Isn't it amazing how everyone does Quick Looks now?

• 80 results
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

Ages ago I saw a Now Playing... on Gamespot n I was like "Oh, they've picked up quick looks".
Just recently, my second favourite game site GamesRadar started FAPping (FULL ACCESS PREVIEW), and I just opened an IGN video to a guy saying "Hey, welcome to another IGN Quick 15". 
Even on Inside Xbox I'm seein Quick Looks.

This is like a critical thing now. Like NEWS, REVIEWS, PODCAST, QUICK LOOKS. I guess it caught on cos they're so easy to make.
That's really cool. Funny how it started off as just some video Jeff made on a whim.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dingofighter

Aren't they with the developers of the game though? I haven't watched any of these except for Gamespot's "Now Playing" and I think that was with the developer. 
If that is the case, then they aren't really the same thing as original Quick Looks, but even then I think it's cool that QLs are catching on, as I think they are one of the most informative ways of letting the audience know how a game is.

Also, Gamespot has achivement tracking, called Fuse... Like the fuse of a bomb... Maybe even a giant bomb...

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RoyCampbell

FAPping?

That's shameful.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Noodles

It's a great idea, for the most part a Quick Look style video will tell you so much more about the game than a review.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking

Giantbomb is the original, and best.  They're clever and funny.  The one I saw months ago on IGN, for Darksiders, was little more than a preview of the game.  I lost interest quickly.  The Giantbomb guys go beyond just previewing a game, they entertain the viewer as well.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

"Amazing" is not the word I would use. 

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valiantgrizzly

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Giant Bomb changed video game journalism for the better.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck
@HatKing said:
" Giantbomb is the original, and best.  They're clever and funny.  The one I saw months ago on IGN, for Darksiders, was little more than a preview of the game.  I lost interest quickly.  The Giantbomb guys go beyond just previewing a game, they entertain the viewer as well. "
Truest words of the day, right here.
Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Nomin

There are tons of 'Let's Play' threads on the Interwebs that are precursors to the video format iterations. GB Quicklooks are hardly original. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

Anything good will generally be copied by others. It's good to know even if giant bomb is small it is considered ground breaking by the flattering fact others are copying it.

Giant Bomb Quick Looks will always be the best though.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

Some German magazines/websites do quicklooks now too. On Gamestar.de (biggest German games magazine) they call it "public viewing".

Also, "HourONE" on Gametrailers is kinda the same as well.

But for me it's all about WHO is playing and in that regard no other outlet comes even remotely close to the GB crew. The original is still the only option for me. I have no time for cheap copycats and uncharismatic dudes.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nomin

Giantbomb should look to trademark their 'Quicklook' for real now. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mosdl
@Nomin said:
" Giantbomb should look to trademark their 'Quicklook' for real now.  "
Rename it Batmanlook
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

It would be cool if any of them were of comparable quality.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Makes sense to me. If a competitor does something, try to do it too. Only trouble is, I can't really think of any site where there's people that I really want to listen to talk about games besides GB. There are a couple guys from GameSpot or IGN that are all right, but GB always has been, and always will be, the best. 

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By striderno9

Well it's a great idea, I still think the thing that makes QL best on GB is the personalities behind it. We all know GB isnt a large super site, it doesnt have to be, we keep coming back because we like who writes for GB.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By GreggD

The only ones I actually watch other than QLs are GR's FAPs.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By VWGTI
@ryanwho said:
" It would be cool if any of them were of comparable quality. "
So damn true.
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adoggz
@RoyCampbell said:
" FAPping?  That's shameful. "
thats gamsradar.
DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DougQuaid

Not only Quick Looks, but IGN, Gamespot and even 1UP all now have member systems very similar to Giant Bomb's.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By I_smell
@CptBedlam said:

" Some German magazines/websites do quicklooks now too. On Gamestar.de (biggest German games magazine) they call it "public viewing".  "

I bet Public Viewing sounds a lot cooler in German than it does in English.

@Nomin said:

" There are tons of 'Let's Play' threads on the Interwebs that are precursors to the video format iterations. GB Quicklooks are hardly original.  "

I think Let's Plays are completely different things. They're usually of old games nobody plays any more, they're not made to inform you about the game, and they usually play the whole thing over like a hundred episodes. A Quick Look is literally a quick look at an upcoming games.

Also yeah, I'm interested in developers playin their games. I loved the audio commentary in the Orange Box, so if like- Irrational team did an Endurace Run of Bioshock, I might be really interested in that.
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Bollard
@Nomin said:
" There are tons of 'Let's Play' threads on the Interwebs that are precursors to the video format iterations. GB Quicklooks are hardly original.  "
Let's Plays are basically Endurance Runs, actually.
Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nomin

Well you could just say that Quicklooks are more or less one episode worth of an Endurance Run. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx
@Nomin:  Let's Plays involve playing the whole game (commenting generally, walkthroughs generally have no comments during the recording). 

A quick look is intended to show a new game and give a quick glance at what to expect from the game as well as hear comments from the critics on what they think about it. I find these very informative and help me to determine if I'll like the game. I don't get that from Let's Plays which are not generally made to give me a look at what a new game will be like (quite often they're made to show how "funny" the commenter is or how good they are or something).

While you are partially correct, this type of thing has been around a while, this is an iteration of that form made into a more informative piece. It's that informative piece that people enjoy... as well as the characters commenting on it admittedly.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam
@I_smell said:
" @CptBedlam said:

" Some German magazines/websites do quicklooks now too. On Gamestar.de (biggest German games magazine) they call it "public viewing".  "

Damn right. It's one of those phrases/words.
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By leebmx

Its about the people doing the quick looks. Anyone can stream themselves playing a game but I'd being suprised if I found another site that does it as candidly and amusingly as GB.

GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GreyFox

It's not amazing. it makes sense. Once business does something dood, I don't see a reason why others shouldn't adopt it.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Siphillis
@Nomin said:
"Let's Play" features are substitutes to actually replaying games, and aren't necessarily made for promotional or critical purposes, but rather nostalgia.  While a Quick Look lasts for roughly 10-20 minutes, LPs span an entire game.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By willin
@Siphillis said:
" @Nomin said:
"Let's Play" features are substitutes to actually replaying games, and aren't necessarily made for promotional or critical purposes, but rather nostalgia.  While a Quick Look lasts for roughly 10-20 minutes, LPs span an entire game. "
Oh so like an 'Endurance Run'?
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By bacongames

I say good for them because you know what?  The Giant Bomb audience is a small part of the larger community of game players that go to video game websites for editorial coverage.  I like to see it as the fruits of Giant Bomb's labor spreading to serve a much larger audience through imitation.  After all imitation is the highest form of flattery, and is a natural part of the economic life we live in.

@GreyFox said:

" It's not amazing. it makes sense. Once business does something dood, I don't see a reason why others shouldn't adopt it. "
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By Kibblez

The thing I like about Games Radar is that they're normally very vocal about their attitudes towards their work (at least on their podcast). They pretty much admitted that FAP was just a ripping off GB's quick look, it's just like following a standard nowadays.  

(plus, don't get too gung-ho over 'FAP' when 'TANG' exists!)

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrickRoad

Quick Looks are great, but Giant Bomb were not the first to show unedited playing of a game. However they really made it their own, and they're the best at doing so, currently.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Siphillis
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @Nomin said:
"Let's Play" features are substitutes to actually replaying games, and aren't necessarily made for promotional or critical purposes, but rather nostalgia.  While a Quick Look lasts for roughly 10-20 minutes, LPs span an entire game. "
Oh so like an 'Endurance Run'? "
Absolutely.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I_smell

In Let's Plays they don't say "Let's jump ahead" or "Let's just quickly show the multiplayer" or "How much is this?"

@Kibblez said:

" The thing I like about Games Radar is that they're normally very vocal about their attitudes towards their work (at least on their podcast). They pretty much admitted that FAP was just a ripping off GB's quick look, it's just like following a standard nowadays.   (plus, don't get too gung-ho over 'FAP' when 'TANG' exists!) "

Yeah the second series of TANG was called WUTANG.
and I like faps cos I love TalkRadar; same deal with Giantbomb.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Nomin said:
So it's only a matter of time until we see camcorder Quick Looks? Quick Looks with Unregistered Hypercam 2 logos?
Woodwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Woodwater

I think it'll still be a few years before people fully realize the impact quick looks have had on video game journalism/websites.

Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Swick

Actually humanizing the video game experience rather than just a dollars and cents analytical look really works well for both giantbomb and us.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jambones
@Nomin said:
I agree, but I think the quality of Giant Bomb's video production and the edutainment-style is what really sets them ahead of the pack. I think GB definitely had a hand in making it viable for the major network sites.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mnzy
@I_smell said:

" @CptBedlam said:

They don't use German words for it, they really call it "public viewing".
That's what we call those public events where thousands watch football matches together. Yes, also in English and yeah, it's not really an English expression.
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@I_smell said:
" GamesRadar started FAPping (FULL ACCESS PREVIEW) "
GamesRadar: keeping it classy.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreggD
@I_smell said:
@Kibblez said: 

" The thing I like about Games Radar is that they're normally very vocal about their attitudes towards their work (at least on their podcast). They pretty much admitted that FAP was just a ripping off GB's quick look, it's just like following a standard nowadays.   (plus, don't get too gung-ho over 'FAP' when 'TANG' exists!) "

Yeah the second series of TANG was called WUTANG. and I like faps cos I love TalkRadar; same deal with Giantbomb. "
Pretty much the same with me.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By animateria
@Siphillis said:
" @Nomin said:
I can't really agree with the whole nostalgia bit of LPs since most of what I've seen were new games (or relatively new games) being LPed.  
Trifork89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Trifork89
@ComradeKritstov said:
" @I_smell said:
" GamesRadar started FAPping (FULL ACCESS PREVIEW) "
GamesRadar: keeping it classy. "
Yea, almost as classy as Giant Bomb. Anyone for some TANG?
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Nomin said:
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

that is pretty funny how they stole that. i think giantbomb should copyright that.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By skyline7284

Yeah Kotaku does them as well... not nearly as polished though.  Called "Press Play".

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By OneManX

I say good, b/c like someone said in this hread, you will learn more about a game in the first 15-30-60 mins. Than you will reading an entire text review.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By frankxiv
@Nomin said:
lets play is closer to endurance run
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShaneDev

I really dont think they are on the same level as a GB Quick look though. The Gamespot one I watched was edited all over the place and they just kept awkwardly moving from one segment to another trying to ask and answer each question. I will say though that wasn't it Jeff that used to do the first hour videos back at Gamespot right before he left. I remember watching the first hour of Halo 3 in a very quick look style manner.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By DukeTogo

I wouldn't know since I don't go to other gaming sites.