atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By atejas

^^^Topic

I don't think so myself. And my favourite game is Shadow of The Colossus.
Well, amybe some indie games(Braid comes to mind) but nothing with a dev team.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I think they can be art in many different ways, not just visually. I think a game like Pixel Junk Eden is an example of a game being a piece of art visually, but nothing else. I find Bioshock to be an example of games as art in many ways, both visually and more...

Games may not always be art, but film/music isn't always artistic either...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

http://www.giantbomb.com/games-as-art/92-1094/

discuss it there
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

No.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By KillaMaStA

Ofcourse its art, every game has artist working on it. Theres loads of art in every game....

Games are art=fact

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Warfare
KillaMaStA said:
"Ofcourse its art, every game has artist working on it. Theres loads of art in every game....

Games are art=fact"
Agree.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Black_Raven

Yea i definitely think games can be art, and I'm not just talking about the artistic work that goes into designing the look of the game.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By atejas
KillaMaStA said:
"Ofcourse its art, every game has artist working on it. Theres loads of art in every game....

Games are art=fact"
Concept artist may not = artist
medium with artists=/=art
Basically this is a question about the depth of videogames as a cohesive whole, and I feel you can't reach that sort of thing with a development team. Too many cooks....
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By joshs

Games, in my mind, can be art. At this point though, I can not name one. There are definitely points in games where the visuals, experience, sound, as well as the narrative come together to evoke an emotional response from me. Whether that be anger, sadness, glee, or a myriad of other emotions. That in and of itself qualifies as art to me.
Sure, games have art in them. I can not deny that as that is what I do in my free time. That does not mean that the entire game as a whole is a work of art.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yes.

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cogito

I think it differs on a game by game basis, I would consider some games art and others not at all.
Just like how I think some modern art is not art at all.....I'm looking at you, "Red dot in the center of a blank canvas".

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Bulldog19892

Games are art. A lot of them are not good art, but it's still a relatively infantile medium.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By xruntime

Technically, they are art, but I don't think they should be considered as art, but rather video games. The art complements your game experience - it's an interactive medium, not one you merely look at (graphics), read (plot), or hear (sound).

Therefore I think while the answer to this question is yes, it's an irrelevant question and games should not strive for art above anything else.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xruntime

Wow, you really think COD4 is art? It's a brown mess...the atmosphere is too upbeat....the graphics/atmosphere isn't really that great, I think.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb

No, the single player campaign is art. It's beautiful, the story is incredibly moving and it touches on a current events note that could change your perspective on war.

I think video games are actually one of the highest forms of art, due to the player's interaction which allows them to experience the events and interpret them in more ways than a guy looking at a shelf of Cambell Soup cans.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By KillaMaStA
Cogito said:
"I think it differs on a game by game basis, I would consider some games art and others not at all.
Just like how I think some modern art is not art at all.....I'm looking at you, "Red dot in the center of a blank canvas"."
WHAT!? You do not consider "Red dot in the center of a blank canvas" to be the greatest piece of art in the world?lol

Its all about your definition of art. i believe that if dudes paint pictures of stuff, then its art. And then somebody puts it in a game. Then if its in the game, then why isnt it art anymore? And considering that nearly EVERYTHING in a game goes through a concept art phase, then the entire game is art. Only its all in 3d, so that means that its modern art!

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshs
xruntime said:
"Wow, you really think COD4 is art? It's a brown mess...the atmosphere is too upbeat....the graphics/atmosphere isn't really that great, I think."
While I do agree that Call of Duty 4 is not art, you apparently have taken the term too literally by focusing only on the graphics of the game. For this thread, in my opinion, art is something that evokes true emotional responses from the player.
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshs
KillaMaStA said:
"Cogito said:
"I think it differs on a game by game basis, I would consider some games art and others not at all.
Just like how I think some modern art is not art at all.....I'm looking at you, "Red dot in the center of a blank canvas"."
WHAT!? You do not consider "Red dot in the center of a blank canvas" to be the greatest piece of art in the world?lol

Its all about your definition of art. i believe that if dudes paint pictures of stuff, then its art. And then somebody puts it in a game. Then if its in the game, then why isnt it art anymore? And considering that nearly EVERYTHING in a game goes through a concept art phase, then the entire game is art. Only its all in 3d, so that means that its modern art!

"
The graphics are art, sure. But when it is placed within something with so many different pieces, it does not make the game itself a work of art.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb

Graphics are not art, the game as a whole is art. Anything that makes a message and allows the spectator (or player) to interpret the themes in a way they can make connections to. Don't even try to tell me that GTA IV is not able to evoke any form of emotional response.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshs
BiggerBomb said:
"Graphics are not art, the game as a whole is art. Anything that makes a message and allows the spectator (or player) to interpret the themes in a way they can make connections to. Don't even try to tell me that GTA IV is not able to evoke any form of emotional response."
Grand Theft Auto 4? Are you speaking of the emotion of regret?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas
BiggerBomb said:
Don't even try to tell me that GTA IV is not able to evoke any form of emotional response."

Only in terms of plotline. If, as you say, the whole collective package is to be classified, then stuff like controls and graphics need to be taken into account. And I took exception to both of those in that game. Yeah, I mean all the "Tap A to run" stuff.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb

If anything is created by a person or group of people for a viewer to enjoy, to evoke an emotional response, and/or to send a message it is art. How are movies art but not video games?

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshs

Some movies are.
Tell me, BiggerBomb. Is Uwe Boll's Postal art?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yes. Just because something is crap, does not mean it isn't art. If someone paints a picture and you think there is nothing special about it, if you think it is crap, does that disqualify it from being art?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas
BiggerBomb said:
"If anything is created by a person or group of people for a viewer to enjoy, to evoke an emotional response, and/or to send a message it is art. How are movies art but not video games?"
That's kind of blurring the line. Although you're technically correct, by that definition, stuff like toys are art.
Basically it's a question of symbolic depth and meaning, as opposed to arguing definitions.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yes, most things are created with the creator's impression, or finger print if you will, embedded in every aspect of the art. Anything that is symbolic, representative of a theme greater than the creation itself, is art.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xruntime
BiggerBomb said:
"No, the single player campaign is art. It's beautiful, the story is incredibly moving and it touches on a current events note that could change your perspective on war.

I think video games are actually one of the highest forms of art, due to the player's interaction which allows them to experience the events and interpret them in more ways than a guy looking at a shelf of Cambell Soup cans."
All it does is glorify war. War is nothing like that. You can't execute high-level Middle Eastern leaders on a whim, just because you got a phone call from someone.
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshs
Art?
Art?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb

It does not glorify war, it demonizes war. The running theme of the story is the atrocities of war and man's capability for evil and needless acts of destruction. It might be fun to shoot people, that does not mean it glorifies war.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshs
BiggerBomb said:
"

It does not glorify war, it demonizes war. The running theme of the story is the atrocities of war and man's capability of evil and destructive acts. It might be fun to shoot people, that does not mean it glorifies war.

"
I disagree. It has no true, dynamic, consequence for your actions. It says to shoot everything you see that isn't behind you. That is not how it works.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb
JoshS said:
"
Art?
Art?
"

Yes, you wanted to send a message that what you were creating is not art. The irony is, your creation was meant to serve a purpose; thus making it art.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb
JoshS said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

It does not glorify war, it demonizes war. The running theme of the story is the atrocities of war and man's capability of evil and destructive acts. It might be fun to shoot people, that does not mean it glorifies war.

"
I disagree. It has no true, dynamic, consequence for your actions. It says to shoot everything you see that isn't behind you. That is not how it works."

You aren't reading between the lines or understanding the story. Watch how the story unfolds, the terror that man can unleash and needless deaths that squabbles and misunderstandings can lead to. Sure the game is meant to be fun, it is not meant to make war "cool."
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshs

What about this?

Vinny? >>
Vinny? >>
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
JoshS said:
"What about this?
Vinny? >>
Vinny? >>
"
What are you trying to say? Are you trying to prove that a picture is not art? Photography is not art? Knee-slapping humor is not art? Are you trying to send a message?
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshs

Honestly, I am just trying not to fall asleep. I have been up for 27 hours and it is making me think oddly. Therefore, I entertain myself with Photoshop.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb
JoshS said:
"Honestly, I am just trying not to fall asleep. I have been up for 27 hours and it is making me think oddly. Therefore, I entertain myself with Photoshop."

Why would you do that to yourself?
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By joshs

Not my decision at this point. Family matters have required me to be awake.
But, that is too off-topic for now. I will return later and the discussion shall continue. For now, I need to get something to keep me awake.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb

Ah