Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By SathingtonWaltz

So I was recently playing Super Smash Brothers with my friend Jonathan and getting beaten as usual. You see, Jonathan is what I like to call a "that guy". You know, that one guy thats ridiculously better at a game than everyone else? The one guy that causes people to quit a tournament once they find out that "that guy" is going to be there? The guy that everyone loves to throw remarks such as "You have no life" at behind their backs? Well, Jonathan is a "that guy" at Smash Brothers. 

Well anyway, he was beating me as usual and I was starting to get a bit annoyed by it. It wasn't necessarily me being beaten that was bothering me, but it was the manner of me being beaten. You see, Jonathan uses lots of little exploits in the game such as "wave dashing", "wave dancing", and my least favorite  "wobbling", among others. Me being the honorable person that I am, forsake those exploits for a fighting style of pure skill based off of the games founding concepts and structure as was intended by the developers. Unfortunately for me, no matter how much skill I had it didn't make wobbling any less gay.

To understand how retarded wobbling really is, let me explain it to you. If you are Ice Climbers, there is a way to get your opponent trapped in between Popo and Nana, so that you can indefinitely "wobble" them between them with basic attacks. You can do this pretty much for as long as you like until they reach the desired level of damage and you could then proceed to tear them asunder, sending them to the darkest recesses of Mehrunes Dagons plane of Oblivion.  

So, as I was being beaten by him and his exploits I turned to him and said "Don't you think it's a little unfair to use these exploits against an opponent who does not?". His reply is something that will probably be a fond memory forever burned into my mind for all eternity. "I play to win, and thats it". I took some time to reflect on his words and I have come up with a conclusion that I would like to share with all of you. 

Does not playing to win, undermine the fundamental reasons by which we play video games in the first place? How can someone call themselves a gamer, if the sole purpose for doing so is to ruin the experience for someone else? The soul of gaming lies at the enjoyment of the experience, not the humiliation of others. To win is the objective yes, but isn't having fun the most important reason we play games? Playing to win means that your ruining somebody else's enjoyment of a game for your own self gratification. Is it not more satisfying to have won a battle fairly without the need of exploits unintended by the developers, or to have lost a battle honorably, knowing that you gave nothing less than your all? I would like to think so. 

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

So I was recently playing Super Smash Brothers with my friend Jonathan and getting beaten as usual. You see, Jonathan is what I like to call a "that guy". You know, that one guy thats ridiculously better at a game than everyone else? The one guy that causes people to quit a tournament once they find out that "that guy" is going to be there? The guy that everyone loves to throw remarks such as "You have no life" at behind their backs? Well, Jonathan is a "that guy" at Smash Brothers. 

Well anyway, he was beating me as usual and I was starting to get a bit annoyed by it. It wasn't necessarily me being beaten that was bothering me, but it was the manner of me being beaten. You see, Jonathan uses lots of little exploits in the game such as "wave dashing", "wave dancing", and my least favorite  "wobbling", among others. Me being the honorable person that I am, forsake those exploits for a fighting style of pure skill based off of the games founding concepts and structure as was intended by the developers. Unfortunately for me, no matter how much skill I had it didn't make wobbling any less gay.

To understand how retarded wobbling really is, let me explain it to you. If you are Ice Climbers, there is a way to get your opponent trapped in between Popo and Nana, so that you can indefinitely "wobble" them between them with basic attacks. You can do this pretty much for as long as you like until they reach the desired level of damage and you could then proceed to tear them asunder, sending them to the darkest recesses of Mehrunes Dagons plane of Oblivion.  

So, as I was being beaten by him and his exploits I turned to him and said "Don't you think it's a little unfair to use these exploits against an opponent who does not?". His reply is something that will probably be a fond memory forever burned into my mind for all eternity. "I play to win, and thats it". I took some time to reflect on his words and I have come up with a conclusion that I would like to share with all of you. 

Does not playing to win, undermine the fundamental reasons by which we play video games in the first place? How can someone call themselves a gamer, if the sole purpose for doing so is to ruin the experience for someone else? The soul of gaming lies at the enjoyment of the experience, not the humiliation of others. To win is the objective yes, but isn't having fun the most important reason we play games? Playing to win means that your ruining somebody else's enjoyment of a game for your own self gratification. Is it not more satisfying to have won a battle fairly without the need of exploits unintended by the developers, or to have lost a battle honorably, knowing that you gave nothing less than your all? I would like to think so. 

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Dude

The objective is to have fun, if purely winning is what gives him that enjoyment, then that is how he will play and why he will play.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

I enjoy the journey. In the end its far more important than winning.

TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheJadeAngel

I agree ,  i enjoy winning something but not at the cost of fun and certainly not by any nefarious methods of achieving a victory .  If you own the game and you want revenge don't let him play it anymore .  Lets see how much fun it is for him then !  Seriously though some people just can't help themselves .

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By coakroach

Humans are competitive by nature, some more than others
Some people play sports for fun others to win, Same goes in business or schooling or whatever

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By granderojo

I get shit for playing to win in Banjoo Kazooie, those little kids hate my shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Don't want exploits used? Make a point of it before you actually start playing. Otherwise? Fair game.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok

I don't see how wobbling is an exploit. If it's something that's being done with a single character who just happens to be two then it's just a facet of that character. Sounds to me like you get stuck in it and whine. Just like people who get stuck in corners in other fighting games.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@PureRok

This blog isn't about whining, I was using that particular event as the basis for my argument about "Playing to win". If I were whining, then the entire blog would be about how wobbling is stupid etc. I've since found ways to avoid wobbling for the most part now. Mind this is my first blog, and I did put too much emphasis on the event than my actual argument. 
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By keyhunter

The objective is to WIN.  That's why I'm betting on Sebulba!

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gunswordfist

Eh, his playing style is his playing style. It's only an 'exploit' because it's pretty much guaranteed to make you lose. I know he's actually having fun beating you and he's playing a game so he's not taking away from any 'fundamental' of gaming. I think you're just questioning his play style and reasoning because you aren't winning. I get beat by my little brother in every single competitive game I ever play him in (he's that damn great) I've gotten repeatedly beaten by a kid who was 8 years old or something in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I've gotten beating by a very annoying pair of an 8 or something boy and girl in Gears Of War 1, I get owned all the time in online fighting games at gametap and guess, I'm having fun the entire time! Just focus on having fun and don't worry about 'exploits' like repeated sweep kicking and camping (can't stand people who whine about camping)

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Gah, I didn't mean for this blog to go in the direction it did. I was trying to propose an argument, not focus on him winning. I beat him all the time as well, but the main argument in my blog was about what I thought of using unorthodox methods not intended by developers to win (cutting corners). I said in my blog that I didn't care that I was being beaten. It's like if I fought someone in a boxing match and lost then I wouldn't care. But if that guy put poisoned tipped spikes on his boxing gloves and I lost the fight, I would be a little annoyed. I wasn't screaming in anger when I lost or anything, it was more like a "-_-". But anyway, this is my first blog, and I should have written it better.