Is now a good time to get an Xbox One Elite controller?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Is now a good time to get an Xbox One Elite controller? (41 votes)

Now is a good time 7%
Now is not a good time 5%
Wait for the Elite 2 66%
Show me the answers 22%

So I was recently thinking of getting the Elite controller for the XB1 in small part due to a quarterly bonus I received. Thing is I started looking around and it looks like Microsoft is discontinuing the original Elite - on their own store it is unavailable to purchase (at least in my region) and the few physical stores I visited over the weekend didn't have any in stock. I did see them available from their websites but it got me thinking - is it worth waiting for the Elite 2? Or should I just get in on the Elite 1 now.

Price - this is kind of a sticking point for me. The Microsoft store has a pre-order page for the Elite 2 and it is $180, which is an increase in price from the already hefty $150 for the original Elite.

This seems like a weird move considering that this is a refresh of the original. There are new features of course - most noticably Bluetooth connectivity. Other than that.. there is a third profile you can configure as opposed to the 2 the original had, tension control for the sticks and I think an extra setting for how much throw the triggers have. From the smaller stuff there is the grip surface they are using now and you can charge the controller through the case (not quite sure if this was ..ahem.. the case.. with the original)

So at this point I can get an original new Elite 1 for a little less than $140 - or - I can wait until November and I guess pay even more to have a few more quality of life improvements.

What say ye Giant Bomb? Is this worth it? How about you guys that already own one of these controllers? Do you think you might upgrade?

• 
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I own an Elite controller. It’s the best controller I’ve owned. Standard controllers on Xbox and Playstation are also great.

Between the fact that the baseline controllers are so good and there’s new shit around the corner, I’d wait. Yeah, it should work on next gen hardware, and it is the best controller I’ve used, but something better is probably coming and standard controllers really are well more thab “good enough.”

So I say wait.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'd like to think that if you wait till the Elite 2 is out, but the price is a bit too high for your liking, the old Elite's can be had for a cheaper price.

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Either way its going to be the best controller you ever used. The feel of it is orders of magnitude better than any other controller.

I have the original Elite since the first release and love it to death. One problem i have recently, that i hear is common after a few years, is the rubberized grip is starting to come off a little. I've heard you can submit a ticket to xbox support and they will fix or replace it but also thinking about just upgrading.

Some of the new features do sound nice but part of me likes that the old one runs on batteries as I have a good set of rechargeable ones that are always ready to go. The new one I believe has built in battery but that means if it runs out in middle of game you have to play with wire or wait.

In the end it's probably just your preference/priorities but I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@rabidlamb: I have a loose rubber grip. It’s been that way for about a year. I haven’t tried to replace it as the normal controllers are REALLY great, too.

Also, my local Microsoft Store has really dicked me around on hardware issues in the past. So I’d be more inclined to just buy another rather than deal with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's probably as good a time as any, but I am curious if the original Elites will see a more significant discount when the Elite 2 is released. I imagine retailers will want to clear that outdated inventory really quickly.

EDIT:Regarding what it's like to own one, and whether I'll upgrade. For the most part, the Elite is the best controller I've ever used. It has a satisfying heft and a really comfortable finish. Nothing about it feels cheap. Unfortunately, I started having issues with the analog sticks, which started to become loose in their sockets. Never had problems with the shoulder buttons or the rubberized grip--other common complains you'll see.

I will be upgrading to the Elite 2, though it might not be this holiday.