How can I make this game better?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

I HEAR YOU GUYS LIKE TO REVIEW GAMES. WELL THAT'S GREAT COS I LIKE TO MAKE EM.

So I'm halfway through a project right now and I'm carting it up n down the internet for feedback. Usually I make games that are a parody of a genre. I made Cannoncrotch, which is my Metal Slug, and then Crunchdown, which is my Streets of Rage. This next game is basically a 2D side-scrolling Devil May Cry with all the wierdo cultist devil nonsense taken out. Use WASD or the arrow keys to move and use the mouse to attack.

Also, you can double-tap left or right to dash, and launch enemies into the air by clicking and then immeadiately pressing UP.

HERE'S THE GAME

Note though that it's a work-in-progress, so any glitches or broken parts: Don't tell me. What I want to know about is the concepts, enemy design, level design, artwork, interface, controls and all that nonsense. Any way you think I can make this more fun or more cool, tell me. Oh, and you can't actually buy anything in the shop, that's not done yet. Anything you think I should make into a buyable item, shout it out. Also you can't die- I want everyone to see the whole game, so until it's published, dieing is taken out.

I don't want to completely outline the plot, but basically you're a boy named Johnny, deal with the devil, seven bosses, it's all very deliberately over-the-top and dumb.

By the way, here's a dev blog that shows the game being made from the beginning.

ANYTHING TO ADD TO THIS?
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Warfare

Tits make everything better.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By I_smell

Noted.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Slunks

I'm not sure how the range of the sword feels, but I'd maybe extend it a bit more. There's a bit of a blind spot in between the shooting range and swinging range -- Depending on how the gameplay is, you may not be able to run forward/that close to enemies without getting hit.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Wait, where can I play it?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_smell

Oh, the link was broken. It's fixed.
Slunks
said:

"I'm not sure how the range of the sword feels, but I'd maybe extend it a bit more. There's a bit of a blind spot in between the shooting range and swinging range -- Depending on how the gameplay is, you may not be able to run forward/that close to enemies without getting hit."
You can shoot an enemy no matter how far away from them you are. Also the hitboxes on the enemies are pretty forgiving.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HazBazz

I really like the game. The wall jumping mechanic is cool, and the animations are nice. 3D scrolling backgrounds are cool too. It seemed like most of the enemies had weak attack though, they never seemed to take any health off at all.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gunswordfist

HOLY SH**, you're the guy who made Crunchdown?! That game is pretty ingenius. This is the first time I've ever got to thank a creator for doing a game I like so 'Thank you!'.

Anyway, I'll check out your dev diary and tell you what I think about the game.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_smell

Awesome. I'm gonna keep making games like that.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

Wow. These games are really, really good. Awesome job man.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By super_machine

I like it. The control is simple and effective. Some of the level design is a bit difficult. the light house wall jumping cool. The Crab battle was cool too. good job.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TheGamerGeek

The boss battles are very good. Definitely better than most retail games I've played on consoles this year. I'm looking at you, Mirror's Edge.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By brydello

That was fantastic. I loved the Crab Battle.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gunswordfist

Okay it took me awhile but I played through all of the update demos.

I was going to say that the climbing needed to be fixed...but it has been fixed. But I got to say that the last box pushing part in Level 2 was annoying. I had to restart the level the first time because I pushed the box on the wall and couldn't reach the next level. That part needs to be removed and replaced with some exciting vertical platforming. I love vertical platforming so much.

Also the sword charge takes WAY too long. The game is supposed to have you running through the levels kind of fast, right? Well have a charge attack where you have to not use sword attacks for 15 seconds or so to charge it messes up the pace.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gunswordfist
I_smell said:
"Awesome. I'm gonna keep making games like that."

That's good to hear. NG needs many more beat em ups.