Nintendo Fanboy Hypocrisy

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By littlemanbodie

Sorry if this has been discussed before but this thought has been nagging at me for a while. I just don't understand the Nintendo fanboy hypocrisy that happens with the users and writers of gaming sites and podcasts. Every time I listen to a gaming podcast (which I should probably cut back on) I hear the same thing over and over again about how games like God of War or Gears of War should quit shoveling out sequels because they're becoming too derivative and uninspired. But time and time again, and it never fails, these same guys talk about how they're excited for a new Mario Bros, Metroid, Zelda, etc… which will push them to run out and buy the next console Nintendo releases. I just don't get it? There was also a lot of wariness for The Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Beyond, and others during E3 about them receiving maybe too much hype for what was being shown and some elements being less appealing then others. All of which is fair and I agree with, to a certain extent, but then they move on to the Nintendo conference and all I heard was a plethora of nostalgia. At least some of the companies at E3 were working with new material, derivative or not, instead of established franchises of 25-30 years. Am I way off base here? I get that they're great games, but it just seems that no one ever calls Nintendo on their shit for putting out games for the same three franchises every year. Or at the very least see the hypocrisy when they mention Gears of War or Uncharted.

Anyways, that felt good to get out. Go easy on me! Im fragile.

Love, Bodie

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MaxxS

I heard a lot of pretty negative things about Nintendo's conference this year. Also it seems like you picked the worst time and place to complain about this considering Giant Bomb just put up the New Super Mario Bros 2 quick look, and they don't seem to be having much fun with it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

People talk too much.

I just as much look forward to a Gears sequel as I do to a Zelda sequel.
People judge things so strangely these days so I try not to care about them, I just buy what I want to play and well, play it!

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By BrittonPeele

For one thing: I don't remember hearing any weariness at all over The Last of Us, Watch Dogs etc. EXCEPT for reminders that people should temper their excitement until the games are actually playable. Which is good advice no matter where you're coming from in terms of "fanboyism." By comparison, I can't think of a single instance where I heard somebody was happy with or impressed by Nintendo's E3 press conference -- and I was AT the show. We all entered that thing optimistic and left really bummed out. I say this as someone who was happily StreetPassing before it started.

For another: By the time Gears of War: Judgement comes out, there will have been four very similar Gears of War games on a single console. There have been, what? 7 Call of Duty games on the 360? By comparison, as much as you see Mario as a character, there is generally only one game of each huge franchise per Nintendo system. One Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, one "New" Super Mario Bros.... Yeah, there are occasionally exceptions (there have been two Zeldas per platform for awhile, with the exception of the SNES), but there's still a lot more time between major entries in a series. Super Mario 3D Land is drastically different in feel than New Super Mario Bros., so they can't really be compared in the same way as Uncharted 2 vs. Uncharted 3. And there are also franchises like Pikmin that may skip an entire generation, leading to more excitement.

Also: I love me some Mario, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 is fantastic, but I echo some of what Jeff says in terms of thinking, "Eh. The magic is gone. This doesn't feel as exciting." And I've been accused of being a Nintendo fanboy before.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By TehFlan

@GrantHeaslip said:

I don't think people are necessarily excited about the IP so much as they're excited about playing new games from a company that puts out some really great games. A lot of Nintendo fans would much rather Nintendo unleash their talent on some new IP, and games like NSMB 2 are getting a very skeptical reception even from Nintendo fans.

And really, besides Mario (and even then, 2D and 3D Mario games are quite different), they don't put out games in these series all that often. There have been 3 console Zelda games and 3 handheld Zelda games in the past decade, and about the same number of Metroid games. Compared to most other franchises, that's not really that bad.

I'm not going to try to claim that Nintendo doesn't get a bit of a free pass sometimes, but considering the (western) gaming press regularly shits on the Wii and can't stop talking about how Apple's going to kill their handheld systems, I'm not sure they're the golden boy you're saying they are.

I agree. Nintendo isn't putting out the same games every year. The closest thing they have is putting out a bunch of "new" SMB games recently, which they've totally been called out on. I mean there was what, 5 years between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword? That's not an annualized franchise, and those games have some pretty significant differences, even if they both fit the Zelda mold.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FritzDude

Sequel or no sequel, if the game seems good for my eyes & ears I will most likely play it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

You should probably stop listening to whoever keeps saying that since there are enough people already that give needless shit talking to Nintendo already. Also most Nintendo games are still great and ever evolving.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Aetheldod

I agree too much is forgiven to nintendo , but lately they have been called out by more people so all is good in the land of vidja games

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well I remembuh back in mah yungah days, I's a console warriuh jus like you, son.

Anyways, with no judgement on the quality, the adventures and travails of Mario and Link are no longer something I give a rip about. It could be the greatest thing ever, but unless it's somehow completely different from everything it's ever been, I just don't need to do it again. I saved the Princess and lifted the Master Sword enough. Ten years from now, I won't need to collect any more ancient cursed treasure or have sex with blue ladies, because I'll have done it six or seven times already.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Nubster

People are sick of yearly sequels. For your examples, Gears of War came out only a year ago (where there are usually two or three years between releases) and Epic has said that they're making the new Gears game to keep People Can Fly busy and make some profit. God of War is looking iffy because there have already been two prequels and God of War 3 ended pretty definitively, in a way that makes revisiting Kratos seem cheap and unoriginal.

Nintendo is known for releasing games few and far between, but always hitting a level of quality and sheer fun so high above anything else that it justifies falling back on Zelda, Mario and Metroid. If you'd take a look around, you'd see that the latest Zelda, Mario and Metroid have been getting a lot of flack, and people are really wary of their business at the moment. Two or three years ago, this would have been a valid complaint, but right now, Nintendo isn't exactly flying high.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's hard to come up with new characters, especially ones who never talk. Oh and making the ones they already have talk? Never!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

This new Suprer Mario Bros Quick Look should be the guys completely dumping on it how it's derivative same old Mario with almost absolutely nothing new. I was pretty shocked that they still went back to the "well it's an good game but theres nothing new.. maybe if it had a cape I'd be onboard!" I was honestly shocked that they are looking forward to anything Mario at this point. That whole cycle of releasing Super Mario Bros over and over again is almost criminal at this point in my opinion because there are no breaks. You might say well they updated that formula for people who haven't played it yet - but there have been so many of these games already. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Tennis was on the way, for no apparent reason.

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By littlemanbodie

@The_Nubster said:

People are sick of yearly sequels. For your examples, Gears of War came out only a year ago (where there are usually two or three years between releases) and Epic has said that they're making the new Gears game to keep People Can Fly busy and make some profit. God of War is looking iffy because there have already been two prequels and God of War 3 ended pretty definitively, in a way that makes revisiting Kratos seem cheap and unoriginal.

Nintendo is known for releasing games few and far between, but always hitting a level of quality and sheer fun so high above anything else that it justifies falling back on Zelda, Mario and Metroid. If you'd take a look around, you'd see that the latest Zelda, Mario and Metroid have been getting a lot of flack, and people are really wary of their business at the moment. Two or three years ago, this would have been a valid complaint, but right now, Nintendo isn't exactly flying high.

You're right, I had this burning sentiment a couple years back. Just recently saw something and felt like posting. Still feel they've gotten off easy in the grand scope of things though.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By leebmx

er...from what I recall everyone shat all over the Nintendo press conference this year while being cautiously optimistic about the other games you mention, in what was a pretty mediocre year.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By randyf

Like people have been saying, it's about the frequency of the games coming out. It's still way too early for a new Gears, especially after the ending of 3. Same could be said for God of War. People definitely complain about how many Call of Dutys come out. Nintendo really doesn't do that. At least, not until recently, and now that they are, people are starting to get irritated by it.

Nostalgia is probably a factor, too.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JazGalaxy

@LittlemanBodie said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but this thought has been nagging at me for a while. I just don't understand the Nintendo fanboy hypocrisy that happens with the users and writers of gaming sites and podcasts. Every time I listen to a gaming podcast (which I should probably cut back on) I hear the same thing over and over again about how games like God of War or Gears of War should quit shoveling out sequels because they're becoming too derivative and uninspired. But time and time again, and it never fails, these same guys talk about how they're excited for a new Mario Bros, Metroid, Zelda, etc… which will push them to run out and buy the next console Nintendo releases. I just don't get it? There was also a lot of wariness for The Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Beyond, and others during E3 about them receiving maybe too much hype for what was being shown and some elements being less appealing then others. All of which is fair and I agree with, to a certain extent, but then they move on to the Nintendo conference and all I heard was a plethora of nostalgia. At least some of the companies at E3 were working with new material, derivative or not, instead of established franchises of 25-30 years. Am I way off base here? I get that they're great games, but it just seems that no one ever calls Nintendo on their shit for putting out games for the same three franchises every year. Or at the very least see the hypocrisy when they mention Gears of War or Uncharted.

Anyways, that felt good to get out. Go easy on me! Im fragile.

Love, Bodie

I Think you're missing the fact that companies like MS and Sony, when they make a sequel, essentially release THE EXACT SAME GAME as the previous iteration. Just with better graphics and different cutscenes.

I think, when people think of NIntendo and sequels, they're thinking of games like Mario vs. Mario 2 vs. Mario 3, wich are three entirely different games. They have almost nothing in common save the main character's name is Mario and he vaguely looks the same.

Contrast that against, say Halo 2 and 3 where one feels like they're playing the exact same game they were playing previously.

Honestly, some of my favorite games in all of gaming are Super Mario 2, Castlevania 2, and Zelda 2. They were all sequels, every single one of them had the guts to make an entirely new play experience out of what you liked about the original games. It was like if Halo Wars was Halo 2.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By wrighteous86

@Vinny_Says said:

It's hard to come up with new characters, especially ones who never talk. Oh and making the ones they already have talk? Never!

What does it matter what character is in the game if they are unique or different in style or gameplay? People act like Luigi's Mansion is just another Mario game, or that Metroid Prime is just like Metroid: Other M, or Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are the same thing.

They release games in a series 3-6 years apart, that are pretty different in specific ways, but because they use the same characters, it's "milking" whereas all of their competitors release derivative sequels a year apart on the same console constantly. I'd take Nintendo's version of "milking" over CoD, GoW, GOW, Halo, Madden, etc.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeF

Are you serious?

All you hear in the media is criticism and cynicism thrown towards whatever Nintendo does these days. I could write the exact opposite post basically. I challenge you to find any recent discussion (last 5 years or so) that did NOT happen on a fansite, which goes for longer than 5 minutes without "yea ...it's another Mario game" "Zelda is the same game every time" "where's the new IP?" "played one, played 'em all" etc, etc.

The reason some people still ARE excited about the stuff they're doing is that most of these criticisms are only true on a surface level and there actually IS quite a lot of new or surprising stuff worth getting excited about in these titles, compared to some of the other sequel'd-to-death series.

And just for the record: Nintendo fucks up a lot, there's no denying that. Just because my name is red does not mean I represent the apologist defense force here. Just keepin' it real.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fattony12000
littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By littlemanbodie

@leebmx: Never said that the nintendo conference was well regarded. Just that people expected more of the same franchises that nintendo always puts out. And when the established titles weren't mentioned at the conference people were disappointed. Why are people expecting/excited for the same stuff over and over? But looking at the comments I can agree quality and distance from one release to the next is important. Its still something I see as hypocritical though.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By JoeyRavn

The same can be said of any fanbase, really. We have a saying in Spain that roughly translates as "everybody sweeps to their side". Yeah, people like some thing and dislike others, even if they are basically the same. A couple of days ago I was thoroughly confused when I heard someone say that Smash Bros. sucks because it's for kids, but PlayStation All-Stars is doing it right.

People are are thick. Just ignore them and do your own thing.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

@Fattony12000 said:

God i love that ad.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

@LittlemanBodie: I will too, point out Giantbomb's Quicklook. I dont really listen to other pod casts, or other websites, so I dont know what your talking about. But I will say

Humans- they are a fickle species.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

What does it matter what character is in the game if they are unique or different in style or gameplay? People act like Luigi's Mansion is just another Mario game, or that Metroid Prime is just like Metroid: Other M, or Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are the same thing.

They release games in a series 3-6 years apart, that are pretty different in specific ways, but because they use the same characters, it's "milking" whereas all of their competitors release derivative sequels a year apart on the same console constantly. I'd take Nintendo's version of "milking" over CoD, GoW, GOW, Halo, Madden, etc.

To me it all falls into the James Bond syndrome, yeah his 50 or so adventures are all right but it's always the same smug British asshole who saves the day, and there's no way they are ever going to do anything out of the norm with him.

Same goes for Nintendo's colorful cast of lame-wads.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JazGalaxy

@LittlemanBodie said:

@leebmx: Never said that the nintendo conference was well regarded. Just that people expected more of the same franchises that nintendo always puts out. And when the established titles weren't mentioned at the conference people were disappointed. Why are people expecting/excited for the same stuff over and over? But looking at the comments I can agree quality and distance from one release to the next is important. Its still something I see as hypocritical though.

Well, you're right to say that people do want the same thing over and over again. That's just a human trait that reaches to our core. In a wide field of choices, we want simplicity. Market research even concludes that people want choice, but they want to choose between a small number of things. Tht is to say "narrow it down for me, but I ultimately want to make the final decision." As a result, they like to know that established brands continue, so they know where quality lies, but they want to choose between those to make a purchase.

New titles just pollute the buying decisions of many consumers.

That's why Nintendo brands all of its' stuff as "Mario-whatever". People are more likey to notice it when they feel like they know what they're getting.

It has the opposite effect on people as old as me, though, who have simply seen too much of the same crap out of Nintendo, skewing younger and younger every time, to pay any attention to new Mario games.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Ravenlight

@Fattony12000:

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By littlemanbodie

@JazGalaxy: Very true. I've done that a lot with music in the past and recently have been slowly pushing myself away from that habit of sticking with what I know and am finding amazing music because of it. I might have not fully thought out, been as elegant, or had the right timing for this post, but just felt like saying something on the subject. Anyways thanks for your input!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Vinny_Says said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

To me it all falls into the James Bond syndrome, yeah his 50 or so adventures are all right but it's always the same smug British asshole who saves the day, and there's no way they are ever going to do anything out of the norm with him.

Same goes for Nintendo's colorful cast of lame-wads.

Well I think that goes back to Nintendo intentionally keeping it's characters vague so that they don't wear out. I mean, let's be honest, would Link really be around still if his story was as minutely chronicled as, say, Dante's? A character who is already being redone? I think people don't realize quite how much the vagueness of Nintendo's characters contributes to why they're so universally beloved.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By leebmx

@LittlemanBodie: Fair'nuff. You have a point there which is issed in your earlier post. I suppose it is because that is all Nintendo are about at this point is Mario/Zelda/etc. Its almost a backhanded insult that people ask for the same things from them as its not even a reasonable expectation that they will try and make new IP. However you could say the same thing about Blizzard and no-one really looks down on them for having done nothing new in aeons.

I guess some companies are all about trying to scratch that nostalgia itch but I feel it is going to bite them long term if they want to stay relevant to serious gamers. I think Nintentdo are already losing some respect and credability, especially round these parts. Look at the review for Skyward Sword or the recent Super Mario bros 2 QL.

At this point you don't go to Nintendo for new worlds, stories or characters just different kinds of sticks to waggle while you sigh at their ancient games.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't know, duder, I've been hearing mixed criticism from Nintendo fanboys and gaming enthusiasts in general.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JazGalaxy

@leebmx said:

@LittlemanBodie: Fair'nuff. You have a point there which is issed in your earlier post. I suppose it is because that is all Nintendo are about at this point is Mario/Zelda/etc. Its almost a backhanded insult that people ask for the same things from them as its not even a reasonable expectation that they will try and make new IP. However you could say the same thing about Blizzard and no-one really looks down on them for having done nothing new in aeons.

I guess some companies are all about trying to scratch that nostalgia itch but I feel it is going to bite them long term if they want to stay relevant to serious gamers. I think Nintentdo are already losing some respect and credability, especially round these parts. Look at the review for Skyward Sword or the recent Super Mario bros 2 QL.

At this point you don't go to Nintendo for new worlds, stories or characters just different kinds of sticks to waggle while you sigh at their ancient games.

It's also worth noting that Nintnedo knows they aren't doing anything new.

I mean, I can't remember where I saw it, but I do remember Miyamoto making the comment that all the zelda's after Ocarina were essentially the same game. Honestly, most of what people now attribute to being "core" zelda elements were first introduced in that game. He seemed ready to do something new for the next game. But, then, this might have even been before skyward sword came out that he said this.

But, can you blame him? How many people gave Ocarina 10's and called it the best videogame ever made? Isn't his changing anything, at that point, only going to mess stuff up?

Personally I hated Ocarina. I didn't get why people were falling in love with the dumb horse. I didn't like how the aggressive attack oriented hack and slash gameplay was reduced to waiting until the badguy attacked and then attacking him back.[mobilns, octarocks, deku shrubs, skulltellas, etc.] I didn't like how the game had a hub world that basically reduced the game to levels instead of letting you freely explore. I didn't like links noises and voice.

So... I'm clearly ready for them to turn the page on the current iteration of the game. On the flipside, Space Mario is still very viable for new adventures. Especially if they went back to the "world" concept.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Well the biggest difference is that all the complaints about rehashed franchises are based from those which don't delve past their safety net.

Many Nintendo games have established, recognizable characters who cater to gamers of different genres. When people say "Nintendo's making a new Mario game", you don't immediately assume it's going to be a 2D platformer. It could be a 3D platformer, kart racer, sport game, whatever. Switch Mario with Kirby but not so much Zelda and Samus.

When people say "There's gonna be a new Uncharted / G(od/ears) of War", you know exactly what to expect as of this writing.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Chroma_Auron

@JazGalaxy: What? You saying these things But I don't think you know what they mean.

@Lunar_Aura said:

Well the biggest difference is that all the complaints about rehashed franchises are based from those which don't delve past their safety net.

Many Nintendo games have established, recognizable characters who cater to gamers of different genres. When people say "Nintendo's making a new Mario game", you don't immediately assume it's going to be a 2D platformer. It could be a 3D platformer, kart racer, sport game, whatever. Switch Mario with Kirby but not so much Zelda and Samus.

When people say "There's gonna be a new Uncharted / G(od/ears) of War", you know exactly what to expect as of this writing.

It's also important to note that Nintendo is always doing something different even if it's subtitle. Changes to the game play, the style, how thing is approached, etc. They don't put out a new game of the same name every year on the same system. I also think that when people complain about Nintendo, they seam to have a bone to pick as their arguments can easily be destroyed. It's strange.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By maginnovision

@Chroma_Auron: You should have gone non-red before posting.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By kindgineer

Does anyone understand that "fanboyism" is a completely subjective discussion? Hypocrisy seems like a cop-out when it comes to talking about something like this. People are capable of their own opinions, the only issue that should be addressed is offensive/abusive nature that the immature seem to have. Everyone has a different perspective of a various amount of companies and it's a little silly to think that everything will (or should) be within line of your own reasoning.

I love Blizzard and many will tell me I'm nuts and that I'm silly for being loyal to that company for reason A, B, and C. Oh noes!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By JasonR86

@LittlemanBodie:

What do you think will come from this post? Honestly? Also how many times have you heard the Wii shrugged off as total garbage by gaming media? Give me a break guy.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By zyn

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

People talk too much. I just as much look forward to a Gears sequel as I do to a Zelda sequel. People judge things so strangely these days so I try not to care about them, I just buy what I want to play and well, play it!
TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#39  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Nintendo doesn't do sequels as often. It's easier for some people to get excited for a new Zelda game every five years than it is for them to get excited for a new Gears of War every two.

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By littlemanbodie

@ck1nd said:

Does anyone understand that "fanboyism" is a completely subjective discussion? Hypocrisy seems like a cop-out when it comes to talking about something like this. People are capable of their own opinions, the only issue that should be addressed is offensive/abusive nature that the immature seem to have. Everyone has a different perspective of a various amount of companies and it's a little silly to think that everything will (or should) be within line of your own reasoning.

I love Blizzard and many will tell me I'm nuts and that I'm silly for being loyal to that company for reason A, B, and C. Oh noes!

You're right. I shouldn't post frivolous opinions on a video game site. And I apologize tone isn't accurately depicted over the internet yet but I'm not angry or outraged, just a little confused at it all. And like @Humanity mentioned earlier with the GB crew's views on the super mario quick look posted recently, "well it's a good game but theres nothing new.. maybe if it had a cape I'd be onboard!". That kind of reasoning seems like a cop-out. But overall I just don't post enough and wanted to interact with my fellow GBers! Mission Accomplished?

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By Chroma_Auron

@Maginnovision: I forgot that even existed lol. I wouldn't want to lie about my preferences anyway.

@LittlemanBodie said:

@ck1nd said:

You're right. I shouldn't post frivolous opinions on a video game site. And I apologize tone isn't accurately depicted over the internet yet but I'm not angry or outraged, just a little confused at it all. And like @Humanity mentioned earlier with the GB crew's views on the super mario quick look posted recently, "well it's a good game but theres nothing new.. maybe if it had a cape I'd be onboard!". That kind of reasoning seems like a cop-out. But overall I just don't post enough and wanted to interact with my fellow GBers! Mission Accomplished?

The thing here is that your accusing people of not daring to criticize Nintendo which is bluntly false if you look on any message board. Then you back this up with another false statement by saying Nintendo releases the same three franchises every year which is not true. This kind of false facts and statements puts us on the defensive because they are not true. I believe in truth and hate lies. Nintendo fans and myself have our opinions and criticisms of how they do things but we still like them because they have not gone the way of Activision and EA. If Nintendo did that, Everyone including me would jump off that ship. That is why I'm being a bit harsh on you =).

Based on what I have seen, NSMB2 is a weak title that doesn't really do much different. Fans on forums seam to agree with that. That game was worked on by the Newbie team at Nintendo. Regardless of how it could have been different, it still is a solid, quality game. The GB quick look seams to indicate that. That last part about the cape was clearly a joke though.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contrarian

So, some poeple like certain games and some people don't? I hear, talking to friends that it is somethng to do with personal taste .... may or may not be true. Who knows? Generally when I don't like a game series, I just play something else and get on with my life. Perhaps I am just immature or something, I have no idea.

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By littlemanbodie

@Contrarian: Thanks for your invaluable input. I'll be sure to never make a post on this site again. Have a good one!

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Forderz

I think a large part of why Nintendo franchises get a 'pass' is because the games always try to depart from their predecessors in some way (less so recently, but still holds true).

Change the art/character in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, and they are unrecognizable as two games in a franchise. Same with Kirby and his totally wacky games like Canvas Curse and Mass Attack, same with Mario and his Kart/Tennis/Galaxy/New. LoZ is less immune to criticism, but damn you to hell if you don't see the difference in tone and the new utilization of time mechanics between Majora and Ocarina.

A lot of this breadth of game, so to speak, is due to these franchises being ancient, but Nintendo has wisely left the public ever yearning for another title throughout the years, refusing to over-saturate the market. That has to count for something, and is why their recent Mario kick is so disappointing.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Contrarian

@Contrariansaid:

So, some poeple like certain games and some people don't? I hear, talking to friends that it is somethng to do with personal taste .... may or may not be true. Who knows? Generally when I don't like a game series, I just play something else and get on with my life. Perhaps I am just immature or something, I have no idea.

@LittlemanBodie said:

@Contrarian: Thanks for your invaluable input. I'll be sure to never make a post on this site again. Have a good one!

What? Over-reacting much? Meh, I'm going back to playing White Knight Cronicles II, which apparently is essentially the same as White Knight Chronicles, but hey, I am enjoying it, so what else matters right?

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By littlemanbodie

@Contrarian: Naw, I just didn't feel you were saying anything. Of course some people enjoy some things while others won't. And yeah, that was a dickish response, sorry. I get I might be wrong in some sense with my initial post looking at everyone else's responses. But the fact that every year since 1981 there has been at least one game, many times multiple games, starring Mario just seems kinda lame to me. And yeah maybe my timing was wrong on this thread, but for the 10 years prior of people receiving the same character in the relatively same style of games that they had been getting 10 years before, I just don't get being excited each time. I understanding enjoying them full heartedly, but not regarding them as system sellers. Anyways, I get that people are gonna like what they like no matter what. I just wanted to bring up my take on it and ask if I'm way off base here. Apparently I was. Have a good one! Sincerely :)

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Contrarian

@LittlemanBodie said:

@Contrarian: Naw, I just didn't feel you were saying anything. Of course some people enjoy some things while others won't. And yeah, that was a dickish response, sorry. I get I might be wrong in some sense with my initial post looking at everyone else's responses. But the fact that every year since 1981 there has been at least one game, many times multiple games, starring Mario just seems kinda lame to me. And yeah maybe my timing was wrong on this thread, but for the 10 years prior of people receiving the same character in the relatively same style of games that they had been getting 10 years before, I just don't get being excited each time. I understanding enjoying them full heartedly, but not regarding them as system sellers. Anyways, I get that people are gonna like what they like no matter what. I just wanted to bring up my take on it and ask if I'm way off base here. Apparently I was. Have a good one! Sincerely :)

In respect to Mario, I tend to agree with you. I just don't really enjoy the platform games all that much. I may eventually pick any or all of them up, but I am in no hurry and I won't pay full price - I have got NSMBWii at all. I do love the Mario Kart games every time though and all I really want is better graphics and new tracks/options each time. I guess my original post was more about the fact that we fixate too much on what others say, be it critics or players. It is that dwelling on opinions that is bogging many of us down. I assume that I am like anyone else - I know what I like, so I play what I like and reading opinions is more about validating my bias, which is not a bad thing. Have a good one also.