NVIDIA releasing new 65-inch monitors with Gsync

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This news hit late last night.

The specs so far have these as 65-inch monitors with 120hz support and Gsync, along with Nvidia Shield built in so I guess you can stream from your PC if it's too far away? The videos imply that these are for desktop use, but I'm sure they'll go anywhere you want to use them at that size. Personally I can't imagine sitting down with an MKB as close to a 65-inch screen as what they're showing in the thumbnail up there, but I guess we'll see when they start coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So basically they are bringing a pure gaming TV to the market. I hope this catches on so other TV manufactures start implementing some of that technology in their line up. All 4k TV's should have a form of g-sync IMO.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

My friend sits in front of a ~49" TV and I can't understand how he does it. Wake me up when someone announces an OLED monitor with 100+Hz and G-Sync. My OLED TV has transformed gaming for me and I can't ever imagine going back.

Still not seen a G-Sync monitor in person but everything people say about High Refresh Rate monitors sounds glorious. I think I'd rather stick at 1440p for now for that FPS/resolution sweet point, unless Volta cards turn out to be bonkers.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure these will have very reasonable prices.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mellotronrules

@onarum said:

I'm sure these will have very reasonable prices.

well if there's one word that sums up CES announcements, it's reasonable.

now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to update the firmware on my refrigerator.

DPEP56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't they just call this a TV then? Isn't and monitor and a television the same thing just we happen to call them different things because monitors tend to be smaller and don't have a coaxial input? Or is there an actual difference between a TV and monitor that I never heard of?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dpep56 said:

Or is there an actual difference between a TV and monitor that I never heard of?

traditionally it's been the presence of a tuner, right?

(i might be wrong).

DPEP56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

This seems excessive

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In b4 someone puts 4 of these together, hooks up a driving wheel and plays Forza.

Do we still do in b4 jokes? (Dad moment)

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Is Rorie getting a new monitor?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@dpep56: Monitors tend to have higher refresh rates, lower response times, and in the past, higher resolutions. They're not that different these days, but they used to have way more differences.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At that size it better have some tv functionality, i use a 50inch 4k tv on my pc to game on but i also have my cable and consoles hooked up to it.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fnrslvr

@bdead: HDMI 2.1 includes a variable refresh rate standard, which'll hopefully see widespread adoption in the next couple of years. Seems like it should be comparable to Freesync: probably stops working if framerate really tanks, but we won't have to pay Nvidia's blood money for the privilege of an adaptive sync solution. (Unless Nvidia refuses to support the full HDMI 2.1 standard or something.)

(Yes I have an axe to grind over G-sync.)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

At that size it better have some tv functionality, i use a 50inch 4k tv on my pc to game on but i also have my cable and consoles hooked up to it.

Nvidia mentions consoles right in the press release that goes along with this news story. But this is going to be made by Nvidia partners much like GPUs, so different companies are going to put out products with various features.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The VA panel and inevitable $5K+ price tag kills this for me. Love the idea but I need an OLED. Maybe in 10 more years this will be an affordable reality.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB needs a monitor talk with Mathew Rorrie segment.

I just bought a new monitor with g-sync there delivering it today didn't go ultra wide cause i ain't a monster

it's a Dell S2417dg for people wondering what i bought.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Way too big. No way. I love the idea and the tech, but no way. Not unless I am sitting on my couch or something like that. As @bdead above mentioned above, its basically a gaming specific TV. I am okay with that, but as a computer monitor? No way!

I tested a 43in display at work as my primary computer monitor, it was way too big and disorienting. I lasted maybe an hour before I swapped it back out for my normal configuration at work.

I have a 32" (not super wide screen) HP Omen high res display but its also not curved. I really like it for most everything, but that is even sometimes a bit too big as my computer monitor. I can't imagine a 65in screen as my computer monitor no matter how beautiful the display is.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way I would use something that big as a PC monitor, but absolutely as a TV. We are way past due for a line of low-latency, gaming-focused HD TVs.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use my UHDtv just acts like a monitor in my use case. Where I live, 28.6 nautical miles out to sea, people cannot pick up terrestrial digital signals without owning a 200 ft tall digital antenna...which the FAA & municle airport would not allow. Hell even with that annata, we MIGHT pick up one station, so not even worth the attempt.

Being so out of the loop, I wouldn't even know if people elsewhere in the US even use digital tv over an antenna anymore. So is a TV tuner even very long for this world?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@cmblasko: Amen. OLED 4K with HDR is pretty but I can't go back to 60hz after being spoiled by my (24 inch, ha) 144hz monitor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rorie sure to love monitors

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Are they also announcing a graphics card that can play games at 4k 60 or are they still expecting people to do SLI Titans for that?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

Are they also announcing a graphics card that can play games at 4k 60 or are they still expecting people to do SLI Titans for that?

Wouldn't surprise me if the price tag on one of these screens trumps SLI Titans, so maybe?

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood why G-sync was a big deal. Eliminate screen tearing without the input lag of v-sync. Hurray! But, I barely notice input lag anyway. Will a couple milliseconds really transform my gaming experience? I'll be stick with saving up for one of those LG Oleds for now.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrowdyy: let alone the fact that it's mostly broken, always see people complaining about it.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with v-sync isnt input lag but the drop in performance. When i turn on v-sync in certain games, i drop from a stable 60fps to changing 40-60fps. Not interested in g-sync though since those are overpriced and i prefer AMD gpus.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21 said:

My problem with v-sync isnt input lag but the drop in performance. When i turn on v-sync in certain games, i drop from a stable 60fps to changing 40-60fps. Not interested in g-sync though since those are overpriced and i prefer AMD gpus.

if you use adaptive v-sync that problem goes away, well, provided the frame drops are not related to your hardware or bad optimization of course.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dpep56 said:

Why don't they just call this a TV then? Isn't and monitor and a television the same thing just we happen to call them different things because monitors tend to be smaller and don't have a coaxial input? Or is there an actual difference between a TV and monitor that I never heard of?

TV's don't have G-Sync and a high hertz I believe. "things good for games" and such.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By IcyEyes

@mellotronrules: @dpep56: TVs and monitors have always been entirely different beast. However, modern TVs have been getting closer and closer to monitors with features like lower input lag, higher refresh rates, and more readable text display. HDR is also a feature only TVs have at the moment. The 120hz refresh rate, G-Sync and HDR support and built-in Nvidia Shield is what sets this apart from a "regular" big screen TV.

Loading Video...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@icyeyes said:

@mellotronrules: @dpep56: TVs and monitors have always been entirely different beast. However, modern TVs have been getting closer and closer to monitors with features like lower input lag, higher refresh rates, and more readable text display. HDR is also a feature only TVs have at the moment. The 120hz refresh rate, G-Sync and HDR support and built-in Nvidia Shield is what sets this apart from all TVs and monitors out there today.

Not (technically) actually true, there were at least 4 monitors in 2017 that did HDR. They were just pretty rubbish at it! I haven't seen one with G-Sync and HDR yet, but there were high refresh rate, Freesync and ultrawide HDR monitors last year, even if they weren't very bright or as high contrast as an HDR TV.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

Green tax will be pretty expensive for these adaptive vsync monitors. I think its worth every penny though. Love my Dell S2417DG

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IcyEyes

@bollard: Well then I stand corrected. I haven't actually checked the status of HDR monitors in some time and just supposed nothing had changed based on hearsay. Thanks for the correction. However, my real goal here was really just to explain the differences between this and a good old fashioned big screen TV.