Kotaku: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short.

• 91 results
muthachugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By muthachugga

The length isn't that big a deal to me. But the price for that length seems off a little. And, the real problem lies with when will the rest of MGS5 come out? I'm worried that the length of time it takes it to come out will render Ground Zeroes as a prologue pointless. If it's gonna be another year, then they should of just made Ground Zeroes a standalone Metal Gear experience.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#52  Edited By MightyDuck

@elyhaym said:

Eh, I'll wait for it to be inevitably bundled to TPP at a more reasonable price. Still need to finish MGS3 HD and Peace Walker HD anyway.

That sounds like the way to go. I can't justify $30-40 for a 2 hour experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the series, but just can't justify that.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By pr1mus

@yummylee said:

@pr1mus said:

After being so bummed by MGS4 and Peace Walker this is actually a cool way to get a taste for MGSV without having to commit 60-70$ first.

It's funny that you say that, because in the UK the PS4 physical version is going for around £33-£37, which is the equivalent of around $55- $60. And that's only the physical version; digitally, as is the way over here, it should go for £45-£50 at least.

How much are full retail games going for normally in the UK? Here depending on the platform and digital/retail differences GZ would cost between 33%(last gen digital) and 66%(current gen retail) of a full priced game.

BTW 40$ for something that is probably a fraction of what is going to be a 60$ game is insulting. 20$ is a fair price. 30$ is pushing it already but 40? Hell no!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@pr1mus: Physical versions of full-price PS4/X1 games are usually going from around £45-£50. Unfortunately that's to be expected, though what annoys me more than the current high price of games is the low price of games in the US! With inflation and all of that jargon to account for, game prices are technically the cheapest they've ever been over there.

PS3/360 prices are still going by the norm of £35-£40 at least, but I'd rather not hafta buy any more games for either of those things. Only two definite games left for me on there is Tales of Symphonia Chronicles and Dark Souls II. Oh, and the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us episodes.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@yummylee: So this GZ thing is actually barely cheaper if at all than the full game is going to be in the UK? This is madness.

We do have some pretty good prices here. Even with talks of games going up to 65-70$ in Canada i still remember the days of 80$ PS1 and 90-100$ N64 games back in the days when minimum wage was about 60% of what it is today.

Also, you forgot TLoU DLC. :P

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Going to buy it anyway because I am a sucker! Also that Snatcher DLC. Come on now.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'd like to get on my high horse and say I would wait for a price drop, but I know myself better than that. I'm obsessed with Metal Gear, and I know I can't resist.

It doesn't mean I won't feel a little bad about helping to support something that now seems like it was motivated almost entirely by money, and not Kojima wanting to let the fans play part of the game sooner, as I had believed. But that's what I get for being naive.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It seems odd, as it is being sold separately, but I'm sure people will still pick it up. It sounds like it's a fine length for the intro portion, like MGS2's tanker level. But at that price, instead of as a demo, it just seems weird.

Hopefully it comes with 6 hours of side quests. ;)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Also, you forgot TLoU DLC. :P

Oh God, you're right! Of course! Yes, that is most definitely still situated on my PS3 shopping list. And there's definitely still a gap between both GZ and Phantom Pain, even if it's not quite as vast as it is between the GZ $30 and PP $60. But I guess this is just the way of things I suppose... It's still early goings, though, so hopefully things will get to be a little more reasonable at least on the digital side as the generation goes on. Either that or I only buy games new that I simply can't do without, which is to be honest the sorta spending mentality I should have adopted long before this generation even began >_>

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Queue imminent quality over quantity threads and discussions.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, depending on how big the download is gonna be, I might get it on digital. If it's like 30GB I'll probably just pay an extra $10 to buy a physical copy. Two hours is not unexpected, but a little disappointing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yikes, hope that isn't true. That sounds terribly overpriced.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

So how long is it if you take all of the game's content into account and don't just critical path it?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

So how long is it if you take all of the game's content into account and don't just critical path it?

I guess since it wasn't a final version of the game, they couldn't give a solid estimate of that. All they seem to know is that the main quest portion was complete; so, that's what they judged the time off of.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@hailinel said:

My guess would be 4-5 hours with relaxed casual play probably 90 minutes if you're being speedy about it. Some of the trophies give a bit more insight into the side missions.

Disembodio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah but look how many pads Konami added to the drumset this time!

No Caption Provided

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Vextroid

I'm still buying it. I'm gonna end up playing it multiple times anyway, finding everything, trying different tactics (completely stealthing it, guns blazing and a mixture of both) etc. There is a physical western release for next gen consoles right?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MGS4 is like 5 hours of gameplay tops.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#70  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Anyone who wasn't planning to play through this a billion times anyways plays games differently from me, and I'm sure with the side missions, which they specified they did not play and thus did not include in the runtime, it's a decent bit longer. I've probably played through the Tanker portion of MGS2 like forty times, so I'll probably play through Ground Zeroes at least a dozen times before Phantom Pain even comes out.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is so short then why making it a separate thing? sure is a tease for what the real game is going to be but I really don't see the point even if it was 4 to 6 hours without rushing it.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By wallee321

Seems like a couple of important AAA releases are coming out in the next month or so:

Thief - Can it succeed after a poor E3 showing and then adjusting itself based on the feedback they received from gamers and the games media? If it succeeds, it could allow developers to fight back against publishers forcing certain elements into games, that nobody wants.

Titanfall - Can an online only competitive multiplayer game succeed, without a large bash-lash for not having a single player campaign. I worry if Titanfall gets a way with this, that more AAA games will try to 'justify' cutting out single player campaigns. I like these campaigns in Gears games, Battlefield games or CoD in a dumb summer popcorn blockbuster kind of way. I don't want AAA to be about only competitive shooters with screaming 12 year olds, stoners, misogynist, and racists.

Ground Zeros - This should provide at least 4 - 6 hours of main gameplay, or at 2 hours be priced at more appropriate price of $15 - $20 download. I won't buy it at full price if it is only 2 hours of main gameplay. I don't think we should encourage AAA that it's okay to try and sell their games for $80 - $100 before they even start offering dlc purchases. Something like Dead Rising 2's Case Zero ($5) would be much more appropriate, than this cash grab attempt.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Quarters

I honestly am surprised that some people are freaked out about this. It's the Tanker from MGS2, all over again, just like it always seemed like it would be. This is exactly what Kojima originally wanted for MGS2(as well documented in multiple sources), but the distribution system wasn't in place for something like that back then. Now, it is. Plus, it isn't like MGSV is coming out in a few months. TPP will probably be late 2015, at best. I'd rather pay for this than have nothing at all. The difference between this and the Tanker back then, is that this will likely be exclusive content, whereas the demo of most of the Tanker was included within the main game, therefore giving it a reason to cost money(though I will agree that the price is a little much).

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By miko1222

@heyguys: If you were a Metal Gear fan - or a hardcore fan at that - you would go for the game for mere narrative, and we MGS fans know Hideo Kojima is a heck of a writer. And he's basically spearheading Ground Zeroes. I've preordered a copy for myself, for 60 Australian dollars. Go for it. It'll be worth your money.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a couple of important AAA releases are coming out in the next month or so:

Thief - Can it succeed after a poor E3 showing and then adjusting itself based on the feedback they received from gamers and the games media? If it succeeds, it could allow developers to fight back against publishers forcing certain elements into games, that nobody wants.

Titanfall - Can an online only competitive multiplayer game succeed, without a large bash-lash for not having a single player campaign. I worry if Titanfall gets a way with this, that more AAA games will try to 'justify' cutting out single player campaigns. I like these campaigns in Gears games, Battlefield games or CoD in a dumb summer popcorn blockbuster kind of way. I don't want AAA to be about only competitive shooters with screaming 12 year olds, stoners, misogynist, and racists.

Ground Zeros - This should provide at least 4 - 6 hours of main gameplay, or at 2 hours be priced at more appropriate price of $15 - $20 download. I won't buy it at full price if it is only 2 hours of main gameplay. I don't think we should encourage AAA that it's okay to try and sell their games for $80 - $100 before they even start offering dlc purchases. Something like Dead Rising 2's Case Zero ($5) would be much more appropriate, than this cash grab attempt.

Pssst. You forgot one.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna pay it, even though I don't like it. I gotta save Paz man, I gotta...!

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Before I make decision, I wanna know about the replayability, i.e. how long and how many times I can approach the main and extra missions before it becomes stale (e.g. no more challenges, etc)

I love MGS series, especially Peacewalker, where you can replay the extra missions until you get S rank on each. Maybe Ground Zeroes is similar to Peacewalker? Or maybe not, who knows. I will wait for the quick look.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wallee321 said:

Pssst. You forgot one.

No Caption Provided

No, important releases.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@wallee321 said:

Pssst. You forgot one.

No Caption Provided

No, important releases.

Well, obviously you're talking about Lightning Returns then.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Pre-order cancelled

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The main campaign is 2 hours long but that doesn't include side missions, collectibles, or challenges. I also don't think the 2 hours include cutscenes and conversations. If you skipped all the cutscenes in MGS then you could go through that thing in about 3 hours...

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@yummylee: It's currently £28 on Amazon (PS4 Version).

So yeah, probably around £35-£40 if they do the usual digital mark-up.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza: Nice, thanks for pointing that out. Though I still don't have a PS4, but it's comforting to see that the high prices of current-gen games will sometimes tend to drop as they get closer to release. Sometimes, anywhoo.

Too bad shopto for whatever reason isn't following the trend. They used to be God Tier of the online shopping world for video games, and now their prices are often ballooned over the norm. GTAV is still being sold for £42.85 over there...

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By thatdutchguy

2 hours ? lol, Nope.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Technically the game is not even 2 hours.. since (presumably) those 2 hours will be in the full game. So it's like paying 40 dollars for nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably be skipping it, around 2 hours to do the main mission and then there is only five side missions? Unless each side mission is nearly as long as the main mission, I have my doubts I can justify the price tag for myself.

Also I read that Konami testers have been speed-running the main mission in 5 minutes! So how much of those 2 hours for the main mission is just watching cutscenes and how much is actual gameplay?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest gripe about GZ is that they are billing it as a tutorial which is almost always the lame part of these AAA games.

However, I would totally be willing to pay $30 for a next-gen downloadable-only game that last two hours if it were a complete experience. I happily paid $20 for Gone Home and I've bought a whole bunch of short games for $15. If I didn't have to worry about sitting through long winded cutscenes and the normal Kojima bombast, I would totally be okay with this.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I remember when people didn't have a raging erection for price vs length. I hate what Kotaku has done to people.

RAGING

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. This has been compared to more than once to the tanker chapter in MGS2 and similarly that can be cleared in like 5 minutes also if you know what you're doing. Heck, I've done it myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. This has been compared to more than once to the tanker chapter in MGS2 and similarly that can be cleared in like 5 minutes also if you know what you're doing. Heck, I've done it myself.

Fair enough. And who knows what kind of weird trick you might have to pull off in order to finish it in 5 minutes.

If the comparisons to the tanker chapter in MGS2 is accurate, then I just hope that Ground Zeroes is packed into the Phantom Pain - I can't imagine most people would have been happy back then if they had sold the tanker chapter separately and not had it included in MGS2.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Darji

Gameinformer talks about Ground Zeroes. It was a very interesting video. They talk about what you can do what they experienced and also about the price. They also compare it with budget games and Dead Rising 2.

Loading Video...

Also It seems to be very very very grim and maybe the most shocking thing you have seen in a MGS so far. Perfect introduction for Phantom Pain. They seem excited^^