In need of a new Hobby

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Hobby's, pastimes whatever you call them, these are essentially the things that make life living. I so far am quite limited in my hobbys and am in search of a new one. What do you guys do apart from ofcourse playing video games/internet. 

I play video games, collect video games, browse the internet, TV/DVD's, read books, shopping. As you can see quite limited, so yeah post what you guys do and I may pick up somthing you guys do and have a go. 

NOTE TO MOD - Accidently made in the wrong thread, please can you move it to offtopic :)
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ninjakiller

You should try playing video games.  

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mighty

Paintball

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoMate

Breakdance, music and anime especially that last one will take up a lot of your time.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kjellm87

Soccer

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By paudle

photography, writing, getting a gf/bf, games other than videos, a martial art, cooking 
something to help you pursue your career goals 

The possibilities are endless!
theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theguy

Learn on instrument or do what I do, I'm learning web design and programming.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman

I like messing around with Photoshop. It's fun just trying new things and learning how to achieve certain effects. It also makes for some good Photo Edit Thread contributions from time to time.  :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love climbing, running, weightlifting and ... walking. 

If you have someone to do any of these things with, then the fun factor is increased tenfold.  

Bouldering specifically is fantastic (short, tricky climbing routes). There are beginner routes and it gets you unbelievably fit... plus the six-pack is pretty sick (not that I have one). It can be done outdoors or in, just need to find a club. Little equipment required for either. 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

I just now found my Ocarina and Harmonica, might consider trying to learn to play one of them.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Branthog

I pretty much just work for a living. And then work for a hobby. I don't like not working. In fact, I often have to secretly work "off line" so nobody back at the office realizes that I'm working. I've been forced to take vacations before (during which I mostly worked, anyway). In the last two years, I've started playing games on a regular basis. I do enjoy them, but it has mostly been a sort of "forced relaxation" behavior I'm trying to build into my life style. I'm also trying to fit in more reading. I haven't really had the opportunities to reach fiction much in my adult life. If I have time to read, I feel compelled to read technical or non-fiction content. I'm kind of failing at doing the "relax and read some good sci-fi" thing, but I'm trying.

I ran a very large community site for more than a decade and just ended that in the past year. I used to think of that as my hobby, but with about 100,000 people to deal with (they conducted transactions on the site, so it was more than just forums), it was really more like a second and third full time job for twelve straight years. Otherwise, I'd probably be working on yet more tech or web based projects while convincing myself that it was "relaxing".

After buying a house in this past year, I thought my new hobby might be do-it-yourself stuff. Yardwork and home maintenance and improvements and all of that. Then I realize I'm not skilled that way (plus, I sleep during the day and work at night, so yard stuff is ruled out). I had to give up and just hire people to do all that stuff.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By FesteringNeon

Take up playing bass. If you like it.. move to guitar. 
Or snowboard/ frolf

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

No Caption Provided

You want to get one of those and learn how to play it.
mowcrosoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mowcrosoft
@Hizang: i play  a little bit of the harmonica!! It's a pretty cool insfrument, but from personal experience I would say guitar is the better pastime.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

Disc Golf: the ultimate sport for stoners and fat nerds.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Patman99

As for a hobby that is somewhat related to video games, I suggest start building a miniature army (like warhammer). Three great things about it: 1) it's cool to grow an army from nothing to something. 2) it's fairly time consuming so you will never really run out of things to do. 3) it's super fun to actually play the tabletop game. 

I've been painting warhammer since I was in high school and I still find it fun. The only down side is that it can get expensive sometimes...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

Play Magic the Gathering. Or take up writing.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By byrjun

I just took up soldering, circuit bending and Arduino-prototyping. It is really fun and awesome, and much easier to get into than you think. I've learned all about the basics of electronics that I never understood  before in school, because I didn't care at that time. Just check out some youtubevideos, people are doing fun and extremely interesting things with this :)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JasonR86
@Hizang: 

You could get in to sports.  Either watch or participate so you could join me in what is a probable minority on this site.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Paint miniatures.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Tordah

As others have suggested, learn how to play an instrument.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KittenMitten

Assuming you have a stove/oven, cooking is deliciously rewarding, especially considering the low cost compared to some other hobbies.  

The real question is, what do you like? Nature? Math and/or Science? Music? Sick Abs? 

Think about things you like, and then look at what hobbies fit with them. For example, I really like nature and architecture (and certainly the combination of the two) so I recently saved up for a decent DSLR and now I'm getting into photography. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By crusader8463

I wish you luck. The few hobbies I had out side of gaming/TV/movies/anime/reading have all died off as I grew up. I used to love nothing more then drawing, doing 3D work in lightwave or Max, screwing around in photoshop and messing around with computers, but I just have lost all desire to ever do any of that stuff. Excluding screwing around with computers. I still love doing that, but I'm poor and just can't afford to. 

The closest thing to a new hobby I have discovered is walking. For the last week I have forced myself to go for a short 10-15 min walk every day. I just plug in my MP3 player and walk down the road a bit then come back. I wouldn't say it's really fun, but after such a long cold winter when I saw all the snow finally melt I used it as motivation to try and get in shape. So now at some point during the day, when I feel like it, I go for said walk, then come in and do about 50 sets/lifts/whatever they are called lifting a couple 5 lb dumbbells I found. It's not much, but it's better then what I was doing before. Nothing. 

A great hobby to pick up though is cooking. It can be a ton of fun learning how to cook various foods, proper cooking techniques etc. Plus, it's a great skill to have. Being able to prepare a wide variety of great tasting foods will make your life so much better. You just feel good when you eat a nice variety of great tasting foods all the time. Plus you can learn to cook healthy food that tastes good and helps you get/stay healthy.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PhantomGardener

I enjoy playing bownling from time to time.

I also enjoy reading books and comic books.