• 142 results
ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ElixirBronze

Recently on Jeff's Formspring he addressed the fact that people on this side tend to exploit inside jokes and quickly ruin their initial funny bearing. There should be a list of olds stuff that shouldn't be used again ever, whether it's intended as a joke or otherwise. While I agree that they need to stop, I don't necessarily agree with banning the ones who use them is the ultimate solution, maybe warnings that leads to bans could be a better idea.

Anyways... what comes to mind right now:

• "X for next Endurance run!".
  • "Brad is bad at video games" related stuff..
  • Will Smith cumface images.
  • "Brad's leaving" chat spam.

Let me hear what you want to add/remove. Some of these might still pass even though I personally no longer find any of them funny at all.

EDIT: I feel I need to calrify that this is not a complaint, it's not like I pull my hairs to tears every time I see an old meme. This is just a little eye-opener in which I ask the question "would things be better if this and that changed?".

EDIT2: Here's the brief discussion that went on Jeff's formspring:

http://www.formspring.me/jeffgerstmann/q/295968419897941982

http://www.formspring.me/jeffgerstmann/q/295973534545488299

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait? Brad's leaving?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

How about "all of them"? (Also, those first two aren't really in-jokes or memes.)

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benson

Ryan sat at his desk in the little Sausalito office

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benpack

I hate the meme about Ryan creating the vaccene for polio. We all know that it was Jonas Stak in 1952. Get over it guys it's not funny anymore.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By IBurningStar

I'm kind of over the Brad's leaving joke and would like to see it stop. It just derails conversations and confuses new/casual users.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You want a list of rules about memes on the site? Don't you think you're taking this a little too seriously?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeeGee

I don't care what Jeff or anybody says, I laugh every goddam time I see that "Brad is leaving" meme used.

It's a dick move to ban/warn people doing these things. Where is the line drawn? Only things that the staff find funny can be posted?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

two of those are not memes and/or in-jokes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

Brad's leaving is real dumb and should stop, but are you really gonna bitch about the will smith cumface? It's just one thread, don't read it man.

There are others that are far worse anyhow, NEVER is way too old for example.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

On Jeff's.... what? What's a formspring?

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benson

Ryan stared at Jeff. He didn’t know how to sate his friend’s hunger. They’d have these discussions every day and his friend’s picky eating habits were starting to get on his nerves. He decided that he would have to do something a little more forward in order to get the situation under control.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The dark was soothing and seemingly cooled his warm body. In a calm voice he spoke clearly, “Jeff, if you want something to eat. Eat me.”

“Ha! Dude, no seriously, I’m hungry!” Jeff responded.

With his eyes still closed and breathing slowly Ryan raised his voice slightly, “Jeff I don’t want to hear you talking about food anymore. Just eat me. Just fucking eat me.” He drew a large serrated knife from his desk drawer. The long leather wrapped handle was heavy but the balance of the knife was perfectly centered on its hilt.

“Dude! What are you do…”

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ElixirBronze

@DeeGee said:

I don't care what Jeff or anybody says, I laugh every goddam time I see that "Brad is leaving" meme used.

It's a dick move to ban/warn people doing these things. Where is the line drawn? Only things that the staff find funny can be posted?

No but a vote of some kind might do it, it's kind of why I created this to see what the community thinks is old.

And really you laugh every time you see someone saying "Brad's leaving"? Live shows must be tough for you.

@TobbRobb said:

Brad's leaving is real dumb and should stop, but are you really gonna bitch about the will smith cumface? It's just one thread, don't read it man.

There are others that are far worse anyhow, NEVER is way too old for example.

I'm not bitching about anything, I make suggestions to increase the quality levels of this site. Maybe enough people find the Will face funny still, and that's totally fine. 
The reason I didn't include NEVER is because it's not really an issue anymore afaik.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jay444111

The meme that truly needs to DIE and NEVER come back is the "Anime is for jerks" meme.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CountPickles

I am new to the Brad's leaving thing and find it always funny whenever it is brought up. A running joke works in waves. It'll stop being funny soon and then become funny again. It just takes some hard work and persistence and i'm sure it will be a delight in the future for those who don't find it funny now. I believe in this joke.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Is Brad leaving?

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By B0nd07

Sure, we're pretty good at running memes into the ground (just look at "I'm a wizard..."), but we're not that bad. There are only two that I can think of that need to stop: "Anime is for jerks" and "Brads leaving".

As for Tested, they really need to drop the Will Smith cumface memes (it really is their thing now). The number of them that came out of the CES coverage alone was ridiculous. It's easily at, or beyond, a "Brad's leaving" level of stupidity now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@benson said:

Ryan stared at Jeff. He didn’t know how to sate his friend’s hunger. They’d have these discussions every day and his friend’s picky eating habits were starting to get on his nerves. He decided that he would have to do something a little more forward in order to get the situation under control.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The dark was soothing and seemingly cooled his warm body. In a calm voice he spoke clearly, “Jeff, if you want something to eat. Eat me.”

With his eyes still closed and breathing slowly Ryan raised his voice slightly, “Jeff I don’t want to hear you talking about food anymore. Just eat me. Just fucking eat me.” He drew a large serrated knife from his desk drawer. The long leather wrapped handle was heavy but the balance of the knife was perfectly centered on its hilt.

“Dude! What are you do…”

wat 

@BestUsernameEver said:

Is Brad leaving?

Unfortunately.
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BaneFireLord

Will Smith cumface still has a lot of mileage left in it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By iamjohn

Brad's leaving is the most goddamn unfunny meme ever.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22  Edited By Hizang

I don't know about you guys but I still enjoy those Will Smith Cum Face's..

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten
@Jay444111 said:

The meme that truly needs to DIE and NEVER come back is the "Anime is for jerks" meme.

But that would leave the Jeffinites without anything original to say! They live and breath for what Jeff says so they have something to say! It's the rule of the Church of Gerstmann!! 

Rule #1: If you're too dumb to come up with something to say on your own. Join this church

See, it says so right there! 
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

Dude did you watch that Darkness video? Brad is not very good at video games on camera and I will continue to tease him about it because he's a big boy now and he can take it.

As for Will Smith's cum face, I love that too much to let it die.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#25  Edited By sammo21

I am ready for the people who complain about memes to stop.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By benson

@AhmadMetallic: google "Ryan sat at his desk in the little Sausalito office" to read the best story ever written by the GB community. It's an obscure piece of Whiskey Media history for now, but I feel like it should become the new meme, eclipsing "brad's leaving" and "the cumface" in the process.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

Isn't that kinda the point of half of these MEMES? I mean most MEMEs are stupid and unfunny but thats kind of the point of them if you ask me. And if your getting angry about people using memes you need to take a fucking break from the forums. Roll your eyes and think its dumb but getting angry about it is just plain stupid. As is banning people for it. All the dumb in jokes is part of what I like about the community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bringing up these memes is just asking everyone to post them on your topic dude. Haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Jay444111 said:

I saw an anime thread the other week, it had over 50 posts and not one was "Anime is for jerks" so I think that's dead.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

Of all the stupid memes, I always thought the Brad leaving joke was sort of chuckle-worthy when brought up at the right time in the right context, but not when being driven into the ground everywhere, as will of course occur when you introduce multiple people virtually connected through a series of tubes.

I probably find it funny because I've been around since the dawn of Bomb, and I remember the serious comments from people thinking that Brad would leave the site. At least... I think they were serious.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By shootermcclay

How can someone read something and not be able to just move on from it? If I read something that is annoying or unfunny, I tend to ignore it. Grow up, children.

Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ragnarok512

The forums have had this conversation many times before. Half the community hates the memes and the other half defends them or just doesn't care. It's been blown way out of proportion by by both sides (either constantly complaining about them or actively trolling with them), and there isn't going to be an resolution unless a staffer or the mods step in, which would be a little silly in my opinion.

Just my thoughts. I don't generally mind the memes, but they can be excessive. So really, I don't have much to add to this conversation.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

Wait, wait, wait... so Brad isn't leaving?

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ElixirBronze
@Demoskinos said:

Isn't that kinda the point of half of these MEMES? I mean most MEMEs are stupid and unfunny but thats kind of the point of them if you ask me. And if your getting angry about people using memes you need to take a fucking break from the forums. Roll your eyes and think its dumb but getting angry about it is just plain stupid. As is banning people for it. All the dumb in jokes is part of what I like about the community.

Yes, one of the best things about the whiskey sites is it's community. I find more funny in-jokes and memes here than any other place on the web period, I don't disagree. 

But what would be the harm in eliminating the ones that are tired and never really was that funny to begin with, and come up with new things instead? All it takes is to push people a little.
B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By B0nd07

@zudthespud said:

@Jay444111 said:

I saw an anime thread the other week, it had over 50 posts and not one was "Anime is for jerks" so I think that's dead.

The mods have already started cracking down on that one (mainly the video), so it's a bit more rare now, but it still shows up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Brad is leaving" is really not funny and seems like the oldest type of meme to ever exist on the internet. It's on the level of bad memes the fighting game community comes up with.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By ToxicFruit

"anime is for jerks", maybe that is not a meme but it is kinda annoying

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I don't think any of those need to stop. But it would be nice if people used them less. Warning and banning isn't addressing the source of the problem. If it's really a problem with spam or just a personal taste issue. It's just something you have to accept when surfing the interwebs.

The only thing I can think of that might help, would be an ignore function for chat/forums. ( if there isn't one already ) In my mind Anime will always be for jerks, Ryan will always love Dicks, and Norm really thinks that looks hard.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sooty

No point in complaining about Brad memes, he's leaving soon anyway so naturally they will stop.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Karl_Boss

pretty much every giantbomb meme is dumb and needs to stop especially the sims diamond one.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Trilogy

I think I see people bitching about memes more than I see actual memes on this website. I suppose the only exception to that is the "Brad is leaving" meme which really wasn't ever funny to begin with.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@AndrewB said:

Of all the stupid memes, I always thought the Brad leaving joke was sort of chuckle-worthy when brought up at the right time in the right context, but not when being driven into the ground everywhere, as will of course occur when you introduce multiple people virtually connected through a series of tubes.

I probably find it funny because I've been around since the dawn of Bomb, and I remember the serious comments from people thinking that Brad would leave the site. At least... I think they were serious.

That's how it started? I got suckered in by it when I first joined GB, but nobody ever explained where the meme came from.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

<>

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grissefar

"Anime is for Jerks" is really unfunny.

"Brad is leaving" is really, really funny. Much funnier than it has any right to be, especially since Brad is always so unenthusiastic about anything that it might as well be true. But I don't think he is leaving until at least E3 this year, maybe never.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Drebin_893

@AndrewB said:

This. These are almost exactly my thoughts.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By DjCmeP

Umm...Brad IS bad at games.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BrockNRolla

@TheHT said:

two of those are not memes and/or in-jokes.

Yep.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JoeyRavn

Oh, hey. It's one of those "stop doing this because I say so" threads. These need to stop too. Anyone else sees the irony in that?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo

@Grissefar said:

"Anime is for Jerks" is really unfunny.

"Brad is leaving" is really, really funny. Much funnier than it has any right to be, especially since Brad is always so unenthusiastic about anything that it might as well be true. But I don't think he is leaving until at least E3 this year, maybe never.

It's gonna be the big announcement at E3 this year.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zimbo

@benson said:

“Dude! What are you do…”

NO! BAD!