• 138 results
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Deusx

This is horrible. I don't want this. Oh well, I guess it's the fault of being an entertainment medium with so few years of life.

biscotti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By biscotti

@s10129107: Hahaha I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read the article.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Patman99

The Atari 2600 is weeping right now. Nary a Combat or Yars Revenge.... In all seriousness I think this is a cool idea. While Pacman may not have the emotional collateral as a painting, it is the beginning. Pacman is to video games as cave paintings are to art. Not necessarily the most complex, but it is beautiful in its own way.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By drac96

I really hope that they end up getting Grim Fandango.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By originalgman

Are they going to have stations where people can actually play the games, like the Smithsonian did? If so, this will be a success solely if I can actually get the chance to play vib-ribbon.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Oh man, Katamari Damacy in the MoMA? That's great. I'm excited for Passage and (hopefully) Animal Crossing. The best news ever, man.

And yeah, something about that Roger Ebert guy.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107  Edited By s10129107

Funny, the only way to play Grim Fandango legally if you don't already own it is to go down to the MOMA.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By toowalrus

PAC-MAN IS ART! Somebody get Billy Mitchel on the line, that guy's always got a plan.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By MakoTitan

New York story, why you no have Alex write about you?

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

#110  Edited By DevourerOfTime

@Gordo789: I've played it before. It's nothing special, visual style aside. It contains literally nothing that hasn't been done on phones or flash games before it (and better).

But that's just my opinion. To me, even considering it for an honour such as this is ludicrous praise.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Tomzombie

YA its Finnaly reconized by the mainstream art community fuck ya!!!

Xandrilios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Xandrilios

I agree with the list, but why no ICO? Widely regarded as art-like..

jfunkhouser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By jfunkhouser

Glad to see vib ribbon in the list. Makes me happy.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Christoffer

Would love to walk through this installation, sounds great, and I hope it introduces new people to the craft of video games.

But as for "is video games art?". I used to think this was an important question but now I can't even remember why. I guess I figured out that the answer to the question, whatever it is, is completely irrelevant to me. Does it change anything?

Is furniture crafting art? Sometimes, sometimes not. Parts of it, parts of it not. Don't care.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Dude fucking Vib-Ribbon, Chrono Trigger, and The Legend of Zelda? Thank you Based God I swear to god.  

And Passage is pretty awesome, though I understand why someone would think it is lame. Also I bought it on iOS because it was kind of a cool thing to have and on a whim on 3DS because it is part of that Alt-Play compilation. 

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By papercut

Any word on if this will be coming to the SF MoMA as well?

Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Bernoulli

WHERES MORTAAAAALLL KOMBAAAT!?

Amdukias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Amdukias

Nice to see video games getting some decent recognition for a change.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By Potter9156

Good list.

Only questionable game is Passage. I don't know how you can include Passage in a video game design interaction exhibit when games like DOOM and GTA3 are absent. It's the token indie darling. It feels like pandering, which undermines the rest of the exhibit.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By subject2change

Glad my girlfriend has a membership. Yay!

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#121  Edited By birchman

Grim Fandango! BRING IT!

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#122  Edited By benderunit22

Journey and Okami

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#123  Edited By Kieran_ES

From the list, it seems like they get it. At least superficially.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By LikeaSsur

I hope Shadow of the Colossus makes the cut.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#125  Edited By Trilogy

That's a pretty respectable list. Good to see our hobby and passion getting some recognition and respect.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By biggiedubs

@oraknabo said:

Patrick,

As an artist I completely understand the response about Passage. I don't necessarily agree with it because I know how experimental a game evoking those feelings really is, but you have to understand that sentimentality and similar feelings (like nostalgia) that easily get a pass in games are seriously dangerous territory in the visual arts. It's why artists like William-Adolphe Bouguereau are so roundly despised by most serious artists. In painting you can be an absolute technical master and be hated for having any trace of sentimentality. The only painter I can think of that really ever got away with it was Marc Chagall.

You know, I was just going to post that I thought that Jason Rohrer is a hack and Passage is lame, but you summed it up quite maturely here.

I'm not quite sure how people not only let Rohrer get away with it, but actually applaud him for his style of games.

I'm going to try and not offend people here, but Passage really does strike me as 'high art for idiots'. It tells an 'emotional' message through the gameplay, so let's just avoid the fact that the message is incredibly generic and maudlin. I'll give him some credit for actually using the gameplay to tell a story, unlike the vast majority of games, and maybe I'm jealous of his 'success' (as a amateur (but improving)) writer, but Passage borderline offends me.

Back on topic: Where the hell is Rez?

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Relys

Where's Journey?

jman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By jman220

Gravitation isn't on either list? The Marriage? Not even Braid? Hmm.

Mizine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Mizine

I am really stoked about this.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By oraknabo

@biggiedubs: While I will agree with you on the shallowness of Rohrer's message, I still like his work because his approach has been pretty unique. I think the idea of using movement through space and other basic game mechanics mostly taken for granted by other game designers as metaphors is a fairly big step. The only other game that comes to mind that has done it better is in the final level of Braid.

Remember that there was a time that closeups were groundbreaking in film. Birth of A Nation has a pretty reprehensible message, even worse than sentimentality, and it still belongs in a museum for growing the set of tools available to directors.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Thanatos3

Hey wheres Metal Gear Solid 2. Its one of the most unappreciated and artistic games i have ever played. Not even MGS1?

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By nintendork666

Needs more Killer 7

JHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#133  Edited By JHavoc

I don't really consider Video games art. I also don't consider Music,Film or literature to be art either. They are forms of media whose primary function is to entertain. Art is a little deeper than that.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By dabe

@oraknabo said:

@biggiedubs: While I will agree with you on the shallowness of Rohrer's message, I still like his work because his approach has been pretty unique. I think the idea of using movement through space and other basic game mechanics mostly taken for granted by other game designers as metaphors is a fairly big step. The only other game that comes to mind that has done it better is in the final level of Braid.

Remember that there was a time that closeups were groundbreaking in film. Birth of A Nation has a pretty reprehensible message, even worse than sentimentality, and it still belongs in a museum for growing the set of tools available to directors.

Just to chime in. I'm not one to be grossly offended by tactful sentimentality; which I think both Passage & Gravitation pull off in a decent way through a distilled message conveyed without too much ceremony or ham-fisted pathos. I think the point about using allegory and metaphor in mechanics of a game is the key factor here. It would seem poignant to address the disconnect between conveyed meaning and gameplay systems employed in the majority of games we see released (GTA IV and Limbo are two examples and ones that shouldn't touch the MoMA exhibit') and how important Rohrer (and others) are in progressing the use of this dynamical meaning for future game makers.

I totally agree about the point you make on film too.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By dabe

@nintendork666 said:

Needs more Killer 7

This would be a decent pick. So would MGS2 but more for its post post-modern narrative than the gameplay or interaction necessarily.

@JHavoc said:

I don't really consider Video games art. I also don't consider Music,Film or literature to be art either. They are forms of media whose primary function is to entertain. Art is a little deeper than that.

Watch, read and listen more. Media such as films, music or literature can be deep too. The rabbit hole is vast.

Incapability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Incapability

When you look at the way MoMA presents each game, they are well chosen. I don't think they represent the games as being art in and of themselves, but the games have had some sort of culturual profoundness and effect attached to them, and many of them will make for interesting sights. World maps in Dwarf Fortress, for instance.

I think it's the presentation and context that justifies them, not the games themselves.

TheMirageMall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By TheMirageMall

http://www.themiragemall.com/games/ console or PC games available free, to download or to purchase.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By oraknabo

@Incapability: Well, Duchamp put a urinal in a museum and that context alone made it a major art piece of the 20th century--though it's the change of context that's important, not the urinal itself.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Ravenlight

You can lead a games to art but you can't make them... art.

I guess.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By morrelloman

Brono Bobo Brog and Bagus = Modern Art