I finished my very first game, It's called ICE, give it a try?

• 59 results
finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By finstern

You should put this on Kongregate.com, make some money from you creation!

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By mrariscottle

@Tamaster92: What uni are you at?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Castiel

Playing the game made me realise that I am in fact badger. The badger sees everything.

Do you see? DO YOU SEE!?!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By I_smell

@Tamaster92 said:

@JakeLogan: Indeed, I'm quite proud. between here and Reddit i got over 500 downloads in about 3 hours. I'm in the process of uploading the soundtrack to Bandcamp and will post the link if anyone is interested. Also any suggestions for new hosting?

Put it on Newgrounds or something, duh, you get like a thousand views from strangers in a few hours.

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By KillerBears

Hey since you were asking people who didn't finish it why they stopped playing, here are my thoughts:

I stopped on the second 'ascension' or whatever type level (lots of jumping up with small hops). I gave up because I had beaten the first one, then got to the second one and thought "oh, this is the same thing I just did, but slightly harder." The gameplay wasn't changing; there wasn't a reason to keep going for me. It would have been fine if I was motivated by something else, like a compelling story or changing visuals or music or, really, anything. The levels felt exactly the same and I didn't feel like I was moving toward anything new.

The narrative you present is interesting for the first two screens, and then sort of falls off. Using the static text is an interesting way to go about it, but the stuff you write doesn't tell me much. "Where am I?" "Are there people here?" ect. Those are all thoughts I had as the player already, so when the character has them they don't tell me anything about the character or the world I'm in. Some people have called the narrative "pretentious," but I disagree. There's nothing wrong with short, simple, statements. The problem is, your game doesn't really earn the right to use simple statements, because the world itself is simple as well--simple mechanics with simple environments. All indie darlings with little narrative still work because the world itself is so deep and interesting, and itself becomes the story, but honestly your game doesn't have that. In my opinion, the least drastic thing you could change to make this game 200% more interesting to me would be to change up the narrative text. If the game had started with "I was out last night, drinking with my mates, and woke up here..." or something a bit more original and flavorful, I would have been way more interested in continuing.

Anyway, don't think I'm shitting on your game. I dig the physics, and so few people get "hold the button less to jump less" right one their first try. And again, echoing the "music is awesome" people.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jozzy

Definately not a bad game, good job! I did however not finish it because it got way too frustrating on that climbing stuff. If you want to make a game with slippery surfaces and single blocks to jump on you better get the controls absolutely perfect. Once I got passed a really tricky part and it wasn't the end of the level and I died I couldn't take it anymore.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I didn't finish it because slippery ice levels in platformers are bullshit. I liked the music though. Small criticism: Don't make subtext, text. Think of ways to get the player to question where stuff came from rather than just having "Who built this wall?" on the screen.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By habster3

My critique pretty much sums up everyone else's gripes. Also, I landed on one of the spikes (on the level before "I shout for help) and it just disappeared. Great music and atmosphere, though.

EDIT: Just beat the game right now and I must say I was pretty impressed. Despite a few issues, this was definitely a great debut. Follow-up, possibly?

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By wealllikepie

damn this was super vivid. nightmarish, but not scary