Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

How Overwatch out-TFed Team Fortress 2 and what it can still learn from it

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

Edited By Cav829

I generally hate reviewing multiplayer games. While reviews offer static windows into what content is at a point in time, multiplayer games, especially competitive shooters, are fluid experiences that continue to evolve. While single player games may be patched post-release, the core game remains the same. Multiplayer games continue to change and evolve. How a developer curates their game over time is at least as important as how the game plays at launch. Team Fortress 2 is so different today from what it was when it was first released almost ten years ago that those original reviews for the game barely apply. In fact, Team Fortress 2 no longer occupies the space it once did of the king of casual shooters, n

2fort: the original and still one of the best
    2fort: the original and still one of the best

The original Quake and its mod capabilities are still responsible for what feels like about every modern multiplayer FPS mode and convention still popular today. Two of these mods in particular stand out the most: Capture the Flag (CTF) and Team Fortress. Team Fortress, created in 1996 by the trio of Robin Walker, John Cook, and Ian Caughley, was the more casual experience of the two. Whereas CTF was more of a pure test of your shooting skills, Team Fortress introduced the concept of classes and the different playstyles and strategies they brought to the gaming experience. Players who were less skilled at aiming headshots could play a Medic or Engineer. It was more difficult for singular players to dominate a game as every class had a counter to it. And the variety of team compositions every game featured created a fresh experience most every game.

Over the years, Team Fortress evolved into Team Fortress Classic, and eventually Team Fortress 2. I have personally played the three of these games more than any other FPS game series. Team Fortress and later Team Fortress Classic basically got me through college (along with the lesser-known classic Starsiege: Tribes). The intense combination of addictive, simple to understand gameplay, casual feel, and match variety has always been my jam. But at some point, Team Fortress 2 changed into something that was no longer what it originally was or what I wanted from it.

No Caption Provided

Valve eventually had the idea to add inventory to Team Fortress 2. It all started with the Gold Rush Update in April of 2008, which added three new weapons to the Medic’s arsenal. Over the next year, the Pyro, Heavy, and Scout received similar additions. Then in May of 2009, the world was introduced to the most infamous of all online gaming inventory items: hats. From that point forward, inventory options grew at an incredible rate. The popularity of inventory items among the core audience and the financial success of its related microtransactions eventually resulted in the June 23, 2011 announcement that Team Fortress 2 would be going free to play.

Inventory became both a blessing and a curse to Team Fortress 2. While it added more variety to gameplay and allowed it to go free to play, it also added an extra level of complexity to a previously simple game. Part of the charm of vanilla TF 2 was how you knew exactly what each class did. If you saw the big meaty dude with the chaingun, you knew he was a walking wall and you couldn’t face him up close. You knew his weapon, how to counter him, etc. With different loadouts for each class, players had to worry about unlocking inventory items. It became a much more complex game for newcomers to process. I personally haven’t played Team Fortress 2 in so long I can’t even attempt to convey what the modern game is like. Mind you, for a game now almost a decade old, Team Fortress 2 still maintains a pretty impressive player-base of 50,000 to 80,000 players at any time.

That brings us to 2016 and Blizzard’s new MOBA/TF-inspired FPS, Overwatch. The game openly wears its Team Fortress influence. On a basic level, one can point to characters such as Mercy and her healing beam, Junkrat and his grenades and remote-triggered concussion mines, and Widowmaker, the game’s most prototypical sniper, to see classes inspired by Team Fortress. With that said, Overwatch is smartly designed to appeal to what Team Fortress once was as opposed to what it is today. And this is where Blizzard in 2016 has managed to out-Team Fortress TF 2. Turning to their MOBA experience, they use more diverse characters that cover the range of the game’s four roles to achieve the effect of inventory without the complexity. Instead of having one Medic with multiple loadouts, you have three different medic choices.

Factually the game's best skin
    Factually the game's best skin

Even though Scout, Heavy, and the rest are cartoonish representations of what their classes are, the visual flair and memorable voicework of each character was one of the best additions to TF 2. Overwatch takes this to its next logical conclusion with its colorful and expressive cast of characters. From the bright and cheerful Tracer, the over-the-top grimdark known as Reaper, to fan favorite pro gamer D.VA, each character has a level of care (save a few perhaps less thought-out outfits) put into their design that attracts you to them. And much like what Team Fortress once was, you immediately know what each character you see is and how you should attempt to fight them. And to add to that, Blizzard's long history of character and art design is on full display here. While they're only cosmetic items, new skins actually feel like a reward. This especially holds true to the game's legendary skins which are the most unique and well-designed. Players earn loot boxes every ten to twelve matches, and although it suffers from the duplicate item issue that plagues most loot boxes, it isn't too bad.

By spreading a variety of playstyles into different characters, Blizzard has also made a game that is casual friendly. Between simple controls, the ability at any time to bring said controls up on screen at the push of a button, and multiple tutorial and practice modes, it doesn’t take long to grasp the basics of a particular character. And this element is vital, as Overwatch is a much tougher game to overcome character deficiencies than many of its counterparts. Anyone who has played a Genji and tried to take on a Winston knows that you need to execute flawlessly to come out ahead.

This is where Overwatch is most influenced by MOBAs. Every character has at least one hard counter. The aforementioned Winston struggles to best a Bastion or a Reaper. The jetpack-propelled Pharah is in turn a perfect counter to Reaper as well as the likes of Mei and most of the game’s tanks. But then in turn, Soldier 76 and any of the game’s snipers counter her. And so on. This dynamic encourages players not to settle on singular characters. It also adds a strategic layer of if and when you should switch characters during the match. The penalty for switching is the loss of any stored ultimate meter, so liberal switching is ill-advised.

But while this design philosophy might be the game’s greatest strength, it also represents its greatest vulnerability. Overbuff publishes a weekly report on the state of the game’s Meta. In spite of their best efforts, Blizzard has struggled to make more than half the cast viable at this level of play at any given point in time. In fact, statistics have shown only eight or nine characters on a weekly basis comprise the vast majority of picks at this level of play. And this has started to trickle into casual play as well.

Why are we seeing these trends? It starts like this: teams have six slots to work with. Teams can’t win at high level play without at least one support unit. During the first two months of play, Lucio and Mercy dominated this role due to Zenyatta’s slow speed and health. So in mid-July, Zenyatta was re-balanced. However, this re-balancing made him too good, he ended up taking Mercy’s spot as the most-played character and Mercy disappeared from the Meta. In addition, since he combos well with Genji, there has been a significant rise in Genji play the past two weeks at all levels.

No Caption Provided

Thus far, it can be said Blizzard’s success rate with their balance changes has been mixed at best. The best character change was to D.VA. By altering how her Defense Matrix functioned and making several changes to her ultimate ability, she has been brought in line with other tanks in the game. The almost comical antithesis to D.VA’s re-balance success though is McCree. Since launch, there have been three separate attempts to buff, nerf, or otherwise change the way he plays. Early on, his Fan the Hammer turned what was meant to be a flanker defender into a tank buster. So Blizzard nerfed this ability only to find they had made him too weak. Instead of fixing this ability, they increased his effective fire range as a misguided attempt to deal with the rise in Pharah play. However, the rise in Zenyatta picks combined with McCree’s newfound range abilities resulted in Pharah disappearing from the Meta rather than becoming balanced. And since McCree now countered Pharah, Soldier 76 likewise saw a significant drop in play as Pharah is one of the key characters he was meant to counter.

So let’s go back to team composition. So you’ve committed one slot, possibly two to Lucio and/or Zenyatta. Now you need at least one tank to soak up damage. Right now, all five tank characters are perfectly viable. That leaves two to three picks. For various reasons, Symmetra, Bastion, Tobjorn, and Hanzo have never seen much action in high level play. In a game of counterpicks, you’re going to pick characters countering the heavily played characters. So if I can counter Pharah with Widowmaker, McCree, or 76, but McCree also gains me counters to Tracer, Reaper, Winston, and Lucio, I’m going to take him over the characters that counter the Bastion or Torbjorn nobody is playing.

Right now, high-level Overwatch encourages teams to clash in six vs. six skirmishes rather than a series of individual battles. Characters that can get to the action (or bring it to them in Roadhog’s case) are going to win out in this type of play. So if you go back to the rise of Genji play, his best counter is Mei. However, Mei is one of the game’s slowest characters. Instead of concentrating on DPS, she freezes characters that come within range of her so teammates can eliminate them. This isn’t really of much help when there’s a Reinhardt blocking your ice gun with four damage dealers behind him. In fact, with the exception of Junkrat, the entire defensive lineup in the game is seeing almost no play at a high-level right now because the tanks take more damage, the attackers deal more damage and have similar HP, and save Widowmaker, they take too long to get around the map.

So that’s the issue with the game at the high level. That brings us to the casual gamer’s bane: the matchmaking. Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan has an in-depth post you can read if you’re interested in the nuances of how it functions. / Early on, I can attest that the matchmaking experience was mostly pleasant. Over time though, players have found that quick play matchmaking is obsessed with achieving win-loss parity over setting up matches based on skill. Instead of consistently offering fun, competitive matches, the game has been known to stick you in a set of five, possibly ten or more matches where you will be on a team that gets stomped to bring get your win-loss record back in line. That might sate the algorithm, but it’s hardly an enjoyable experience for the player.

Of course, the best way at the moment to get around this is to play in a group, but this, combined with the game’s balance issues are where even just under three months into the game you can see early potential for it to get away from Blizzard. For the game to enjoy the type of long-term success Blizzard wants from it, it has to remain fun for not just high-level players, but also casual gamers. For all the reasons it has attracted players with its variety of characters and playstyles, balancing high-level and casual play and making both experiences fun requires Blizzard to walk a tight rope at all times.

In spite of any listed issues, the game is still easy to recommend for the moment. Having spent over eighty hours and over six hundred and fifty matches with the game now, I have spent at least an hour as all but five characters. Despite some nights which are so frustrating I want to stop playing, the game remains addictive and engaging. Overwatch has the blessing of what Team Fortress once was in it. Now the question is can Blizzard avoid the curse.

wobblit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Nice summary of Overwatch so far.

For now Overwatch is the shooter I'll continue playing but unfortunately there's this feeling I am only playing it until something better comes along which I never had during the first few years of TF2. If vanilla or medic-upgrade TF2 were to come back in force I'm sure I'd playing that over Overwatch.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cav829

@enyallione: Thanks!

Well, I'm not quite ready to write Blizzard off yet. They've had a pretty good history of keeping their games balanced and knowing how to keep them updated over the years. But yeah, right now the game needs some work if it's going to continue to succeed over the long-haul. I don't think they're quite satisfying any particular group yet. High level e-sports play is unbalanced, mid-tier competitive matchmaking and ranking sounds like a total mess (I have been been playing it on PS4 and only just got a PC copy and have barely dabbled with competitive yet), and they're not doing as good of a job as they could with the matchmaking of keeping the upper echelon at bay so casual players won't get intimidated.

I think they have a good foundation here. But I'm not terribly impressed with their balance change efforts yet. That Torbjorn rebalance on console didn't so much balance him as just push him to the bottom tier. And they simultaneously nerfed Symmetra even though she was already one of the least played characters. I wish they approached it a little more like fighting games where they wouldn't overreact every time someone finds a problem. I have a feeling Genji is next to be hit with the nerf bat (or at least he seems to be the one most are complaining about right now) as the rise of Zenyatta along with the combo of Ana's ultimate ability and Genji's ultimate have made him incredibly difficult to counter short of popping Lucio or Zenyatta's ultimate to counter. Genji also is more of a menace on console than on PC thanks again to controller aiming.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By jacksukeru

I haven't played Team Fortess nor am I keeping up with the patches' effects to the meta, so your post was a fun and informative read.

I've played Overwatch a whaleton, more than 100 hours currently, and still enjoying myself in new ways. From getting into new characters to utilizing less visited parts of the maps. As I'm not a big competitive, multiplayer shooter guy to begin with (the last online game I put hours into might even have been the first Halo on PC) OW has brought me back to the genre in a way that I'm now more interested in FPS games than I've might've ever been prior.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

OW has brought me back to the genre in a way that I'm now more interested in FPS games than I've might've ever been prior.

And with that in mind, I highly HIGHLY recommend the new Doom game. Doom and Overwatch have breathed new life into the genre this year by a vast margin.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksukeru: It's too bad it's a Wii U only game, as Splatoon really pointed out the consumer demand for a good casual shooter last year. Even with the Wii U's paltry 12ish million install base, it surpassed 4 million copies sold this year. If it was on other platforms, I can only imagine what it would have done for sales (I originally wrote a bit about this in the blog, but decided to delete that paragraph as this was a bit longer than I originally wanted to write as was). But I'm with you. It's so nice to have some actual casual shooters to engage in again.

@frostyryan:I couldn't agree more. Doom is so good it still blows my mind. As good a year as it has been for gaming, I wouldn't hesitate to call it my Game of the Year right now. And Overwatch would be 2nd or 3rd for me.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice write up. Something I would add is that you don't even need to reach high level competitive play for some of the balancing issues to become relevant. I would say I'm a firmly average player and I see almost no effective use of the defensive characters (or Symmetra).

I am still enjoying the game though, and I hope they find a way to make more of their cast viable.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@darkmoney52 said:

Nice write up. Something I would add is that you don't even need to reach high level competitive play for some of the balancing issues to become relevant. I would say I'm a firmly average player and I see almost no effective use of the defensive characters (or Symmetra).

It still bothers me that Symmetra isn't just in the defense category of characters. Like, yeah, her ult is more support unlike the damage dealing ults of other defensive characters, but everything else about her is defensive in nature, between her effective range being similar to Mei (random long-range shot spamming that may or may not connect, other than that she and Mei both have a flamethrowerish weapon) and her overall skillset being good at guarding a certain area. Her shields are really no better than Torbjorn's armour. At best Symmetra can kinda make 1-2 paths inconvenient until opposing team switches to a Winston, but she covers such a smaller effective area than Torbjorn or most other defensive characters, while also doing a worse job at support than the other supports except she is mildly helpful when her ult is active.

I'm still surprised she hasn't been buffed. I want to like her skillset, but it has almost no place on a lot of maps.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Which is what makes the Symmetra nerf, yes nerf, not buff, on consoles even more baffling. They nerfed her turret damage by 30% because of the complaints against Torbjorn. It's at the point where you can almost hear the audible groan from the other members of a team every time they see a Symmetra picked.

Her teleporter is potentially one of the best ultimates in the game in terms of impact on a match, but you're giving up so much at this point to take it. Also, the Symmetra has to kind of stay out of view and know where to put it down as otherwise the other team just sends a Genji or Tracer to take it out. If all the other team does is take the trade of bringing out a Winston to counter the Symmetra, they're in a good spot.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@frostyryan: I don't have a PC that can properly run Doom, but I've considered getting the PS4 version. Just have been busy with other games and haven't gotten around to it yet.

@cav829: I never got the online portion of Splatoon to work sadly, not sure why. Smash was also fiddly and only worked occasionally. The fact that Monster Hunter on the frikkin' 3DS works flawlessly most of the time makes me wonder if something first party Nintendo does with matchmaking just wasn't very compatible with my NAT settings. A shame, either way.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I couldn't keep reading after the audacious statement that the Reinhardt skin was the best skin.

But in all seriousness, some good points.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: to be fair it doesn't really matter what class the characters are grouped into, once somebody has put a little time in they can understand what hero's are needed in what situations. Plus, they've now changed the pre match advice thing to "no healer".

I understand where you're coming from, I think the main reason she is support it her ult. It literally is a game winner.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cav829

@frodobaggins: I think Symmetra being in support is a leftover from the beta, during which time she gave a shield buff of 50 instead of 25. Also, they wanted at least four characters labeled as support I'm guessing to make it seem like it was better represented.

@cheappoison: Ha, thanks!

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TPoppaPuff

You're right in that Overwatch on the outside and at a glance is more welcoming in a lot of respects, but when it comes to gameplay and balance, if you rolled TF2 back to its first days, it's a better playing game than Overwatch. I say that as a shooter fan, but I can imagine MOBA fans likely disagree. And yeah, I agree the MatchMaking is poor in this game and leads to a frustrating experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.