I want an RPG

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By calf_exercises

So i have never been a massive fan of RPG's, the one and only RPG that i played and loved was Oblivion and I dont actually think that it counts as a true RPG does it?

So I am looking for something with a great story, gameplay is fun and involves no grinding. it has to be on either PS (1, 2 or3) wii or pc. they are the only limitations.

so what do you think?

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By twenty0ne

Fallout 3 - when it comes out. It will be a lot like Oblivion.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr
calf_exercises said:
"So i have never been a massive fan of RPG's, the one and only RPG that i played and loved was Oblivion and I dont actually think that it counts as a true RPG does it?

So I am looking for something with a great story, gameplay is fun and involves no grinding. it has to be on either PS (1, 2 or3) wii or pc. they are the only limitations.

so what do you think?"
how the fuck does oblivion not count as a true rpg?

You should play mass effect if you havent already.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ma7moud

I think you should wait for Fallout 3 and Fable 2 both are coming out in late October .

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zityz

Well since you don't have a 360....Id say play Tales of Vesparia....so on that note.

Go buy a 360 and get Tales of Vesperia

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By calf_exercises

Yeah, I am really, really excited for fallout 3. I dont know but a lot of the FF fans and people who play alot of JRPG's say that oblvion isnt a true rpg, so i wanted to get a game those sorts of people like to see if its my sort of thing, I would wait for FF13 but that is another year away.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By danielkempster

You say you want to check out JRPGs? In that case, the PS2 has a really impressive back catalogue. My recommendations will be the obvious ones, but Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy X would definitely be worth checking out. You can probably pick them up really cheap these days, too.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia

If you liked Oblivion and want a similar experience in JRPG form, I would recommend Radiata Stories. It's really as close to a fantasy WRPG as it gets. Other candidates would include Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, and maybe the Tales of series.

If you liked the freedom Oblivion gave you, I really wouldn't recommend FFX. It's the most linear RPG out there, and almost literally puts you on rails sometimes. I'm not a big fan of FF in general, though. It's basically the polar opposite of the DQ series as far as JRPGs go, which is a series I do enjoy.

If you want the most Japanese of Japanese RPGs out there, try the Xenosaga series. It's basically an interactive mecha anime (no really, half of it consists of cutscenes).

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb
calf_exercises said:
"So i have never been a massive fan of RPG's, the one and only RPG that i played and loved was Oblivion and I dont actually think that it counts as a true RPG does it?

so what do you think?"

Er, yes Oblivion is a true RPG. Japanese RPGs are not RPGs, but I really don't want to get into that. It is way too early for me, right now.

I'll suggest Mass Effect right now, it is an amazing game.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Gunraidan
For JRPG's go here.

For WRPG's: If you want to start out with something of quality then there is no going wrong with Fallout 2. If you want something that is less traditional and kind of lite then go with Deus Ex 1.

BiggerBomb
said:
"calf_exercises said:

so what do you think?"

Er, yes Oblivion is a true RPG. Japanese RPGs are not RPGs, but I really don't want to get into that. It is way too early for me, right now.

I'll suggest Mass Effect right now, it is an amazing game."
I understand where you are coming from that comment but Oblivion isn't a true RPG either if you are going around those lengths.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Systech

The only answer I can give you is to wait for Fallout 3. It's going to be the second game that I bought this year.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kush

Go get a copy of KOTOR and Jade Empire for the PC.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb
Gunraidan said:
"For JRPG's go here.

For WRPG's: If you want to start out with something of quality then there is no going wrong with Fallout 2. If you want something that is less traditional and kind of lite then go with Deus Ex 1.

BiggerBomb
said:
"calf_exercises said:

so what do you think?"

I'll suggest Mass Effect right now, it is an amazing game."
I understand where you are coming from that comment but Oblivion isn't a true RPG either if you are going around those lengths."

The more you can role play, the more of an RPG it becomes. Oblivion is the second most open RPG ever made, right next to Morrowind (I do like Oblivion better, though.) JRPGs are on rails RTS games with a behind the back perspective.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^^Oblivion doesn't focus that much on you being a role in the world. Certainly not as much as Fallout or Baldur's Gate and other acclaimed RPG's. Oblivion is like an open-world hack-n-slash with some meaningless classes. Much like the early Final Fantasy's. And on-rails RTS? What kind of JRPG"s have you been playing?

Shervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shervin
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb
Gunraidan said:
"^^^^Oblivion doesn't focus that much on you being a role in the world. Certainly not as much as Fallout or Baldur's Gate and other acclaimed RPG's. Oblivion is like an open-world hack-n-slash with some meaningless classes. Much like the early Final Fantasy's. And on-rails RTS? What kind of JRPG"s have you been playing?"

A - random monster encounter- B. B - random monster encounter - C. C - random monster encounter - D. Character customization? Nope. Dialogue options? Nope. Factions to allign oneself with? Nope. Choose between friends and enemies? Nope. Say in story or character progression? Nope and nope. Do ya see where I'm going with this? Where is the role play in that?
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^^Where is the "role play" in Oblivion? And again with those descriptions what JRPG's have you been playing?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Emilio
Levio91 said:
"Gunraidan said:
"^^^^Where is the "role play" in Oblivion? And again with those descriptions what JRPG's have you been playing?"
I dont like oblivion but its obviously a dumbed down RPG  for console owners and i agree fallout 2 is the greatest rpg of all time. And im pretty sure fallout 3 is going to be dumbed down on pc so the console players can play too."
Please don't blame the console gamers, blame Bethesda.
I agree, though.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By lazyturtle

Neverwinter nights (yea...it's old) has a huge selection of multi-player online worlds..my computer can't deal with NwN 2 so I don't know how that is...

KOTOR, Fable and Jade Empire were all good as mentioned earlier...

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZeroCast

I can recommend Persona 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2 for the PS2.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_

Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic deserve your attention.