Multiplayer games you wish where still active to play?

• 113 results
Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Phantasy Star Online.

Also, I have a sudden hankering for a game of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. Is that still going?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By AlexW00d

@mlarrabee said:

I used to find Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer incredibly cathartic and refreshing after work; I don't know how active it still is.

And I really enjoyed Battlefield 3's, but I imagine that died with 4's release.

3.3k people on PC at it's peak atm. Not a huge amount of people but still more than the last 2 CoDs, and still totally playable.

Also yeah I tried to play some BF3 again the other day and there's like 8 servers with people on or something awful.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know the TNT was a long time ago, but does Tony Hawk 3 still work online?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Socom.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The list of games I wish were still alive is too big and long for me to think about for a short time but the ones that pop into my mind for the moment are these few. I'll probably come back to this topic and just add more as I remember them

SWAT 4
Homeworld 2
Star Wars Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
RTCW: Enemy Territory
X-Wing Vs Tie-Fighter and X-Wing Alliance
IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
Pirates Vikings and Knights

And many and many more.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Lv4Monk

Maybe not the spirit of the question but I miss when online games weren't more or less "figured out". When top tier strats weren't where everyone started. When playing an RTS wasn't a contest of who can execute the online guide they read the best. Playing an mmo now feels like being a factory worker working off a blueprint.

I miss when I got to actually figure things out myself.

An online game I used to love may not have ever changed but could still feel completely different.

Also Resident Evil: Outbreak was effin' sweet and I wish was playable online (or hell, even LAN).

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@boysef said:

Do people still play titanfall on xbox one? I miss battlefield bad company 2...

Apparently people still play BC2 on PC.

LordLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really miss Auto Assault. That MMORPG was way ahead of it's time and the audience thus wasn't ever there for it. It was also before all the F2P conversion epidemic started really. NCSoft could have made it F2P, but obviously just closed it down. Such a fun ass game, I really do miss playing that.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainbow 6 Vegas

Uno on the 360. Fuck man I played far too much Uno on the 360

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm not sure how active it still is outside of a bunch of purist crazies playing the original version of DOTA, but Warcraft III was my first big multiplayer game back in the day. I liked, but was (and still am) pretty terrible at the actual RTS part, but I remember being able to go online and play half a dozen different weird mods that people had made: from minigame collections to RPG-lite stuff to me being like 12 and getting yelled at for not knowing how to play DOTA, it was a good time.

I'll also throw an honorable mention towards the original Monday Night Combat and Hybrid. Two rather short-lived XBLA games that did some really interesting things.

scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagaroth said:

Chromehounds, when all my friends were playing Gears of War I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas and Chromehounds.

You sir are a gamer after my own heart. I was exactly the same.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

MGO1 for PS2. I could play Killhouse A and C CAP forever.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

For me I would say The Last of Us and Mass Effect 3. To my knowledge, Mass Effect 3 hasn't been shutdown and I'm sure there are some really dedicated people playing The Last of Us. So this isn't so much in terms of these online games are gone and you can't play the multiplayer of these games anymore. This is more if I could go back to any multiplayer games with a fresh, lively community, it would be those.

Kind of odd choices, I know, but I was never really into the idea of competitive multiplayer games in the style of Counter Strike, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc.

Also I had a lot of fun with Halo 1's pseudo multiplayer. (There must be a term for it, but my friends played the game online by, I assume, tricking the Xbox into thinking the connection over the internet was actually over LAN)

KittyMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Super Monday Night Combat. The only Dota style game I've ever really enjoyed.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hybrid

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Warhawk is a pretty solid choice. Very fun dog fighting in that game.

Anarchy Reigns was an awesome game that got no marketing and poor coverage (From this site included). It was an online PvP character action game and it worked crazy well. No one bought it and the skill ceiling got way too high for anyone to be able to pick it up and stand a chance.

Brink. That game was fucking cool. It totally had flaws but it was a very fun shooter that flowed well.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

@fisk0: I second MAG. I had an absolute blast with that game.

If I had it my way, Socom 2 would still be playable online on PS4 through a remake or something. Don't want to think of the number of hours I spent playing that game with friends throughout high school.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MKX on PC. My heart is sad.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would do some bad things for Call of Duty 2 and 4 to be backwards compatible on the One with multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was this server I would play on TF2 called Animal House that shut down years ago, but at its prime, it was a server that played Dustbowl 24/7, was constantly active, had quick respawn and teleport times, and a limit of the amount of demomen, engineers, and snipers there could be, and it was just so freaking FUN. My friends and I would play on that server for hours every day when we were in college, and it was such a blast. I can still remember several of the people who played on that server, and I even have some of them on my friend's list still, despite never playing together much anymore. I played it so much that if you wanted, I could draw a perfect map of all three stages Dustbowl from memory alone, with all the health and ammo pick-ups as well.

I don't play TF2 often anymore, but whenever I do, I always remember the times I had on that server.

peepsmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Alert Tiberian Sun

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Rainbow six Vegas 1

As much disdain I have for Ubisoft in the last decade for basically destroying all of the Tom Clancy titles, I can't deny how much fun I had with that game on XBL back in the day.

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One day I'm gonna make some kind of time travel netcode thing that allows you to go back in time and play these games when they were still active. Just you wait...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

This is weird, but the demo of Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Also Midnight Club 3.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#77 fisk0  Moderator

Brink. That game was fucking cool. It totally had flaws but it was a very fun shooter that flowed well.

Yeah, that was a flawed game, but in retrospect I prefer it over Titanfall, which was going for thame kind of thing.

@sarriss said:

Hybrid

I waited so long for that rumored PC version that never appeared. That was a rad looking game, but I wouldn't get a 360 for it.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War hammer online

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tribes 2. I still haven't played a game like it to this day. In so many small ways, it was so ahead of its time - but the best part was the community was incredible. So many happy memories in that game, what a brilliant experience.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge on the Xbox. I really loved that game.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G.R.A.W.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun (yes, really) - I wish we'd see another one of these, with higher production values. It's vastly underrated, in my opinion.

Call of Duty: World at War (yes, really) - I love this game's multiplayer and its maps. It's probably still going, but it was completely unplayable the last time I tried it.

TheOtherGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: I'm with you on the Mass Effect multiplayer. I've never been a big online multiplayer guy but I fell hard into the PvE game. I've wanted to pop back into online but my internet connect has really been terrible lately.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@boysef: I finished Bad Company 2(PS3) for the first time the other night then I hopped online(which I almost never do for shooters) to see if anybody was playing. Even though there were only like 3-4 players on each side it was super fun! Wish it didn't show your position after you kill somebody though it gives away awesome sniper positions.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chromehounds - There are a lot of good games that should still have multiplayer servers. But chromehounds hurts the most. Too soon.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most fun multiplayer experiences I've ever had were the Battlefield 1942 Wake Island demo and the Planetside beta.

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a LOT of C&C Renegade in my time back before highschool. Like... probably too much. That game was not as good as it should have been for the amount of hours I played it.

Avatar image for fishwitheadphones
fishwitheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had so much fun playing Army of Two mp with my room mate. It was 2v2 objective based with ai adds that were against both.

boysef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tournamentofhate: *sigh* the sniping was so good... and the destruction! goddammit I really miss that multiplayer. Bringing down roofs on people was the best, and blowing a hole in a wall to escape was even better.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure miss Mass Effect's mp, as well as Blur's. They were both totally unexpectedly fun multiplayer games.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien vs Predator 2. It was real cool. The new one was real bad.

Also I'd like to say Sonys old Infantry Online, but that probably hasn't aged well. It was such a blast leveling up your dude and buying that expensive armor and whatnot.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fishwitheadphones: I really liked the army of two multiplayer too. I didn't play much, but Bioshock 2 had some fun modes. MW1 and 2 were great as well.

Avatar image for fishwitheadphones
fishwitheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terminallychill: I enjoyed Bioshock 2 mp so much I forgot to play the single player.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Syndicate on the 360. Granted it needed more content but that game was fun as hell.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By whitegreyblack

@fisk0 said:
@viciousbearmauling said:

Yeah, that was a flawed game, but in retrospect I prefer it over Titanfall, which was going for thame kind of thing.

I got to play exactly 1 game of Brink with another human being... and it was so damn good. I reall enjoyed the movement and feel of that game but the AI in solo matches was atrocious.

BayernBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tribes 2!

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@boysef: I got up in a sniper's perch that had a turret, so I'd use the turret on their vehicles and if they were on foot I'd snipe them. If they got by my fire they'd try to climb up but then I'd take them out. After doing this for like 15 minutes this one dude comes zooming at me from the other side of the map in his vehicle and at full speed he takes out the legs of the tower and I fell with it to my death. I couldn't help but laugh.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate (2012)

Avatar image for thaddeusbandido
ThaddeusBandido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joemarsden: Exactly on point. Tribes 2 was a complete package; it had stellar gameplay, perfect physics, awesome vehicles, a really underappreciated clan/social interface (in 2001!), and a pro mod community. Dynamix really captured lightning in a bottle, and neither Vengeance or Ascend could match The Feel of Tribes 2.

Is Tribes Next still going? That was a real good thing, but I fell off of it after a while.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Sven Co-op

Yes, this! Also numerous other Half-Life 1 mods. Of all of them, however, I was way into "Science & Industry". Was a regular on the forums and the IRC channel on Gamesnet, did beta testing on a couple versions, even dabbled in map making for a bit. Definitely my fondest old online multiplayer experiences stemmed from that mod and the community around it. Apparently, taking a look on Steam, a group still gets together on Sundays and plays. I may jump back in for old time sake now that it's been back in my mind.