Interesting site that shows popularity of PSN games

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

The Ars Technica people did a better job of writing this up than I could have, so hey, read their article, I guess! I guess this site called GamStat took in a bunch of data from a leak in December and used it to compute player numbers for a bunch of Playstation games. The math is...a bit obscure, but I guess it checks out if Ars Technica is writing them up? It also has some interesting looks at the amount of people that pick up games after they hit PS+:

No Caption Provided

It's also interesting to see how the exclusives compare to the COD's of the world; Last of Us looks like it's the most popular exclusive for the PS4, with other stuff like Horizon: Zero Dawn not even in the top 50 games (although it's close). Part of that is just the sheer popularity of Call of Duty, though, which is apparently all a lot of people play.

Anyway, interesting site!

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking at the Most Popular chart (with data from mid Nov 2018) it seems kinda wild to me that RDR2 was #60 (at that point less than a month old) while Mortal Kombat X was waaaaaay up at #15. Not sure whats up with that. Wasn't RDR2 a big seller and shouldn't MKX be reduced to a small dedicated community by now?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shindig

There's data there from February '19 now so they're probably working out some kinks with the data. I'm digging into some indie numbers which might actually equate more to sales... ish. My rarest trophy came from Pressure Overdrive which only has 700 players.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, that is very interesting even if they are working out the kinks. The breakout numbers of 'tasters' and 'subaccount' player is interesting too. You would think in the XB One and PS4 era that developers have all sort of information like this, but they don't reveal it. ANd, maybe not revealing ist is a bad idea since I think revealing some of these obscure states would show WHY developers & publisher are doing what they are doing.

Transparency is scary, but when publishers are not transparent about sales, who's buying and when they buy the video game marketplace ist hard to make sense of it.