IF The New Xbox Doesn't Play Used Games Would That Be Enough To Keep You From Buying It?

• 129 results
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Poll IF The New Xbox Doesn't Play Used Games Would That Be Enough To Keep You From Buying It? (309 votes)

Yes (Explain) 47%
No (Explain) 53%

So this is a big if but if the new Xbox doesn't play used games would that single fact, regardless of anything else including software, keep you from buying that new console? I personally don't buy a ton of used games but, at times, I still do. But that isn't why I find this concept gross. I'm not even that insanely "don't be anti-consumer!" about issues with the game industry or any other industry.

But this fact would be enough to keep me from buying the new Xbox because it is an example of Microsoft inserting themselves forcefully into a scenario in the worst way possible with a dumb solution. Used games are a problem for developers and publishers. But simply cutting off used games from consumers isn't a good way to fix this problem. That is a slap in the face to consumers who will then turn on those developers, publishers, and Microsoft. Instead offer them an alternative. Be creative and dynamic. Don't just lay the hammer down and expect that everyone will fall in line.

So that's why, if this rumor turns out to be true, I wouldn't support Microsoft and their new console regardless of anything else.

• 
haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haffy

I'm just going to wait to see both of them. I don't really see the point on deciding how to spend my money with such little information.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope. becasue i have not bought a used game this gen.

the prices of games on amazon are just as cheap as used games in our local GAME.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I voted yes but I'm not going to explain.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

actually I will explain I am hella poor and thus get a lot of my games used so...

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, its not a big deal. i dont buy used games anyways. sure its a dick move, but PC doesn't let you play used games. hows that any different?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yes. I buy most games new, but every so often I get an urge to play some older (dumb) game that nobody really cares about anymore, and it usually comes down to do I want to play this older game for £10 or £3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't play used games.

Sorry, I guess I do play used games from a decade ago or more, but most have no way to acquire them digitally, and I paid well over market to get physical copies of the ones that do. Digital copy of Silent Hill is 6 dollars, physical is 45.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure it will but it certainly could be. We've been pushed as console gamers to realize the PC is pretty clearly the best gaming platform now-a-days and with one of the CORE things I value about consoles removed I have one less reason to be that guy who just waits for Steam sales. Right now I'm the guy going out and putting down $60 on new releases because I KNOW if they really don't work for me I have ways to recoup some of the cost.

If I can't trade/sell/borrow games I'm guessing that I would buy less than half of the games I do today at the price I do.

Or just wait for steam sales and screw consoles.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I voted no, then I realized I just bought a used game online and I'm reconsidering. I buy almost all my games new, but when I miss something and decide to come back to it two, three years down the road, I don't want to be gouged on the price because there's no used market to compete with. @clonedzero: if Xbox Games on Demand had sales like Steam does, it wouldn't be an issue, you're right.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, then I realized I just bought a used game online and I'm reconsidering. I buy almost all my games new, but when I miss something and decide to come back to it two, three years down the road, I don't want to be gouged on the price because there's no used market to compete with. @clonedzero: if Xbox Games on Demand had sales like Steam does, it wouldn't be an issue, you're right.

its having a big sale 75-85% off all this week. big name games too.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not at all. I've never bought a used game before, so it'd make no difference for me.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

No plans to buy a Xbox 3 because none of the exclusives cater to my tastes and I own a high end PC at the moment anyway. But if it was the PS4 that blocked used games it wouldn't bother me.

- Never bought used games.
- 100% okay with account tied games.
- Been doing it on PC for a decade.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TyCobb

I don't buy used games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

It sucks for sure but would provide a very minor inconvenience. PC is my gaming platform of choice. That doesn't let me buy a used game from GameStop doesn't matter.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No. I'm sold on direct downloads as long as they give me ample drive space and make the price the same as retail. I haven't bought a used game in ages, and they're never much cheaper than amazon's new prices anyway.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My purchase of a next gen system will depend on what type of games are where. The playstation system has been the place for my art house, indie and JRPG needs and I don't see that changing. It has enough of everything else that I don't feel like I'm missing much. If I ever feel the need for a space marine game or kinect experience then I'll consider a microsoft console.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can live without used games, i'll miss being able to try something out before throwing down 60 bucks on it but i can manage. My main issue comes with the always on internet. Despite living in the largest city in Canada my internet will still bottom out for an entire day once a month or so and not being able to play games at all would be a real and unnecessary pain. If they demand always on internet i will go PS4 or stick to PC, no questions asked.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ttocs

If the new Xbox doesn't play used game Microsoft is done for. There is no way that it will compete against the PS4 if the two systems are comparable in specs and games. I'm pretty sure Microsoft knows this and that's why used games will be able to play on their system.

The always on internet connection is another thing I'm concerned about. It's not an issue for me, but I'm sure it is for others. PS4 already said you can play offline so Microsoft should do the same.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coafi

Yes, I rely on renting games to decide if the game is worth the price. If they take that away from me, I won't buy the console.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably wouldn't have bought the next xbox anyway but this definitely puts the nail in the coffin. I don't mind it on the pc where you can get games cheap, but I don't think there going to be cheap on the consoles. Nothing has suggested that they will sudden just turn into steam and do crazy flash sales where you get games that have been out for a few weeks for $20 like steam does. So i would rather have the option to use used games (even though i don't buy used) just in case.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Goodness, that would be the dumbest decision they could make. In other news, I'm not a PC gamer, so the "PC has been doing it forever" argument does nothing for me.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I buy the majority of my games on sale or used. If I'm lucky there are 3-5 games a year I'm willing to pay full price for. If they did block used games, I would buy a hell of a lot less of them unless the market changed to where most games automatically dropped to Steam-sale prices within 6 months of release.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

No, but to get me to buy it they would have to have a hell of an exclusive lineup; a better game than Dark Souls for starters; some good JRPGs, a better game than Uncharted/Last of Us, and an extremely good sequel to some long dead franchise. With amazon the price difference between new and used is generally negligible and I prefer new games anyway.

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

I buy most of my games either used or I rent them, two things blocking used games on the New Xbox would pretty much kill, so I'd basically be out.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely buy games used, but it's still a nice alternative. AC: Revelations is still 35€ here and I ordered it used for 10€. That's a difference that matters to me!

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter if you buy used games or not, it's the option to. If one console allows it and the other doesn't and both consoles are going to have similar games (like this gen with releases of the same game going multi-plat) then it's pretty clear who the winner next gen will be.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No, I have internet at all times and buy everything new anyway

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's the only thing I don't like about the new Xbox then no, that wouldn't be enough to get me to not buy it. I already don't buy many used games since I can usually find plently of good deals on new games. However, I do like the option of playing used games so if the new Xbox has this and other problems then I probably wouldn't buy it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, been using Steam for years so already use to the idea. The problem would be that I wouldn't buy the games unless they were deeply discounted quickly.

handsomeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point there are too many unanswered questions for me to say for certain, but I would be hesitant. I would seriously consider switching unless they gave a very convincing argument for blocking used games.

I don't buy a lot of used games, but I will pick one up on occasion. There are often games I miss out on in their release window and don't get around to until 3-6 months (or longer) after release. By that time the used game prices are often$10-$15 cheaper than a new copy, and while that isn't a lot of money, it does sound better when telling my wife how much I spent.

I am also concerned about what they actually define as a used game. The rental industry is pretty much dead at this point, but Gamefly, among other outlets, still exist. What would this mean for them? And what about that old-fashioned practice of borrowing a game from a friend?

As a bit of a collector this sort of mechanic has me worried about the systems future viability as a collectible. As more and more publishers/developers adopt the digital model, game collecting will become more scarce. Unless Microsoft is willing to go full digital this generation there are going to be physical copies of games. I'm not concerned with these games holding value. I collect out of purely archival/nostalgic reasons, so my main concern is will I be able to go to a flea market in 20 years and purchase a functional copy of a Durango game.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip: I'm with Rogers, despite the occasional drop the service is alright but only so long as i'm still able to play games in my free time when it is off :p

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pr1mus
@oscar__explosion said:

Nope, been using Steam for years so already use to the idea. The problem would be that I wouldn't buy the games unless they were deeply discounted quickly.

I think the same in regards to Steam. Been using it for years and i'm fine without used games but i voted yes because i don't think Microsoft is smart or humble enough to understand why it works for Steam. I don't expect prices on new games on a Microsoft console to drop quickly and be heavily discounted regularly like Steam does it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By veektarius
jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't buy used games. If my 360 disks don't work in the new console, that would be annoying but not a deal breaker.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not necessarily an issue I would hop upon my horse to shout about, but it would push me towards the PS4, along with all the inertia that comes with having had a PS3 this generation.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy used games so it doesn't matter to me. And i have decided not to get rid of my PS3 or 360 but knowing me and how i play games after the new systems are out i don't see myself playing old games.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mrsignerman44

It would be more than enough for me, just another really anti-consumer move by microsoft if it happened. I like to rent games, I like to borrow games, I even like to give games out from time to time. Locking games to one account would just be a big dick move overall.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

steam is my main platform, so used games have no impact on my decision.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Nope, because I never buy used games, and that isn't really any different than my pc.

However, trying to sell me a multimedia, social platform will

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Animasta

really though anyone who says "oh but steam" like that's a argument needs to realize that steam deals are way better than console games get, and sooner too

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends which console has the (few) exclusives I'm interested in playing. Right now PS4 has The Witness, not sure what the Xbox 8 is going to have.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think letting me carry over my XBLA purchases is a bigger deal to me than used games.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

No. 96% of the games I buy are new. You should buy new games, not used ones.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jdh5153

No I don't give a fuck about used games. I buy 80% of my games digital (if they don't release a game digital day one I end up having to buy the disc) and I've never bought a "used" digital download.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Not being able to rent would be a bummer, but whatever. I can live without that.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Used books, used CDs, used DVDs. No other media gets away with the idea to pull some shit like this, but somehow game publishers, who make money on the scale of large movie studios, can scream bloody murder over used game sales, and it gets traction.

I will not buy a game console that blocks used games, not because I buy a lot of used games, I don't, but because I do loan games to friends and take games over to friend's houses to play and encounter a myriad of other situations where I would want/need to play a game on a console that's not my own.

I don't get the sympathy for this, used sales are nothing new, and by blocking it, you open up the door for even more trash in landfills in the form of game discs, cases, etc.

If your business model doesn't support the used sales of the product you sell, maybe it's time to change your business model.

Also, I wasn't super hot to buy the next XBox anyway, so something like this isn't going to edge me any closer to jumping on that wagon.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By leebmx

@grantheaslip said:

I really don’t care. I think it would be good for the industry to shed the ridiculous, exploitative used games business, and frankly, I’m at a point at which I’d much rather buy everything I can digitally. Them making everything available digitally helps a lot — my biggest concern if used games were killed would be finding obscure and/or older games, although I’ve never actually had a problem finding new copies of old games online.

I’m receptive to the consumer rights argument on principle, but the used business is so damaging to the industry (and for, what, a 10% discount if you’re lucky?) that I think the benefits outweigh the problems.

I agree with you in general but the discount is a lot more than 10%, it makes a real difference if you don't have much money. For Example last Oct I didn't have a job a lots of games were coming out which I wanted to play. I bought Borderlands 2 new for £38 finished it and traded it in for XCOM. I got £26 and paid the difference of £12. I kept on doing this all through the season basically paying £12 a game.

Now I know the industry hates me for doing this, but I had no job and I wasn't on the dole - so what could I do.

If used gets banned then Microsoft or whoever have to get real creative (Valve creative) about their pricing if they want to keep customers happy and keep the money flowing.

Just think, what would I have done last Autumn if used had been banned. I would have bought 1 game at full price and then that would have been it. Maybe I would have got 2 if I had been able to save up but probably not. The pricing has to change. For example I bought Dragon Age Origins the other day for £4. On Xbox Live it is £15.

I think people have a certain budget for games and it won't go up if they suddenly have to pay full price for everything - they will just buy less games.

EDIT: my answer to the question is no - but it would depend happens with the PS4. If all publishers start doing their own get-arounds to ban used I will just get a PC and pay realistic prices, depending on my finacial circs.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow the poll stands at a 50/50 split,

if they block used games then im not buying it, just cause there are games to me that are only worth a rent, and there are games id like to loan my friends.