is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth 68 bucks? Used?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By crithon

Was at 3 different gamestop, they got a new shipment Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy is there, and it's priced at 68 bucks. I own Prime 1 on gamecube and Prime 3. I'm eager to play Prime 2 Echos, and I'm intended on paying 15 bucks for it. So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there has a copy of Prime Trilogy, and is it worth it? Does it all have nice on component cables 480p widescreen? Wii control supports?

Each shop had 4 copies of it, so I'm in no hurry.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You must have missed the part where it's a super rare and hard to get ahold of game that had a really stupidly low number of copies printed. That's the reason why it's so pricey. If I were you, I would approach this one from the angle of 'do I want to own this rare collectable item.' Also, I'm no expert, but I thought that game went for way more than that online and was impossible to find in stores at this point.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By PandaBear

Should I buy Panzer Dragoon Saga for $15?! It's so old!!!1

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crithon

@l1ghtn1n said:

All 3 games were updated with widescreen support and Wii controls similar to Metroid Prime 3. I love those games to death, but $68 is a lot if you already have 1 and 3. The bigger thing is that collection was incredibly rare. Looking around on eBay and Amazon, most copies are selling for around $50-60 used so that price isn't quite as bad as it might look but if all you're looking for is 2 you can the GCN version off eBay for about $10. If you're wanting it more for the "Wow this is rare! Neat!" angle then go for it, they're perfectly fine versions of those games as well. If all you're wanting is to play 2 then I'd just eBay a copy or look around and see if any used game stores near you have a copy (bit of a long shot but possible).

Well some gamestops have been pulling Gamecube games out their shelves, but then I noticed their PS2 collections right beside the Wii games. Always keeping an eye out for MP2.

Yeah, Metroid Prime 1 is excellent and I would love to replay it, AGAIN but with wii controls would be interesting. But yeah, still surprised as why it's so pricey. Hoping the disc is all beautiful mirror reflection.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That trilogy came in a metal case then it was discontiued GameStop puts the game out in plastic cases and sells it for the same price

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow I picked that trilogy up on a whim not long after I got my Wii U for like $50.. had no idea it was uncommon. Still, gamestop keeps pulling this bullshit with "rare" games like Xenoblade which you literally couldn't find anywhere and then one day there were copies at every Gamestop within a 100 mile radius of me.

Anyway to answer your question I don't think I'd buy this version just for Echoes. If you love those three games and want to have them in a nice tin box with a good looking foldout, etc... I'd pick it up.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I already own all three individually (and they're all way cheap too) so I don't think so. They're great games, but it's a bit up in the air whether the Wii controls contribute or take away from the first two games according to various review sites. The widescreen is nice.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserguy said:

That trilogy came in a metal case then it was discontiued GameStop puts the game out in plastic cases and sells it for the same price

Yes, I was noticing that.... again, somewhat inflated price

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crithon

Wow I picked that trilogy up on a whim not long after I got my Wii U for like $50.. had no idea it was uncommon. Still, gamestop keeps pulling this bullshit with "rare" games like Xenoblade which you literally couldn't find anywhere and then one day there were copies at every Gamestop within a 100 mile radius of me.

Anyway to answer your question I don't think I'd buy this version just for Echoes. If you love those three games and want to have them in a nice tin box with a good looking foldout, etc... I'd pick it up.

hmmmm thanks for your advice. Yeah, I saw about 9 of them, so I'm taking my time weighting the pros and cons of this.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

Metroid Prime 1 is one of the greatest games of all time and you should play it if you have the means, no questions asked. 2 and 3 are very, very good games in their own rights but the first one is the real gem.

With that noted, if you're only interested in the first game (which, let's be clear, you should be interested in the first game if you have not played it yet) you could probably get the Gamecube version somewhere else. It's not quite as clear, but then Wii games aren't really known for having great textures in the first place. Besides, that game's visual appeal comes from the otherworldly aesthetic and not the tremendous detail (though, compared to games of the day, it was better-looking than most in that regard too). Two and three shouldn't be hard to pick up. The Gamecube version's odd (not bad, odd) control scheme should also be taken into account, but I'd say that the controls are no reason to spend the extra money on the Wii version.

Also keep in mind that there are not many copies of the Metroid Prime Trilogy floating around, so that's another reason for its high price. $68 is actually not bad for that game right now.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid Prime 1 is one of the greatest games of all time and you should play it if you have the means, no questions asked. 2 and 3 are very, very good games in their own rights but the first one is the real gem.

With that noted, if you're only interested in the first game (which, let's be clear, you should be interested in the first game if you have not played it yet) you could probably get the Gamecube version somewhere else. It's not quite as clear, but then Wii games aren't really known for having great textures in the first place. Besides, that game's visual appeal comes from the otherworldly aesthetic and not the tremendous detail (though, compared to games of the day, it was better-looking than most in that regard too). Two and three shouldn't be hard to pick up. The Gamecube version's odd (not bad, odd) control scheme should also be taken into account, but I'd say that the controls are no reason to spend the extra money on the Wii version.

Also keep in mind that there are not many copies of the Metroid Prime Trilogy floating around, so that's another reason for its high price. $68 is actually not bad for that game right now.

actually I own metroid prime 1, just noticing the Wii stretches out the textures on the menus and interfaces for widescreen. That's one reason I found to get Trilogy for. I never had a complaint over the GC control scheme, but I know many who complained about it. I don't know why anyone would complain about that? I've played worse console FPS games.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@crithon: I say yes ... also there is a ton of extras to nlock etc ... tho I imagine such things were available on the cube versions. Also that sweet metalic box is awesome.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: I say yes ... also there is a ton of extras to nlock etc ... tho I imagine such things were available on the cube versions. Also that sweet metalic box is awesome.

hmmmmmm didn't know there were unlockes, I'm making chin stroking thinking motions.... Nah, metalic box is not there, just simple white wii box.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you really want to get it, do not get it from Gamestop. Fuck them and this new thing of reprinting rare games then selling them as used. This new version should not be priced as it is.

Hell, if you have a pretty decent PC, look into running the GC versions on Dolphin. May be able to set them up using Wii controls even.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122 said:

If you really want to get it, do not get it from Gamestop. Fuck them and this new thing of reprinting rare games then selling them as used. This new version should not be priced as it is.

Hell, if you have a pretty decent PC, look into running the GC versions on Dolphin. May be able to set them up using Wii controls even.

Trust me, it's crossed my mind A LOT! They do jack the prices up, even if it is rare quantity. 30 bucks for Zelda Spirit Tracks without the case.

The Wii outputs at 480p, would be nice to PUSH IT FURTHER, and don't enjoy those stretched out overlay of the scanning tool in prime 1.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:
@believer258 said:

actually I own metroid prime 1, just noticing the Wii stretches out the textures on the menus and interfaces for widescreen. That's one reason I found to get Trilogy for. I never had a complaint over the GC control scheme, but I know many who complained about it. I don't know why anyone would complain about that? I've played worse console FPS games.

In that case, it seems like it would primarily be a collector's item. If gaming winds up being like comic books (which it's starting to look that way), then you'll probably have something worth quite a bit in a couple of decades. The widescreen stretching also doesn't seem like a $68 problem to me.

Looking on eBay, you could get Prime 2 and 3 for around thirty or forty dollars. You decide if the extra forty or thirty dollars it would take to get the Trilogy as a collector's item is worth it.

TwinkleTwinkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it, if you like those games then I suppose so. But those games don't seem like fun games to replay, but most people seem to agree the motion controls suit the game well.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Echoes is kind of a bad game and definitely isn't worth paying $70 dollars for the collection just to play Echoes unless you're a person who cares about owning rare games or you really want to play through Prime with the updated controls. Personally I think the gamecube controls are better and was kind of bummed out with it. But then again I was also a person who was really disappointed that Corruption didn't come with any support for the classic controller.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Prime but the sequel didn't click with me. I would only try it again for cheap.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was lucky enough to grab a copy of Trilogy before it went out of print. Does anyone know the legal implications of ripping an iso so I can emulate it? My Wii's kind of fucked up and has a habit of scratching disks, and hearing you dudes talk about it is reminding me how great that specific release was.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

@notdavid: You are backing up a game you already own for your personal use, which as far as I know is ok as long as you still own the original.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Metroid Prime + Metroid Prime 2 + Gamecube = less than 40 bucks (Corruption is like 5 bucks)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Justin258

@notdavid said:

I was lucky enough to grab a copy of Trilogy before it went out of print. Does anyone know the legal implications of ripping an iso so I can emulate it? My Wii's kind of fucked up and has a habit of scratching disks, and hearing you dudes talk about it is reminding me how great that specific release was.

There is no legal gray area in making one backup copy of a piece of media that you own as long as you are the one that backed it up. That's perfectly legal. Downloading an ISO of a game you own is where the gray area starts. Forgetting that, though, I believe there are only a handful of different types of disc drives that can make a working backup copy of a game; if you want an ISO of your disc, you'll have to have either one of those special drives or a modified Wii.

I think that Echoes is kind of a bad game and definitely isn't worth paying $70 dollars for the collection just to play Echoes unless you're a person who cares about owning rare games or you really want to play through Prime with the updated controls. Personally I think the gamecube controls are better and was kind of bummed out with it. But then again I was also a person who was really disappointed that Corruption didn't come with any support for the classic controller.

I can echo your sentiment about the controls. I wish the Trilogy and Corruption had come with classic controller support.

I don't agree with your bit about Echoes, though. It's the worst in the trilogy but still miles above most games.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime was an amazing title. Play 2 then 3 then 1. The first game's high quality will make the sequels disappointments.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wii trilogy is pretty limited. Get this, August 2009 Nintendo America starts shipping copies. Not 5 months later in January 2010, they stop. It's not know exactly how many copies were made in that time but it's not a lot. 3 whole years later GameStop announces that they've bought a significant stock of pre-owned Metroid Trilogy for wii.

I didn't even know you could buy this game in-stores. According to the original announcement GS was saying that it would only be available online for $84. $64 actually sounds like a good deal as copies are going for more than that on eBay. That being said, if you already own 2 of the 3 I don't see much point unless you really want the trology for the collectors value (or really want the widescreen version). A copy of Prime 2 for GCN is about $25 used.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Immortal_Guy

Bear in mind that if you buy Trilogy, you won't have the option to play with a gamecube controller and the old control scheme - the wii controls are not optional. If you've played 1 on the gamecube and 3 on the wii, presumably you know which control scheme you prefer, and can buy the version with that.

I've played through all the games using the Trilogy collection (it's not quite as ridiculously rare in the UK), and the motion controls for 1 and 2 seemed to work OK - but it did feel to me like the games weren't designed with them in mind. I'd have liked to try them with the old controls, so I was annoyed to not have the option.

Regardless of that, for the price difference between echoes and Trilogy, I think you'd have to really want the wii version to pay the extra.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Wait, so Gamestop is reprinting them and putting it in a plastic case? I am glad I picked it up before it went out of print then, got it cheaper and in a metal case.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bear in mind that if you buy Trilogy, you won't have the option to play with a gamecube controller and the old control scheme - the wii controls are not optional. If you've played 1 on the gamecube and 3 on the wii, presumably you know which control scheme you prefer, and can buy the version with that.

I've played through all the games using the Trilogy collection (it's not quite as ridiculously rare in the UK), and the motion controls for 1 and 2 seemed to work OK - but it did feel to me like the games weren't designed with them in mind. I'd have liked to try them with the old controls, so I was annoyed to not have the option.

Regardless of that, for the price difference between echoes and Trilogy, I think you'd have to

really

want the wii version to pay the extra.

hmmmm interesting, your the first person to mention that to me. I enjoyed what Retro did with Prime 3 because there was a stop mini game to incorporate the motion controls. And then replaying Prime 1, the whole lock when it's more then couple enemies felt a bit too mechianic (since she's a robot or a tank) but I prefer how Prime 3 had that bit of free aim as you locked on. But then, I own original Prime, so I don't need to worry to much about switching controls. But yeah, thanks for sharing that, I had no idea.

@notdavid said:

There is no legal gray area in making one backup copy of a piece of media that you own as long as you are the one that backed it up. That's perfectly legal. Downloading an ISO of a game you own is where the gray area starts. Forgetting that, though, I believe there are only a handful of different types of disc drives that can make a working backup copy of a game; if you want an ISO of your disc, you'll have to have either one of those special drives or a modified Wii.

@circlenine said:

I can echo your sentiment about the controls. I wish the Trilogy and Corruption had come with classic controller support.

I don't agree with your bit about Echoes, though. It's the worst in the trilogy but still miles above most games.

I keep thinking about running a Dolphin emulator. But even with a modest PC it could run like 30 fps, those emulators are such resource intensive since they are trying to fake all the internals.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Metroid Prime at 480p on componet cables looks nice, but 1080p..... sweet baby jesus.

Yeah, I mean I read a lot of reviews on Echos. But I mean retro does a lot of unique and interesting things I'm just excited to see what it has. You know, a lot of people just don't mention how much like this style of game doesn't come out, atmosphere and sense of world building. Maybe Bioshock could be best compared since even that the combat is a lot of PEW PEW. And Echos has a Tron style level, whaaaaa, I gotta see that.

Yeah I often wonder just how sleazy gamestop is..... Are they reprinting disc? They can't be doing that? At least repackaging? Just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth I'm missing out on that metallic case. Right now I'm more concerned with scratches at a high price, if I were to pay 15 bucks, I'd be cool with how wrecked it was.

thanks for your input all of you guys

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would try to avoid reprints / re-releases of old Nintendo games that should have made it to eShop at a reasonable price ages ago. There are probably a larger number of good titles than you have time to play, and it encourages Nintendo to stick with their head in the sand strategy.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba

This is for the reprint on the plastic case, right! I thought the metal cased ones were going for about the same? If so, just go for the steelbook, it's a lot rarer.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I having a case of faux deja vu, or was this just asked recently?

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@l1ghtn1n said:

All 3 games were updated with widescreen support and Wii controls similar to Metroid Prime 3. I love those games to death, but $68 is a lot if you already have 1 and 3. The bigger thing is that collection was incredibly rare. Looking around on eBay and Amazon, most copies are selling for around $50-60 used so that price isn't quite as bad as it might look but if all you're looking for is 2 you can the GCN version off eBay for about $10. If you're wanting it more for the "Wow this is rare! Neat!" angle then go for it, they're perfectly fine versions of those games as well. If all you're wanting is to play 2 then I'd just eBay a copy or look around and see if any used game stores near you have a copy (bit of a long shot but possible).

this sounds good. get the GC version and pick up a memory card (last I remember trying, we couldnt save without one and we didnt have one for splinter cell). OR if you want: pick up the game, get an emulator and upres it that way (if u wanted the higher quality visuals). That way you are not wasting 50$.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@crithon said:

Yeah, I mean I read a lot of reviews on Echos. But I mean retro does a lot of unique and interesting things I'm just excited to see what it has. You know, a lot of people just don't mention how much like this style of game doesn't come out, atmosphere and sense of world building. Maybe Bioshock could be best compared since even that the combat is a lot of PEW PEW. And Echos has a Tron style level, whaaaaa, I gotta see that.

Echoes is also regarded as the most difficult entry, and it has that very Ikaruga-like light/dark mechanic going on.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent about 150 hours on the trilogy which seems like a good cost-benefit ratio. Also MP1 is one of the best games ever made. So yeah, I'd go for it

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soothsayergb: oh man, fucking Phendrana soundtrack, I would have been happy if that had been the music for the whole goddamn game