• 138 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

Having recently finished Darksiders, the game's Quick Look just comes across as horribly misrepresentitive of the game as a whole. The majority of the video is fighting through challenge rooms, which are easily some of the worst parts of the game, and they only happen very early on.

Anyway, what are some games you don't think were accurately represented by their Quick Look?

BTW, just to make it clear, I'm not making this as a way of besmirching Quick Looks; I just thought it would be interesting to see what games people thought didn't get their due because of a misleading QL.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

The beginning of Sniper Elite played by people who don't like sniping is not a great showing of that game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Any Quick Look in which the guys blatantly ignore tutorials that explain basic gameplay concepts and then go on to complain about how the game doesn't do the thing that the tutorial told them about.

Muramasa, for example.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HerbieBug

The Fez Quicklook was recorded at an inappropriate juncture of Jeff's experience with the game.  He had played enough to know the platforming aspect was shallow but not enough to actually understand what the game really is about.  It does the game a disservice.  That game either needs to be quicklooked by someone who hasn't played the game at all or knows everything and can subtly hint at the depth without spoiling it.  Granted Fez doesn't really lend itself to the format no matter the experience of the person presenting it. 

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ketchupp

The Dungeon Defenders one probably. I super enjoyed it and the quick look was somewhat negative about the game since they really didn't spend enough time with it beforehand.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

Nier fo sho

they played through the worst part of it. Even starting the game from the beginning would have been preferable.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

@Hailinel said:

Any Quick Look in which the guys blatantly ignore tutorials that explain basic gameplay concepts and then go on to complain about how the game doesn't do the thing that the tutorial told them about.

Muramasa, for example.

This. It's my only real complaint about GB.

I do love when it's really their first time playing, though, as opposed to them pretending to not know how the game works for the sake of filling us in.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

Well, the challenge rooms are a large portion of the game (being that they are how you release the curses on the big dudes blocking the way forward every once in a while) but ya the quick look didn't really show enough of that game.

I tried playing it twice. Once on PS3 and another time on my computer. It's got cool ideas that it ripped off, but I've never been able to finish. That crazy boss at the beginning is the coolest part. For me it goes downhill after that.

The challenge rooms don't help either.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By shivermetimbers

The Silent Hill: Downpour quick look comes to mind.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

Oh, I almost forgot, about the Amnesia QL. They completely ignored how the game should be played. Yes, I know, I shouldn't complain about people "playing it wrong", but Frictional Games make it very clear about what kind of experience they are trying to deliver with the game.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

There was that weird glitch in DJ Hero 2 that caused the game to lock up if you had 100 Xbox Live friends. Happened a couple of times in the Quick Look, if I recall. It did not look good.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

@BeachThunder said:

Oh, I almost forgot, about the Amnesia QL. They completely ignored how the game should be played. Yes, I know, I shouldn't complain about people "playing it wrong", but Frictional Games make it very clear about what kind of experience they are trying to deliver with the game.

To be fair, if they played it "properly", it'd have no commentary.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@shivermetimbers said:

The Silent Hill: Downpour quick look comes to mind.

Still haven't watched that... probably never will. I think the comments, and the proceeding bombcast discussion Patrick brought up, filled me in enough of what the QL was like. I think some QL comments said that Patrick outright tells people ''not to buy this game''?

I've noticed that he's actually put a lot more time into now, though, after some added persuasion which is appreciative. Very curious to hear his current thoughts in the next bombcast.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benpicko

The Minecraft one.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ReyGitano

Considering how many they've done, and how they go about it (sometimes just jumping into a game not knowing what's going to happen next) I'm surprised they come out as good as they do.

It might be smarter to do a quick look after carefully finding a segment of the game to show... but I like them taking the risk. It's worth it when comedic gold is sometimes the result.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By JazGalaxy

I don't get people who get offended when someone says s.oeone is playing a game wrong. I mean, there are right and wrong ways to play a game. There are right and wrong ways to do anything. I mean, is someone goes " you know how you keep saying hot dogs are good? well I bought a package and shoved them up my butt and I didnt care for it" then guess what? They did it wrong.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

There are a lot of those. Sometimes it's comedic, and sometimes it's just aggravating and you realize that neither you nor the staff playing it come out of the QL any more informed. However, the worst kind has already been stated:@Hailinel said:

Muramasa, for example.

Yeah. This.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grimluck343

@Hailinel said:

Muramasa, for example.

So most of the quick looks?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

None.

Cause it's a videogame that they play and I like videogames when it's relaxed and they don't have a bunch of stuff to go through. Just playing what they play.

Fun Fact, the ones where the guy has played the entire thing and is explaining everything to the person next to them are the most boring ones for me. It feels like a PR demo preview at that point I can get anywhere else.

Maybe you guys would enjoy it more if you stopped worrying someone's not going to buy/like a game you enjoy because the guys did the quick look wrong.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Bocam

@Yummylee: According to his twitter, he finished Downpour. So beware of spoilers on the next bombcast.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Dany

When neither have played the game beforehand.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@Bocam said:

@Yummylee: According to his twitter, he finished Downpour. So beware of spoilers on the next bombcast.

Is that a universal message, or directed at me specifically? Because I already completed Downpour, and all I've been doing since is praising the thing, trying to counter all of the negatives Patrick has strewn about ;P

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Man, it never ceases to amaze how touchy people get at the idea that people might not like something they do.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clonedzero

i just rewatched the red dead one, brad kept guessing about game features. he was talking about how he was "pretty sure" there was crafting in the game lol

the more open and RPG type games tend to be the ones they get hte most wrong in. straight forward action and shooter games are usually spot on though.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm not entirely sure if I'd call it misrepresentative, but the SotC part of the ICO and SotC HD quick look made me want to do...Bad things to Brad.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Turambar

The Etrian Odyssey 3 one comes to mind immediately.  Lets spend half the QL filling in one single line on the map, in the only area section of the game that needs a complete map to progress, and fail to show any degree of exploration, the whole point of the game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

Jeff barely got to show off Infinite Space during its Quick Look because he forgot about the fatigue bar and that you have to stop and rest on planets occasionally. So he reached a boss fight at maximum fatigue, and as a result his action meter filled up like 4 or 5 times slower than it should have, and the fight was impossible.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

The Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts add-on, where, instead of putting your items into the chest that the NPC tells you about, they just dump all their items on the floor then comment that having to do that is dumb.

Yes it was dumb, not for their reason though.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

@Clonedzero: Oh god, the uncharted 3 quick look with brad is terrible, he doesn't know anything about anything that he was doing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Brendan

Things like paying attention to tutorials would be great, but many of these problems are inherent to quicklook design. Without certain flaws (jumping in without prior knowledge, showing certain parts of the game that aren't always the "best" parts [see first problem]) what can also make them great couldn't exist to the extent that it does now either if they were attempted to be "solved".

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By me3639

@Dany said:

When neither have played the game beforehand.

Yes, totally. If they aren't interested, why do think i should be? Or maybe somebody DOES want to see a QL with commentary on how the game plays, not just the first level.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

MineCraft, Jeff didn't really do much other than mess about with lava and grief Brads house. Sure it was a good quick look, but didn't really show off to people what Minecraft is really like.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany

@Brendan said:

Things like paying attention to tutorials would be great, but many of these problems are inherent to quicklook design. Without certain flaws (jumping in without prior knowledge, showing certain parts of the game that aren't always the "best" parts [see first problem]) what can also make them great couldn't exist to the extent that it does now either if they were attempted to be "solved".

1 should have played the game enough to know a lot about it. The other person should know little and ask questions. That is what makes a great quick look.

The Walking Dead quicklook was kinda bad IMO because both have played it and were talking over everything and not speaking about the game, just about telltale, garry whitta and the tv show.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Flawed_System

Don't really have any Quick Look complaints. Thought they did a pretty good job with the games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BisonHero

@Dany said:

The Walking Dead quicklook was kinda bad IMO because both have played it and were talking over everything and not speaking about the game, just about telltale, garry whitta and the tv show.

That's the sort of game where I wish the GB guys were a commentary track I could just turn off, because I straight up didn't give a shit what they were talking about (which is rare, in all fairness). Like, just let me watch the game and see the quality of the writing. It's a hard game to Quick Look, though, since it's basically all cut scene. They have to choose carefully when it's appropriate to talk. It certainly didn't help that it was Patrick and Ryan, who are both chatty as fuck.

The Vinny/Dave combo on the Back to the Future Quick Look is the kind of Quick Look duo you need for a Telltale game/adventure game.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadyPingu

At times it's disappointing when the guys don't put in the work... but in general, such are the pros and cons of the quick look. Regular video content covering a variety of games at the expense of a deep understanding of many of them.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Zippedbinders

@dekkadekkadekka said:

The Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts add-on, where, instead of putting your items into the chest that the NPC tells you about, they just dump all their items on the floor then comment that having to do that is dumb.

Yes it was dumb, not for their reason though.

This has been the only time I have actively called bullshit on the staff. "HEY, LET ME MAKE FUN OF THIS GAMEPLAY MECHANIC I DON'T LIKE. MAN, THIS MECHANIC SURE IS DUMB, LET ME DO A DUMB THING TO PROVE WHY THIS GAME IS DUMB BY DOING A DUMB THING."

I usually like Patrick, but god jesus, way to look like an asshat. On second thought, him being so actively dismissive of Downpour also rustled some jimmies.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

Pretty much everything, but I'm OK with it. A limitation of playing stuff on camera in a small chunk.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#40  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Basically every Quick Look covering a current release ever. Doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable, but it gets annoying a lot.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tamaster92

It kinda pissed me off how the handled the vita launch - they got loads of facts wrong and super misrepresented it. Still - they easily make up for it with other content

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of Quick Looks are somewhat misrepresentative, but it comes from the nature of the Quick Look. Which is both the best and worst thing about the Quick Look.

It means that they often just show us a random portion of the game, going in and just experiencing the game without planning the entire Quick Look out before they start. This of course often goes sideways...

The real problem is their attitude towards the games, often just rushing past tutorials and then blaming the game when they can't figure the next part out.

Sniper Elite V2 was a prime example of a bad Quick Look: Take people who don't like sniping in games, make them play a game that is all about sniping, and then have them rush past the tutorial without paying too much attention.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I didn't like the Serious Sam BFE quicklook

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Tamaster92 said:

It kinda pissed me off how the handled the vita launch - they got loads of facts wrong and super misrepresented it. Still - they easily make up for it with other content

Yeah it's apparent the whole crew kind of doesn't care about the vita, but then again, they never really covered the 3DS that well either, so maybe they just don't like handhelds in general. In that case, I can rationalize.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By ESREVER

I didn't think Castlevania: Lords of Shadow got a fair representation that it deserves, but oh well. Iknow the game is boss, so its all good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch GB quicklooks simply for entertainment value personally.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zaglis

-So, how much is this game and on what platforms? 
-I dunno.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By Kierkegaard

@DarthOrange said:

"You saw I was holding the grab button!"

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-the-collection/17-4764/

Yup. That was probably the silliest moment I've seen in a while.

But, I'm torn. The comic, spontaneous nature of quicklooks is what makes them often funny and fascinating. I guess I'll sacrifice a lot of back ground knowledge for that. However, skipping tutorials just to make the gameplay more interesting, thereby making the gameplay less interesting, is stupid. Just start the quicklook after you've studied the button layout/tutorial. Unless it's a live event, you can edit quicklooks, at least when they begin, without jeopardizing the format.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By rjpelonia

Having a blind playthrough can be fun. And it can also be infuriating. I believe it works mostly with a game that is just either shovelware/a terrible title. But when there's a big title or even a game that seems interesting, I want to know as much as I can about it. When they either have nothing informative to say or simply give out false information, it's aggravating. I don't want to be angry over a simple video, but there are times when all I want is my favorite video game website to tell me about video games. Case in point: Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta. The quick looker is just completely ignorant about all the cool features and changes to the game. Then there's Vinny asking all these great questions, which god bless him for trying, but sadly most if not all them simply get answered with a shrug. Now that I think about it, I'm finding this mainly seems to happen with one particular editor. Now I don't want to name names...

But that's totally what I'm going to do. It's Brad. Brad is the worst offender.

And on occasion Ryan, but mostly Brad. On top of the misinformation, Brad is often times just incredibly hesitant or just outright stalling when performing a simple action in the game, which usually sends himself into a brief panicked state. It's almost like he's way too careful about not dying that it actually gets in the way of what could be an enjoyable gameplay video. And then there are moments where he is the opposite; he becomes careless and then blames it on the game, but this annoyance tends to come more from Ryan than Brad.

Alright, this just turned into a rant. Point is, it's a bummer when it happens. Wish it didn't, but hey, what can you do.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By spazmaster666

Since I don't come to a quick look to know what the gameplay is like (I have youtube and other websites for that), I don't really care about how well quick looks misrepresent games or not since that's not the point for me. I'm really more interested in being entertained by a quick look then to find out objective information that's pretty much available on many, many other sites. So no, unrepresentative quick looks don't upset me since, c'mon it's video games. I try not to get upset about video games in general.