How is PS5 and Xbox Series X's library of driving/racing games going to be by 2022 and beyond?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello

It's about 6 months after the launch of PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Well at this moment, I personally find them both kind of underwhelming for racing/driving games, since only a handful of them being released so I hope in the near future, they will get better by having even more driving/racing games to be released by 2022 and beyond, but however, you can still play any of your old PS4/Xbox One's driving/racing games via backward compatibility though.

The list of driving/racing games on PS5 and Xbox Series X that are available now (As of May 12th, 2020)

PS5's first parties:

• Destruction AllStars (February 2nd, 2021)

Xbox Series X's first parties:

• Forza Horizon 4 (Enhanced version, November 10th, 2020)

PS5 and Xbox Series X's third parties:

• DiRT 5 (November 10th, 2020 and November 12th, 2020 for Xbox Series X and PS5 respectively)
  • WRC 9 (November 10th, 2020 and November 12th, 2020 for Xbox Series X and PS5 respectively)
  • MXGP 2020 - The Official Motocross Videogame (January 14th, 2021)
  • Ride 4 (January 21st, 2021)
  • Renzo Racer (January 25th, 2021, for unknown reasons why this game is not available on Xbox Series X)
  • Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 4 (March 11th, 2021)
  • Can't Drive This (March 19th, 2021)
  • MotoGP 21 (April 22nd, 2021)

Coming Soon (Scheduled to release by mid-2021, 2022, and beyond)

PS5's first parties:

• Gran Turismo 7 (Delayed and I guess it will release by fall 2022)

Xbox Series X's first parties:

• Forza Motorsport Reboot (I guess it releases by mid or fall 2022)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (Most likely going to release by fall 2021)

PS5 and Xbox Series X's third parties:

• Wreckfest (Enhanced console version)
  • F1 2021 (July 16th, 2021)
  • WRC 10 (September 2nd, 2021)
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed (September 30th, 2021)
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione (TBA 2021)
  • Need For Speed 2022 (Supposed to be a 2021 game until it got delayed)
  • Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown (I guess it might release in 2022)

Edit: Added Forza Horizon 4 enhanced version for Xbox Series X.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You are ignoring the massive upgrade Forza Horizon 4 got on the Xbox Series X. It performs much better there than it did on the One X, but the biggest difference is the load times, which have been slashed to a fraction. The load times were the biggest problem Horizon 4 had, and now they're a non-issue. Since you are including a lot of cross-gen games in your third party list you should not leave Horizon 4 off. It is probably the best racing game of the 8th gen (at least if you're not into highly technical sims) and while the PC version is still king, the Series X version is a huge upgrade.

Racing games had a pretty terrible 8th gen. There were some good titles released for sure, but we went from multiple AAA series to a combination of lower budget AA games (like the DIRT games or Project Cars etc...) and a bunch of disappointing would be AAA stuff like The Crew and Driveclub. I would argue that the Forza Horizon series was the only mainstream racing series that had a good generation. Not that there weren't some decent tiles released, especially if you don't mind a little jank or lower fidelity graphics, but compared to the 7th gen where we had a huge amount of variety and a lot of landmark titles it was a let down of a generation.

I expect that to continue in the 9th generation. Racing games just aren't as popular as they once were and have become more niche, focused primarily on sim fans, which make for lower budget titles. Forza, Gran Turismo, and Need for Speed are the last major franchises standing, and Gran Turismo has been mostly MIA for a while (outside of Sport) while Forza Motorsport has been floundering and Need for Speed has been consistently trying to reinvent itself to no real accomplishment. Forza Horizon is the only series that has consistently delivered top quality AAA arcade racers recently. It's hard to see any of the big publishers investing the money to build another big racing franchise so it looks like the smaller AA games are the future of the genre.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: For Driveclub and The Crew, if I remembered correctly that car lovers were hyped up for both then it turns out to be disappointing for having average driving physics for traditional arcade racer standards.

I agreed that the 8th gen era's lineup of driving games is inferior to the 7th, 6th, and 5th gen era.

Briten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wreck Fest received a pretty good update for the new consoles too.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@briten said:

Wreck Fest received a pretty good update for the new consoles too.

I can tell Wreckfest is currently the best demolition derby game for PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC owners to play, even though I'm not a fan of demolition derby.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Crash team racing if you wanna count it, was really good. Racers feel like sports titles in that their audience is so nice when it comes to simulation racers. Reviewers have trouble reviewing em if they're yearly cause its so nitty-gritty with incremental changes that aren't super out there for good reason. If you notice the driving in a car game it's not always good. It should be generally understood how to make a car racer feel good by now...we've done it for 30 years. So your left with making it more simulation and dry for the small group that likes nitro and cars blowing up and whatnot. Anyway, every time I think a genre is dying or gone cause lack of releases, I get my foot in my mouth. I thought fighters would die off since...their not making Fortnite money no matter how good they are and for investors, if you don't have the potential for Fortnite money, your bad. But it seems anything can come back. Racers too. Racer royal anyone?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2021 seems to be an underwhelming year for the PS5/Xbox Series X library of driving games but to me, the best driving game for these 2 would be Assetto Corsa Competizione which I hope it will be better than PS4/Xbox One version and better be as good as the PC version.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I miss PS1 and PS2 era driving games. They weren't all good but at least there were a lot of options.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss PS1 and PS2 era driving games. They weren't all good but at least there were a lot of options.

I agreed with you about the PS1 and PS2 era of driving games, also don't forget the original Xbox and Xbox 360/PS3 era has tons of good 1st and 3rd parties of driving games too.