Isn't it amazing how everyone does Quick Looks now?

• 80 results
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By FlipperDesert
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
" @Siphillis said:
" @Nomin said:
" There are tons of 'Let's Play' threads on the Interwebs that are precursors to the video format iterations. GB Quicklooks are hardly original.  "
"Let's Play" features are substitutes to actually replaying games, and aren't necessarily made for promotional or critical purposes, but rather nostalgia.  While a Quick Look lasts for roughly 10-20 minutes, LPs span an entire game. "
Oh so like an 'Endurance Run'? "
Pretty much. Some are text-based with images, and they tend to be for older games that would make more sense to be screencapped. Of course, they're generally pretty entertaining and the Something Awful forums is the place with the highest bar for quality on them.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By penguindust

I was surprised to see today that Massively, the Joystiq MMO site, has a live-stream channel on the site and a section where all those unedited videos are stored for visitors to watch at their own pace.  Like any Quick Look, they play the game as is with comments about what's going on.  They're not as funny as QLs, though.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@I_smell said: 
   @Kibblez said: 

(plus, don't get too gung-ho over 'FAP' when 'TANG' exists!) "

Yeah the second series of TANG was called WUTANG. "
Dumb-but-funny acronyms are one thing; naming a thing on your website after a slang word for masturbation - and not just that, but an internet slang word, so it's automatically kinda lame- is just patronizing and not all that funny. I mean, don't get me wrong, masturbation jokes can be great, but that's just... kinda stupid. 

Quick looks are what made me start coming here, and when done right they're an effective way of showing what a game is really like. Emphasis on 'if done right'.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By swamplord666

tbh, giantbomb isn't the first. jeuxvideo.com have been doing it since 2004-2005. here's shadow of the colossus gaming live 
edit: actually, I'm not sure about this, but i think I showed it to them way back when but never received a response. It's a great feature but they're not the innovators. As I'm sure jeuxvideo.com are not ether as i'm sure there are people who've done it before them. 

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Korne
@I_smell:  To be fair, Giantbomb wasnt the first to do this... I know Screwattack.com has been doing it for years, before Giantbomb was a thing.
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By face15
@adoggz said:
" @RoyCampbell said:
" FAPping?  That's shameful. "
thats gamsradar. "
I don't know what you are talking about, that is fucking hilarious.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Gizmo

Soon, other sites will copy Jeff's Nintendo Download Podcast.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By ch3burashka
@RoyCampbell said:
" FAPping?  That's shameful. "
No, it's hilarious. 

To be fair, the original Quick Looks were in the vein of the "Let's Play" series on Youtube. Then they added a bit of the ol' Giant Bomb magic and thus the Quick Look as it is now was born.
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59  Edited By me3639

I also noticed the quick looks on other sites, and what we are playing this week tags. I have to admit im enjoying the endurance runs/ quick looks of older games on game informer. I didnt think they could match GB's team, but watching them unable to figure how to save a game playing Overblood after playing for :40 and then dieing was pretty epic.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Evilsbane
@HatKing said:
" Giantbomb is the original, and best.  They're clever and funny.  The one I saw months ago on IGN, for Darksiders, was little more than a preview of the game.  I lost interest quickly.  The Giantbomb guys go beyond just previewing a game, they entertain the viewer as well. "
Yea this is my problem, Their videos just straight up are boring, just Showing the game isn't enough the GB crew entertains with good personality and witty commentary, I am frightful of the number of times alone I have watched the Noby Noby Boy QL...
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By I_smell
@MarkWahlberg said:

" @I_smell said: 

@Kibblez said: 

(plus, don't get too gung-ho over 'FAP' when 'TANG' exists!) "

Yeah the second series of TANG was called WUTANG. "
Dumb-but-funny acronyms are one thing; naming a thing on your website after a slang word for masturbation - and not just that, but an internet slang word, so it's automatically kinda lame- is just patronizing and not all that funny. I mean, don't get me wrong, masturbation jokes can be great, but that's just... kinda stupid. "
On the TalkRadar podcast they have pretty much this text, followed by WRONG BITCH, YOU LISTENIN TO TALKRADAR WWWWWOOOOOAAAAAAAAA then an avalanche of explosions and fart noises, then this, then a parody of Epic Mickey called "Ethnic Mickey", then give Heavy Rain the award for Steamiest Game of the Year based on it's rape scene.

It's the most dumbass-crude immature game site, and also the best.
EDIT- Besides Idle Thumbs
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Simplexity

Fakie Quick looks are impossible to follow with the most boring people ever doing them.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By vitor
@MaFoLu said:
" Aren't they with the developers of the game though? I haven't watched any of these except for Gamespot's "Now Playing" and I think that was with the developer. If that is the case, then they aren't really the same thing as original Quick Looks, but even then I think it's cool that QLs are catching on, as I think they are one of the most informative ways of letting the audience know how a game is. Also, Gamespot has achivement tracking, called Fuse... Like the fuse of a bomb... Maybe even a giant bomb... "
Gamespot had those achievements long, long before GB introduced them. While the GB crew were still working there in fact.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By TwoOneFive

they should have trademarked it or something shit... fuck these biters dude, need to hop of the GB pipe. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#65  Edited By JJWeatherman  Online

DudeDragsBench.com 

It sparked a revolution, that would save the world.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By PillClinton
@DougQuaid said:
" Not only Quick Looks, but IGN, Gamespot and even 1UP all now have member systems very similar to Giant Bomb's. "
yeah i noticed this too.  none of their implementations are nearly as elegant as Whiskey Media's though, and IGN's is downright awful, like most things on IGN i suppose. 

also, your avatar pic is fantastic.  been meaning to shop that onto the body of a detective in a trenchcoat haha. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By zeforgotten

Nothing "amazing" about it to me. 
I've seen it done before (just mostly without the witty commentary)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam
@Vitor said:

" @MaFoLu said:

" Aren't they with the developers of the game though? I haven't watched any of these except for Gamespot's "Now Playing" and I think that was with the developer. If that is the case, then they aren't really the same thing as original Quick Looks, but even then I think it's cool that QLs are catching on, as I think they are one of the most informative ways of letting the audience know how a game is. Also, Gamespot has achivement tracking, called Fuse... Like the fuse of a bomb... Maybe even a giant bomb... "

Gamespot had those achievements long, long before GB introduced them. While the GB crew were still working there in fact. "
Wrong. The middleware that tracks the achievements for them existed before, however they implemented it into their website way after GB did their achievement stuff. 

Also, to chime in with what the others have already told you: Let's Play's have absolutely nothing to do with Quicklooks.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By vitor
@CptBedlam said:
" @Vitor said:

" @MaFoLu said:

Gamespot had those achievements long, long before GB introduced them. While the GB crew were still working there in fact. "
Wrong. The middleware that tracks the achievements for them existed before, however they implemented it into their website way after GB did their achievement stuff.   Also, to chime in with what the others have already told you: Let's Play's have absolutely nothing to do with Quicklooks. "
Gamespot were handing out badges for user's actions since like 2005 (for stuff like watching the E3 coverage or what games you had on your collection page). The achievement system might be new, but GB didn't invent this idea, they just iterated on it.
DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DelroyLindo

Id enjoy QuickLooks a lot more were it not for the fact that I really dislike Jeff

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By AhmadMetallic

SHAMEFUL 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#72  Edited By delta_ass

I find Gamespot's "quick looks" to be the most mindbogglingly charisma-free zones. Just utterly joyless pap.

And Shaun McInnis needs to ask the Wizard for a personality. Cause he has none.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By dagas

If only sites like Gamespot could steal the great site design from GB. It's so easy and fast and most of all clean looking. I hate it when websites try to cram in a thousand different frames and flash and ads all over the place and force you to click on next page after every paragraph instead of just scrolling down. Sites should be as minimalistic as possible when it comes to UI.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DystopiaX

I love quick looks, but I think it's dumb how some people are saying GB should "trademark" this in some way. Dude, you're sitting down for like 15-45 minutes and talking about a game. It's not really that original or novel of an idea.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By l4wd0g

X-Play is doing the first 15 minutes. 
1UP does there weekly game thing (whatever it's called now, if they still do it).

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Castro
@me3639 said:
" I also noticed the quick looks on other sites, and what we are playing this week tags. I have to admit im enjoying the endurance runs/ quick looks of older games on game informer. I didnt think they could match GB's team, but watching them unable to figure how to save a game playing Overblood after playing for :40 and then dieing was pretty epic. "
I came in here to say the exact same thing. I've always wished that Giant Bomb would do more quick look throwbacks and Game Informer seems to have that covered. The Overblood Super Replay was amazing. PIPOOOOOO!!!!!
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Devil240Z

Even if Giantbomb didn't invent Quick Looks, which I would argue they did. They still made them mainstream.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell: I'm all for this. The Quick Looks are arguably one of the best, if not the best, aspects of the site. Other companies emulating them is fine; they'll never match the rapport that the Bombcrew have.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#79  Edited By Yummylee

Amazing!
 Amazing!
striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By striderno9

Yeah FYI it looks like Cheap Ass Gamer will be doing something similar to this also. It's pretty funny how everyone is jumping on now.