• 70 results
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By giyanks22

Kevin Van Ord, an editor on gamespot, or Mr. "I like this game, but I don't like it, but I gave it 6.0, but I like it."  gave Star wars the Force Unleashed a 7.5, but fails to explain why...He says "These Force Powers are extremely cool."  "The physics systems work great for most of the game....but then he says, "The Force Unleashed's open world Force Powers stray away from the strong physics system for most of the game...WTF is wrong with him most means more than fifty percent....there can't be two mosts. He doesn't even explain the controls, or how it is in comparison with other Star Wars games, or anything that the awesome Giantbomb reviews go into. I just hope Brad, Ryan, or Jeff can give a good and detailed review.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Psynapse
giyanks22 said:
I just hope Brad, Ryan, or Jeff can give a good and detailed review."

Have they dissapointed you so far? I think not!

TFU looked like an OK game... Not a great one... And the reviews have kind of reflected that so far.
I played the demo and although it was cool to be able to throw storm troopers and the like a hundred meters, it seemed like an old formula to me... I guess its just 'Star Wars'... I'm over it... But we'll see what Brad, Ryan or jeff think about the game!
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mattbodega

Keven Van Ord is humanity's last, best hope for progress. He's probably one of the best game critics out there now.
I think I bought, and agreed with, every single game he recommended during 2007.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

It sounds like he made sense to me. Especially since I'd agree with his ME and AC scores.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kmdrkul
giyanks22 said:
"Kevin Van Ord, an editor on gamespot, or Mr. "I like this game, but I don't like it, but I gave it 6.0, but I like it."  gave Star wars the Force Unleashed a 7.5, but fails to explain why...He says "These Force Powers are extremely cool."  "The physics systems work great for most of the game....but then he says, "The Force Unleashed's open world Force Powers stray away from the strong physics system for most of the game...WTF is wrong with him most means more than fifty percent....there can't be two mosts. He doesn't even explain the controls, or how it is in comparison with other Star Wars games, or anything that the awesome Giantbomb reviews go into. I just hope Brad, Ryan, or Jeff can give a good and detailed review."
I didn't read the actual review, and likely disagree with everything the clown said, but that seems like a fair score for the game. 
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zityz

Yea, that mans reviews are a rollercoaster sometimes. Oh well.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elbow

I'm really interested in this game, but I just can't see myself dishing out 60 bucks for it... maybe when the price goes down I'll get it.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By albedos_shadow

Sadly, Van Ord is the last decent reviewer left at GS.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brukaoru
Psynapse said:
"TFU looked like an OK game... Not a great one..."
I agree with this, even after playing the demo, I think it's just an "okay" game.
Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Riddler
albedos_shadow said:
"Sadly, Van Ord is the last decent reviewer left at GS."
Jason Ocampo? or is he gone too
TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TheGamerGeek
giyanks22 said:
 I just hope Brad, Ryan, or Jeff can give a good and detailed review."
Oh, and Vinny can't write a detailed review?Shame!Riddler said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"Sadly, Van Ord is the last decent reviewer left at GS."
Jason Ocampo? or is he gone too?
I think he's on IGN now.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By jeff
MattBodega said:
"Keven Van Ord is humanity's last, best hope for progress. He's probably one of the best game critics out there now.
I would like to second this. It was a pleasure working with Kevin because you always knew any review he turned in was well-considered and well-written. Seriously, dude is solid and definitely deserves more respect than he seems to be getting lately. You might not always agree with everything he has to say, but that doesn't make him wrong, either.
(And I'm in the middle of writing a Force Unleashed review right now, in case you're wondering. Should be up today.)
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DualReaver

7.5 is exactly what I expected. The game was good, but I didn't find it to be anything special.
A good rental at most for me.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steve_C

I've always found kevin to be incredibly honest in his reviews, and for that i trust his opinions.

I don't know why you can't understand him when he says the force doesn't work as well in smaller enclosed areas.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fucking seriously.  I'm giving a negative rating to every post that embeds/quotes the embedded Journey song.  It is irritating as hell.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By AlexB

IGN gave it a 9.5 review as well. It seems that Gamespot has had very similar reviews to IGN lately. Perhaps they are scared to make an honest review after "The incident". That's what I've noticed at least, maybe its just a coincidence.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
AlexB said:
"IGN gave it a 9.5 review as well. It seems that Gamespot has had very similar reviews to IGN lately. Perhaps they are scared to make an honest review after "The incident". That's what I've noticed at least, maybe its just a coincidence."
IGN did not give it a 9.5
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By mattbodega
dcpc10 said:
"Riddler said:
"Jeff said:
"MattBodega said:
"Keven Van Ord is humanity's last, best hope for progress. He's probably one of the best game critics out there now.
I would like to second this. It was a pleasure working with Kevin because you always knew any review he turned in was well-considered and well-written. Seriously, dude is solid and definitely deserves more respect than he seems to be getting lately. You might not always agree with everything he has to say, but that doesn't make him wrong, either.
(And I'm in the middle of writing a Force Unleashed review right now, in case you're wondering. Should be up today.)
"
5.5????
5 point fucking 5????????? Common jeff.......common now.......
"
dude, did you even read what jeff said: ''You might not always agree with everything he has to say''

and besides, it's called an opinion. Alot of ppl got mad at Jeff for his review of Twilight Princess, buts thats simply beacause they had a dfferent opinion, not because Jeff isn't an amazing writer/VG reviewer."
I think Riddler was referencing the language of Kevin Pererra's video blog. Jeff said that watching that video, along with talking to Kevin about the reaction to Too Human, was what prompted the creation of the 2 Human video.
At least, I hope it was a classy, obscure reference.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure

I am not going to say I hate the guy or anything (I mean jeez, no need to hate someone for their opinions) but I swear I am on the exact opposite of most of his reviews. It has mostly gotten to the point where I know I will enjoy a game he scores lower. Most of his higher reviews I disagree with, and the lower I disagree with. It is really weird to me sometimes... *shrug*

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheHBK

I can't wait to read Jeff's review.  But you guys should lay off critiquing everyone's reviews so harshly.  Kevin gave AC a 9 and I thought it was only an 8 but the game was mixed in reviews overall.  At least he goes into explaining what he liked and didn't like.  I mean a game like SWTFU can be hard to review because you got cool force powers and physics but this doesn't make for cool gameplay.  So i guess its a give and take, watching stormtroopers die and suffer is fun, but doing it is not.  And when he says the physics work, that means the physics work and when he says the force powers dont go with the physics, it just means its not so easy and fun to use the force powers when you consider what promise the physics engine has.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By pyromaniac

I think you know why gamespot is shit now

PeeDeeFlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeeDeeFlo

Everyone has their own opinions, this guy is just retarted, but personally I liked Assassin's Creed much more than I liked Mass Effect. That's just because I'm not an Rpg kind of guy.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By GalvanizedNails

I feel the game deserves a 7.5. I actaully like Kevin and I highly doubt its his fault that he can't go into more detail, so try not to trash talk someone if you dont know the whole story. Just my two cents.

Nails

dendoofer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By dendoofer

I'm with the guy who said the thing about Kevin's Mass Effect score being too low and his Assassin's Creed score being too high. But I think he did a pretty good job with the TFU review.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By whackmypinata
dendoofer said:
"I'm with the guy who said the thing about Kevin's Mass Effect score being too low and his Assassin's Creed score being too high. But I think he did a pretty good job with the TFU review."
Everybody is going to look for something to disagree with, unless the reviewer is Jeff. Jeff is praised and loved, and we all know why.
You all need hurry up and go, go to vietnam!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dalai

I always thought The Force Unleashed was going to be a solid rental at best.  I would like to see the Giant Bomb review to verify my statement, though.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By insanejedi
Riddler said:
"Jeff said:
"MattBodega said:
"
5.5????
5 point fucking 5????????? Come on jeff.......come on now.......
"
Hey! it's Kevin Pereira! Really? Comeonnnnn!
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kmdrkul

GB review up.  3/5 stars.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demyx

I was just gonna rent or not even the game.

But my dad is a star wars nerd, so maybe he'll buy it for me.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

I really don't like Kevin's reviews.  He gave Mass Effect an 8.5.  That is pathetic.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By duxup

I thought Kevin's review was very clear and easy to understand.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

its just  a review.  It's just a general idea.  Besides length and certain things, a demo will fill you in.

dont take it so seriously

Just for the record, I cant say I agree with VanOrd much- Blue Dragona  a 6, LO a 7.5, Mass Effect a 8.5, Assassin's Creed a 9.0.... hmm...

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zitosilva

Weird, I didn't know Van Ord was hated this much. I just watched the Star Wars review and thought it was pretty good. He made perfect sense to me, and the score made sense with what he said. I think there is way too much hate towards people that think differently, it's just one opinion know.

GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GalvanizedNails

why do you guys hate kevin so mch? He can review games far better than most of you, his reviews are his opinions, not yours. Hes a good guy, so find someone else to hate

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
dcpc10 said:
"zitosilva said:
"Weird, I didn't know Van Ord was hated this much. I just watched the Star Wars review and thought it was pretty good. He made perfect sense to me, and the score made sense with what he said. I think there is way too much hate towards people that think differently, it's just one opinion know."
yeh, i dont see how he's such a ''bad reviewer'' =\ like some ppl are saying"

it's because of his JRPG scores.  He admitted on his blog that he doesn't like them in general. So uh... why are you reviewing it?
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Why are people celebritizing game critics? This is stupid.

"Jeff G does AWESOME reviews! I can't wait to read those amazing critical words on video games I probably won't buy!"

Why don't you read a book if you want literature?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevin seems like a swell guy and I always enjoyed him when he was on Tournament TV, but I've thoughly hated every one of his reviews I've read.
Granted I haven't visited Gamespot in months and the last review of his I read was Condemned 2, so he may have improved exponentially since then.

As for Force Unleashed, I can't pass up the ability to Force throw people around. Hell, Lift/Push biotics was one of the reasons I enjoyed Mass Effect so much

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GiantGUS
SmugDarkLoser said:
"dcpc10 said:
"zitosilva said:
"Weird, I didn't know Van Ord was hated this much. I just watched the Star Wars review and thought it was pretty good. He made perfect sense to me, and the score made sense with what he said. I think there is way too much hate towards people that think differently, it's just one opinion know."
yeh, i dont see how he's such a ''bad reviewer'' =\ like some ppl are saying"

it's because of his JRPG scores.  He admitted on his blog that he doesn't like them in general. So uh... why are you reviewing it?"
Since when do you have to LIKE a genre to review those games?

I've been working for two years writing about games and in none of the magazines I wrote for there was the requisite of liking the genre of the games you review. You have to understand what games on that genre do and what the game you're reviewing has set out to achieve inside that genre. But what counts most is you experience with the game. So if a reviewer doesn't like JRPGs and you do his review will be useful to get a different point of view. But it seems you people only like reviews that agree with what you thought of a game or what you wish the game is like.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By duxup

People make way too big a deal out of it when they just disagree with a review.  I read reviews that I disagree with from time to time.  That doesn't make the review or reviewer bad or wrong.  A bad review is one that doesn't get its point across or doesn't provide any value to the reader(s).  As for those people who absolutely love a game or genera and are going to buy it no matter what, I think you're looking at reviews the wrong way if you're just expecting reviews or reviewers it to be some sort of echoing chamber of your own thoughts.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mikevanpwn

Yeah Van Ord's reviews are always confusing.  I remember his Metroid Prime 3 review was bogus. Two of the bad's were also the goods.  Boring boss fights yet exciting boss fights.  An average sequel that did nothing for the series yet it was a great sequel that brought something new...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hamz

Kevin Van Ord is one of the best game reviewers to exist at the moment and having spoken to him personally during most of Gamespot's E3 live coverage show i can totally agree with Jeff in why KvO is an amazing reviewer. His knowledge of games is vast and detailed and his way with words is amazing and he knows how to write up a good review, and by good i mean in regards to the way its written. Honestly i consider him to be one of, if not the, strongest reviewer on Gamespot at the moment. And should he ever leave Gamespot i hope to god GiantBomb snap him up and employ him because KvO has some serious solid reviewing skill.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By clubsandwich

I don't really like his reviews, hell, I don't even like Jeff's reviews but I'm still here.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By calf_exercises
KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By KingOfIceland

His MP3 review was the only review I thought was flat-out BAD, mainly because it was a bit of a cluster f***. But he's made great strides and even if I practically worship Mass Effect I think 8.5 fits perfectly, because that game had some serious problems. And I don't think he's the only one who gave AC a high score (gamepro: 10, gamesradar: 10, Play mag: 10, game informer: 95)

And I'd rather trust a review I know I always dis/agree with than some dude who gave this game a 7/10 and I have noooo idea whether he and I have the same interest and dislikes

so yeah, don't be hatin'

quezcatol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By quezcatol

Kevin sucks.

he gave Lost odyssey 7.5,Blue dragon a 6,Too Human a 5.5 and Mass effect 8.5
If he like to be harsh and way under gamerankings then fine but dont be bias about it you dumbfuck,MGs4 10/10?

ye right,.

GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GalvanizedNails
quezcatol said:
"Kevin sucks.

he gave Lost odyssey 7.5,Blue dragon a 6,Too Human a 5.5 and Mass effect 8.5
If he like to be harsh and way under gamerankings then fine but dont be bias about it you dumbfuck,MGs4 10/10?

ye right,."
reviews are opinion, not fact. If you think you can write better than him then go get a job at a site. Mass effect is a awesome game, but it had some major problems as well. 8.5 is a fitting score.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rowr

My opinions generally differ from Kevins, but he is still a decent reviewer and seems like a nice guy, I dont think all this hate is very fair.

RHCPfan24 said:

"I really don't like Kevin's reviews.  He gave Mass Effect an 8.5.  That is pathetic."
without you explaining why, I cant even tell whether you think the score is to high or to low.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By guiseppe

I haven't had much difficulties with KVO's reviews, if anything I feel that they are a tad too personal at times and it's sometimes hard to make the "should I or shouldn't I" call from them. That said though, the only time where I've strongly disagreed with him is the Assassin's Creed review.