How Do You Feel About Being Late to the Party?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kazona

I was listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast, and they started talking about retro games, as well as games they've never played. I think one of them mentioned Ultima World, and he said how he never played it, and that he kind of wished he had, but at some point he just felt like he would be late to the party and that, from what I gathered, bummed him out to such a point that he decided to just not play the game at all. 

So my question to you all is, have you ever felt like it was too late after a game's release for you to still pick it up? Or perhaps games that you put aside at some time, and then never got back to because everyone had finished it already? 

I gotta say that I have had those moments. I can't name any games off the top of my head, but there have definitely been times where I really wish I had gotten a game on the day, or soon after, the day of release, just so I could've joined in on the discussion on those games. And the fact that I didn't sometimes does bum me out to such a point that I actually don't get the game at all. It's kind of like... not wanting to have that feeling of, "dude, that was so fucking yesterday." 

Anyone else had that feeling?    

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

usually it dont bother me when im a week or a month late, but SOMETIMES with a few games (like arkham asylum for example) i be like FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Maybe it's not the worst thing in the world, and I don't absolutely hate it, but getting a game late can feel bad.  In the cases of MP games there are practical reasons, everyone has far more experience than you and the community usually degrades pretty quickly.  You also run a big risk of spoilers if you get a game very late.  I think there's also a psychological effect I can't fully explain.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Better late than never!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

i dont mind it, but it is one of the reasons I dont play online

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazona
@TheSmilingDude:
Patience? What is this alien concept you speak of?
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty

I usually play my games a year or more after they have been released; sometimes I feel envious of launch day buyers because of the hype and craziness that surrounds discussion soon after release, as well as the more active multiplayer community. But most of the time I'm just fine waiting.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kazona
@Diamond said:
"Maybe it's not the worst thing in the world, and I don't absolutely hate it, but getting a game late can feel bad.  In the cases of MP games there are practical reasons, everyone has far more experience than you and the community usually degrades pretty quickly.  You also run a big risk of spoilers if you get a game very late.  I think there's also a psychological effect I can't fully explain. "
For me that psychological effect is the feeling that I can no longer contribute to any kind of discussion about the game. Sure, I can create a topic about Dead Space because I finally finished it, but I doubt anyone would really join in on a discussion about the game so long after its release.
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By unclejohnny79

i dont really mind. its kinda nice getting a game while everyones hyped for it but theres not much difference

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I do this all the time, it's pretty good when you want to avoid all the hype surrounding a game at its release. Also allows you to really identify good games if you play them quite a while after they were released and they still hold up, but other games I kind of wish I could have played them at their release to appreciate some of the finer parts of the game better contextually, I guess.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

I don't bother thinking about it most of the time.  I can see it being an issue if the game in question is a multiplayer only game like Shadowrun, but for most others, it's not an issue.  In fact, waiting a bit is sometimes a good thing.  First of all, any patches that are needed with fix the launch bugs.  Secondly, the game community will have time to build gamefaqs and play-through videos for those points where you might get stuck.   Finally, the price might drop either because the game is now a "greatest hits" or because there is a preponderance of used copies on the store shelves. 

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Branthog

I didn't really get into video games until I was in my early 20s and consoles about the time I turned 30, so I missed out on a lot of great stuff that I'm going back and playing. I don't care if I'm the last guy on earth to play a particular game . . . *except* the current generation, where after about three months for 90% of the titles that have online play, the games are dead. If you're an achievement whore, you're pretty much fucked. And if you just like to enjoy all aspects of a game that you've paid for, it's frustrating. I really wanted to enjoy Beautiful Katamari online a number of months ago, but every time I logged in there were ZERO people playing. In the world. It only goes to further emphasize what a waste of developer resources it is to bother with multiplayer for games that are otherwise not multiplayer.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Branthog said:
" I didn't really get into video games until I was in my early 20s and consoles about the time I turned 30"
when was that ?
4thVariety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 4thVariety

It is NEVER too late to play a good game. I suggest people play more Doom. No regenerating health, no cover, not even a cross-hair.

Avatar image for tylerdurden1681
tylerdurden1681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tylerdurden1681

There are some games I would love to play the day they come out, but I don't mind waiting if they come out in November and just get them as Christmas and birthday presents a month later.  Kind of nice to actually have something you really want to play come Jan.  One year I bought all the good games before Christmas and by the time Christmas break rolled around I was left with nothing new to play or get excited about until March.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Tordah

I'm always 2-3 years late to the party and that's just how I roll. I don't care much for multi-player so it's never been an issue for me. Also, saves me tons of money. 

No Caption Provided
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By septim

There is a nice communal aspect of knowing you're playing the new hot game which everyone's playing and talking about.

Then there is also the joy of discovering a great game you might have missed before.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

I really don't give a rats ass.. I'm not playing games for the fun of others (well not really true sometimes) 
I play games so I can have fun with them. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hitchenson
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

I rarely buy a game when it comes out, so not really. 

I also enjoy playing the game at medium speed, so i don't really participate in a lot of game discussions.  

On the other hand i love when i find a game released a while ago, and i find it pretty good. It's such a good feeling! 

The only thing that bums me out about playing old games, is when the art style and gameplay feels old and clunky, without giving you the sense of emersion you'd want. That's my only beef with it. 

But otherwise it's all cool.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By PureRok

Considering I spend most of my time playing old SNES and PS1 games... no, I'm not bothered by it.

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kahi

Sometimes I hate it sometimes I don't.

Uncharted 2, bought it last night because I just had to get it, but I know I won't play it for a month probably and kick myself when I see it on sale somewhere like amazon for $50 when I still haven't opened mine yet.

Brutal Legend, I want to play it, but will be fine waiting until it's $40.

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By raegunz_

could care less. unless it's something like uncharted 2.
waiting is sometimes cheaper anyway.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By animateria

I started WOTLK 3 weeks late compared to my friends.

Let's say it was a lot of work catching up to their level so we can quest together.

But otherwise I'm fine being late to a party... Especially when I got better parties to go to. (so to speak)