How is the next-gen console stock where you are?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've been trying to get my hands on a PS5 for the past month or so here in the UK and haven't seen any in stock at any (reputable) retailer in that entire time. The craziest thing is that there is almost no information from official sources about when and where new stock will be dropping, feels like Sony and Microsoft have really dropped the ball with these launches but no one is mentioning it.

Is the stock situation similar in other territories?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As I understand it Sony produced a batch of PS5's for the launch and thats it. They are in the process of making more but until they ship the second batch I think thats going to be it for now unless a Wallmart or UK equivalent suddenly forgot they had a hundred units sitting around in a warehouse somewhere. They were supposed to have had a second wave of restocks at the beginning of January but that fell-through without any word from Sony or retailers.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I live in Turkey at the moment, and almost every retailer has them in stock. The reason they haven't been moving them is that each of the $500 consoles cost around a full thousand dollars here, due to the heavy Turkish electronics taxes (Which is usually 30%, so I don't know how they got to these ridiculous price tags)

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't understand how you can launch your flagship console and have absolutely none of them available, anywhere, and say nothing publicly to your consumers. It's insane.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By tatsuyarr

No XSX, no PS5 available in France, you can't find them anywhere. I just checked this morning at 6 main retailers.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By navster15

@sombre: This is every console launch in recent memory. I really don’t see anything new here, save for the scalper bots being more sophisticated.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: meh not so surprising- it's still a 1 month wait to get standard WFH equipment (laptops, monitors) in my neck of the woods, so it isn't shocking high demand gaming hardware is difficult to find.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Doesn't seem that hard to get XSX in the US. PS5 is another story.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here in Nova Scotia Canada it's pretty nonexistent.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By geirr

Afaik there were around 5000 PS5's at launch in Norway that pre-sold
half a year before release, and I've been on a waiting list since August and still nothing.
Someone said "maybe March"

Sustenance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS5 is nearly impossible to purchase in the U.S. unless you buy from a scalper (which I don't recommend you do). However, I was able to get one last year due to Sony's queue system. I've really been after an Xbox Series X, but I don't use Twitter so I'm out of luck for now. I've gotten to the "checkout" stage six times, but never was able to complete the transaction.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brian_

I'm in the US and I just managed to order a Series S last week, which very much involved the process of obsessively checking every retailer's site in multiple open tabs, websites that check who has what in stock, and hoping I was lucky enough to be at my computer when someone did get stock in because it all sold out immediately. I spent all of last week doing that, and during that time it seemed like there were maybe two or three restocks between all the major retailers here combined, that I missed out on, until the one where I managed to secure my order. Which still hasn't shipped yet, nor have I actually been able to obtain any info on my order status from the website.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mkennedy: what's up fellow NS duder!

And yeah, what they said.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have no physical stores in my area, so every choice I have is online. As soon as any part of the US has systems that can be purchased online so will I....not fun.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the UK there are no PS5's or Xboxes. I was lucky enough to get a PS5 at launch but I haven't been able to find an Xbox anywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You picked the worst time to look for a PS5 in the UK, some places had a small restock early in December, but since then there has been nothing.

Sony has said there is a restock coming this month, but that was last year and we've heard nothing since.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There's no stock in the US either; you aren't walking into a store and buying either of these consoles off the shelf. This isn't really any different than most other hardware launches; it took me a month to get my GTX 980 back when those were coming out, a week to get my 2080 Ti, and like a month to get a Switch, which, you'll recall, were hard to find for several months when quarantine started.

I've been lucky/persistent enough that I've now gotten three PS5s, but I also had stock alerts/wario64-style twitter accounts open while I was working and would spam refresh/add to cart buttons or sit in queues whenever anything popped up.

1. I preordered my PS5 the day of the announcement when all of the retailers put them up early; I picked it up on launch morning from Best Buy.
2. A week after I got mine, I started trying to get one for my brother for his birthday/Christmas. I spent three weeks trying each day in 1-3 stock drops/queues until I finally got one from Walmart on Dec 15, which arrived Dec 26.
3. After Dec 15, my girlfriend said she would be interested if I was able to get her one, since she had been trying non-seriously to get one (i.e. would check Target or Best Buy like once a week and be like 'oh, guess they're out of stock' lol) since I got mine. After another few weeks, I was able to get an order through for hers on Best Buy on Jan 7 that she's picking up this week.

To criticize Sony or Microsoft in this situation seems like people are looking for someone to be mad at because they can't get one; you're crazy if you don't think these companies would've loved to have had double or triple the stock to sell through during the holiday window.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Non-existent.

Really, every retailer lists them as "Coming soon". Apparently Sony broke preorder contracts on my country to send all units to the bigger markets on my neighboring countries.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes forget that new consoles came out.

Read that however you'd like.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sombre said:

I don't understand how you can launch your flagship console and have absolutely none of them available, anywhere, and say nothing publicly to your consumers. It's insane.

They sold more PS5s in the first 2 months than they did PS4s in the same time period, and PS4 was already the biggest console launch of all time. Demand is just impossible to meet.

shabz6662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently in ksa, it’s super easy to get a series x and s, has been in stock at amazon since day one launch, but get a ps5 is impossible. No one has it in stock. Some online retailers have ps5 but at exorbitant prices. Amazon has been out of stock since nov launch date, local Sony stores say replenish of stocks will happen in April.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

They sold more PS5s in the first 2 months than they did PS4s in the same time period, and PS4 was already the biggest console launch of all time. Demand is just impossible to meet.

That seems crazy to me, I don't know a single person with either of the next-gen consoles. Do you have a source for that?

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the UK - got a Series X at launch, and managed to get a Series S (for my son's upcoming birthday) a couple of weeks ago when they were in stock at Amazon for about a day. X, S and PS5 all still really hard to get hold of here 😞

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is one PS5 in the whole of the North East of England, apparently. Yours for £815.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@ramone said:
@ll_exile_ll said:
@sombre said:

That seems crazy to me, I don't know a single person with either of the next-gen consoles. Do you have a source for that?

PS5 made more money and sold more units at launch than any other console in US history - VG247

As for your point about not knowing anyone that was able to get a console, just anecdotal noise. Myself and my entire Destiny friend group (6 people total) were all able to pre-order a PS5 and have it arrive in the first 2 days. I certainly wouldn't use that to somehow assert that PS5s are super easy to find because everyone I play games with got one.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wardcleaver

I tried to pre-order both the Xbox Series X and the PS5 with no luck. After launch, I did the spam-refresh-thing when retailers announced they would be getting in stock. Like others, I have gotten to the checkout process where I had a PS5/Series X in my cart, but got the "this item is no longer in stock" message at the final step .

I finally broke down and bought a Series X from StockX for about $650 USD. My budget for each system (PS5 & Series X) was $600 USD, before pricing was announced, so that is how I justified it to myself.

By the way, I am in the mid-west US.

sandm0rph22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No consoles that I saw locally since launch (I was able to get an Xbox online). When you enter the store you can see Target with their signs reminding customers they have no PS5 and Xbox series X,S. Those signs been there probably since launch in November.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Here in South Korea the PS5 is sold out everywhere. Site that are taking open orders sells out within seconds of releasing new stock. Some retailers have you apply to buy a PS5 and randomly selects who's able to purchase.

I gave up and just upgraded my PC instead. I was lucky enough to find PC parts, because now they seem impossible to get also. Why so hard to spend my money?

Mikebill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Checking in from Australia. At the moment the XSX/S are far easier to get, but do seem to fluctuate on availability. As for PS5, I've only seen them available to purchase on the day preorders opened, and briefly on launch day. I managed to get a 2021 shipment order on preorder day but who knows when the hell that will arrive. I check periodically to see if places like Amazon, Big W, Target, Jb Hi-fi etc. Have it but if they have ever restocked since launch I personally havent seen it

EgonVonHolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the Xbox Series X and the PlayStation 5 are completely out of stock in Germany as well. I have been checking somewhat regulary other the last two months and it has been impossible to buy either console from the major tech retailers.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The Series X and PS5 have been completely sold out in Finland since launch. The current rumblings are that more stock for both could arrive some time in February. The Xbox Series S is available in a few stores.

Roadshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You wonder why they bothered to line up the launch with the holiday shopping season when it seems like it was guaranteed from the beginning that the early adopter market was just going to snatch them up anyway.

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Botched launch. There should be a little buy it now button on my xbox one or ps4 that allowed me to buy a console, with priority given to gamerscore, digital purchases, and loyalty. Who cares about joy average that can't walk into a store and buy a console. If you don't already have a decent gamerscore or trophy collection then you're are a scalper PERIOD. They have sold primarily to scalpers. I'd be alot less bitter if they had 1/2 the allotment going to the wolves in retail store and the other half being systematically sold to people with better gamerscores or consecutive years of live or psPlus. In my own personal protest I don't see myself buying these until i can get used disc versions and i'm not buying jack digitally every again. They messed this up. Forcing me to do a 2021- 2D digital only games so I don't feel totally stepped on. Ferrari and Bugati would never piss off their current owners. Look at what they do.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Botched launch. There should be a little buy it now button on my xbox one or ps4 that allowed me to buy a console, with priority given to gamerscore, digital purchases, and loyalty. Who cares about joy average that can't walk into a store and buy a console. If you don't already have a decent gamerscore or trophy collection then you're are a scalper PERIOD. They have sold primarily to scalpers. I'd be alot less bitter if they had 1/2 the allotment going to the wolves in retail store and the other half being systematically sold to people with better gamerscores or consecutive years of live or psPlus. In my own personal protest I don't see myself buying these until i can get used disc versions and i'm not buying jack digitally every again. They messed this up. Forcing me to do a 2021- 2D digital only games so I don't feel totally stepped on. Ferrari and Bugati would never piss off their current owners. Look at what they do.

No Caption Provided

senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone: Rendered speechless. This rollout could have been perfect. There are certain percentage of people that are in hot pursuit of a 10K gamerscore so they can convert that in funny money xbox rewards. They coudl have gamefied this whole thing and we'd be happy to wait. Please do say something so iI don't think it's the mic drop i know it to be.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senorsucks2suck: Totally agree! Screw grandma who wants to buy a console to see little Timmy's face light up at Christmas, or people who play a lot but only play a few live services game, this should be about real hard gamer cred like Gamerscore!

And from a marketing and business perspective what you DON'T want is a bunch of people all trying to buy your console so it is seen as the hottest new tech and you get a bunch of stories about how it's sold out everywhere and is super desirable. Let alone filthy casuals buying one to show off to their friends.

And the LAST thing you want is people who used to have a Playstation buying your Xbox so they can get in on Gamepass, or ex-Xbox users moving to PS5 for the hot 'sclusies. You don't want to poach the other guys' customers, that's bad business!

What you DO want is to make it seem like an expensive and elite piece of gear that only hardcore gamers would be able to get or even want.

This launch sucked for the consumer but the idea that it was a botched launch from the companies' perspective is...wrong.

They sold every console they could manufacture and they currently have more demand than they can keep up with. They've made these new consoles seem rare and desirable and made it seem like everyone should compete for them. This is the Nintendo launch model but done basically by accident (because they couldn't manufacture as many as they wanted due to corona.)

senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By senorsucks2suck

@bigsocrates: Like i said 1/2 of the allotment goes to the wolves (so grandma who needs to recognize that Johnny has a minecraft or fortnite addiction so maybe getting him a console is bad for your bloodline and legacy can still get one). But do different contests on consoles. Get 10K gamerscore and increase your chances... etc. Right now, I have no way to secure a series x or ps5 right now. If putting up 10K gamerscore in the month of january increased my chances by 200%, 300%, or anything that is better than what is currently in place. Nothing (200% of nothing is still nothing.. oh they message board police are foaming at the mouth for that red meat). There should be defintive get 50K gamerscore get a series X- guaranteed program going on right now.

nobody is saying "botched" from a companies perspective. your tattooed brands are showing. (that's a lovely lower back Linkle)that's what is wrong with gamers. They act like stockholders. IDK maybe poaching other customers means they buy your older system and use gamepass and milk that cow for all she's worth, get that gamerscore and get their new system. If people are paying double for a system. I'm done. I need some credentials bud.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers