SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Al3xand3r said:
Can you even actually make any meaningful conversions to the gameplay? All I've seen is maps, maybe crappy stunt or racing levels as the most varied gameplay difference. I don't see single or multi player projects that completely change the setting, the arsenal, the enemies, the game modes, or even the genre."
Yes?  There's a tons of new vehicles, new enemeis, new maps, skins, new weapons, tweaks to physics, lighting, general script editing,  etc.

this is something of the map editor, but it's also to show something along the lines of what could be a full conversion

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By bybeach

My opinion, Halo CE was a rather so so PC game. i didn`t like the endless concrete period, the weapons were meh to me at first. The day glo cutsie kind of look put me off also, but I got used to it, and got a real kick out of the 'little ppl.' The combat improved for me throughout the game, and I luved the ghost.

This doesn`t make Kasavin wrong. This is my opinion. It still inspired me to play halo 3(not a PC game, true) and got into it more.

This is opinion also, that the Gears of war port to PC was better then on console, though the gap has been vastly, incredibly narrowed. To the point I was enjoying using a controller, and not thinking of any differences at all. I enjoy both consoles and PC these days.

I think these days a game like Halo 3 would easily claim it`s place on the PC, and not be hampered that it was ported from the best thing happening for fps on console. So there wouldn`t be this controversy of dragging something way up from the past, and a Kasavin review that even after my playing the game didn`t strike me as off. As a PC gamer at the time, I thought Halo CE competitive, but there were other PC games I liked more.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@bybeach said:
"My opinion, Halo CE was a rather so so PC game. i didn`t like the endless concrete period, the weapons were meh to me at first. The day glo cutsie kind of look put me off also, but I got used to it, and got a real kick out of the 'little ppl.' The combat improved for me throughout the game, and I luved the ghost.This doesn`t make Kasavin wrong. This is my opinion. It still inspired me to play halo 3(not a PC game, true) and got into it more.This is opinion also, that the Gears of war port to PC was better then on console, though the gap has been vastly, incredibly narrowed. To the point I was enjoying using a controller, and not thinking of any differences at all. I enjoy both consoles and PC these days.I think these days a game like Halo 3 would easily claim it`s place on the PC, and not be hampered that it was ported from the best thing happening for fps on console. So there wouldn`t be this controversy of dragging something way up from the past, and a Kasavin review that even after my playing the game didn`t strike me as off. As a PC gamer at the time, I thought Halo CE competitive, but there were other PC games I liked more."

Halo 1's mp wasn't anything super-great.  It was the single player in that game.
Halo 2 is where the mp started to become great.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By RHCPfan24

Greg is always right. Reading through this thread, I can see that the emphasis on his opinion is not taking center stage anymore. Just a normal day on the "new user who posts about Halo being good or bad" thread. *sigh*

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#55  Edited By LordAndrew
@RHCPfan24 said:
"Reading through this thread, I can see that the emphasis on his opinion is not taking center stage anymore."
That's fine. "Greg Kasavin's opinion is wrong" is a horrible start for a thread anyway. It had to be derailed in order to survive.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Manatassi

Really not getting the Relevance of this topic.

Halo was a great game, but that was a long time ago so where are you going with this? Are you suggesting that there is a problem with the review?
*shrug* I just dont get the point of the post.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By RHCPfan24
@LordAndrew said:
"
@RHCPfan24 said:
"Reading through this thread, I can see that the emphasis on his opinion is not taking center stage anymore."
That's fine. "Greg Kasavin's opinion is wrong" is a horrible start for a thread anyway. It had to be derailed in order to survive. "
OK, but it doesn't mean it has to survive, you know? How many useless Halo debate threads to we need?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By LordAndrew
@RHCPfan24: A lot, apparently. It seems the Giant Bomb community just loves to debate Halo. Meanwhile, I remain totally indifferent.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RHCPfan24
@LordAndrew: Yes, same here. But it is annoying because these threads are either the creation of Smug or a user who just came on and wants to start a flame war. But people take the bait, as the comments on this thread show. And a lot of times the user is the same person with a different name.
DryPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DryPenguin
@SmugDarkLoser: You have the most accurate handle I have encountered in a long long time on the internet.  Clearly you are who you post under
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mocobrian
@Ravey said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"Marathon was the first FPS to use feature dual wielding.
Actually, Marathon and Rise of the Triad were released on the same day."
That's wierd, both games had dual wielding.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Jayge_
@mocobrian said:
"
@Ravey said:
"
@mocobrian said:
That's wierd, both games had dual wielding. "
I think that was the point, probably.

Ravey is like a goddamn historian.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jkz

Maybe? NEVER!

mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mocobrian
@Jayge said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@Ravey said:
"
@mocobrian said:

"
Like the GamingGoose.... you know the GamingGoose?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Azteck

What is this discussion even about?! I have read all 3 pages and I see no fucking point in the topic since that review is old and has little relevance these days.

mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mocobrian
@Azteck said:
"What is this discussion even about?! I have read all 3 pages and I see no fucking point in the topic since that review is old and has little relevance these days."

Do you agree with Greg Kasavin?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jayge_
@mocobrian said:
"
@Jayge said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@Ravey said:
"
@mocobrian said:

"
Like the GamingGoose.... you know the GamingGoose?
"
Nah, I just know Ravey.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LordAndrew

Having only played the demo, I'm not really qualified to comment on Halo.
But since the release of Half-Life 2, I can say that the PC FPS scene has changed significantly. Halo for the PC may have been fine and dandy back in 2003, but six years later I'm not so sure. I doubt Greg Kasavin himself cares about Halo for the PC at this point. And why should he? It's been more than six years! Half-Life 2 has legs, Halo for the PC did not. But how could he have known that at the time? We've got the power of hindsight on our side, Greg Kasavin did not.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Azteck
@mocobrian said:
"
@Azteck said:
"What is this discussion even about?! I have read all 3 pages and I see no fucking point in the topic since that review is old and has little relevance these days."
Do you agree with Greg Kasavin? "
I never played Halo on the PC, so I cannot agree nor can I disagree with him. But as other people have stated before me, it has little to no relevance in these days when we even have a 3rd installment of Halo and a 4th on the way, not to mention Reach. (if we're to stick to Halo)

This review is 6 years old. Drop the fucking subject and move on to something someone actually gives a crap about. Geez.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mocobrian
@LordAndrew said:
"Having only played the demo, I'm not really qualified to comment on Halo. But since the release of Half-Life 2, I can say that the PC FPS scene has changed significantly. Halo for the PC may have been fine and dandy back in 2003, but six years later I'm not so sure. I doubt Greg Kasavin himself cares about Halo for the PC at this point. And why should he? It's been more than six years! Half-Life 2 has legs, Halo for the PC did not. But how could he have known that at the time? We've got the power of hindsight on our side, Greg Kasavin did not. "
Half-Life 2 hasterrible team and enemy A.I., Halo has good team and enemy A.I., Half-Life 2's combat is basic, Halo's combat is deep.

Half-Life 1 > Halo 1 > Half-Life 2

I doubt he's not a fan of Halo.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm sure he's a big fan of Halo. He's made that no secret. I doubt he's been playing the PC port of Halo: Combat Evolved any time recently though.

Halo for the PC is no longer relevant. Period.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@LordAndrew said:
Half-Life 2 hasterrible team and enemy A.I., Halo has good team and enemy A.I., Half-Life 2's combat is basic, Halo's combat is deep.

"

Well I don't think anyone gives a shit about Half life for it's gunplay.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jkz
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@LordAndrew said:

"
Well I don't think anyone gives a shit about Half life for it's gunplay. "
Agreed Smug. Also, Half-Life 2 has a far better story than halo, and AT LEAST equally good gunplay. As for A.I, Halo has Shitty A.I, both friendly and Enemy. Half-Life 2's is bad too, but they are both equally terrible.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mocobrian
@jukezypoo said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@LordAndrew said:

"
Well I don't think anyone gives a shit about Half life for it's gunplay. "
Agreed Smug. Also, Half-Life 2 has a far better story than halo, and AT LEAST equally good gunplay. As for A.I, Halo has Shitty A.I, both friendly and Enemy. Half-Life 2's is bad too, but they are both equally terrible.
"

The gunplay in Half-Life 2 is basic because the weapons aren't well balanced nor do they have depth in terms of usage.

As for A.I.:

Valve fanboy much?
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mocobrian
@LordAndrew said:
"I'm sure he's a big fan of Halo. He's made that no secret. I doubt he's been playing the PC port of Halo: Combat Evolved any time recently though.Halo for the PC is no longer relevant. Period."

People still play Halo CE for the PC's multiplayer and create mods for the single-player.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@jukezypoo said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
You're joking, right?  Halo's AI is some of, and has always been, some of the best.   It's the whole reason that Firefight supposely works so well, because it's already ready, they just essentially have to design the levels.

Halo 1's ai still kicks the majority's ass.  Halo 2's was significantly better though, and 3 made yet more improvements

Although, there is one part which sucks.  Friendly AI's driving abilities (not fighting, just driving).   They just suck, bump into cliffs, etc.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Al3xand3r
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
Can you even actually make any meaningful conversions to the gameplay? All I've seen is maps, maybe crappy stunt or racing levels as the most varied gameplay difference. I don't see single or multi player projects that completely change the setting, the arsenal, the enemies, the game modes, or even the genre."
Yes?  There's a tons of new vehicles, new enemeis, new maps, skins, new weapons, tweaks to physics, lighting, general script editing,  etc.

this is something of the map editor, but it's also to show something along the lines of what could be a full conversion
"
Um, that's a PC screenshot as far as I can tell, you said the xbox game's community rivals PC games' mod communities. I know the PC version is modable, but is the console version modable officially? I see people talking about requiring modded consoles and shit. If that is true, then it certainly doesn't rival PC games' mod communities. The same applies if it's wrong but on the other hand requires a PC to actually download the mods. Modable is one thing, hackable another. I don't call Guitar Hero a modable game because people share hacked isos with different songs and shit. And the rest of my post which you didn't quote still stands high. I'll quote it to remind you.

@Al3xand3r said:
"Note how from talking about a multi platform game, he makes up his own rules and restricts comparisons to  PC exclusive titles only... As if multi platform titles of the Modern Warfare sort don't look and play infinitely better on PC. Lol. Also, The Witcher is an FPS folks. Lol. What more evidence do you need about someone talking out of his ass without having a clue about what he's pretend-attempting to discuss?

Anyway, there are many PC shooters better than Halo, from single player titles like the Half-Life (or anything Valve) franchise to multiplayer focused titles like the Unreal Tournament franchise, the Battlefield franchise, the Call of Duty franchise, the Tribes franchise (well, perhaps not the last part) to mixed focus titles like Rainbow Six , Ghost Recon (but not the shoddy consolised latest parts) SWAT, Armed Assault 2 and others. Even free stuff like America's Army. Sure, not all of them are exclusive, but several are, and the rest look and most importantly play far better on PC, with often enough more involved communities, mod support, and so on and so forth. There's really no comparison. "
And lol @ the guy using glitch videos to compare AIs. Here, how about this video? OLOLOL THEY CAN'T SHOOT, SO LAEM AI AMIRITE? Please...

Anyway, better AI vs better game overall, I'll go with the latter. The bots in UT2004 are probably a lot better than that anyway though. But yes, they also get glitchy at times, you don't have to go search youtube. In gameplay circumstances, they can do everything a player can, regardless of the game type, the complexity of the map, the vehicle they're in, etc, etc, etc. If you set them at the highest difficulty they can even rival an experienced human player in duel mode without appearing to be "cheating" but normally navigating the map, getting the right weapons and using them properly despite the differences between them. I'm not sure if UT3 made improvements or killed it but whatever. So, as I was saying, better game overall is better than having better AI, graphics, or other individual bits and pieces. For this alone, System Shock 2, Quake 3, Deus Ex, Team Fortress Classic, Tribes, and other gaming staples, are still better than anything Halo.

Edit: Lol, proving your point without replying to anything I say? This post has a looooot of content even in the case that's an Xbox screenshot you know, but you once again ignore everything. Go play some good PC FPS for once. No, not like The Witcher... Lol...
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jkz
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@jukezypoo said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
You're joking, right?  Halo's AI is some of, and has always been, some of the best.   It's the whole reason that Firefight supposely works so well, because it's already ready, they just essentially have to design the levels. "
Friendly A.I is some of the most downright frustrating I've ever experienced in a campaign. From having them straight up drive me off cliffs and drop grenades at my feet, I've been far more frustrated by it than I have by the A.I in HL2, which just sort of stands there being useless. Enemy A.I I could see being better but friendly I prefer HL'S.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By LordAndrew

I haven't played Half-Life 2 yet. Still playing the first one.
I wasn't talking about gameplay, gunplay, AI, or any of that shit. I was talking more about the Source Engine. Might as well toss Unreal Engine in there too to help you understand that I'm not trying to make a big deal about that one game.

mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mocobrian
@LordAndrew said:
"I haven't played Half-Life 2 yet. Still playing the first one.I wasn't talking about gameplay, gunplay, AI, or any of that shit. I was talking more about the Source Engine. Might as well toss Unreal Engine in there too to help you understand that I'm not trying to make a big deal about that one game."
The source engine is amazing.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LordAndrew

Halo fanboy much? (See? I can be a stupid troll too.)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@Al3xand3r said:
lol. proving my point.  That is the xbox version.  The pc's map editor doesn't look like that.  See what I mean?  You can go to the original image's location and check it out.  And yes, it does require hacking, etc. but once you compare how many people play halo and want to mod it, you'd see where this is going. 

@mocobrian said:
Was. 

And dude, accept it.  Half Life 2's AI sucks.  The enemies just straight up stand there and shoot.  And you know holding an object up is constant, not a glitch.  That and the actual gunplay are extremely average.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mocobrian
@LordAndrew said:
"Halo fanboy much? (See? I can be a stupid troll too.)"

Half-Life 1 > Halo 1 > Half-Life 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 2
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@LordAndrew said:
Half-Life 1 > Halo 1 > Half-Life 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 "

You really think Half-Life 2 is that good?  Jees, call it luck of timing.  Because really, that game is so mediocre for a good shooter.
mocobrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mocobrian
@SmugDarkLoser said:
"
@mocobrian said:
"
@LordAndrew said:
Half-Life 1 > Halo 1 > Half-Life 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 "
You really think Half-Life 2 is that good?  Jees, call it luck of timing.  Because really, that game is so mediocre for a good shooter. "

You're a fucking Halo fanboy, more than I'll ever be.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Azteck

I still want a reason from you made this thread, @mocobrian , 'cause from my point of view, it looks like a deliberate attempt to stir up flaming and drama.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#87  Edited By King9999

This guy posted the same topic on GameSpot's forums.  I think this thread should be locked.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#88  Edited By strangeling
@mocobrian said:
"Greg Kasavin says that Halo CE lives up to the high standards of PC shooters.Is he right or wrong?If he is right or wrong, do you think he makes valid reasons to his claim? "
Seriously, quit with the name changes and the Halo threads.
Get yourself some help for your obsession.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By pirate_republic

Dude, he's always right.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@mocobrian said:
"
@SmugDarkLoser said:
You're a fucking Halo fanboy, more than I'll ever be. "

No halo fucking sucks.
But Half Life 2 is....actually.  Probably just liked so much by pc gamers because it's, or more appropriately when it came out, the only pc good exclusive shooter that hasn't gone to consoles.  Hell, even UT2004 had  Unreal Championship 2 which was so much better than it.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TwoOneFive

it was a great game. things like the regenerating health system, and the entire control scheme, the feel of the shooting etc was great and totally fun and yes, the story did totally grab me i was so into it back then. 

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Halo at the time was the number one shooter. But it hasn't really evolved since then...

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By Scieran
@mocobrian: There's no right or wrong. It's his opinion without based facts.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95  Edited By Linkyshinks

Much of what he says applies to that point of time, and it is his opinion, even if it happens not be yours. So for the most part, he is right.