Might be a good time to buy a video card in the next few days.

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ianmarkx

So, bitcoin tanked today and is still falling. Keep an eye out on ebay in the coming week or so for some of those "gently used" cards showing up at a decent price.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why would anyone want a thrashed GPU?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hayt said:

Why would anyone want a thrashed GPU?

This exactly. I mentioned this in another post but buying a used GPU is not something I ever recommend. You never know how they *actually* used it, even if its said "lightly used". Forget Ebay, keep an eye on nowinstock and you can probably find one a bit lower now brand new. Especially if you are able to actively have the page open in a tab and monitor for alerts. I realize not everyone's schedule allows for that and that could be a hindrance of my above suggestion.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cliffordbanes

What's the state of the thermal paste, capacitors and fans on those GPUs after running at 100% load 24/7 for 6 months at an unknown and possibly elevated ambient temperature? Is the GPU at 50% or 80% of its rated lifespan? How long can you use the GPU before it fails?

Unless you're getting a really low price it makes more sense to buy new since it's hard to verify how close a used GPU is to the end of its lifespan.

ianmarkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ianmarkx

To each their own. Newegg has 6gb 1060's "on sale" at $399 right now..... asus 192bit

r3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By r3k
@cliffordbanes said:

What's the state of the thermal paste, capacitors and fans on those GPUs after running at 100% load 24/7 for 6 months at an unknown and possibly elevated ambient temperature? Is the GPU at 50% or 80% of its rated lifespan? How long can you use the GPU before it fails?

Unless you're getting a really low price it makes more sense to buy new since it's hard to verify how close a used GPU is to to the end of its lifespan.

This 100% this. As a miner myself, do not buy cards from miners, even if you find it for cheap, you will not get the performance you want out of the card and most likely will end up having to buy another one.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ianmarkx: It tanked and is already on it's way back up. But more importantly, the quality of the cards you might get from a miner getting out of the game is going to be very, very questionable.

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@ianmarkx: I bought this exact card new off a Fry's shelf for $279 last February. I have not seen a 1060 in a store since that day, and I could sell my card (never mined, never even OC'ed) for $100 profit today. It's nuts.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Horrible advice to buy used cards that may have been used for mining.. likely even.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

How much does a 1080ti that has had it's BIOS flashed and then been ran at maximum capacity 24/7 for months on end even go for?