jakob187's Ten Favorites Games of All Time

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

FUCK!  I'll give in.  I'm not putting the damn things in any numerical order, though!!!  Disagree with my list all you like, because it's not going to be popular choices by any means.  However, these are all games that have shaped me into the gamer that I am today:

Featuring an incredible combo system, a beautifully rendered world to venture through, and a revamped version of the Parasite Eve combat engine, Vagrant Story captured my heart for a handful of reasons.  The first was that Ash the Riskbreaker's struggle felt like a great hybrid between Zelda's dungeon-crawling, that combat engine I mentioned from Parasite Eve, and a story that didn't try to overstay its welcome.  The second was a weapon creation system that allowed you to dismantle and reassemble your weapons, as well as forge new metals to make the weapons stronger, leaving an endless amount of possibilities for weapon and armor creation.  The third, and most important, was the replay value.  In order to even see 100% map completion on the game, you had to beat it three times.  INSANE by today's standards, Vagrant Story unfortunately got little attention due to the game releasing close to the launch of the PlayStation 2.

With the first Dark Cloud, Level 5 offered the PlayStation 2 a pretty stellar and undernoticed launch title.  As the popularity of the game grew over time, especially after hitting the Greatest Hits list, Dark Cloud 2 graced us with some of the best action-RPG gameplay to be seen to this day.  Offering again a deep weapon merging system, as well as expansive environments to journey across, the game revamped its Georama system to be a bit more specific rather than general and free-form like the first game.  One of the thing I enjoyed thoroughly about the game was its end-game:  a 50 level dungeon of awesomeness after you completed the game and loaded up your Game Clear Data.  Add in absolutely gorgeous graphics with unforgettable music and characters, and you have Level 5's masterpiece.  The company would end up going on to make Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII, two more amazing RPG games.

While the game came out on many different platforms, the Dreamcast version of this title is vastly superior in almost every way.  From decreasing frame rate issues to smooth textures and graphics (for the time, mind you), Shadow Man featured great atmosphere and even greater replay value.  As Michael, you used your voodoo powers to journey between Liveside and Deadside to solve puzzles, kill baddies, and collect stuff.  While there was a lot of backtracking, the environments were so interesting that it was difficult to argue with it.  Unfortunately for many, the Dreamcast version was hardly available at the time it was released, and the PlayStation version of this suffered greatly from being stuck in a 32-bit setup.  Thanks to a non-linear setup, memorable characters like Jaunty and Mama Nettie, Shadow Man is still a game that I revisit fairly often for a trip down memory lane.

Time to kick it old school, fuckers!!!  Ghosts 'n' Goblins was a game with one simple premise:  you play at a knight trying to get to his princess being held by a big demon dood over 8 levels of gameplay.  Here's the challenge:  you can only take two hits and then you're a dead man.  There's no saves, no continues...just the lives you have (which is minimal at any given time) and a possible checkpoint if you make it far enough in a given level.  The game is still tough as nails, but a lot of the difficulty is found in dealing with frame rate lag.  Once you take that into account, as well as the occasional "shit, I jumped too early" platforming...well, yeah, it's STILL tough as nails!!!  Upon beating the game, you don't get much more than a "gratz, you saved the day" followed by a game over screen, but beating this game is something worthy of boasting about (and also something I've never done...stupid level 4).

No Caption Provided

Shining Force II (Sega, 1994)

As Slade, you steal a couple jewels that end up resurrecting the demon king.  Yeah yeah yeah...the story to Shining Force II is pretty fucking cool, dealing with a lot of the classic types of Western conventions in turn-based RPGs - skeletons, demons, and general badass-ness.  What separates this game from so many is its well-programmed computer AI, deep combat mechanics, and the fact that you don't lose anything you've gained if an ally is defeated.  Essentially, it was one of the first games out there to not have a "game over" screen show up on you, making it a bit more accessible to new RPG players.  Still, old D&D fans can look at this game and find TONS of kickbacks to the way Western RPGs should be.  Unfortunately, Shining Force III on the Saturn only saw the first installment released in the U.S., and after that, the franchise went to complete shit.

No Caption Provided

The Suffering (Midway, 2004)

While this game was treated as just another "average" game by most of the gaming press, The Suffering featured a lot of elements that make me care about a game:  good atmosphere (and dark as shit too!), great gunplay, memorable characters and enemies, buckets of blood everywhere (including on yourself), and a hell of a rollercoaster story!  As Torque, you are accused of murdering your family and sent to prison.  Once the lights go out in prison, creature creations by the great late Stan Winston and evil bring the beast out in you...LITERALLY!!!  Why is this one of my favorite games?  Well, try this:  2am, pitch black in the middle of the country, brightness turned to damn near pitch black, and the only light you've got is either your flashlight (which never has enough batteries) or the muzzle fire from your gun.  Incredible.  The multiple ending setup plays into the game's sequel, which was also an excellent game.

No Caption Provided

The Darkness (2K Games, 2007)

Well-told stories are hard to find in most video games.  Either they are very cookie-cutter (JRPGs, I'm looking at you) or they are very stereotypical.  In the end, they rarely leave you FEELING anything.  The Darkness...is not one of those games.  Instead, it grabs you by the balls and features what is probably one of the GREATEST climaxes in gaming storytelling history.  It's one of the few times I've ever gotten red-faced pissed-off at a game and thought "I'm gonna kill that motherfucker".  As far as gameplay is concerned, Starbreeze tries to mix up gunplay with a little supernatural twist - you play as Jackie Estacado, who happens to manifest a "Darkness" (brilliantly voiced by Mike Patton).  This Darkness likes to eat hearts, lash out and kill whatever it can, and even helps you manifest little Darklings to aid in your killing missions.  Revenge is your motive, and it's oh-so-fucking-sweet!

No Caption Provided

Scud: The Disposable Assassin (SegaSoft, 1997)

This is one of my greatest guilty pleasures.  Was the game AMAZING?  Not really.  However, as odd as the Scud comics were, and as odd as the character himself was, the game itself is JUST as odd.  Scud was a unique game in that you could play it either one of two ways:  using a controller turned it into a 2D side-scrolling run 'n' gun game like Contra.  However, plugging up two light guns and going dual-wielding on that ass turned into a first-person on-rails shooting experience.  And what is the point of the game, you ask?  Well, Scud needs to keep the money flowing so he can make sure his last assassination target, Jeff, doesn't die in the hospital.  Otherwise...Scud will self-destruct.  Joined by his bottomless pit of a buddy Drywall, Scud was just a game that offered some pure, simple fun.

No Caption Provided

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (EA, 2003)

Back when the first PlayStation was around, I used to jam out on Hot Shots Golf like crazy with my brother.  We loved that shit!  It helped us build an appreciation for the game of golf.  When Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 came out, we played that motherfucker for a year and a half SOLID!  It never left our PS2.  I missed out on countless awesome games strictly because I couldn't get over the awesomeness of this one!  The level of character customization was something unseen in most games at the time (outside of perhaps the WWE games).  The courses were so dead-on and gorgeous.  The use of the right analog to swing was perfect.  All of the trophy balls and such in the game had the collector/completionist sides of me and my brother playing non-stop to get that last Eagle or that last Birdie that we needed.  When we weren't trying to excel at the single player, we were teeing off in the outstanding multiplayer.  GAME ON!!!

While the game gained its fame and notoriety on the PlayStation One, Soul Reaver was much like Shadow Man:  it shined on the Dreamcast.  The story of Lieutenant Raziel's fall from grace and revenge against Kain is one of the few times that I don't mind watching cutscenes, as the acting in the game was so damn awesome!  The entire worth of Nosgoth was well-designed and fully-realized, the boss battles were epic as Hell, and the game even helped bring a couple of staples to the action/adventure genre.  I remember when the game came out and people were touting how the game had "no load times", which was a big deal for the time.  It did have load times, but you were too busy watching the cutscenes to see the game loading in the background.  If you've never taken this trip to Nosgoth, it's definitely worth your time and effort...

So there you have it!  Those are my top 10 games of all time.  I know, I know...it's not a typical list.  I also know that I don't have a lot of the games that I'd like to put on there, like:

Freedom Fighters
Dead Space
Wall Street Kid
Back to the Future
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Virtual-On
Beyond Good and Evil
Gunstar Heroes
Clockwork Knight

...and so many more, but then again, you've GOTTA limit it to 10 eventually, right?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

FUCK!  I'll give in.  I'm not putting the damn things in any numerical order, though!!!  Disagree with my list all you like, because it's not going to be popular choices by any means.  However, these are all games that have shaped me into the gamer that I am today:

Featuring an incredible combo system, a beautifully rendered world to venture through, and a revamped version of the Parasite Eve combat engine, Vagrant Story captured my heart for a handful of reasons.  The first was that Ash the Riskbreaker's struggle felt like a great hybrid between Zelda's dungeon-crawling, that combat engine I mentioned from Parasite Eve, and a story that didn't try to overstay its welcome.  The second was a weapon creation system that allowed you to dismantle and reassemble your weapons, as well as forge new metals to make the weapons stronger, leaving an endless amount of possibilities for weapon and armor creation.  The third, and most important, was the replay value.  In order to even see 100% map completion on the game, you had to beat it three times.  INSANE by today's standards, Vagrant Story unfortunately got little attention due to the game releasing close to the launch of the PlayStation 2.

With the first Dark Cloud, Level 5 offered the PlayStation 2 a pretty stellar and undernoticed launch title.  As the popularity of the game grew over time, especially after hitting the Greatest Hits list, Dark Cloud 2 graced us with some of the best action-RPG gameplay to be seen to this day.  Offering again a deep weapon merging system, as well as expansive environments to journey across, the game revamped its Georama system to be a bit more specific rather than general and free-form like the first game.  One of the thing I enjoyed thoroughly about the game was its end-game:  a 50 level dungeon of awesomeness after you completed the game and loaded up your Game Clear Data.  Add in absolutely gorgeous graphics with unforgettable music and characters, and you have Level 5's masterpiece.  The company would end up going on to make Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII, two more amazing RPG games.

While the game came out on many different platforms, the Dreamcast version of this title is vastly superior in almost every way.  From decreasing frame rate issues to smooth textures and graphics (for the time, mind you), Shadow Man featured great atmosphere and even greater replay value.  As Michael, you used your voodoo powers to journey between Liveside and Deadside to solve puzzles, kill baddies, and collect stuff.  While there was a lot of backtracking, the environments were so interesting that it was difficult to argue with it.  Unfortunately for many, the Dreamcast version was hardly available at the time it was released, and the PlayStation version of this suffered greatly from being stuck in a 32-bit setup.  Thanks to a non-linear setup, memorable characters like Jaunty and Mama Nettie, Shadow Man is still a game that I revisit fairly often for a trip down memory lane.

Time to kick it old school, fuckers!!!  Ghosts 'n' Goblins was a game with one simple premise:  you play at a knight trying to get to his princess being held by a big demon dood over 8 levels of gameplay.  Here's the challenge:  you can only take two hits and then you're a dead man.  There's no saves, no continues...just the lives you have (which is minimal at any given time) and a possible checkpoint if you make it far enough in a given level.  The game is still tough as nails, but a lot of the difficulty is found in dealing with frame rate lag.  Once you take that into account, as well as the occasional "shit, I jumped too early" platforming...well, yeah, it's STILL tough as nails!!!  Upon beating the game, you don't get much more than a "gratz, you saved the day" followed by a game over screen, but beating this game is something worthy of boasting about (and also something I've never done...stupid level 4).

No Caption Provided

Shining Force II (Sega, 1994)

As Slade, you steal a couple jewels that end up resurrecting the demon king.  Yeah yeah yeah...the story to Shining Force II is pretty fucking cool, dealing with a lot of the classic types of Western conventions in turn-based RPGs - skeletons, demons, and general badass-ness.  What separates this game from so many is its well-programmed computer AI, deep combat mechanics, and the fact that you don't lose anything you've gained if an ally is defeated.  Essentially, it was one of the first games out there to not have a "game over" screen show up on you, making it a bit more accessible to new RPG players.  Still, old D&D fans can look at this game and find TONS of kickbacks to the way Western RPGs should be.  Unfortunately, Shining Force III on the Saturn only saw the first installment released in the U.S., and after that, the franchise went to complete shit.

No Caption Provided

The Suffering (Midway, 2004)

While this game was treated as just another "average" game by most of the gaming press, The Suffering featured a lot of elements that make me care about a game:  good atmosphere (and dark as shit too!), great gunplay, memorable characters and enemies, buckets of blood everywhere (including on yourself), and a hell of a rollercoaster story!  As Torque, you are accused of murdering your family and sent to prison.  Once the lights go out in prison, creature creations by the great late Stan Winston and evil bring the beast out in you...LITERALLY!!!  Why is this one of my favorite games?  Well, try this:  2am, pitch black in the middle of the country, brightness turned to damn near pitch black, and the only light you've got is either your flashlight (which never has enough batteries) or the muzzle fire from your gun.  Incredible.  The multiple ending setup plays into the game's sequel, which was also an excellent game.

No Caption Provided

The Darkness (2K Games, 2007)

Well-told stories are hard to find in most video games.  Either they are very cookie-cutter (JRPGs, I'm looking at you) or they are very stereotypical.  In the end, they rarely leave you FEELING anything.  The Darkness...is not one of those games.  Instead, it grabs you by the balls and features what is probably one of the GREATEST climaxes in gaming storytelling history.  It's one of the few times I've ever gotten red-faced pissed-off at a game and thought "I'm gonna kill that motherfucker".  As far as gameplay is concerned, Starbreeze tries to mix up gunplay with a little supernatural twist - you play as Jackie Estacado, who happens to manifest a "Darkness" (brilliantly voiced by Mike Patton).  This Darkness likes to eat hearts, lash out and kill whatever it can, and even helps you manifest little Darklings to aid in your killing missions.  Revenge is your motive, and it's oh-so-fucking-sweet!

No Caption Provided

Scud: The Disposable Assassin (SegaSoft, 1997)

This is one of my greatest guilty pleasures.  Was the game AMAZING?  Not really.  However, as odd as the Scud comics were, and as odd as the character himself was, the game itself is JUST as odd.  Scud was a unique game in that you could play it either one of two ways:  using a controller turned it into a 2D side-scrolling run 'n' gun game like Contra.  However, plugging up two light guns and going dual-wielding on that ass turned into a first-person on-rails shooting experience.  And what is the point of the game, you ask?  Well, Scud needs to keep the money flowing so he can make sure his last assassination target, Jeff, doesn't die in the hospital.  Otherwise...Scud will self-destruct.  Joined by his bottomless pit of a buddy Drywall, Scud was just a game that offered some pure, simple fun.

No Caption Provided

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (EA, 2003)

Back when the first PlayStation was around, I used to jam out on Hot Shots Golf like crazy with my brother.  We loved that shit!  It helped us build an appreciation for the game of golf.  When Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 came out, we played that motherfucker for a year and a half SOLID!  It never left our PS2.  I missed out on countless awesome games strictly because I couldn't get over the awesomeness of this one!  The level of character customization was something unseen in most games at the time (outside of perhaps the WWE games).  The courses were so dead-on and gorgeous.  The use of the right analog to swing was perfect.  All of the trophy balls and such in the game had the collector/completionist sides of me and my brother playing non-stop to get that last Eagle or that last Birdie that we needed.  When we weren't trying to excel at the single player, we were teeing off in the outstanding multiplayer.  GAME ON!!!

While the game gained its fame and notoriety on the PlayStation One, Soul Reaver was much like Shadow Man:  it shined on the Dreamcast.  The story of Lieutenant Raziel's fall from grace and revenge against Kain is one of the few times that I don't mind watching cutscenes, as the acting in the game was so damn awesome!  The entire worth of Nosgoth was well-designed and fully-realized, the boss battles were epic as Hell, and the game even helped bring a couple of staples to the action/adventure genre.  I remember when the game came out and people were touting how the game had "no load times", which was a big deal for the time.  It did have load times, but you were too busy watching the cutscenes to see the game loading in the background.  If you've never taken this trip to Nosgoth, it's definitely worth your time and effort...

So there you have it!  Those are my top 10 games of all time.  I know, I know...it's not a typical list.  I also know that I don't have a lot of the games that I'd like to put on there, like:

Freedom Fighters
Dead Space
Wall Street Kid
Back to the Future
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Virtual-On
Beyond Good and Evil
Gunstar Heroes
Clockwork Knight

...and so many more, but then again, you've GOTTA limit it to 10 eventually, right?
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Weird... This is EXACTLY how I'd imagine your list to be. Except with more Viewtiful Joe.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i loved the suffering, the darkness and legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG

I really like Vagrant Story, named it as one of my honorable mentions in my list. Also <3 Ghosts n Goblins. <3.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By inkeiren

I never finished dark cloud 2 but it was great. I'm definitely going to finish it this summer.

Lots of unexpected games made this a fun list to read. Nice list.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
Fr0Br0 said:
"Weird... This is EXACTLY how I'd imagine your list to be. Except with more Viewtiful Joe."
I love me some Viewtiful Joe, sir...but that would be on my "best games of all time" list...not "favorite games of all time" list.

P.S. - I just realized that I posted this in Off-Topic rather than General Discussion.  =  /
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

So, this is "favorite games", eh? OK, I knew it would be strange. I don't really have any disagreements with your choices, in fact, I loooved the Darkness. And the Suffering. It is just....different. And, you know what? That's good!!!!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn

I don't think The Darkness plays particularly great, but damn if it's not one of the most immersive games ever.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_

The Darkness, huh? Interesting.

I have not played Vagrant Story before. What I have found, though, is that my favorite jRPGs of all time have all come from the PS1, so I hope to dear, dear zombie jew in heaven that it comes out on the PSN for me to consume.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Tiger Woods... yes!!! The pinnacle of Tiger Woods was the 05 version, afterward analog control just became stale. That's my opinion though, even the PC version went downhill after 05. I know you don't prefer the Wii version, but the new Xbox 360 version is pretty good if not better in some people's opinion.

Shadow Man was rock solid in its day. It had curse words like shit, awesome. I played that game until my eyes bled.

You're a dark one my dear sir and it shows in your gaming favorites.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
RHCPfan24 said:
"So, this is "favorite games", eh? OK, I knew it would be strange."
...and that's exactly the point.  I'm not going to make a "jakob187's Top 30 Games of All Time", because that's implying that I'm some kind of omniscient being saying "these are the greatest games ever, and there is no disputing it".  I'm simply saying "hey, these are my favorite games, and if you are like-minded to my usual ideas and thoughts and shit...and you haven't played these games...then what the fuck are you waiting for?  you should check them out".  = D

Plus, I really kept sitting back and going "my God, people would flip at my list because it would have Scud: The Disposable Assassin and they'd think 'WTF IS THAT GAME?''  LOL

And Claude...I will say that 2005 was damn good as well...but the two were basically the same game with only minor differences (go EA, right?).  The biggest reason for 2004 being the cream of the crop is that the putting system of having to actually read the green well was so nice to use.  It didn't make putting a chore.

And then the fuckers went to a Hot Shots Golf-style putting system, which made me stop playing after 07...although I do play 07 every now and then on 360.  = D
KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By KnightsofRound

The only game on this list I've actually played is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS1) absolutely love that game, was actually the first PS1 game I ever owned or played.  Unfortunately I think the series went massively downhill to the point where I found Soul Reaver 2 somewhat disappointing, and couldn't even be bothered to finish Defiance, I just watched the ending on YouTube.  I really hope they do a Soul Reaver 1 Anniversary this year, like they did with Tomb Raider.

Out of the games I haven't played I really want to play Vagrant Story, Shining Force II, and The Darkness.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn

I'm sure SCUD's not that good a game, but I really want to play it, if only cuz the comic series is slick!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24
jakob187 said:

Plus, I really kept sitting back and going "my God, people would flip at my list because it would have Scud: The Disposable Assassin and they'd think 'WTF IS THAT GAME?''  LOL
"
I haven't played that one, haha. I will try it if you say it is that good...if I can find it. Wait, I don't have a Sega Saturn. Nevermind. Still, I like that it isn't the "these are the best games ever. period." list. It is adding a bit of variety to the latest GB fad:  Top 30 lists.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dalai

That list is very Jakobesque.

That is all.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187

Vagrant Story is my all out favorite game of all fucking time.  There is no game that tops it for me.  I love customizing shit and building shit (if you saw my Midnight Club 3 save file, you would understand...I own a SHITLOAD of cars, and I still load them up and just customize them all the time).  However, there's just so much to Vagrant Story.  It's one of those games that is like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to me:  no matter how many times you play it, there is ALWAYS something new in there.

Matsuno-san is, hands down, my favorite designer of all time as well.  Between Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII...I mean, that dood just couldn't do ANY fucking wrong.  Too bad he's not really doing much anymore.  I would DIE...DIE...... MOTHERFUCKING  D  I  E..... for a sequel to Vagrant Story.

Shining Force II is just an amazingly good RPG that has aged very well.  You can actually get that on either the Wii VC or on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (which is a great deal to start with).

The Darkness...man...just....OH!!!  FUCK!  That climax, man!!!  That shit gets at me every time I think about it.  It is SERIOUSLY one of those moments that just has you saying "NOOOO!!!  FUCK YOU!!!"  I think it was the same feeling that I had like whenever Jeff was playing through GTA IV the first time.  He said something about how he had to put the controller down and stop playing because of the moral choices and the shit it brought up to him.  The Darkness did the same thing for me.  That one moment, I had to pause the game afterwards and go smoke about a half a pack to calm the fuck down, I was just so distraught by it.  It really impacted me.

Funny enough...I just went and bought another copy of The Darkness today.  Gonna be playing through it again this week.  = D
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
Dalai said:
"That list is very Jakobesque.That is all."
This post is very Dalaiesque.  That is all.

Actually, it's not...

RHCPfan24 said:
"jakob187 said:
Plus, I really kept sitting back and going "my God, people would flip at my list because it would have Scud: The Disposable Assassin and they'd think 'WTF IS THAT GAME?''  LOL"
I haven't played that one, haha. I will try it if you say it is that good...if I can find it. Wait, I don't have a Sega Saturn. Nevermind. Still, I like that it isn't the "these are the best games ever. period." list. It is adding a bit of variety to the latest GB fad:  Top 30 lists."
By no means is Scud really a "good" game.  I remember when it came out, it was getting very average-to-below average reviews...like 5's and 6's.  However, I was a fan of the comic series, as were my buddies, and I refused to give into the PlayStation at the time (I was a Sega enthusiast).  This was just a game that was so weird and did a good job of following the comic series that I can never forget it.  It's still just super violent and super funny and crazy as shit.

It's like Aeon Flux in terms of weirdness - you just never know what's going to pop up.
insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By insanegamer

dark cloud 2 is awesome great list.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Sushbag

That's the best you got? That list reads like a guy who's worried we'll mock him if he puts a game more than ten people played on it. It's okay, you can say Ocarina of Time.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

BULLY isn't on that list? Dude.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
Sushbag said:
"That's the best you got? That list reads like a guy who's worried we'll mock him if he puts a game more than ten people played on it. It's okay, you can say Ocarina of Time."
I fucking despise Ocarina of Time.  I'm far happier playing Wind Waker, Link to the Past, or Link II.

Ocarina of Time...HA...you fucking kidding me?

What's worse is my roommate (the chick) is obsessed with The Legend of Zelda and everything that it involves.

And no, BoG, I have not played Minish Cap.

TooWalrus said:
"BULLY isn't on that list? Dude."
It's not on the list, but that game is really fucking sweet.  And yes, I get the reference to me being a "bully"... = P
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Coltonio7

Dark Cloud 2 is THE SHIT! My #3 of all time EVER!

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sushbag
jakob187 said:
I fucking despise Ocarina of Time.  I'm far happier playing Wind Waker, Link to the Past, or Link II.

No, I get it, you're too-cool-for-the-room guy, I understand. That's your niche, don't let me intrude.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
Sushbag said:
"jakob187 said:

No, I get it, you're too-cool-for-the-room guy, I understand. That's your niche, don't let me intrude."
*ugh*  /facepalm  I'm not even kidding.  I also hate FFVII (as I'm a fan of VI, IX, and XII) and I could give a shit less about the MGS games.

Sorry to disappoint you.  It has nothing with being "too cool".  It's strictly that I don't like them.  They are not fun to me.  They mean jack nor shit.

Also, this is a list of my FAVORITE games.  If I were making a list of my BEST games of all time...I could guarantee that it would be pretty Nintendo-rrific...
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sushbag
jakob187 said:
I could give a shit less about the MGS games.
Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who said Megadeth was better than or equal to Metallica? Yes it's coming back to me now, yes I remember now, you ARE the too cool for school guy! Yes! I mean don't be offended I'm not bashing you, it's perfectly fine to want to be the guy who doesn't follow the rules and conform, I get where you're coming from. Of course, if it were me trying to be different and edgy, I probably wouldn't say a few of the best video games ever made mean "jack nor shit," but maybe that's your style, and that's cool baby. I mean, and again this is if I WAS doing the too-cool-for-the-room angle, I also wouldn't deny that I was trying to be too cool, since I would be, you know, doing it, but whatever dude whatever floats your boat.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

Two guys arguing on the internet... now that's too cool for the room.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
Sushbag said:
"jakob187 said:
I could give a shit less about the MGS games.
Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who said Megadeth was better than or equal to Metallica? Yes it's coming back to me now, yes I remember now, you ARE the too cool for school guy! Yes! I mean don't be offended I'm not bashing you, it's perfectly fine to want to be the guy who doesn't follow the rules and conform, I get where you're coming from. Of course, if it were me trying to be different and edgy, I probably wouldn't say a few of the best video games ever made mean "jack nor shit," but maybe that's your style, and that's cool baby. I mean, and again this is if I WAS doing the too-cool-for-the-room angle, I also wouldn't deny that I was trying to be too cool, since I would be, you know, doing it, but whatever dude whatever floats your boat."
Yep, I remember saying that Megadeth was = to Metallica.  I also happen to love Metallica, and I even remember mentioning that in many other threads.  Sooo...I don't really know where your issue lies.  Maybe while I'm in this so-called "too cool for school" camp, you're in the "Gabriel's Internet Dickwad Theory" camp?

But enough laying into each other and being internet dicks...

I made the list because they are my favorites.  They are games that I go back and play time and time again more than any other.  I don't know what to tell you other than sorry you felt the need to throw out a douchebag question like "that's the best you got" when this isn't about the best games ever...but rather, games that I consider my favorites.

P.S. - I am too cool for school.  = D
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

To be honest, the only game in your top 10 I've ever played is The Darkness. However, I found it to be TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME. Another gem by Starbreeze that has been overlooked by too many. If you have a 360 or PS3 and haven't played it, GET TO IT, SUCKAH.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

Screw you man! I was gonna do a top ten...just in a different style. But still!

I am surprised that your list is filled with games that refer to darkness or light.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By atejas

That's an....interesting list.
I hear good things about the LoK series, but I can't get any of the fucking games to run on my comp.
Also Shining Force 2 <3.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok

Shining Force 2 is the shit dipped in awesome covered in sprinkles of win.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By REDRUN
jakob187 said:
The Darkness...man...just....OH!!!  FUCK!  That climax, man!!!  That shit gets at me every time I think about it.  It is SERIOUSLY one of those moments that just has you saying "NOOOO!!!  FUCK YOU!!!"  I think it was the same feeling that I had like whenever Jeff was playing through GTA IV the first time.  He said something about how he had to put the controller down and stop playing because of the moral choices and the shit it brought up to him.  The Darkness did the same thing for me.  That one moment, I had to pause the game afterwards and go smoke about a half a pack to calm the fuck down, I was just so distraught by it.  It really impacted me.
I am actually curious about The Darkness now. To come and think of it, I think I was affected by FEAR 2...

*SPOILER ALERT: (possible)
At the end of FEAR 2, I was debating to play the final battle again better prepared. Maybe have some lotion and tissues near by... then I ask myself "would that make me a necrophiliac"? Then I shrug my shoulders.

* FRAP FRAP FRAP
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

Thank you for reminding me about the Suffering.  Back before Condemned had us rolling bums in dark alleys, the Suffering brought us deep into the dark corridors of the prison from hell (no, not Oz).  That game was creepy, uber-violent and had me questioning my character's morality.  Am I the good guy or the bad guy? 

A somewhat forgotten gem.  I never got around to the sequel, but the original was an "A" ticket, for certain.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm shocked by the amount of people calling The Darkness immersive. That game felt empty to me and 100% worthy of the £5.99 price point I got it for. I could never imagine paying £40 for that game.

What did everyone find so compelling about the story?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BoG

Jakob doesn't like Metal Gear!?!?! Oh my.

Don't look at my top 30.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RandomHero666

Oooh, ShadowMan and Soul Reaver.. brings back delightful memories

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Tiger Woods '04 is the defining Tiger Woods experience. I played the living shit out of that game. It was damn near perfect. I briefly played '05 and '06, and eventually bought '08, but the new additions (putt preview, 3-click swinging) make the game a bit too easy.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By REDRUN

I am surprised any of the Oddworld games are not on the list.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb

Dude! Legacy of Kain and The Suffering getting some recognition. Good stuff.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Xandurson

Hmmm...good list but your names were better lol.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187

I'm back from my two days of amazingness off work!!!  So, to reply to a couple of these comments...

There are three major components that made me fall in love with The Darkness (SPOILERS):
  1. Mike Patton's AMAZING and spine-tingling vocal performance for The Darkness.  There was no one else that could've done that good of a job.  It's easily one of the best voice acting performances in a video game that you'll ever hear.
  2. Halfway into the game, when Paulie and the cop (can't remember his name to save my life right now) kill Jenny.  That's not only one of the best climaxes in the game, but the way that Jackie struggles while The Darkness forces him to sit back and watch the love of his life get slaughtered where they grew up is HEART-WRENCHING.  It's like watching Robin Williams in What Dreams May Come see his wife in Hell, and she doesn't know who he is and he can't save her.  I mean, the whole level, you can TELL it's going to happen from them showing you everything between Jenny and Jackie when they were kids growing up in the orphanage, but man...if that part doesn't grab you, you have no fucking soul!!!
  3. They went for a different type of shooting game where you had all this extra stuff to do, and while the level design was very barren and kind of confined (especially the city)...there was a lot of style and setup to how they made the game look the way it is.  Starbreeze are amazing at both telling a good story and offering unique atmospheres.
Unfortunately, the game does suffer from stiff controls, terrible multiplayer, a feeling of outdated graphics (and coming from Starbreeze, there is NO reason for that), and bad animation.  However, all of the problems with the game are purely aesthetic and don't cripple the gameplay so much that it's something you just can't play.  It's definitely not a game to get at full price.  I had rented it originally and didn't actually buy it until last week, which was only $15.  Still, it's amazing to see how well a story can be told in a game like THAT...and yet Halo fails in the single player story so much in all three of their games.  Grand, epic tales cannot be summed up in 4-5 hour campaigns.  =  /

On the topic of the LoK franchise...personally, the first Blood Omen and Soul Reaver are the only ones worth PLAYING.  The story that spans the entire franchise is pretty damn amazing, BUT...

Well, Soul Reaver 2 featured some of the most inanely boring cutscenes ever due to the background loading feature...and the game itself just wasn't as tight as the first Soul Reaver.  They added to much to it.  Meanwhile, Blood Omen 2 featured a CRIPPLING glitch in it that wouldn't let you go past a certain point (on Xbox, I believe...I think PS2 was fine...but I never played it on PS2).  It also wasn't as interesting as the first Blood Omen, but maybe that's because the original Blood Omen featured a top-down nostalgic view...and it was made by Silicon Knights (whom despite their constant "failure", I still like their work).  Defiance...well...let's just pretend that DMC clone never existed, k?

The first Blood Omen also happens to feature one of the longest load times ever:  the pause screen.  Just pausing the game is, like, a 2 minute load...and going to your inventory screen...well, you might wanna take the dog for a walk.  lol

The Suffering was badass if solely for the fact that Torque could get drenched in blood (something many other games FAIL to do...offer interaction with the character from the events that just took place)...and then I could stand under a shower head, turn it on, and it would wash off of me.  I remember how impressed I was with that.  The second game, The Ties That Bind, was a much tighter game...but the atmosphere just didn't feel the same.  Where The Suffering felt like a nightmarish real world...The Ties That Bind tried to justify Torque's innocence and took away some of that "morality questioning" that made the first one so damn sweet.

And yeah, I guess my list does focus heavily on a huge contrast between light and dark.  The thing that I think most of the games on my list include (except Tiger Woods) is this idea that a good guy doesn't necessarily have to be clear cut.  There's something unsettling to me about a mobster hit man being a good guy, or a former vampire being a good guy...or even a voodoo-cursed sociopath being a good guy.  Meanwhile, if you look at the lighter games like Dark Cloud 2 or Vagrant Story, they are a very EXTREME side of good.  There's just some...THING...about that contrast to me.