Moving from Ireland to Malaysia, taking PS4?

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheLark

Hey Duders, so i am about to emigrate from Ireland to Malaysia for a job teaching out there! I am just curious whether or not i am able to take my ps4 as a carry-on through security or would it be better to put it into my suitcase! If any of you have travelled with your consoles on long distances any info would be great! Also, as my account is european account when i connect to the internet will i still have access to the psn store as i was in ireland as my account/details are on that region!

Cheers !

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can access any regions PSN from anywhere.

Suitcase or Carry on both work fine, your choice really.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, you can take consoles through security as carry-on. Just have to remove them from bag the same as you do with laptop. I assume it would be fine in checked baggage as well, but I've never done that.

Your PSN account will still work, yeah, and still be connected as EU account.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

I'm pretty sure your account will keep being an European account even over there, so you'll still have access to the EU PSN store, instead of whatever is available on PSN in Malaysia. This may be a bad thing, considering there's a severe lack of content on PSN in the EU. I don't know if Malaysia's PSN is even more limited or if they have access to a lot of the Japanese PSN store content, if the latter is true, you'll probably want to create a new account over there, so you can buy actual games for that machine.

I'd probably want to bring it with me in the cabin, since you never really know how well they treat the stuff in the baggage compartment.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would call the airline to double check. They recently instituted new rules were electronic devices have to be powered on when going through security. They might not let you bring that on a plane as a carry-on.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Carry-on might be a bit bulky. I'd put it in the suitcase but surround it with clothes so it doesn't get smashed. I did that for a PS3, two 360s and all the components for a PC minus the case for a flight and everything came out hunky-dory. You might need a power adapter, not sure on the household power standards in Malaysia vs Ireland.

Edit: Nevermind, Malaysia uses the same plug type, voltage and frequency as Ireland. Different standards but that probably doesn't matter as it's the same specs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country#Table_of_mains_voltages_and_frequencies

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@thelark said:

Hey Duders, so i am about to emigrate from Ireland to Malaysia for a job teaching out there! I am just curious whether or not i am able to take my ps4 as a carry-on through security or would it be better to put it into my suitcase! If any of you have travelled with your consoles on long distances any info would be great! Also, as my account is european account when i connect to the internet will i still have access to the psn store as i was in ireland as my account/details are on that region!

Cheers !

Do it as a carry on. It will get stolen out of checked baggage. Somewhere along the line that PS4 will be gone...and that will be that for you. So, carry the main unit on along; and put just the cables and controller in your luggage.

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144: Yeah i was wondering about that especially as i can't turn on the ps4 as the guidelines state. i am flying with emirates next thursday so i'll get on the phone to them!

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

@thelark said:

@monkeyking1969: What makes you say that?

I fly major flights twice a year. I've had thankfully little stuff taken, but my friends have had stuff taken. And I hear the horror stories from everyone else. Anyone who flies a lot will tell you to keep your tablet, laptop, camera, and anything small and valuable with you as a carry on. A PS4's main unit is slim enough and light enough to carry even on a flight that might be 23 hours with stop overs...carry that PS4 with you.

Just type "Things You Should Never Pack in Your Checked Bag" and see what it says, this is rock solid confirmed advice.

I 100% guarantee it will be gone somewhere between Ireland and Malaysia.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thelark said:

@mikey87144: Yeah i was wondering about that especially as i can't turn on the ps4 as the guidelines state. i am flying with emirates next thursday so i'll get on the phone to them!

I think that's just in America, so you probably won't have to do that. I think.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Skip the PS4 and use the space to take a bunch of Guiness with, I think they only have Tiger beer in Malaysia, or maybe thats just Singapore where it was $12 for a Guiness, but better safe than sorry.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always take expensive electronics as carry-on. I have had a 360 and PS3 'disappear' on two separate trips. The airport didn't really seem to care, and I can only imagine that is making it a lot easier for the thieves to get away with it.

I had a friend that worked in the post office that warned me profusely when I mail things to make sure its completely sealed. He told me that some people are really good at faking 'accidents' which will leave your contained item vulnerable to them messing with it.

Just my two cents, but please don't leave it in your luggage unless you have it covered my insurance (if that exists).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Skip the PS4 and use the space to take a bunch of Guiness with, I think they only have Tiger beer in Malaysia, or maybe thats just Singapore where it was $12 for a Guiness, but better safe than sorry.

There is no way that Malaysian customs will allow you to take alcohol into the country...they have a ridiculously high alcohol tax, consumption in general is looked down on in that country and is even completely banned in many provinces.

Their beer sort of sucks and is cheap, but the good news is that you can still find a bunch of Chinese import beers there that are pretty good. They have really high alcohol content, though.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@thelark said:

No, the UK is doing it to.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@thelark said:

No, the UK is doing it to.

Good job the dude is Irish then :D

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@thelark: I don't know anything about bringing consoles on planes but congrats on the job and the move! I plan on leaving Ireland when I finish college. Almost all my friends have left the country now.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I put my PS4 in a small carry-on suitcase wrapped with clothes and socks on all sides when I travelled to Hong Kong from Australia and it was fine.

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Yeah, bit i am flying to Birmingham, then on to Dubai. Then from Dubai to KL! Do i contact the airport, or the company i'm flying with?

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beefygrandmole: It's hard work here mate, i know the feeling. I just completed my teaching cert so it's my first job! It's gonna be hard not knowing anyone and being away from friends and family but the experience shall hopefully be worth it! Now i just gotta make sure i can keep gaming over there!

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Carry on dude. I lived in Asia for 4 years and got numerous electronics stolen out of my check-in luggage. If you must put it in check-in, get a lock and buy that plastic wrapping for your suitcase.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelark said:

@alexw00d: Yeah, bit i am flying to Birmingham, then on to Dubai. Then from Dubai to KL! Do i contact the airport, or the company i'm flying with?

Both?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#24 sweep  Moderator

@thelark: Out of interest, how did this pan out? I'm looking at moving to Singapore later this year and will be in a similar situation. Did you take it as carry-on luggage, or stick it in your main bag? And, once there, is the PSN stuff all OK?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@sweep said:

@thelark: Out of interest, how did this pan out? I'm looking at moving to Singapore later this year and will be in a similar situation. Did you take it as carry-on luggage, or stick it in your main bag? And, once there, is the PSN stuff all OK?

Thread necroer! I see you!

I never saw this thread originally, but I'm a England resident who spent 2 weeks in Malaysia and let me tell you I was not ready for Malaysia's humidity. Hope OP adapted to it OK.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sweep  Moderator

@flstyle: I spent a month in Malaysia a couple of years ago so I'm ready for the climate, I'm mostly just wondering what the ramifications will be for my PSN. Someone told me that I'd still have an EU account but that I wouldn't be able to download DLC and updates because I was in the wrong region? Is that a thing?

Also I feel pretty OK about necro-ing this thread because there's quite a clear before/after distinction being made here, and 9 months gives a good perspective for the OP. Also I typed "Can I take my PS4 from England to Singapore" into google and my own website was the third result, so fuck it.

I will not apologise for art.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@sweep said:

@flstyle: I spent a month in Malaysia a couple of years ago so I'm ready for the climate, I'm mostly just wondering what the ramifications will be for my PSN. Someone told me that I'd still have an EU account but that I wouldn't be able to download DLC and updates because I was in the wrong region? Is that a thing?

Also I feel pretty OK about necro-ing this thread because there's quite a clear before/after distinction being made here, and 9 months gives a good perspective for the OP. Also I typed "Can I take my PS4 from England to Singapore" into google and my own website was the third result, so fuck it.

I will not apologise for art.

haha, fair enough!

I'm sure there's a workaround to getting access to other regions, would be a bit of an oversight if not.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sweep  Moderator
Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Facing a similar situation as I head over to Boston from Singapore for university. Probably will keep the consoles at home first for the initial trip as I'll be bringing over my life over to BU but yea, gonna do carry-on when I go back to Boston after the holidays.

tumbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep Not sure if this is what you are looking for. The region lock for DLCs is only if you bought the game digitally from another region, you won't be able to download the DLCs of the game you bought with your EU account from the Singapore store. If you sign in to your EU account, your store would still be the EU store irregardless of the region you are physically in.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BSw

@sweep: I did a similar thing some years ago with my 360, although I moved within Europe. I took the console in my carry-on and put a stack of games and some controllers in my checked luggage, that worked fine. Should be easier with the PS4 as it's smaller and lighter.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mordukai

@rollingzeppelin: Thanks a bunch. Now you got me reading through the history of electrical plugs and sockets. :P

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: ah nice! glad to inspire some distracted reading :)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sweep  Moderator

This thread got necro'd by a spambot, which has now been deleted, but while I'm here:

I can safely report that PSN works fine out here (Singapore), and that I'm still hooked up to the UK PSN store and can access all the games. However I cannot download/use any of the films on PSN (I assume because of a licensing issue) and I can't use any apps which require a UK account either, like Amazon or Netflix. However when I made a Singapore Netflix account, that worked fine even with my UK PSN account, so that's cool. I haven't tried with a VPN. Apparently it's possible, I'm just too lazy to fuck around with it.

One thing worth noting is that when a friend bought a PS4 locally out here, it was stuck to the Asian button layout so X and O were swapped as "confirm" and "cancel" (metal gear solid style), and there's no way to change it. If you're bringing a PS4 over from the UK though it's fine.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

One thing worth noting is that when a friend bought a PS4 locally out here, it was stuck to the Asian button layout so X and O were swapped as "confirm" and "cancel" (metal gear solid style), and there's no way to change it. If you're bringing a PS4 over from the UK though it's fine.

Woah, I was under the impression that by the PS3 era, the choice of layout slowly became an option of developers and eventually the X-confirm/O-cancel option was just taken as default (with some games adding the option to flip them in the settings). It honestly surprises me to find out that it isn't standardised yet even on the region-free PS4.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sweep  Moderator

@dixavd: It's not a problem within the games themselves, It's just the OS/navigating the PS dashboard that enforces it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: That's so weird. I never thought about the X/O thing relating to the OS. A quick search says you can swap the X-O buttons in Button Assignments (under the Accessability menu), however, it's a global change: so while it would make the OS work like EU, it would then make every game/app swap as well. There seems to be no way to change them independently (i.e. on a per-app/game/OS basis).

What a weird issue to still have.