• 51 results
ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ItsPozer

Well i had 3 xbox die on me and was very upset but then today my ps3 went and im just done with it. Really wanted to play ff13 but i guess ill just get back on warcraft and play some more FPS RTS on my PC.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By diz

Have you never had a PC break on you?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner
diz said:
"Have you never had a PC break on you?"
Stupid question is stupid. Of course he has, everyone has but at least computers are repairable by the user, open up an xbox or ps3 and you void the warranty and even then consoles are so different from a PC that you are unlikely to actually fix it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Gunner said:
"diz said:
Stupid question is stupid. Of course he has, everyone has but at least computers are repairable by the user, open up an xbox or ps3 and you void the warranty and even then consoles are so different from a PC that you are unlikely to actually fix it."
and computers are repairable to the user if they know what they are doing nearly all centralized computer makers *dell, hp...ect* the warrenty is void if you put components in the system that weren't originally there atleast if you keep those components in the system, And some computers WILL just fail completely no return, no proceed to go no easy fix by the user.

PC gaming is not the end all be all thing its as messy, faulty and problematic as console gaming.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gunner
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:
Stupid question is stupid. Of course he has, everyone has but at least computers are repairable by the user, open up an xbox or ps3 and you void the warranty and even then consoles are so different from a PC that you are unlikely to actually fix it."
and computers are repairable to the user if they know what they are doing nearly all centralized computer makers *dell, hp...ect* the warrenty is void if you put components in the system that weren't originally there atleast if you keep those components in the system, And some computers WILL just fail completely no return, no proceed to go no easy fix by the user.

PC gaming is not the end all be all thing its as messy, faulty and problematic as console gaming.
"
And the only people who buy computers from dell, hp exc. are console gamers, any real PC gamer builds his own computer, not exactly rocket science.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By diz
Gunner said:
"diz said:
PCs are not repairable by most users. That's why so many PC repairers exist!

Consoles are easier and cheaper to replace and continue gaming from where you left off. PC faults may entail game re-instaills, driver updates and hardware conflicts.

I think I made a genuine contribution to this thread, Gunner. If you care to be so demeaning to other posters, that rather makes you out to be the cunt.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

Bad luck.

Da_Muffin_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Da_Muffin_Man

Well said Diz

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_
diz said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:
PCs are not reparable by most users. Thatt's why so many PC repairers exist!

Consoles are easier and cheaper to replace and continue gaming from where you left off. PC faults may entail game re-instaills, driver updates and hardware conflicts.

I think I had a genuine contribution to this thread Gunner. If you care to be so demeaning to other posters, that rather makes you out to be the cunt.
"
His point is that any real PC gamer will know how to fix his PC, and the relative frustration that could possibly be caused by performing the repairs (if any occurs) is preferable to paying other people money to fix a product that should not break at all in the first place. Consoles are easier to replace, although not at all cheaper in most situations. Gunner, though he didn't need to invoke a retarded 4chan meme in his first sentence, has a legitimate point.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Shadow

I don't have a good PC, but to get one top of the line with everything I need to play the newest PC games, I would have to spend the same amount of money I spent the entire last year on games as a whole, and that includes the cost of a new PS3  (just over $2,000 total including tax).  I think I'll be sticking with consoles.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gunner
diz said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:
PCs are not repairable by most users. That's why so many PC repairers exist!

I think I made a genuine contribution to this thread, Gunner. If you care to be so demeaning to other posters, that rather makes you out to be the cunt.
"
Hey now i never called you any names or demeaned you personally, just your question. Like jayge pointed out, im just saying that making your own repairs and knowing the problems on your PC so you can prevent them in the future is much more efficient than having to send in a console every 3 weeks because of a little malfunction that costs the company a total of 5 dollars to fix, then later charging you 30. No need for name calling here.
ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ItsPozer
Shadow said:
"I don't have a good PC, but to get one top of the line with everything I need to play the newest PC games, I would have to spend the same amount of money I spent the entire last year on games as a whole, and that includes the cost of a new PS3  (just over $2,000 total including tax).  I think I'll be sticking with consoles."
Not at all you can build a good gaming PC for around 900$ and you get and over all better product.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
Shadow said:
"I don't have a good PC, but to get one top of the line with everything I need to play the newest PC games, I would have to spend the same amount of money I spent the entire last year on games as a whole, and that includes the cost of a new PS3  (just over $2,000 total including tax).  I think I'll be sticking with consoles."
Why does this ignorance pop up in every single PC-related thread? You could build a PC, right now, that would play every single game currently on the market with medium or high settings, for less than $850 (at most). Would it be top of the line? Water-cooled? Would the tower suck your dick for you and tell you how awesome you are? Could it predict when your mother-in-law would be dying? No; but it would function incredibly well and still work as an excellent machine for all manner of other applications. It's been years of this stupid, stale, retarded argument. PC gaming is not more "expensive" than console gaming, especially taking into account the cost of online services, increased game prices, controllers and other peripherals, and the inevitable maintenance that pops up with all of them, requiring first-party paid repair centers.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By diz
Jayge said:
His point is that any real PC gamer will know how to fix his PC, and the relative frustration that could possibly be caused by performing the repairs (if any occurs) is preferable to paying other people money to fix a product that should not break at all in the first place. Consoles are easier to replace, although not at all cheaper in most situations. Gunner, though he didn't need to invoke a retarded 4chan meme in his first sentence, has a legitimate point."
My last PC repair cost me far more than a PS3. I had to fix my friends PC over xmas - new motherboard meant new RAM too. All in all, the parts alone cost more than a 360. Many PC reparis inevitably involve upgrading ancilliary compnents. Also, PCs include a user configurable OS that often needs re-activating - these overheads do not exist for consoles.

I also disagree that being a gamer automatically turns you into a hardware expert.

For RoD, the fix ix free ( I should know, as the author of www.ringofdeath.co.uk)
ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ItsPozer
diz said:
For RoD, the fix ix free ( I should know, as the author of www.ringofdeath.co.uk)"
Or you know because you did it over 3 time because all they do is die
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gunner
diz said:
"Jayge said:
His point is that any real PC gamer will know how to fix his PC, and the relative frustration that could possibly be caused by performing the repairs (if any occurs) is preferable to paying other people money to fix a product that should not break at all in the first place. Consoles are easier to replace, although not at all cheaper in most situations. Gunner, though he didn't need to invoke a retarded 4chan meme in his first sentence, has a legitimate point."
My last PC repair cost me far more than a PS3. I had to fix my friends PC over xmas - new motherboard meant new RAM too. All in all, the parts alone cost more than a 360. Many PC reparis inevitably involve upgrading ancilliary compnents. Also, PCs include a user configurable OS that often needs re-activating - these overheads do not exist for consoles.

I also disagree that being a gamer automatically turns you into a hardware expert.

For RoD, the fix ix free ( I should know, as the author of www.ringofdeath.co.uk)"
And if you knew how to fix the problem yourself and knew exactly what you needed to get ahead of time i promise you that you would have spent half that for self repairs. since when did learning about things you use every day become a hassle and problem?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
diz said:
"

The fix is free for a while. There are many people who have ran through warranties 3 times over getting their 360s repaired. No shortage of users here (or even GB staff) will attest to that. I never said being a gamer would turn you into a hardware expert. I asserted that anyone serious about PC gaming should be building and maintaining their own PCs. As for your own personal situation, I'm not really sure how to reply to that. I've never had to spend more than $150 total repairing a PC, and that was in a seriously bad situation. That could be bad luck on your part, or good luck on my part. At this point, you're arguing for convenience over frugality. That's your prerogative. It doesn't make that opinion fact. I still invariably hold that maintaining any normal PC is much cheaper (although maybe not easier) than maintaining consoles that break on you. If you would choose the less challenging route simply because it's easier, that's your prerogative, although I would say that willful ignorance of your system's components is much more expensive than the other options.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadow
Jayge said:
"Shadow said:
Why does this ignorance pop up in every single PC-related thread? You could build a PC, right now, that would play every single game currently on the market with medium or high settings, for less than $850 (at most). Would it be top of the line? Water-cooled? Would the tower suck your dick for you and tell you how awesome you are? Could it predict when your mother-in-law would be dying? No; but it would function incredibly well and still work as an excellent machine for all manner of other applications. It's been years of this stupid, stale, retarded argument. PC gaming is not more "expensive" than console gaming, especially taking into account the cost of online services, increased game prices, controllers and other peripherals, and the inevitable maintenance that pops up with all of them, requiring first-party paid repair centers."

Maybe...but for someone like me who is completely bewildered with hardware, that's a tricky prospect.  I'd imagine to do it for that price, you would need specific equipment, along with the knowledge of how to set it up in the exact right way.  Besides, the games coming out on the PC these days just don't appeal to me at all.  I don't like the RTS genre in general and the whole mouse + keyboard control setup has always been clunky and unintuitive.  The mouse part is good, that makes aiming extremely accurate, but the keyboard just causes way too many issues.  I guess the main reason I don't understand this guy's decision is...what's coming out on the PC anytime soon?  Maybe Starcraft in a year or two, but not much else.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DARKIDO07
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:

"
Yep, one of my friends in my HTML class who is building a new computer got a quad core processor and motherboard that came dead on arival. You really can't fix a busted mobo unless you really, and I mean really, know what your doing. Hell, my computer just crashes out of the blue every couple of odd months. If anything your PC is more likely to run into problems gaming than consoles. Atleast with a console you never have to worry about troubleshooting why your game won't install. ;).
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By TheJollyRajah

You have a funny name.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Lunarbunny
Shadow said:
"Maybe...but for someone like me who is completely bewildered with hardware, that's a tricky prospect.  I'd imagine to do it for that price, you would need specific equipment, along with the knowledge of how to set it up in the exact right way.  Besides, the games coming out on the PC these days just don't appeal to me at all.  I don't like the RTS genre in general and the whole mouse + keyboard control setup has always been clunky and unintuitive.  The mouse part is good, that makes aiming extremely accurate, but the keyboard just causes way too many issues.  I guess the main reason I don't understand this guy's decision is...what's coming out on the PC anytime soon?  Maybe Starcraft in a year or two, but not much else."
I don't get why you're so gummed up on exclusives. A lot of multiplatform games include the PC, and popular 360 exclusives typically show up on the PC sometime later. Are they terrible console ports? Sometimes. Other times you get just as good of an experience if not better.

EDIT: @DARKIDO07
Dead on arrival? Ever hear of an RMA?
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gunner
DARKIDO07 said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:

"
Yep, one of my friends in my HTML class who is building a new computer got a quad core processor and motherboard that came dead on arival. You really can't fix a busted mobo unless you really, and I mean really, know what your doing. Hell, my computer just crashes out of the blue every couple of odd months. If anything your PC is more likely to run into problems gaming than consoles. Atleast with a console you never have to worry about troubleshooting why your game won't install. ;)."
And when you do get a doa, you just send it in and get another one for free. And the reason you dont have to worry about troubleshooting on a console is because you send it in having to pay for the repairs (if its not a rrod). Troubleshooting shouldnt have to be a tedious and hard thing to do, spend a couple of hours on the internet researching how to fix a problem and i guarentee youll have a solution, like i said maintaining/fixing something you use almost every day shouldnt be a hassle.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoelTGM
Gunner said:
"diz said:
Yeah good point.  My PC breaks all the time, but I can actually open it up and fix it.  With my 360 though, it doesn't have those nit-picky problems, when it breaks it dies and there's no way I'm going to void the warranty just to open it up and find out that I don't know what I'm doing in there.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DARKIDO07
Gunner said:
"DARKIDO07 said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:

"
Yep, one of my friends in my HTML class who is building a new computer got a quad core processor and motherboard that came dead on arival. You really can't fix a busted mobo unless you really, and I mean really, know what your doing. Hell, my computer just crashes out of the blue every couple of odd months. If anything your PC is more likely to run into problems gaming than consoles. Atleast with a console you never have to worry about troubleshooting why your game won't install. ;)."
And when you do get a doa, you just send it in and get another one for free. And the reason you dont have to worry about troubleshooting on a console is because you send it in having to pay for the repairs (if its not a rrod). Troubleshooting shouldnt have to be a tedious and hard thing to do, spend a couple of hours on the internet researching how to fix a problem and i guarentee youll have a solution, like i said maintaining/fixing something you use almost every day shouldnt be a hassle."
See the problem with the DOA part though is Newegg was out of stock so they just refund his money. I wasn't talking about troubleshooting in general, I was talking about troubleshooting installing games, with console games (save for some on the PS3) you can put the disk in the tray and play instantly, with computers you have to install it and I've had my far share of errors trying to install games. Fact is shit breaks.
vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#25  Edited By vigorousjammer

I agree with Darkid.  PCs, in my experience, have had a lot more problems and lot more often than any console I've ever used.  I do like Mouse and Keyboard for most games, and since you can hook up a 360 controller to the PC that solves the problem of platforming games.  But it's just too prone to failure for me.
I like the convenience that comes with owning a console, it may break every year or two, and then you send it in, and they fix it and send it back.

I mean, I don't get where everybody is getting this $30 price tag from, but every time I've sent in my 360, they've fixed it for free.
and when I get it back, I plug in my 360's HDD and I can pick up my game where I left off.
with my computer, I could get a virus, need to re-format, and lose all of my saved games.  Not to mention that probobly happens once every couple of months.

PC's just seem to be a hassle to keep up and running, and you're constantly in need of upgrading your rig.
Let's do a quick price comparison:

Let's say you buy some stuff to build a PC back in 2005. for the Bare Bones, a 200gig HDD, a good video card with 256 onboard RAM, 1 gig of RAM, a good motherboard that can support up to 2 gigs of RAM, and a 3gightz processor, it'll cost you, say $500 bucks.
Now, the 360, at launch cost $400 bucks, and came with a 20gig HDD, and a headset for online gaming.  However, for that online gaming, you would have to buy a $60 12-month card for xbox live. Altogether, costing you about $460 bucks.

Now, a year goes by, it's 2006, your 360 broke, so you send it in.  Microsoft has extended thier warrenty, so they fix it for free and send it back to you. You re-up for another year of xbox live, spending another $60. Alltogether price, $520.
For your PC, you're starting to see more and more games with higher requirements, your processer is still fine, and so is your RAM, but you feel you need a better video card, so you buy a new video card for say, $80 bucks. Altogether Price, $580 bucks.

Another year goes by, it's 2007, Your PC is starting to run many new games slowly, Your processor still seems to be doing fine, but you need more ram, since your motherboard only has 2 slots of ram, and they're both filled with some 512mb sticks, you buy 2 1gig sticks, costing you about $70 bucks.  Altgether Price, $650.
Your 360 is being weird, and you send it in, they fix it for free, since microsoft extended thier warrenty again, and they send it back to you, you re-up for another year of xbox live for $60. Altogether Price, $580.

Another year passes by, it's 2008, your PC seems to do okay on medium settings, but you want it to do better, so you spend some money for a new motherboard that can support up to 4gigs of RAM, and has 4 slots for around $80, you make sure the new motherboard still supports your old RAM, and then you buy 2 more sticks of 1gig ram, which is a little cheaper now at $60, alltogether price, $790.
Your 360 has stopped breaking and you're content with how it runs, you re-up for another year of xbox live, spending another $60, however, your HDD is pretty much full by now, and you want another one, microsfot has released a 60gig HDD and you buy it off of ebay for $85 bucks. alltogether price $725.

So, overall, the 360 doesn't have as many problems, requires you to worry less about it, and is overall, in my opinion, a lot more stable than your average PC.
of course, this is all just average pricing I came up with off the top of my head, shopping around for memory motherboards and stuff a while ago, so i'm not sure exactly how accurate these prices are.
but it does seem PC gaming isj ust a little more expensive.
of course, I didn't include the cost of games.  if you buy all of your PC games legit then it'll cost pretty much the same amount as if you bought all of your 360 games legit.
of course, there's a lot of pirating when it comes to PC gaming, and in that regard, it would be cheaper... but, what's illegal and more expensive?

I guess gambling, but thats a different topic.
I dunno, this is just one man's opinion, take it for what you will.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_

You added in an unnecessary PC upgrade, didn't add in the fact that Microsoft only replaces a RRoD 360 once before giving you a much shorter warranty, and charges you upwards of $100 for things like E74 or Disk Drive errors, which are not covered by that warranty. Your numbers are wrong.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Thrawn1
Jayge said:
"You added in an unnecessary PC upgrade, didn't add in the fact that Microsoft only replaces a RRoD 360 once before giving you a much shorter warranty, and charges you upwards of $100 for things like E74 or Disk Drive errors, which are not covered by that warranty. Your numbers are wrong."
that's where the "towel trick" comes in
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayge_
Thrawn said:
"Jayge said:
"You added in an unnecessary PC upgrade, didn't add in the fact that Microsoft only replaces a RRoD 360 once before giving you a much shorter warranty, and charges you upwards of $100 for things like E74 or Disk Drive errors, which are not covered by that warranty. Your numbers are wrong."
that's where the "towel trick" comes in"
It also doesn't take into account the fact that for every 5 360 games you buy, you can buy 6 PC games. Averaging 5 games a year (15 games) means you'll spend $900 on games for that, versus $750 for the PC. That's an extra $250 saved. He also didn't mention the cost of purchasing a TV. Leaving in his optional final upgrade with the new mobo and new RAM, we have $1,540 for the PC and $1,625 for the 360. Add a cheap 26" SDTV on to that, and you already have an extra 200 or so. Add an HDTV on to that (originally) or an HDTV upgrade onto that (in 07/08) then you're already busting $2,000. So... yeah.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gargantuan

He also forgot that PC games are very often 200-300 sek (24.45-36.68 usd) cheaper, atleast in Sweden.
10 New PC games per year for 399 sek each. (sometimes costs 499) 3990sek=488,97usd
10 New Console games per year for 599 sek each. (sometimes costs 699) 5990sek=733,52

You can sometimes find games cheaper though. I bought Halo 3 on the day it was released and it only costed 399 on Elgiganten while I think GAME was selling it for 699! :D

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_
Gargantuan said:
"He also forgot that PC games are very often 200-300 sek (24.45-36.68 usd) cheaper, atleast in Sweden.
10 New PC games per year for 399 sek each. (sometimes costs 499) 3990sek=488,97usd
10 New Console games per year for 599 sek each. (sometimes costs 699) 5990sek=733,52

You can sometimes find games cheaper though. I bought Halo 3 on the day it was released and it only costed 399 on Elgiganten while I think GAME was selling it for 699! :D
"
You have an amazing avatar. Also, I now know that Swedish currency is known as the "sek". Thank you.

But damn, that's a serious price difference up there. Around here it's only a 10 US Dollar discrepancy every time.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK

mmmm

convenience

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gargantuan
Jayge said:
"Gargantuan said:
"He also forgot that PC games are very often 200-300 sek (24.45-36.68 usd) cheaper, atleast in Sweden.

"
You have an amazing avatar. Also, I now know that Swedish currency is known as the "sek". Thank you.

But damn, that's a serious price difference up there. Around here it's only a 10 US Dollar discrepancy every time."
Haha!
Damn, Sweden's prices aren't relevant in the US!  XD

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lieutenant
Gunner said:
"diz said:
Not really repairable, more like you can open it up to put in a new component you just bought. Which most of the time would cost more than to just ship your console off to Sony and MS to have them repair it.
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Maru

Guys.. you don't have to upgrade your PC every 6 month... that's just stupid.. also basically all of PC parts have some kind of warranty on them...and they don't break easily unless you abuse the hell out of it (insane overclocking, dropping it on concrete floor). 

The main reason I stayed away from 360 and moved on to PC was the RROD issue.. I used to be a console only gamer... and when I replayed Half-life 2 on PC... I was blown away compared to the xbox version.

Oh.. and how is it so hard to maintain your PC ??  Virus, spyware check,  defrag hard drive  every two weeks, and use common sense when surfing net..

Hard to install games ??  Put the game disc in .. let it run while surfing the net.. checking the email etc.. install the patch then your done.  Ofcourse there are some games that will give you some headache,  but most of the time it works fine.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive

damn dude. a ps3 died on you? thats gotta be THE WORST! because its so rare. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By oldschool

I have an iMac.  It never breaks.

It plays pretty much all of the current games, so I am happy.  It isn't a gaming machine though.  Its primary function is a computer.  The games are a bonus.  I am part of the large group who could not fix a computer, part of the reason I chose Mac.  The thought of upgrading all the time just doesn't interest me and I can expect about 5 years of good life from the iMac before I simply buy a new one.

PC gaming will never replace consoles and consoles can never replace PCs.  You need both.

Sucks to have both machines die though.  That is really bad luck, well on the PS3 it is, the 360 is inevitable.  Whatever replaces the 360 better have BC to keep playing all the 360 games, because sure as hell, I won't be playing a 360 in near 20 years time like I still play my SNES.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pause422

Yea I'm just not getting how some people come up with the numbers they do comparing PC against consoles, it seems some people just want to believe themselves that they are right even when they should know better. It's been I don't know how many years of the constant "playing games on PC is soo much more expensive than console" shit, and its just not true. If you want to be naive, and just compare the PC itself to only the price of a console, I guess you're going somewhere, but its pointless to not compare all the addition things that you need.

Its not hard at all to maintain your PC well and if any problems occur, to find a quick fix for them. Of course other problems could occur, they can anywhere for any piece of technology, but just in general it isn't a task at all. I think its just exclusive console gamers who would get a PC believing all that price difference bullshit about, on top of never pay a single bit of attention to it besides using it when they want to and not do the most basic things to maintain it, that get all up in arms and surprised when something ends up happening. Then rant about it on the internet about how superior consoles are. Its actually pretty simple for the people that want to be honest with themselves and do a true price comparison of the two that anyone that thinks its more expensive, harder to maintain, causes more problems, etc. is just plain wrong.

Lastly, as far as no games being on the platform, its just nonsense. Plenty of FPS that are multiplatform most people prefer on PC, or the fact that steam is just amazing and and has a very good library of games on it. Of course indie games, and plenty of smaller projects that just aren't anywhere else except PC, there are definitely some games that would surprise you that you wouldn't find anywhere else. Plus modding....there's really no less games on PC than anywhere else. besides the few exclusives you want to talk about. I also know quite a few people that like RTS games a lot(if you don't this means nothing to you but if so) and they've only played them on a console, and only a few so far have been really built with that in mind, and they are still just far inferior to playing one on a PC(no that isn't some PC elitism, its just the truth for that genre especially.) Anyway that's all I have to say about that.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Osaladin

I would go back to PC gaming, but damn it, it's just too expensive to stay up to date with the technology. As a college student, my 360 gives me all the gaming I need. I wish I had more time and money to spend on gaming, because some titles I have on 360 I would obviously rather play on a PC. I'd also get a PS3, but I have to be content with a psp for sony only titles.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Black_Raven
Vigorousjammer said:
"I agree with Darkid.  PCs, in my experience, have had a lot more problems and lot more often than any console I've ever used.  I do like Mouse and Keyboard for most games, and since you can hook up a 360 controller to the PC that solves the problem of platforming games.  But it's just too prone to failure for me.
I like the convenience that comes with owning a console, it may break every year or two, and then you send it in, and they fix it and send it back.

I mean, I don't get where everybody is getting this $30 price tag from, but every time I've sent in my 360, they've fixed it for free.
and when I get it back, I plug in my 360's HDD and I can pick up my game where I left off.
with my computer, I could get a virus, need to re-format, and lose all of my saved games.  Not to mention that probobly happens once every couple of months.

PC's just seem to be a hassle to keep up and running, and you're constantly in need of upgrading your rig.
Let's do a quick price comparison:

Let's say you buy some stuff to build a PC back in 2005. for the Bare Bones, a 200gig HDD, a good video card with 256 onboard RAM, 1 gig of RAM, a good motherboard that can support up to 2 gigs of RAM, and a 3gightz processor, it'll cost you, say $500 bucks.
Now, the 360, at launch cost $400 bucks, and came with a 20gig HDD, and a headset for online gaming.  However, for that online gaming, you would have to buy a $60 12-month card for xbox live. Altogether, costing you about $460 bucks.

Now, a year goes by, it's 2006, your 360 broke, so you send it in.  Microsoft has extended thier warrenty, so they fix it for free and send it back to you. You re-up for another year of xbox live, spending another $60. Alltogether price, $520.
For your PC, you're starting to see more and more games with higher requirements, your processer is still fine, and so is your RAM, but you feel you need a better video card, so you buy a new video card for say, $80 bucks. Altogether Price, $580 bucks.

Another year goes by, it's 2007, Your PC is starting to run many new games slowly, Your processor still seems to be doing fine, but you need more ram, since your motherboard only has 2 slots of ram, and they're both filled with some 512mb sticks, you buy 2 1gig sticks, costing you about $70 bucks.  Altgether Price, $650.
Your 360 is being weird, and you send it in, they fix it for free, since microsoft extended thier warrenty again, and they send it back to you, you re-up for another year of xbox live for $60. Altogether Price, $580.

Another year passes by, it's 2008, your PC seems to do okay on medium settings, but you want it to do better, so you spend some money for a new motherboard that can support up to 4gigs of RAM, and has 4 slots for around $80, you make sure the new motherboard still supports your old RAM, and then you buy 2 more sticks of 1gig ram, which is a little cheaper now at $60, alltogether price, $790.
Your 360 has stopped breaking and you're content with how it runs, you re-up for another year of xbox live, spending another $60, however, your HDD is pretty much full by now, and you want another one, microsfot has released a 60gig HDD and you buy it off of ebay for $85 bucks. alltogether price $725.

So, overall, the 360 doesn't have as many problems, requires you to worry less about it, and is overall, in my opinion, a lot more stable than your average PC.
of course, this is all just average pricing I came up with off the top of my head, shopping around for memory motherboards and stuff a while ago, so i'm not sure exactly how accurate these prices are.
but it does seem PC gaming isj ust a little more expensive.
of course, I didn't include the cost of games.  if you buy all of your PC games legit then it'll cost pretty much the same amount as if you bought all of your 360 games legit.
of course, there's a lot of pirating when it comes to PC gaming, and in that regard, it would be cheaper... but, what's illegal and more expensive?

I guess gambling, but thats a different topic.
I dunno, this is just one man's opinion, take it for what you will."
Lol at you needing to reformat your PC every few months, your comparison is bull shit by the way...
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422

and it continues...

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PureRok

People who have a lot of problems with PCs (OSs in particular) are usually dumb people. They get their system bogged down with spyware, malware, and viruses. Stop being dumb and a PC is a lot better.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By diz
Gunner said:
"diz said:
"Jayge said:

And if you knew how to fix the problem yourself and knew exactly what you needed to get ahead of time i promise you that you would have spent half that for self repairs. since when did learning about things you use every day become a hassle and problem?"
Why did I pay twice as much as you would to repair mine and my friends PCs? Are you saying you can get PC parts cheaper than I, or that I can't repair PCs effectively? Either way, you're being presumptious.
The fact that I have been asked to fix many PC issues reveals that there are many PC issues and not all PC users can address them.

The hassle is in having to learn about something you don't neccessarily want to, when your objective is only to play games. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pause422

Uh no. Yes not all people know the most about PC's and putting them together and getting parts, but that doesn't change the price. Obviously you just looked in the wrong places.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Black_Raven
diz said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:
"Jayge said:

And if you knew how to fix the problem yourself and knew exactly what you needed to get ahead of time i promise you that you would have spent half that for self repairs. since when did learning about things you use every day become a hassle and problem?"
Why did I pay twice as much as you would to repair mine and my friends PCs? Are you saying you can get PC parts cheaper than I, or that I can't repair PCs effectively? Either way, you're being presumptious.
The fact that I have been asked to fix many PC issues reveals that there are many PC issues and not all PC users can address them.

The hassle is in having to learn about something you don't neccessarily want to, when your objective is only to play games. 

"
No ones denying that PCs have the potential to stop working more frequently then consoles, but the majority of the time its not hardware related, or at least not due to faulty hardware. its uncommon for people to go through multiple PCs in a short period of time because of hardware failures, but its not for the 360..

I don't care if people have problems with their PC because they don't  know what the hell their doing, that's their fault. A PCs OS may contain far more options then a console, some which might cause your PC to stop working, but most people don't even know they are there! Anybody can use an operating system like windows without any problems at all.

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't take a genius to use and maintain a PC. console gamers bashing PCs because "They're to complicated" is a lame excuse.

Also when you say your last repairs cost far more than a PS3, do you mean the motherboard and RAM? Because that's just really hard to belive.
HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HiroSeven
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Gunner said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Gunner said:
"diz said:

"
And the only people who buy computers from dell, hp exc. are console gamers, any real PC gamer builds his own computer, not exactly rocket science."
yep and the amount of people that built their own are about 10-20% of total computer users IF that, just like console gaming the casuals control things you have no idea what your talking bout since you think console gamers own prebuilt computers and only prebuilt, there are many hardcore pc gamers that build insane rigs that own consoles too, I used to build my own computers and used to be pretty good at computers when it came to hardware and i knew html and quit a few programs in and out including office, excell, pdf...ect  but they were simply as a hobby i didnt put them to any practical use, and after a while i found console games had reached pc abbilities and i saw no reason to put money into the sink called pc gaming.

The simple fact is if you want to play the best games whenever they are released you have to have the hardware that can do that, and that ususally means a yearly upgrade of atleast your graphics card you buy your self time by splurrging and building the best of the best pc you can but in the end your gonna have to upgrade or get a new pc eventually pc games are nortorious for pushing the specs so hard that atleast once a year you have to do some sort of upgrade, that was the way it was with me i would ususally start out with a pc of medium power and had to update it once or so a year if i had splurrged and went with the top of the line it might be longer per upgrade but its a simple fact this is true you can have these hermits *pc fanboys* come out of the wood work pull out these fancy computers costing them only 600 dollars but watch in a year or less that pc will not be capable of playing the latest game at its highest and half the time they wont ever include an OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor...ect because they believe that all of this is interchangeable though id not wanna use an 10 year old monitor on my brand new pc or the default keyboard and mouse and even on linux its once 4-5 years that the better new distro is released just like windows..

I gave up and started buying prebuilts long ago its cheaper, and easier and i can do what i need to do.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HandsomeDead
Gunner said:
"And the only people who buy computers from dell, hp exc. are console gamers, any real PC gamer builds his own computer, not exactly rocket science."
This sentence alone has put me off PC gaming for at least another 10 years.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hell i remember when half life 2 was released on steam all the problems people had steam activation problems, running the game on their hardware problems people would get the minimum spec system and the game wouldn't even run, some couldn't get to run good on recommend specs because the game was so taxing, people with 6 month old systems couldn't get it to run cause the game was that demanding on systems, Look at crysis when it was released, something like 70% of the computer owning population couldn't play it.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By atejas

Well, you get what you pay for/put effort into. My 360 and PS2 are gathering dust while a catch up on my huge backlog of missed games.

As long as you know how to maintain your rig properly, that is.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maru

Oh.. god I honestly don't know where this argument of yearly upgrade on PC comes from.    If you guys want to waste money on HPs, Dells, and Acers it's your choice :).