bad in this industry, if you really think there are conspiracies around every corner, if you really think your opinions are correct above everyone else's, by all means, and I mean this as serious advice, stop reading the offending material. Write your own. Maybe you'll revolutionize the way things are done. That, our you'll realize your vitriol is misdirected. But know this, your angry and hateful attitude is harmful to those around you.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Yo', GTA 4 is great. Halo 4 was pretty solid also.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By golguin

@MildMolasses said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I hope you're not referring to the outrage over ME3's ending, because I think that's exactly what the topic creator was getting at.

People had legitimate and typically well explained reasons for disliking what happened and the press basically brushed it aside as "entitlement". Some people took their complaints too far, but that's always the case and the journalists proved to be just as immature as the ones whining.

What exactly was the games press supposed to do about the ending? Its OK not to like it. Books, Movies, TV shows and games have bad endings all the time. Its not the games press' job to engage the audience or the developers on something so subjective. Its up to the each individual consumer to decide what to do with that. If they want to write a review, comment on a message board, or stop buying Bioware's products, those are all totally valid responses. Those are not the people who are "entitled" or crossing the line and not the ones that games press were talking about.

The people who were demanding a new ending, harassing employees and attempting to file lawsuits are crossing the line, and is a whole lot of entitlement. Those are non-subjective reactions and worth covering. They are not in the same camp as the people who didn't like ending for whatever reason and could discuss it rationally. If you felt that journalists were attacking you, then you clearly were not mentally separating yourself from that group which you should have been and should be angry at the "entitled" for derailing any reasoned conversation.

Listed to what the guy is saying. People had legitimate well explained reasons when they pointed out the issues with the ME3 ending and their criticism was brushed aside as "entitlement". It took nearly a full year for the gaming press to come around during GOTY discussions and say, "Hey, maybe those people had a point about the ending and the game." The contrast between the experience Jeff and Brad had with the game is proof that the ME3 experience was lacking and it took the additional DLC to fix it.

The same kind of the thing just happened with DmC. The legitimate concerns for the game were drowned out by accusations that fans were really only upset because Dante didn't have white hair.

I think going forward the gaming media should probably try to understand legitimate concerns expressed by fans before throwing them under the bus only to later go "Oops, should have heard you out before I did that."

Just wait. If development for Dark Souls 2 goes in the direction that fans of the series are hoping it doesn't go in (more casual) there will be a shitstorm and I see the media already peppering their articles with the phrase "entitled gamers".

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By WarlordPayne

@golguin: I think Giant Bomb, Jeff in particular, handled the DmC stuff very, very well. He repeatedly showed sympathy for fans if the reboot wasn't up to their expectations, while admitting that no one at GB is experienced enough with the series to know one way or the other.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@RollingZeppelin said:

I feel like the OP is secretly jealous of the gaming press, that's why he hates them so much.

I think quite a lot of gaming journalists are bad, but I feel quite a lot of journalists are bad.

I think people should listen to Gamers with Jobs podcast where they talked about this, it's funny. Some of those dudes have actual journalism experience, and in those sectors where they are dealing with huge societal, government, etc issues, there isn't the same sort of obsession with "intergrity" that gaming journalism has, which I find absolutely hilarious. TV news and newspapers get funding from ads, yet people don't go on about it like they go on about games journalists getting any revenue from ads, or what have you.

I find it so ridiculous, that I might just agree with your post here. I don't know how else to explain it. I found the NeoGAF uproar embarrassing and it seems it will continue. How will we survive in a world where we can't verify Geoff Keighly's integrity?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MikeGosot

Well, the Dead Island bullshit was pretty bad.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57  Edited By Levio

Prediction: A member of the gaming press will have a "change of heart" and start denouncing games for inciting gun violence. Not for the publicity, of course, but "for the children".

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By planetfunksquad

@golguin: They didn't call everyone who didn't like the ending entitled, they called the people making petitions and throwing around personal insults and threats at anyone who dared say that the ending wasn't bad entitled. Jesus fucking christ you people can't see that distinction can you?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@GreggD said:

HANS, BUBBY

Nice suit.
Rabbitsuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Rabbitsuit

Hard to say. In the past two days, Notch has called Kotaku shit and David Jaffe insulted a CNN anchor when trying to present an argument for violence in video games.

It's going to be a long year.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@msavo said:

We'll be too busy with new hardware for the press to be lazy and start bitter rivalries or misguided content.

I have to agree with this prediction actually. :P

We'll be too busy groaning, mulling, and wasting time around the inevitable flood of new System Wars topics to notice or wantonly discuss 'Gaming Journalism's corruption.' :P

The System Wars board still exists on Gamespot for a reason people. >_>

And given the evidence we already have of Gamespot users leaking over... <_<

Sinister plot, convenient happenstance, complete rubbish, or business as usual returning from many years ago... Pick your poison. :P

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By golguin
@planetfunksquad

@golguin: They didn't call everyone who didn't like the ending entitled, they called the people making petitions and throwing around personal insults and threats at anyone who dared say that the ending wasn't bad entitled. Jesus fucking christ you people can't see that distinction can you?

You should really look over my post again. We are talking about legitimate concerns being lumped in with the hyperbolic ones and the press failing to address the real issues with the game. DmC us the perfect example. Very few outlets recognized the true issues expressed by fans. Gametrailers was one of the few that had someone on staff familiar with all the games in the series that did address those concerns. Jeff said gb would not cover the game in a way that DMV fans would like because of the unfamiliarity with the nitty gritty stuff of the series. GB at least made it clear the approach they would take with the game.
jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jjm494

I really did wish the press would stop using messages boards as straw-men for their arguments when discussing the gaming community. It really comes across as convenient tool when they want to point something they believe is wrong the community.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By MildMolasses

@golguin: @pyrodactyl: I think I muddied my point up a bit, so let's just take out ME3 out of the equation.

What I'm getting at is that it is entirely OK for press to acknowledge their experience with a game and leave it at that. No matter what, there will be some people are going to be unhappy with a game whether it is with how the final game turns or whether it's changes to an already established series. Expecting the games press to run through and go to bat for every differing opinion is ridiculous. That is not their job. They offer opinions and purchasing advice. They cannot create a laundry list of contingencies and caveats for every single game they play and review. If people strongly dislike an aspect of a game, then by all means they can discuss it with each other, rant, review, etc. But what it seems like is that a lot of people expect the games press to fight their fights for them. It isn't their job to go to developers and say "hey, people don't like the direction this game is taking so you should change it" or "the story is kind of weak, so you should get better writers." Their concern when it comes to matters of subjectivity is just to examine the finish product and that's it.

Now if you want to call out the games press on their complacency towards companies that ship broken games, then by all means. That's an entirely different ballgame. One that we have every right to hold the games press accountable for. There's no excuse to ignore the myriad technical issues that have plagues major releases in the past year. But when I see people getting worked up about how reviews didn't mention the poor end game of Diablo 3, or how X-Com was dumbed down from it's original or Dead Space 2 not being survival horror, I have to shake my head. Games press express their opinion on the product as they see it. If the consumer sees it differently then it is on them to send their message by voting with their dollars, not lash out at the guys who wrote a review about it. We all get disappointed by games we're excited about at some point or another, but we can't just suddenly expect every reviewer to feel that same disappointment.

If a shitty movie comes out, nobody shits all over the critics because the studio made it poorly. No one writes into the New York Times blaming them because Stephen King doesn't know how to end a story well and they didn't do anything to stop it. So why do we put these same expectations up game reviewers?

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By doobie

sometimes the press is maybe untrustworthy or sometime maybe lack integrity (not GB)

but its the 'fans' who are fucking embarrassing.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Alkaiser

Eh, it'll be alright I guess. Most of it will probably be garbage and most journalists will probably still write at a third grade level and act the part, but who cares. Just find the people you like and don't let the rest bring you down. Hence why I haven't visited any gaming site that isn't Giant Bomb since 1up went down the shitter because at this point, if you can't either be funny or genuinely interesting (or both preferably) then its a waste of time to pay attention to you.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By planetfunksquad

@golguin said:

@planetfunksquad

You should really look over my post again. We are talking about legitimate concerns being lumped in with the hyperbolic ones and the press failing to address the real issues with the game. DmC us the perfect example. Very few outlets recognized the true issues expressed by fans. Gametrailers was one of the few that had someone on staff familiar with all the games in the series that did address those concerns. Jeff said gb would not cover the game in a way that DMV fans would like because of the unfamiliarity with the nitty gritty stuff of the series. GB at least made it clear the approach they would take with the game.

At no point in your post did you say that, but if thats what you meant then fair enough. I only read one specific comment out of context of the full conversation. Apologies.

I wouldn't call reviewers overlooking other peoples opinions when they present a score an embarrassment though. I'm a believer that a review should judge a game based on it's own merits not the merits of any game before it, even if it shares the same name. Judging DmC, being a reboot, by the standards of prior games is no more fair than judging every Zelda game by how much you liked Ocarina of Time. If a games fun it deserves 5 stars.

And on the subject of ME3, yeah it had problems, but until the ending (if you ignore the dumb N7 missions) it was pretty rad. A shit ending doesn't negate the fun that lead up to it.

@MildMolasses said:

What I'm getting at is that it is entirely OK for press to acknowledge their experience with a game and leave it at that. No matter what, there will be some people are going to be unhappy with a game whether it is with how the final game turns or whether it's changes to an already established series. Expecting the games press to run through and go to bat for every differing opinion is ridiculous. That is not their job. They offer opinions and purchasing advice.

This. If you're upset because you don't feel your opinions are being represented in games coverage then you have two options. Start your own site or do nothing. Forum discussion is futile.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By recroulette

Not as bad as the people commenting on whatever the gaming press puts out, that's for sure.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Scotto

@algertman said:

Over the last year it has really come into light just how bad things are in the gaming press when it comes to integrity and honesty. On top of that just how childish everyone acts when they get called out on it. Look at the Halo 4 mess. MS did their best to court the gaming press over it and the press just ate it up. But when they got called out on it and brought up journalistic integrity? Oh no, they were never journalist, never used the word, and never presented themselves as such, and how dare you bring that up. Mass Effect 3 was bizarre because I have never seen the gaming press turn on the public like and attack. GTAIV reviews read like some competition of which site could have the most outlandish praise. This year will be glorious. So how bad do you think it will get? I expect huge twitter meltdowns over members of the press defending their actions.

New Consoles - MS has thrown around insane amounts of money in the past. Remember the Kinect party with the ponchos? I expect Sony to go all out but they just don't spend the money like MS does. One year MS just gave everyone at their E3 show a free 360. Nope, nothing questionable there at all.

GTAV - As I said up top, GTAIV reviews are so crazy it's like they were wrote up by Rockstar and reviewers just signed their name to them. I expect GTAV to be no different.

These are some of the dumbest examples of compromised press integrity I've ever seen. Particularly your assertion that the reviews for GTAIV were so good, that clearly they were being bought off by Rockstar. GTAIV was an incredible game, and got reviews to match.

The gaming press also fawned all over Journey last year -- were they all bought off by Jenova Chen?

The OP really just reads like a jabbering crazy person with an axe to grind. REMEMBER THE PONCHOS???

Yeah, I also remember the Kinect getting kind of panned since it's release as a gimmick that doesn't work well enough, nearly often enough. Evidently the poncho party didn't turn them all.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JZ

So the only reviews you count as real are negitive ones?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@JZ said:

So the only reviews you count as real are negitive ones?

This is basically what this "journalistic integrity" argument from a certain crowd has come to. If it's positive, it was bought. Unless it's Dark Souls, or a game by Platinum Games, or an Obsidian RPG, or X other game I champion.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kurtbro900

No poll?

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By algertman

@Scotto said:

@algertman said:

Over the last year it has really come into light just how bad things are in the gaming press when it comes to integrity and honesty. On top of that just how childish everyone acts when they get called out on it. Look at the Halo 4 mess. MS did their best to court the gaming press over it and the press just ate it up. But when they got called out on it and brought up journalistic integrity? Oh no, they were never journalist, never used the word, and never presented themselves as such, and how dare you bring that up. Mass Effect 3 was bizarre because I have never seen the gaming press turn on the public like and attack. GTAIV reviews read like some competition of which site could have the most outlandish praise. This year will be glorious. So how bad do you think it will get? I expect huge twitter meltdowns over members of the press defending their actions.

New Consoles - MS has thrown around insane amounts of money in the past. Remember the Kinect party with the ponchos? I expect Sony to go all out but they just don't spend the money like MS does. One year MS just gave everyone at their E3 show a free 360. Nope, nothing questionable there at all.

GTAV - As I said up top, GTAIV reviews are so crazy it's like they were wrote up by Rockstar and reviewers just signed their name to them. I expect GTAV to be no different.

These are some of the dumbest examples of compromised press integrity I've ever seen. Particularly your assertion that the reviews for GTAIV were so good, that clearly they were being bought off by Rockstar. GTAIV was an incredible game, and got reviews to match.

The gaming press also fawned all over Journey last year -- were they all bought off by Jenova Chen?

The OP really just reads like a jabbering crazy person with an axe to grind. REMEMBER THE PONCHOS???

Yeah, I also remember the Kinect getting kind of panned since it's release as a gimmick that doesn't work well enough, nearly often enough. Evidently the poncho party didn't turn them all.

I remember the Skyrim PS3 fiasco. Gaming press refused to call Bethesda out on their shit. If they did it was buried in mountains of dick sucking that game received. Rockstar has deep pockets and bought a lot of ads. It's public knowledge that MS wrote Polygon a huge check.

Hell look at this.http://kotaku.com/5953989/we-just-unboxed-500-worth-of-halo-4-stuff-to-help-you-decide-if-its-worth-it

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Brendan

Not as badly as forum users like

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By GreggD

@Parsnip said:

@GreggD said:

HANS, BUBBY

Nice suit.

Looks like my original comment got deleted...can't say I blame them, what with its brevity and being in all caps.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Aronman789

Well the Dead Island Bust fiasco was pretty shit on both sides, with the company being idiots for releasing it and the press and community sectors being idiots for horribly overreacting, and along with the shitstorm that was the blind DmC hate, I'd say we're going pretty strong in the stupid-stream, but we'll have to go pretty hard to beat last year's record. Perhaps bring up sexism some more, that should do it.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77  Edited By scroll

I was going to argue your points before I realised that you are crazy.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ExplodeMode

I don't think the problem is a shadowy hand with a comedy prop bag of money, but with some people who are afraid to give an honest opinion. You can sometimes see reviewers rely on the temporary crutch of giving you the opinion they think you want to hear. And it can lead to problems that honesty/unpopularity would have avoided.

How often does a game come out and you feel like you can guess the review scores, just off of hype? I feel like it happens a lot. But guessing the public reaction and how people actually feel about the game? Way less consistent.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@algertman said:

@Scotto said:

@algertman said:

I remember the Skyrim PS3 fiasco. Gaming press refused to call Bethesda out on their shit. If they did it was buried in mountains of dick sucking that game received. Rockstar has deep pockets and bought a lot of ads. It's public knowledge that MS wrote Polygon a huge check.

So you're mad MS wrote a Polygon a check... to advertise and subsidize their documentary.

And you are mad... Rockstar bought ads? On an ad supported site?

What are you getting at? These are businesses? This is exactly how TV, newspapers... EVERYTHING works.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80  Edited By pr1mus

Man now i wish i had a poncho...

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dacnomaniac

Kotaku will continue to exist. ZING!

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#82  Edited By boj4ngles

@Jimbo said:

I'd be surprised if they can top ME3.

A challenger appears!

No Caption Provided
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gaff

@boj4ngles said:

@Jimbo said:

A challenger appears!

No Caption Provided

Thanks! That's one forum I'm pre-emptively ignoring!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kishinfoulux

Don't get me wrong the gaming press can be fucking awful...but you have to realize a lot of this stupid shit comes from the fans/gamers. THEY are the ones who make mountains out of mole holes.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By EXTomar

I seem to remember reports from press about the state of the PS3 version of Skyrim. Was there something they missed? What is the complaint??

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ShaggE

This thread makes me proud of GB. It's a rare forum that doesn't devolve into "EVERYONE'S ON THE TAKE BOUGHT OFF BOUGHT OFF BOUGHT OFF DANTE'S HAIR" at every opportunity.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By LevelUpAdrian
@ShaggE said:

This thread makes me proud of GB. It's a rare forum that doesn't devolve into "EVERYONE'S ON THE TAKE BOUGHT OFF BOUGHT OFF BOUGHT OFF DANTE'S HAIR" at every opportunity.

I must be reading a different thread.
ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Gaff said:

No Caption Provided

@boj4ngles said:

@Jimbo said:

A challenger appears!

Thanks! That's one forum I'm pre-emptively ignoring!

For real. I think we may never be able to discuss a Bioware release on the internet again.

@LevelUpAdrian said:

@ShaggE said:

I must be reading a different thread.

You should go check like NeoGAF. It's way worse. This is better.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@ShaggE

9/11, 9/11, Illuminati, Shriners, Freemasons, Triangles, Mole People, 9/11!
abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By abendlaender

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ShaggE

Don't forget 9/11

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By DarkShaper
@MariachiMacabre said:
@ShaggE

Don't forget chemtrails.
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@DarkShaper said:

@MariachiMacabre said:
@ShaggE

Don't forget chemtrails.

I have a fine selection of tin foil hats for you gentlemen to peruse. All of the latest styles and I think you'll find my prices to be quite competitive!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By rachelepithet

Hmmm, whats as outdated today as MTV and The Killers and ModelMayhem.com objects turned pro-gamers were in 2005? Lets see... Kings of Leon... Spike TV, Myspace... Olivia Munn...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#94  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I didn't read your post and I doubt I agree with the sentiment of the topic but I did laugh when I read it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Branthog

It doesn't matter, because as far as the gaming press themselves are concerned, they are the most righteous force on earth. They ignore covering most of the issues in which they or other journalists are culpable, they dismiss and openly antagonize and even hate their audience, and they walk around sniffing the asses of everyone they cover in hope for getting the hell out of the hallowed halls of journalism so they can go work in marketing, community management, PR, writing, design, or some other aspect at a developer or publisher.

There are a few exceptions out there which are fantastic (as far as we know), but we're clearly l talking about the gaming press as a whole, which requires generalized statements.

@Ghost_Cat said:

Every press or gaming press makes mistakes or gets a little carried away sometimes, but it's the fanbase, commenters, and forum users who are out-of-control embarrassing.

Which is annoying, but you presumably should expect more form someone who likely has a degree and considers themselves a professional who is doing this professionally. I expect far more from a guy writing for Forbes or Game Informer than I do from Ghost_Cat or someone else posting spur of the moment comments in the Giant Bomb forums. Well, I don't actually expect more -- because experience has taught me otherwise. But one should reasonably expect more.

@Pr1mus said:

The gaming press can be pretty bad at times but other than the ME3 thing your other examples are even worst. You just sound like a crazy person going nuts over review scores.

I think a better example that could have been used is the narrow-minded dog-with-a-bone "sexism sexism gamers are evil scum!" stuff that went on all year. In some cases, in reasonable response to actual incidents out there and in far more cases as a dragged-on link-bait or self-wanking attempt to seem more serious than most of their content would otherwise be. This in contrast to the lack of other "serious coverage" of just about any other topics. An example of contrast, the original poster could have brought up how so many of the biggest outlets just completely ignored the whole Lauren Wainwright and Rob Florence thing and the ones who did finally cover it only doing so with great disdain for having to do so and only in response to an overwhelming outcry from their own readers (and when they finally did bother to cover it even a little bit well after the fact, it mostly focused on how anyone who judged Wainwrights abhorrent behavior was a "misogynist" -- because that goes back to the only serious thing gamer journalists know how to write about, I guess).

In fact, this goes back to the sentiment some are showing in this thread, about "the internet" instead of the journalists. I think a great deal of the shit we see from "the internet" is due to the total lack of setting a high bar by game journalists.

In the end, too many of us then just dismiss any journalist failures by saying that they aren't real journalists or it doesn't count because it's just entertainment or because this is an area which mixes being an enthusiast with being a journalist and reviewer. Those are all pretty cheap and flimsy excuses. It's true that this is the current state of affairs, but it isn't true that it's all we should expect and absolutely not true that it's all we should demand.

For that matter, we should begin to demand more from each other, as an audience/community/commentors, too.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Andorski

Bit of a loaded question, no?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By EXTomar

I think Bioware will be fine and gamers can discuss their products if Bioware steers away from the overpromising.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Branthog

@EXTomar said:

I think Bioware will be fine and gamers can discuss their products if Bioware steers away from the overpromising.

Oh, I hope that is the case. I feel that the last Mass Effect and the last Dragon Age have shown too much of an EA influence. Combine that with The Doctors leaving and I expect to see more erosion of what Bioware was.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#99  Edited By fisk0

@algertman said:

Most gaming sites I read did call out Bethesda, and explained the process that lead up to the game's high scores. The sites need to have the games before launch in order to have reviews ready to publish at launch, and the only review copies they got were for the 360 version, thus they reviewed that version. Many sites use the somewhat questionable model of copying the review for one platform of a multiplatform game and posting it as a review for all platforms. In general the difference between the platforms isn't that big that it would've mattered much, but Skyrim and Bayonetta were games where the PS3 version was without any doubts the lesser experience. Again, there was no way for the reviewers to know that before launch, as for multi-platform games they get the 360 version, without exceptions (I think both Giant Bomb and IGN have mentioned in articles that they've explicitly asked for PS3 versions of some games, but still gotten the 360 review discs), but after release I don't think any outlets said that the PS3 version of Skyrim was totally fine and something they'd recommend you getting. The best solution would of course be not to post reviews for platforms you haven't played the review code (but even then, the review code isn't always the exact same version that'll go out to stores, and in some cases issues the reviewer experience with the review copy may not be there on the retail discs), but I guess releases like Skyrim and Bayonetta are rare enough for them to think it's good enough, as I'm sure otherwise their readers would be raging that there are no PS3 reviews.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By algertman

@kishinfoulux said:

Don't get me wrong the gaming press can be fucking awful...but you have to realize a lot of this stupid shit comes from the fans/gamers. THEY are the ones who make mountains out of mole holes.

That happens because the gaming press will not police their own little club. They all rub elbows, go to the same parties, screw the same drunk both babes, and they get insanely defensive when they are attacked or feel threatened. E3 at gametrailers is like some big circle jerk with everybody from the gaming press invited. Then when they get called out on it and caught with their hand in the cookie jar they lose their shit.