Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
"Buy me! You know you will."
IGN's Nintendo stalwart Matt Casamassina cites "multiple sources close to Nintendo" in a report that says the DSi is set to release in North America on or close to April 4, at a price of $179.99. As it stands, that's a $50 increase over the DS Lite, while the DSi is only roughly $25 more expensive than its lesser predecessor in Japan. But then, their DS Lite is way more expensive than ours in the first place, so we're still coming out ahead on the pricing overall.

The price doesn't surprise me at all, but such a close release date does. I half expected a holiday 09 release for the DSi, since the DS Lite is still consistently selling gangbusters, and Reggie went on record a while back that the new unit wouldn't be out over here until "well into calendar year 2009." April doesn't sound much like "well into" to me. Matt offers a little analysis on the possible rationale behind this move (assuming it's even true).

In contrast to the Japanese market, where penetration of DS Lite has peaked, Nintendo of America may be planning to market DSi alongside the still-popular DS Lite, which would at least explain the different price points: one version for casuals and another for the core.

Are you ready to trade up your Lite for a shiny new camera-equipped version yet? I didn't think I cared about the DSi--and I'm still not much excited about the cameras, nor am I very hopeful for the online DS store, based on WiiWare's output so far--but for whatever reason, knowing the unit might be out soon makes me really want one all of a sudden. I've been spending a lot of time with Chrono Trigger and Ninjatown lately, and it's reminded me how awesome the DS is. If it was thinner and had bigger screens, well, it would be that much awesomer.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
"Buy me! You know you will."
IGN's Nintendo stalwart Matt Casamassina cites "multiple sources close to Nintendo" in a report that says the DSi is set to release in North America on or close to April 4, at a price of $179.99. As it stands, that's a $50 increase over the DS Lite, while the DSi is only roughly $25 more expensive than its lesser predecessor in Japan. But then, their DS Lite is way more expensive than ours in the first place, so we're still coming out ahead on the pricing overall.

The price doesn't surprise me at all, but such a close release date does. I half expected a holiday 09 release for the DSi, since the DS Lite is still consistently selling gangbusters, and Reggie went on record a while back that the new unit wouldn't be out over here until "well into calendar year 2009." April doesn't sound much like "well into" to me. Matt offers a little analysis on the possible rationale behind this move (assuming it's even true).

In contrast to the Japanese market, where penetration of DS Lite has peaked, Nintendo of America may be planning to market DSi alongside the still-popular DS Lite, which would at least explain the different price points: one version for casuals and another for the core.

Are you ready to trade up your Lite for a shiny new camera-equipped version yet? I didn't think I cared about the DSi--and I'm still not much excited about the cameras, nor am I very hopeful for the online DS store, based on WiiWare's output so far--but for whatever reason, knowing the unit might be out soon makes me really want one all of a sudden. I've been spending a lot of time with Chrono Trigger and Ninjatown lately, and it's reminded me how awesome the DS is. If it was thinner and had bigger screens, well, it would be that much awesomer.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I can't wait to get one. I haven't ever owned a DS or a digital camera, so it seems like a good investment for me. I'm sure I mention this any time I talk about the DSi, but dude, a new Game Boy Camera would be OFF THE HOOK. I loved that thing, man. Regardless, I'm not planning on getting one until Christmas or maybe my birthday (in November). At this point, the DS has plenty of games to make it worth owning, so I'm pretty excited.

tmlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By tmlim

I'll only buy the DSi if my DS Lite breaks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Nintendo's trying to turn the DS to be more like the Wii. Just with the interface and aim of the audience and all. That being said, I'm pretty sure I won't buy it. I had some fun times with my DSLite, but when it comes down to it, I hardly play handhelds anymore. I just play consoles.

Clockswork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Clockswork

I want to buy it, but I probibly wont...

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By kraznor

I am indeed planning to buy one. I sure hope this is true.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

Chrono Trigger may be the game that would make me want one, and I suppose if I sold my DS Fat and my DS Lite, I could easily afford it... but I'm still not sold. I can't see myself ever using the cameras, and none of the downloadable games thus far look to be of any significance (and I hope they won't be, because Nintendo should hold off on that till the true sucessor to the DS/Gameboy lineup).

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA

I may buy the DSi since I've had a DS for five years.

mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mrlogical

Isn't Casamassina's wife a Nintendo PR person?  I wonder if his wife is mad at him for getting this scoop, or if she could even be the source (though I imagine that's unlikely).  Hey, technically that also makes him a source close to Nintendo, right? :)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

If I had to choose between playing GBA games and DSware games, I'd choose GBA games every time.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Venatio

Im not buying that, Im just gonna stick with my PSP, I guess Im the only one though...

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By seakae

Ha! I knew it.

TomtheEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TomtheEditor

Finally, something that makes me feel good about never upgrading my original DS to a DSLite! Im going to have to get it.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThomasP

I'll be picking this up in April hopefully. Two DS' are better then one. =)

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkjester74

Not sure about this.  If the DS online store has good content I might get one.  I have no need for yet ANOTHER camera device, and the screen "upgrade" is a joke.

Fawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fawk

I just don't see the need for this device.

It's yet another way to milk another $180 out of people.  It's just not worth it.  Frankly, I hope it fails miserably.  The economy is shit in the US and they expect people to pay this for a very minor upgrade?  Screw you Nintendo.
Don't we all have enough damn gaming machines around by now anyways?
I would assume most people have a DS/DS Lite, a Wii, and either a 360 or PS3.  That is more than enough gaming to take every dollar you have.

I have zero interest in this.  It's a slight hardware refresh at best.  They would have been MUCH better off just waiting and releasing a next-gen handheld that blows everyone away.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnDudebro

I know it's barely an improvement, but I know I'll buy one anyway.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shinryu

I probably wont be buying one, i dont travel all that much so portable gaming is not realyl something i do.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By spiceninja

Yep, I'll be getting one.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By sloppyjoe

More awesomer!  Lets hope the screen isn't an "upgrade" like the PSP 3000 though

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I'll stick with my launch DS

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

No, if my launch era DS breaks then I will get a lite, not a DSi. I still play enough GBA games to warrant keeping the slot.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Ben_H

The L trigger on my launch DS is messed up so I think I'll get this.

Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mjolnir

I've just recently decided to get a DS and was torn between getting the Lite now or waiting for the DSi.  Now that the wait isn't as big of a factor, I may have to reconsider my stance.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have a launch DS and it shows its age, it really is time to upgrade.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jediautobot

I don't have time to play my consoles anymore, but I have plenty of time for portable games, and even my GBA still sees use along with my DS Lite.
I need to know colors though, because I'll wait to purchase if it's not a color I like.  I know that's a silly reason to wait, but I waited to get a black ds, and I'm very happy I did.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TomA

Don't have a DS but I might get this one,maybe.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
ArbitraryWater said:
"No, if my launch era DS breaks then I will get a lite, not a DSi. I still play enough GBA games to warrant keeping the slot."
Here here! I'd much rather play my Game Boy Advance games than the dumb DSiWare crap that's coming out.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
ArbitraryWater said:
"No, if my launch era DS breaks then I will get a lite, not a DSi. I still play enough GBA games to warrant keeping the slot."
Here here! I'd much rather play my Game Boy Advance games than the dumb DSiWare crap that's coming out.
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShadowKiller

That's pretty sweet since I was considering buying another DS Lite yesterday. I guess I'll just wait now...

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Hef

I hope so. My lite broke, and i need a new one.

Avatar image for timmytomthegreat
timmytomthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By timmytomthegreat

I have waited until now to get a DS.  The DSi pushed me over the edge.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By brydello

I'll be buying one for sure.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#34  Edited By ImperiousRix

I skipped on getting a DS Lite, so I actually think I'll spring the money to get the DSi.
Hell, I think I deserve it, seeing as my DS Fat's screen is finally getting one too many scratches on it to be effective.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Media_Master

My DS Lite works just fine, so  I 'm not getting the DSi

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By Hector

I'll really want to get this!

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By LeoMinor

I barely play my DS as it is, so I won't be getting a DSi anytime soon, if at all.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghostin

Gonna stick with my old one unless a mindblowing game comes out that needs the new gimmic.. er functionality.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

I have a BestBuy card with enough to buy a NDS Lite already on it. I was gonna re-buy one until I saw the DSi anouncement. Now waiting till the release. I have a feeling that since I have no local Best Buy that I'll be waiting a while... I highly doubt the online store wil have them in-stock long enough for me to reserve one.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks

I need a new DS to add to my three, so yeah :)

I'm actually really looking forward to the DSi Ware games that will be downloaded via Wii. I want Super Mario Land on DSi for starters.

The Japanese service has already started.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fynne

I don't currently own a DS (went with the PSP) and the specs on it aren't enough to really interest me.

pedantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pedantics

I've got a launch ds lite that's had a dead pixel since day 1 and a broken hinge since about day 12 (I bought it in Osaka so couldn't get a warranty replacement in au) - and this news is giving me that anxious/excited/tense feeling in the love zone of my pant area.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#43  Edited By jacksukeru

I have bought 3 DS lite's. A pink one that was later cheaply traded to a friend who was saving money to go to japan, a black one with a dead pixel that was later dropped and now has a not so functioning L button (it's still useful for some multiplayer games though) and the gray one that I'm currently using.

Well I love the DS and I was looking for a reason to get another one. It's quite possibly my favourite system ever.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By ArcBorealis

I'll be getting one, but I don't want it to come out THAT early. I got next to nothing on cash.

I'd rather wait for around my birthday later this year. That's when I usually get tons of money, and I'll use it there.

Shadowsun9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Shadowsun9

I'm not sure, I don't like the outside of it, it's so plain and un-shiny! I prefer the outside of the Lite, with shinyness and the raised logo.

If the store and sd slot were used for new downloadable content for ds games, I might consider it. If/when the next ace attorney game comes out on ds it would be cool for new, downloadable cases. But I guess that would never happen.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cspiffo

I'm torn. On the one hand I like the DS-I  It's sleeker and improves on the DS Lite's shortcomings on the other hand I would miss the GBA slot on the DS Lite.  I might just have to buy a second DS as stupid as that may sound.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mackgyver

I think I'll pass. Not really sold on the whole camera, slightly larger screen and SD card. I have a few GBA games in my library and doesn't make sense to me to trade them in. Unless all of them will be remade into DS classics like the FF series are. Until then, my DS does it's job just fine.

Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Kane

iv had a origonal ds phat for a while i might buy this new one, does it have a web browser?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Linkyshinks
Kane said:
"iv had a origonal ds phat for a while i might buy this new one, does it have a web browser?"

It's built into firmware. People with a Phat have the best reason to upgrade to one.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Snail

I suuuuuure hope so.