IF The New Xbox Doesn't Play Used Games Would That Be Enough To Keep You From Buying It?

• 129 results
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Poll IF The New Xbox Doesn't Play Used Games Would That Be Enough To Keep You From Buying It? (309 votes)

Yes (Explain) 47%
No (Explain) 53%

So this is a big if but if the new Xbox doesn't play used games would that single fact, regardless of anything else including software, keep you from buying that new console? I personally don't buy a ton of used games but, at times, I still do. But that isn't why I find this concept gross. I'm not even that insanely "don't be anti-consumer!" about issues with the game industry or any other industry.

But this fact would be enough to keep me from buying the new Xbox because it is an example of Microsoft inserting themselves forcefully into a scenario in the worst way possible with a dumb solution. Used games are a problem for developers and publishers. But simply cutting off used games from consumers isn't a good way to fix this problem. That is a slap in the face to consumers who will then turn on those developers, publishers, and Microsoft. Instead offer them an alternative. Be creative and dynamic. Don't just lay the hammer down and expect that everyone will fall in line.

So that's why, if this rumor turns out to be true, I wouldn't support Microsoft and their new console regardless of anything else.

• 
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

This would be a big factor in my purchasing decision, to be sure. If this is true, with all the information I have right now about the PS4, I probably would not buy. However, all bets are off if MS secures exclusive Bethesda or Rockstar games/DLC.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#52  Edited By Atlas

The only time I've ever bought used games was when I was buying games for older systems, like when I was in a period of buying PS2 games. And like other people have said, I've used Steam as my primary gaming platform for nearly 3 years, so I'm already entirely accustomed to not buying used games.

I did use to sell games that I bought and either didn't like or played enough of, so not being able to do that would be something of a minor annoyance. But it wouldn't be something significant enough to effect my interest in buying a system.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By reckless_x

I would hate for them to do this, but it's honestly not something that affects me.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It would. I do most of my gaming on my PC, but I do like to have at least one current console around, if I can afford it. For those, I have to buy used a lot of the time. I just don't have the money.

And for people saying it's not much of a discount, you must be thinking of Gamestop and such, cause it's quite a dip on ebay, which is where I almost always get my console games, usually 4 or 5 months after they've released, often for half or less than half the launch price.

I'm sympathetic to the plight of developers and publishers, but the industry needs to figure out a way to deal with it other than just locking out used games. That's an overtly shrewd and callous move that looks like nothing but a moneygrab. The used games market has been around for a long time. I grew up with it. Lots of other people grew up with it. For people like me who grew up poor, it was the only way to really get to game that much. People who are buying and selling their legally purchased games to each other aren't doing anything wrong, even if it has a negative impact on industry profits.

They need to find a more creative, less brutal way to transition to a different model. Doing this just makes them look like Lars Ulrich to me.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The fact that I could not borrow or rent a game from a friend when I can on the PS4 is more than enough of a reason to not buy the next Xbox. Also I don't like the idea of having an always on Kinect. I also don't like the idea of being spied on in my own home.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Since I've bought 95% of my games new and I hardly trade I don't see this affecting me in a negative way. Ebay is my place to go for cheap new games anyway that still beats the used prices of retailers.

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that would make me forgive it is extremely aggressive steam-like pricing. But at that point why not just build a PC for steam? Basically, they would have to shake everything up. But if they kept the current console software model and just added this unwanted restriction on top of it? Never.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8246/istockphoto2203624armsc.jpg

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

why would anyone vote no. please. make a stand against this .

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By NickL

Games drop in price so quick on amazon that used games are hardly worth it anyways...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I rent a lot of the games I play and I sell some sometimes, too. I'm also not averse to buying the occasional used game, especially when it's near impossible to find a new copy.

Even if I did none of those things, I wouldn't get it out of principle.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I'd prefer if they didn't block them out, but it's not enough to stop me from buying it if it is otherwise a good console. I just don't buy enough used games for it to be a problem for me. I've bought maybe two in the last generation and that was only because I couldn't find new copies locally.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By myke_tuna

@mrfluke said:

if they block used games then im not buying it, just cause there are games to me that are only worth a rent, and there are games id like to loan my friends.

I don't think I'm going to buy one anyway, but if I ever had to choose between PS4 and the new Xbox, this would be the reason I'd get a PS4.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kpaadet

No, I wouldnt buy it, even though I probably have not bought a used game in 8 years. But I'm not going to support a dick business move like that. Also if I want to borrow a game from a friend or vice versa I should be allowed, if digital like Steam I don't mind as much.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

No, I mostly play PC games nowadays anyway, so it's not like it would be any different.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By theveej

The only real issue for me is lending/burrowing games to and from friends. Other than that I have no issue with it.

Way more important than any of this is having a flexible online store akin to steam. As long as games get discounted on regular and go on sales during specific periods, I really do not see the need for used games. PC gamers have been just fine with how steam has handled PC game sales and no one ever complains about not being able to buy used games or not being able to borrow them for PC games. And to be honest having a flexible online store and no used games is probably better for the industry too, that way games like Enslaved and DmC won't get destroyed financially in the used market and at least the company can recoup some money from discounting them online for the same price people would pay for a used game. This, if done properly, keeps developers and publishers in business and actually allows users to own their own games and not trade them away for almost nothing.

If the recent Xbox Live game sale is any indication, they are certainly going in that direction.

I could see them having an activation fee (say ranging 10 to 5 bucks for varying period) if you want to play your game on another console without using your profile. I think that might be reasonable, kind of like a rental fee. I understand why people want used games for financial reasons, but I really, really can not see the need for that if we have flexible online services (lending/burrowing games is another issue though)

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used books, used CDs, used DVDs. No other media gets away with the idea to pull some shit like this, but somehow game publishers, who make money on the scale of large movie studios, can scream bloody murder over used game sales, and it gets traction.

I will not buy a game console that blocks used games, not because I buy a lot of used games, I don't, but because I do loan games to friends and take games over to friend's houses to play and encounter a myriad of other situations where I would want/need to play a game on a console that's not my own.

I don't get the sympathy for this, used sales are nothing new, and by blocking it, you open up the door for even more trash in landfills in the form of game discs, cases, etc.

If your business model doesn't support the used sales of the product you sell, maybe it's time to change your business model.

Also, I wasn't super hot to buy the next XBox anyway, so something like this isn't going to edge me any closer to jumping on that wagon.

QFT

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in general i'll probably still buy it if it doesn't let you play used games. i think that it would be a dick move to do that. there are a few people who buy used games just because it's cheaper. sometimes older games for consoles are harder to find. the only way to find those are from used games.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By John1912

I dont usually buy used games, but I sell my games to Gamestop so it will still impact me. Ive always preferred the most powerful console so it was easy to go with Xbox. Esp since Sony always put complete shit hardware into their consoles. IE Cell split memory pools in PS3, vector units, and a 4 meg GPU in the PS2. They finally went with main line PC hardware and did everything right so I actually have nothing to complain about! If the PS4 ends up having better hardware, plays used games (Xbox will never not play used games) I might go with PS4 as my main system this time.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really only buy new games.. So tbh this wouldn't affect me at all, this said i can see if it doesn't it would have a massive affect on the console sales.. A lot of people do buy used games and no new games. As if the poll is 50/50.. Damn!

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't if that were the case. We of course don't know much about the next xbox but I feel confident that it won't offer anything remarkably different from the PS4 that interests me. It's all about the games and Microsoft has only ever had one first party game I've cared about (Halo).

So if the PS4 does play used games (which it would seem to?) then there is no reason for me to get an xbox over a PS4 because it limits my options. Now, I don't buy used often at all and with the more recent push to digital versions that go alongside retail copies of a good amount of games I can see the argument of low retail runs or hard to find out of print copies going away but it still leaves me with a problem: not being able to borrow or lend games. I don't know how you and your friends handle it but convincing a friend to go out and buy a brand new game that they are not totally interested in is kind of hard. Being able to lend them games is a very easy way to introduce them to something I like and then see if they like it too. I wonder if I'd have to lend out consoles in order to let my friends play my games... that isn't going to happen.

I'm sure nothing will come of these rumours though. Microsoft can't be that stupid, right?

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

In short no. To be honest I want to mainly purchase my games digitally this next generation so the lack of used games doesn't bother me per se. That being said Microsoft needs to steup up their game big time in the online store to really keep me interested. Games need to be easier to find and buy. No more points and allow the indies some real breathing room. Im willing to spend $1-$5 on my iPhone, I will gladly spend as much on an indie game for two hours of entertainment.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because I always buy my games brand new anyway. BUT! I think it would be a terrible call on their part, considering Sony seems to be ok with used games being played on the PS4. I don't want to make crazy predictions, but that would probably cement their defeat in the next-gen "console war".

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No, the always-online is way more important to me.

I'd welcome "CD keys". There would be no reason to check whether the disk is in the drive or not. It's a win/win for someone who buys new,doesn't have the fastest internet, and wants to install games onto their HD(next xbox games will presumably be Blu-ray).

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By chrissedoff

I haven't bought a used game since 2009 and I've never sold any of my games so this isn't something that affects me all that much. However, it makes sense that people who buy used games, borrow, lend and trade games would rather continue to have the ability to do that instead of let Microsoft tell them they can't. What I wonder, though, is if this rumor is true, what would Microsoft offer alongside DRM in order to mitigate the issues it would cause. I don't think Microsoft is anywhere near as deaf to consumer demands and habits as Sony was back in 2005/2006, so there would have to be something good there to counter-balance the bad.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that wouldn't be enough on its own. I don't really buy used games very often, so it's doesn't bother me all that much. On the other hand, requiring an "always on" connection? Absolute deal breaker.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

These days it won't stop me personally, but I have the money. If the price drops don't happen in an orderly fashion and there aren't smoking hot titles I sure will be buying less games though. Buying a plethora of games to try out based on an ad to find out they aren't worth the shipping you paid for them is something I will not do. That'd be the worst part, being stuck with shit you hated and supporting people who release low effort talentless crap. Maybe 2 games a year for me are actually worth a full $60. Borderlands 2 was the only one I can remember from last year.

For the rest of the market there are a lot of people who buy a lot of used games and really budget their shit, hell a lot of people stick to 1 console for $$ reasons. Unless these new "new" games only are awesome and force consumers to buy them it will take a long time for people to get over it. Also don't forget most people don't care about games nearly as much as some of you addicts. I'm posting here but haven't even played a game in over 2-3 months, what's that say for joe schmo?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll is telling me that Microsoft would be making a mistake if they tied games to accounts.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said no but its really a maybe, I always buy new but i think its anti-consumer to do such a thing because its always nice to lend a game to a friend who may not be a big gamer. Microsoft would have to hit harder in showing its a great system. If not then i can pass or wait and see until it drops in price or something.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Nope, but it would certainly be a big hit against it. I don't buy games used all that often, but some times there's an older game or a game that's hard to find and the only option you have is to get a used copy. The things that will keep me from buying one are them keeping with holding online play hostage behind a paywall, if this rumor about needing an always online connection are true, and if they just make it a dumping ground for ports like the 360 is and have zero exclusives worth playing.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Yes because I switched from Xbox years ago and this is just even stupider than other choices they have made. I usually buy my games new but so often I pick up a used one off amazon, if I had to buy everything new I would just use Steam full time cause of the sweet deals

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No. I'll get it eventually.

That said, I like to wait 2 years into the console cycle before jumping on board, to complete all the shit I never got around to. Then I get in for cheaper when the landscape's less completely crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While that would be incredibly idiotic for them to do, it wouldn't affect me negatively, so I voted no.

Snowgoons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Snowgoons

Honestly I buy new games 99% of the time anyways. You don't even have to rent or try something to know it's an instant buy in this YouTube age we live in. However, it would be nice to not pay full price for every game without an online pass.

The real discussion should be why/how people treat their games so horribly. Every single time I buy a used game it's either covered in disgusting gamestop sticker gunk, or someones like bent the manual in half and the cover art has a bite mark in it. Seriously I dunno wtf people do with their games, it's always a hit or miss buying used because I guess not everyone is like me and puts things neatly back on a shelf?

:P

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Yes because consumers rights, etc.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Used books, used CDs, used DVDs. No other media gets away with the idea to pull some shit like this, but somehow game publishers, who make money on the scale of large movie studios, can scream bloody murder over used game sales, and it gets traction.

I will not buy a game console that blocks used games, not because I buy a lot of used games, I don't, but because I do loan games to friends and take games over to friend's houses to play and encounter a myriad of other situations where I would want/need to play a game on a console that's not my own.

I don't get the sympathy for this, used sales are nothing new, and by blocking it, you open up the door for even more trash in landfills in the form of game discs, cases, etc.

If your business model doesn't support the used sales of the product you sell, maybe it's time to change your business model.

Also, I wasn't super hot to buy the next XBox anyway, so something like this isn't going to edge me any closer to jumping on that wagon.

This too.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buying a new console for me depends on the features and software that are available for it. While I think it is totally mad to block the use of used games, it would not be a deal breaker for me. I understand it is for a lot of people and I think it would be a huge disservice to the Xbox brand if they were to pull something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes no I don't know. I don't buy many used games but when I do it's usually because (A) I'm not sure how I'll feel about the game and want to get it as cheap as possible or (B) the game can't really be found new in stores anymore. Understandably I could order online, but I really don't want to do this for every game. Shipping and whatever.

I also have friends that I let borrow my games. Not that I would mind them giving up their free loading antics but you know, I like borrowing stuff too.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By MetalBaofu

I have Gamefly and rent a vast majority of games that I play. Remove my ability to do that, and I become WAY less interested in owning the console.

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By rentacop

Yes as long as Sony doesn't follow them. Even though I don't buy many used games, I do trade in a lot of older ones if I didn't like it or an amazing trade-in offer pops up. If nothing else, having the option gives me a little insurance when purchasing new games close to release.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know all of you have raised a lot of good points. I hadn't even really considered any ramifications of this business model besides hurting used game sales. But really, as @MetalBaofu mentioned Gamefly would no longer work as it is currently. Game rentals would have to fundamentally change. And you couldn't borrow games. Plus if PS4 doesn't have this business model why would Gamefly or game rental companies change for one console (if they even could change). Plus, though I know Steam has sales constantly, without used games around there would be one less thing that would force new game prices to drop.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If "used games" includes "rented games" then yes, that would stop me from buying it. I've rented hundreds of games over the life on my 360, and only purchased a few dozen. If the PS4 lets me rent games and the new Xbox doesn't, I know what I'll be buying, no matter the price difference between them. If neither of them let me rent games, well I'll just use that money I've put aside for them and upgrade my computer a bit further, and earlier then I had planned.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By AiurFlux

I refuse to buy it if it blocks used games. I don't buy used games particularly often, unless it's an incredibly rare game that they don't make anymore, but it's just a shitty business choice to block used. All it does is hurt consumers in the end. The idea that you can sell a car, house, any piece of furniture, DVD's, CD's, or a fucking toaster but you can't sell a used game because it's this unspeakable act is absolutely moronic and absurd. And the excuse that they want to and need to make money is the most half-assed piece of shit argument I've ever heard too. So do human traffickers and drug mules, doesn't make it okay or fine.

If people buy something they reserve the right to decide what they want to do with it. Be that sell it to somebody else, lend it out, or take it out back and put 1000 rounds into it. To developers and publishers I say that it's an open market and they should fucking deal with it. Either innovate with the services you're offering, produce a better product that isn't shoveled out iteration after iteration, or improve the pricing to the point where it makes sense to buy new. Otherwise. Fuck. Off. Stop treating legitimate adopters of the crap you're peddling as thieves and stop trying to make a big issue out of nothing. You're making record amounts of money on game sales and still finding (bullshit) ways to make extra money with DLC and microtransactions. Get the fucking hands out of the cookie jar you pile of greedy whores.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If "used games" includes "rented games" then yes, that would stop me from buying it. I've rented hundreds of games over the life on my 360, and only purchased a few dozen. If the PS4 lets me rent games and the new Xbox doesn't, I know what I'll be buying, no matter the price difference between them. If neither of them let me rent games, well I'll just use that money I've put aside for them and upgrade my computer a bit further, and earlier then I had planned.

Well, the PS4 is already confirmed to play used games. Here's an excerpt from a Forbes article;

"Gamestop and legions of concerned gamers can breathe easy, for now. Despite widespread concern that the Playstation 4 would contain technology designed to block used games, Sony confirms that this isn’t the case.

Eurogamer’s Tom Bramwell caught up with Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida following last night’s announcement and had, from the transcript, a very weird interview. After some back and forth, Yoshida put the question to bed with this:

“So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?”"

Source

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#95 riostarwind  Moderator

I don't mind if they block used games since I haven't bought a used game since the ps2. Seems like a bad way to start off a console cycle though.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with no, not being able to play used games would suck but I tend to buy games on sale more often than used ones anyway. But this would be a huge knock against the system and push me further into the not buying it territory, so if they do do this everything else better be perfect, which is unlikely.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These threads need to die.

I'm sick of the next Xbox already.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad said:

Why did you come in here then?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mrfluke

@jasonr86 said:

@unilad said:

Why did you come in here then?

cause this

No Caption Provided

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I don't buy used games.

But I think it would be a gigantic mistake to do it if the PS4 doesn't.