MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MethodMan008

Hello friends.

Any of you fighting game enthusiasts watch the MLG stream? From following Art on twitter, it sounds like the MLG stream hasn't gone so well..

What you guys think?

I've been watching NCR all day, and while it really bums me out that Ultradavid and James Chen didn't commentate AE, NCR has still be a fantastic event.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

@MethodMan008 said:

Hello friends.

Any of you fighting game enthusiasts watch the MLG stream? From following Art on twitter, it sounds like the MLG stream hasn't gone so well..

What you guys think?

I've been watching NCR all day, and while it really bums me out that Ultradavid and James Chen didn't commentate AE, NCR has still be a fantastic event.

Haven't checked out the MLG fighting game stream specifically but I have been watching SCII (with membership) and the quality has been excellent overall, no problems. MLG have come a long way from even a couple years ago where you'd pretty much be guaranteed that the stream would be shit quality and go down every event.

That being said if you don't pay the default quality is terrible.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

NCR all the way. It ain't a fighting game tournament without the Capcom games, Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur just don't compare.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ares42

The MLG stream hasn't exactly been great... I don't know what they were thinking when they set this stuff up. 3 completely different games on a single stream, with the biggest star being MK (which is a sideshow in any other fighting game event). Then ofc it's the traditional MLG stuff of constant breaks and silly side-commentary. Should've just run a single tournament of UMVC3 and have constant action like any other fighting-game stream, even if it would only last for one day.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

@DystopiaX said:

@MethodMan008 said:

Hello friends.

What you guys think?

Haven't checked out the MLG fighting game stream specifically but I have been watching SCII (with membership) and the quality has been excellent overall, no problems. MLG have come a long way from even a couple years ago where you'd pretty much be guaranteed that the stream would be shit quality and go down every event.

That being said if you don't pay the default quality is terrible.

Actually, they've bumped up the free quality this time around. Sure it isn't -great-, but it is better than the free GOMtv stream. The Low is horrible, but you set it on Mid for free and it looks fine.

I've actually been really pleased with MLG SCII this time. Only had one snafu during the Idra vs Polk match. Other than that, it has gone great. I wish Day9 was on the main stage more often, but Tastosis do a fine job. :)

Their new interface works decently, as well.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MethodMan008

@Sooty: Totally agree with that sentiment.

Combofiend was doing some cool looking stuff on KoF though. :P

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

The MLG Fighters stream is fucking terrible (and this is an MK guy talking). One first-to-3 set followed by 5-10 minutes of commercials. It's ridiculous. I get that the need the sponsorship and that's why they have ludicrous pots, but there's so little to actually watch.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MrMazz

Yea sticking with NCR the games at MLG just don't interest me asside from KOF.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jkuc316

MLG had an awesome KOF Commentary(The Answer and Juiceboxx), but NCR has more good games. I'd say NCR now because KOF XIII is done( Sad Mr. KOF didn't win)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011

NCR for sure.

MK9 isn't like the 4th act at most fighting game tournaments so it's weird MLG is focusing so much on it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty

@MethodMan008 said:

@Sooty: Totally agree with that sentiment.

Combofiend was doing some cool looking stuff on KoF though. :P

KOF looks pretty fun, unfortunately I quit fighting games now because of no local people to play with and online play just being annoying, put my Qanba up on eBay early! I have another arcade stick I can get out if I really want to play them again.

A sad day. I just don't have the time to spend hours on these games at a time anymore, in addition to the above. Will still be keeping up with the streams.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

KOF and Soul CAlibur have been hype at MLG

NCR for the rest

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scarace360

NCR all the way! I came to watch games not commercials.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jkuc316

@Sooty:No arcades near your place? Btw what model is the Qanba?

@SlightConfuse: MK has more hype in MLG because it has more good players there. But for me, Watching MK = 0 hype.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

The New California Republic will never be defeated.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By FLStyle  Online

@MethodMan008 said:

Hello friends.

What you guys think?

You got the wrong impression from Art's Twitter.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sooty

@jkuc316 said:

@Sooty:No arcades near your place? Btw what model is the Qanba?

Hell no, I can travel 40 minutes every 2 weeks on a Sunday to play with a group of people for like 5 hours in the evenings but basically every weekend for me now is spent with my girlfriend so that kind of rules that out.

Not worth the effort to travel just to get good at a video game for me anymore! If I had a local group of people that were like a 20 minute walk away I'd be all for it in my spare time though.

I have the Q4-RAF, it's the original one that works on 360/PS3/PC.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By GreggD

@fisk0 said:

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I'm out of town so I couldn't watch either of the streams. Has the MLG stream really been that bad? Is this worse the 8.95?

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MethodMan008

@FLStyle: I'm just talking about the fighting game MLG stream, but yeah.. hasn't gone so well so far. =/

Oh well, it's there first one, so I'm sure they will learn from this and improve.

Ryalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryalm

Is it wrong that my first thought was that the New California Republic would totally kick the MLG's ass?

@fisk0 said:

Seems I am in agreement.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkuc316

Hey btw, Ben was on NCR, so NCR automatically wins!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FLStyle  Online

@MethodMan008 said:

@FLStyle: I'm just talking about the fighting game MLG stream, but yeah.. hasn't gone so well so far. =/

Oh well, it's there first one, so I'm sure they will learn from this and improve.

I disagree and if that's what you got from Art's Twitter then and I stand by my earlier comment.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jack268

Doesn't MLG only have KOF and MK? That's pretty damn boring compared to UMVC3 and SFxT, IMO.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jkuc316

@Jack268: it also has SCV, but IMO KOF>UMvC3 and SFxT

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MethodMan008

@JJOR64: From what I have been hearing it has been an advertisement fest.. At the beginning they were doing ads between rounds. :O

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@Ryalm said:

Is it wrong that my first thought was that the New California Republic would totally kick the MLG's ass?

@fisk0 said:

Seems I am in agreement.

But... what's the MLG? The Master's Legionaire, obviously. Super Mutant Centurions sound fucking scary.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Winternet

If anyone want to follow MLG Starcraft II come and join www.giantbomb.com/chat. There's no actual stream going there, but at least we can chat about it and discuss it.

FightTest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FightTest

Didn't even realize there was a FG stream at MLG. Haven't watched much NCR either due to first day random players and lack of decent commentators.

I'll take some top tier FG players and Ultrachen over SC2 but I'll take top tier SC2 players and Tastosis over some randoms commentating randoms.

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By countinhallways

You know what? I actually think the MLG stream has been really, really promising.

As the days have progressed they have been ironing out some of the more egregious issues (ads after each game in a best of 3 for example) and I think they are approaching a good formula.

The lack of a crowd has been a real bummer but is not surprising. Same weekend as NCR and with only 4 weeks notice? Never going to get a large turn out in that scenario. But I really do think that with a hype audience, the presentation MLG put on could be very entertaining. It puts more focus on the players and the game themselves than on the stream monsters or major scene personalities and I think this can be a good thing (if it can co-exist with the normal scene that is). Also the WWEsports style interviews are amazing. Even the interviewers (particularly 995 Phil and the Soul Calibur dude) are perfect Mean Gene Okerlund stand-ins.

That TriForce interview with 995 Phil? Fucking amazing in all the ways that old wrestling promos used to be. I was half-expecting someone to come from the back and hit TriForce with a folding chair. Fuck knows there were plenty of those freely available...

If MLG can co-exist with the traditional FGC tournaments, as in avoid further scheduling conflicts, then I will be more than happy to keep watching. Besides, seeing KOF and Soul Calibur get proper attention is fantastic. MLG provides an environment in which these games are not overshadowed by the Capcom stuff as they usually are at other majors.

All that being said, I still don't enjoy watching competitive MK at all. At all.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FLStyle  Online

@countinhallways: Agreed, it's been a good event that could've been a lot worse, I've enjoyed it. Getting Arturo on board has proven to be the important factor here. The guys he's picked to cast and do guest commentary have been great.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jkuc316

@FightTest: One 1st day random player was Ben, the Summer 2011 GB intern

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By yukoasho

@Sooty said:

NCR all the way. It ain't a fighting game tournament without the Capcom games, Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur just don't compare.

Hilariously, I went to NCR because of SCV and KoF. Nofacekiller's comeback in the SCV finals is the stuff of legends. I'm not a Capcom fanboy. It's just that you could tell the MLG people don't know fighting games.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By huntad

I've never watched a MLG fighting game stream. I had no idea that they did that.

Also, Ultradavid and James Chen make the experience 10x better.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yukoasho

@huntad said:

I've never watched a MLG fighting game stream. I had no idea that they did that.

Also, Ultradavid and James Chen make the experience 10x better.

True that.

Unfortunately, Aris makes the experience 10x worse. I don't know why they let that slob commentate SFxT pools and Soul Calibur top 8 at NCR.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Branthog

@MethodMan008 said:

Hello friends.

What you guys think?

Is MLG even a real thing? The only time I ever see the letters "MLG" are when I'm playing online and 85% of every retard under the age of 20 has it as their avatar icon, along with classifying themselves in the "PRO" section of XBL.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By huntad

So, I haven't watched a lot of MLG since Halo was their main game played at their events. Is this still the case? It seems that there is a lot of SC2 played now, and now I know that they stream fighting games?

I'm just wondering what MLG is up to these days, and which games they focus on.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By yukoasho

@Branthog said:

@MethodMan008 said:

Hello friends.

What you guys think?

Is MLG even a real thing? The only time I ever see the letters "MLG" are when I'm playing online and 85% of every retard under the age of 20 has it as their avatar icon, along with classifying themselves in the "PRO" section of XBL.

Heh, they're quite real. Thankfully the actual MLG isn't as douchbaggy as the people on XBL.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By ethan_raiden

MLG doesn't have spooky, so I don't watch MLG

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

NCR was hype, MLG was shit.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By renmckormack

I think that the MLG format as structured does not work yet for fighting games. So NCR all the way this week. Its too bad because guys like Art were involved with the MK stuff trying to make it happen at MLG. The long breaks between matches don't make sense in a fighting game sense as much as they do in star craft. Starcraftis ore like Football (American) where you can actually do helpful analysis of the past game, which could sometimes go 20-30 minutes. whereas a match in a fighting game is atmost 5 minutes -10 minutes. making the breaks jarring and annoying and leaving the commentators kind of high and dry. I also don't like the arena format of MLG for fighting games. it seems cheesy. Having players walk out of the crowd and seeing people like sitting on the floor and stuff is part of the charm of watching an actual fighting game tourney.

also

I had to see 100000000 commercials with that Shibi guy in it yelling at me about a razor or telling his nerdy friend to "get real". This guy may be a swell dude, i think he plays Halo (Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh) but holy shit i wanted to murder him to death.